Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS 20:27 - Sep 6 with 939 viewsdurham_exile

After the excitement of the last week with four consecutive victories including two in the Cups (virtually unheard of in modern football parlance) it is important for the team to focus solely on the bread and butter of the league as we prepare to welcome Darrell Clarke’s Saddlers to the JobServe Community Stadium.

Clarke has added 16 new signings to the Bescot with only Bradford with 15 new arrivals closest to the total. They started well but have fallen away but make no mistake they will be keen to put things right against the U’s and we must guard against complacency.

JM by contrast is looking to extend this winning run and has made two impressive signings during the past few days. Loanee Theo Robinson, who impressed at Oldham and then at Gillingham, will get the opportunity to open his home account for the U’s whilst it might be too soon for new signing Callum Harriott from Reading. He impressed when on loan four years ago with 7 goals in 23 appearances and this time has signed a two-year deal. Fitness might be key and so I don’t expect to see him in the squad tomorrow. Both signings have impressed Colchester supporters who are beginning to believe that this could be our year for automatic promotion.

They join youngster Freddie Hinds from Bristol City who will play predominantly for the U23’s.

This weekend JM has a selection dilemma which will only increase when Harry Pell, Tom Lapslie and Cohen Bramall return from injury. Sadly, Pell is out until October.

This weekend Brandon Comley and Luke Gambin are also away on International duty with Montserrat and Malta respectively.

JM still has some quality to choose from however:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Clampin

Brown Stevenson Chilvers Senior

Nouble Norris

Subs:
Ross James Hasanally Poku Cowan-Hall Robinson Kensdale

The Goalkeeper and back four pick themselves, whilst young Noah Chilvers should get a start in midfield. Senior and Brown to join them whilst the rejuvenated Nouble and top scorer Norris have formed a good partnership.

The real excitement could come from the bench however with Theo Robinson and Kwame Poku deserving of match time. Indeed, JM could play a front three of Robinson, Nouble and Norris as it is a home fixture. Too adventurous perhaps, but for a few minutes at Boundary Park last week we played with three up front. Exciting times indeed.

The only thing missing so far this season has been the ability to put a team firmly out of the picture. JM must target Walsall as potential whipping boys (no disrespect) but a handsome 4-0 home victory is called for tomorrow.

The Spurs game and a capacity crowd of 10,000 obviously is overshadowing forthcoming fixtures but whilst such games come along occasionally, it is the Saddlers games that offer three points and the chance to climb the table and ultimately to get out of League Two which must be the aim this season.

The weather tomorrow will be partly sunny and 18 degrees Celsius.

A decent crowd after some quality results should make for a good atmosphere.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 22:25 - Sep 6 with 908 viewsGOSBTS

Great preview Durham and many thanks for your warm wishes on the other thread for which will be my first league game of the season. Very excited for this one as other commitments have prevented me from attending the first three home games. It’s a shame Gambin is on international duty as I’d have really enjoyed seeing him play after the skill I saw him possess in the Ipswich friendly. Looking forward to seeing how the new signings impact the squad.

I’ll bring my jacket just in case tomorrow as the weather has turned nippy out of the sun. Up the U’s!
Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 14:29 - Sep 7 with 855 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 22:25 - Sep 6 by GOSBTS

Great preview Durham and many thanks for your warm wishes on the other thread for which will be my first league game of the season. Very excited for this one as other commitments have prevented me from attending the first three home games. It’s a shame Gambin is on international duty as I’d have really enjoyed seeing him play after the skill I saw him possess in the Ipswich friendly. Looking forward to seeing how the new signings impact the squad.

I’ll bring my jacket just in case tomorrow as the weather has turned nippy out of the sun. Up the U’s!

Good news to see Tom Lapslie back

Team
Gerken

Senior Stevenson Lapslie Cowan-Hall

Nouble Norris

Subs
Ross Sowunmi Chilvers Sarpong-Wiredu Poku Robinson Brown

Enjoy the game
4-0 Colchester

Durham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 15:02 - Sep 7 with 848 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 14:29 - Sep 7 by durham_exile

Good news to see Tom Lapslie back

Team
Gerken

Senior Stevenson Lapslie Cowan-Hall

Nouble Norris

Subs
Ross Sowunmi Chilvers Sarpong-Wiredu Poku Robinson Brown

Enjoy the game
4-0 Colchester

U's lead out by Matt Hudson if I heard correctly - lovely touch Colchester United if so!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 15:49 - Sep 7 with 836 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 15:02 - Sep 7 by wessex_exile

U's lead out by Matt Hudson if I heard correctly - lovely touch Colchester United if so!

