Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header 20:20 - Sep 13 with 1447 viewsdurham_exile

JM and his charges take to the road for a league double header in preparation for next weekend’s home fixture against the Orient and then the little matter of the Spurs Carabao Cup encounter.

JM will be looking to secure the U’s position in the top half of the table and ensuring that minds do not wander too far from the necessity to claim valuable league points.

I will review both games against Forest Green Rovers at the New Lawn and the Tuesday evening game against Swindon at the Energy Check County Ground.

Saturday takes the U’s to Nailsworth in Gloucestershire for the eco friendly club led by Mark Cooper, but former U’s stalwart Matt Mills is unable to play for FGR this time.

A look at the table shows that after 7 games both FGR and Swindon are sitting in the play off positions. It is early but it is also vital that we continue to pick up points to maintain our climb of the table.

Exeter 7 17
Newport 7 15
Crewe 7 15
Swindon 7 14
FGR 7 13
Cheltenham 7 11
Grimsby 7 11
Plymouth 7 11
Macclesfield 7 11
Bradford 7 11
Crawley 7 11
Mansfield 7 9
COL U 7 9

We have a decent record at the New Lawn but last season we lost 3-0 at home (a game that I watched on I follow) during our disastrous phase where we slumped out of the automatic promotion places on a wretched run of results. Another away victory would be very well received by the faithful.

Four points from the next two games would be a handsome return, especially as both fixtures will be close encounters.

The weather in Nailsworth will be sunny and 20 degrees Celsius tomorrow.

On Tuesday we travel to Swindon, doubtless still smarting from their Carabao cup defeat at the JobServe CS. Richie Wellens has obtained maximum value from his striker loanees Jerry Yates from Rotherham and Eoin Doyle from Bradford.

The weather in Swindon is likely to be 15 degrees Celsius with some early Autumnal sunshine in readiness for the evening game. The U’s to battle for a hard-earned point to prepare for the Orient game.

Now JM has a headache ahead of both games with returning players from international duty in Luke Gambin and Brandon Comley but sadly no return yet for Harry Pell. Kwame Poku is likely to remain in the matchday squad whilst Callum Harriott could come into contention this weekend.

There is little doubt about the first five positions:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Clampin

But JM must think long and hard about the midfield:

Does he play Senior and Gambin or go with Stevenson Lapslie and Comley or Wiredu
With perhaps Brown, Nouble and Norris or is there a place for Cowan-Hall or Robinson.
Can Callum Harriott also be drafted in. It is a real selection dilemma for the U’s tactical supremo.

He will already be thinking about his XI for the following Tuesday evening but there are 9 valuable league points up for grabs before that. JM will surely want to keep the unbeaten run going for as long as possible.

Therefore, I reckon the following for FGR tomorrow:

Gerken

Senior Stevenson Lapslie Gambin

Nouble Norris

Subs:
Ross Chilvers Wiredu Brown Robinson Cowan-Hall Comley

JM may consider drafting in Callum Harriott at Swindon on Tuesday with Kwame Poku.
He will also have Cohen Bramall and Omar Sowunmi available for squad selection, but the next two games might be too soon for them.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 07:19 - Sep 14 with 1384 viewsGOSBTS

Great preview as always Durham. For me it’s got to be the formation and lineup you suggested. PCH did nowhere near enough last week to warrant ousting Gambin from the spot for this one.

A point would be a good result. I’m going for a resolute 0-0. Up the U’s!
U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 08:53 - Sep 14 with 1374 viewsdurham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 07:19 - Sep 14 by GOSBTS

Great preview as always Durham. For me it’s got to be the formation and lineup you suggested. PCH did nowhere near enough last week to warrant ousting Gambin from the spot for this one.

A point would be a good result. I’m going for a resolute 0-0. Up the U’s!

GOSBTS I read today that Callum Harriott has a slight injury and is definitely not available for the FGR game.

We have probably four players all vying for the left wing position so when he is fit there is plenty of competition.

I hope that Theo Robinson gets valuable minutes day.

Also hope that you managed to sort the Spurs ticket through Daniel's generosity.

UTU's

Durham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 14:08 - Sep 14 with 1340 viewsdurham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 08:53 - Sep 14 by durham_exile

GOSBTS I read today that Callum Harriott has a slight injury and is definitely not available for the FGR game.

We have