HT 0-0

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 15:56 - Sep 7 with 831 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 15:49 - Sep 7 by durham_exile

HT 0-0

Come on the U's

Poor at the moment Durham. Really low quality div 4 game. Walsall shown little but having few problems with our lacklustre front players. Nouble well off form so far sadly, Norris the usual carthorse, Cowan-Hall running a lot but ineffective. Eastman best by miles, Senior pathetic and very lucky not to be carded for blatant cheating. Fast appearing to be out of his depth at this level, hope he can raise his game second half. At the mo' we look out of sorts and a 0-0 might be on the cards. We shall see, hoping for a proper second half.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 15:59 - Sep 7 with 828 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 15:56 - Sep 7 by Moor_Pinot

Poor at the moment Durham. Really low quality div 4 game. Walsall shown little but having few problems with our lacklustre front players. Nouble well off form so far sadly, Norris the usual carthorse, Cowan-Hall running a lot but ineffective. Eastman best by miles, Senior pathetic and very lucky not to be carded for blatant cheating. Fast appearing to be out of his depth at this level, hope he can raise his game second half. At the mo' we look out of sorts and a 0-0 might be on the cards. We shall see, hoping for a proper second half.

Pinault a much improved second half clearly required

Theo Robinson required second half

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:01 - Sep 7 with 828 viewsthrillseeker

Winter is on its way. It is rather cold here despite bright sunshine.

Awful game so far.

This is a 1-0
Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:12 - Sep 7 with 823 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:01 - Sep 7 by thrillseeker

Winter is on its way. It is rather cold here despite bright sunshine.

Awful game so far.

This is a 1-0

As I wrote previously 1-0 to the Colchester replaces the old 1-0 to the Arsenal.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:28 - Sep 7 with 812 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:12 - Sep 7 by durham_exile

As I wrote previously 1-0 to the Colchester replaces the old 1-0 to the Arsenal.

UTU's

Brown replaces Cowan-Hall

Come on

Durham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:31 - Sep 7 with 811 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:28 - Sep 7 by durham_exile

Brown replaces Cowan-Hall

Come on

It's dire Durham we need 8 subs. Wish I'd saved me Euros. Worse second half, Frank's not fit, Norris never is and Senior isn't fit to wear our colours today. He'll score now!
We're clueless.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:33 - Sep 7 with 809 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:31 - Sep 7 by Moor_Pinot

It's dire Durham we need 8 subs. Wish I'd saved me Euros. Worse second half, Frank's not fit, Norris never is and Senior isn't fit to wear our colours today. He'll score now!
We're clueless.

Robinson on for Norris

Come on

Durham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:45 - Sep 7 with 802 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:33 - Sep 7 by durham_exile

Robinson on for Norris

Come on

6 mins plus injury

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:52 - Sep 7 with 795 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:45 - Sep 7 by durham_exile

6 mins plus injury

Come on the U's

Poku on for Senior

Durham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:55 - Sep 7 with 791 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:52 - Sep 7 by durham_exile

Poku on for Senior

Bianca Westwood for Sky has just called it 0-0

Another two points lost

Durham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:58 - Sep 7 with 786 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:55 - Sep 7 by durham_exile

Another two points lost

...or, another clean sheet and the unbeaten run continues? However, agree that this should have been 3pts. Ah well, on to FGR, hopefully see any of you that might be travelling there.

Up the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 17:05 - Sep 7 with 781 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 16:55 - Sep 7 by durham_exile

Another two points lost

Awful rubbish Durham. We deserved nothing. Game was abominably refereed but that did not affect the result.
No excuse for such a half hearted passionless performance. No urgency, nothing incisive at all. Most of them looked unfit and as though they'd only just met.
Clampin did okay again, Jackson and Gerken were fine and Lapslie reasonable. Eastman comfortably the only proper good player. Robinson touched it twice in half an hour. Nobody knew he was there.
Commentators tried hard to hide their frustration with Senior but failed and there were several err disagreements among the front players with Senior's attitude as well. I do wish the coaching staff could perhaps help the player to be more effective but today we were really poor. A game to forget, frankly simply not league standard.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 17:11 - Sep 7 with 776 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 17:05 - Sep 7 by Moor_Pinot

Awful rubbish Durham. We deserved nothing. Game was abominably refereed but that did not affect the result.
No excuse for such a half hearted passionless performance. No urgency, nothing incisive at all. Most of them looked unfit and as though they'd only just met.
Clampin did okay again, Jackson and Gerken were fine and Lapslie reasonable. Eastman comfortably the only proper good player. Robinson touched it twice in half an hour. Nobody knew he was there.
Commentators tried hard to hide their frustration with Senior but failed and there were several err disagreements among the front players with Senior's attitude as well. I do wish the coaching staff could perhaps help the player to be more effective but today we were really poor. A game to forget, frankly simply not league standard.

Sorry you witnessed such poor fare.

We should beat teams like Walsall. At least one point keeps the run going.

I do hope that minds haven't wandered to the Spurs game. We need to get out of this shocking league. No more excuses this season for failure.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 18:23 - Sep 7 with 762 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 17:11 - Sep 7 by durham_exile

Sorry you witnessed such poor fare.

We should beat teams like Walsall. At least one point keeps the run going.

I do hope that minds haven't wandered to the Spurs game. We need to get out of this shocking league. No more excuses this season for failure.

UTU's

Attendance 3,265

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 18:28 - Sep 7 with 762 viewsGOSBTS

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 17:05 - Sep 7 by Moor_Pinot

Just home from the game and you've covered most of my initial thoughts spot on Pinault. From the home games I saw last season, one of Colchester's major problems is having no way of beating teams who come to the Community Stadium not wanting to win. It appears that a solution hasn't been found based on today's showing. Walsall had no intention of coming away with 3 points. They time-wasted almost laughably early and were assisted by a referee who gave every single marginal decision the Saddlers way. There were so many passes placed astray and it indeed looked like many of our players had never played with each other before. The U's played far too many balls in the air on what was an incredibly windy day. In games like these I truly believe the U's rely on luck: if they snatch a goal early these are the games we win, but if not there is no Plan B.

Senior would be at a Championship club if it wasn't for his severe shortcomings in decision making. I fear for him that it's something that can't really be taught. He'd be a far better substitute than a starter in my opinion. Paris Cowan-Hall played in two different positions during the game and was impotent in both. I've seen him against Ipswich and now Walsall and I'm still unimpressed. I fear the team have too many players (Poku, Brown, P-CH, Robinson) who are technically gifted but have no fixed position. Are they wingers, number 10s, CAMs? Sometimes I fear the positionally talented player is a dying breed in the modern game of football.

Positives were the players you highlighted Pinault. Eastman was great, Gerkin assured and Clampin very impressive for his age. Applause on 18 minutes for Matty Hudson was a really great touch.

Sorry for my negativity as I haven't seen the U's in prior better performances. Just seemed like same old, same old today!
[Post edited 7 Sep 2019 18:29]
Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 19:41 - Sep 7 with 734 viewsbwildered

A embarrassment of riches, although three first teamers unavailable to the manager, could not produce three points .
Two great saves by Walsall keeper kept the U's at bay, one in each half, but a poachers finish was required in this tight affair. Conditions played apart, has well has some bizarre refs descions, but the final pass or finish was lacking on too many occasions.
Two points dropped if looking for a automatic place, but this will become the norm against sides who know how to frustrate and disrupt games.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 20:33 - Sep 7 with 724 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 19:41 - Sep 7 by bwildered

A embarrassment of riches, although three first teamers unavailable to the manager, could not produce three points .
Two great saves by Walsall keeper kept the U's at bay, one in each half, but a poachers finish was required in this tight affair. Conditions played apart, has well has some bizarre refs descions, but the final pass or finish was lacking on too many occasions.
Two points dropped if looking for a automatic place, but this will become the norm against sides who know how to frustrate and disrupt games.

BW, it is precisely against teams like the Walsall you accurately describe that we need our management to procure results from our players.

That's what good teams do, they beat the average and limited ones like today's opposition. We were not good enough to do so.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 23:11 - Sep 7 with 696 viewsmfb_cufc

Excellent summary by everybody. Today's "performance" shouldn't really be surprising, because our tactics are so one dimensional. The players just appear to be brainwashed by the clubs philosophy, and no matter how good they are as individuals, it is not getting the best out of them. Of course because we only have one way of playing it makes it easy for the opposition to plan how to stop us. I am sure McGreal will be happy with a third consecutive clean sheet, but it is goals that win you promotion, and six in seven games is not good enough.

mfb

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 23:38 - Sep 7 with 692 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to leather the Saddlers at the JobServe CS on 23:11 - Sep 7 by mfb_cufc

Excellent summary by everybody. Today's "performance" shouldn't really be surprising, because our tactics are so one dimensional. The players just appear to be brainwashed by the clubs philosophy, and no matter how good they are as individuals, it is not getting the best out of them. Of course because we only have one way of playing it makes it easy for the opposition to plan how to stop us. I am sure McGreal will be happy with a third consecutive clean sheet, but it is goals that win you promotion, and six in seven games is not good enough.

Defence appears solid but only the bottom four have scored fewer goals than us. With the number of signings “up front” that should be a real concern, even this early in the season.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024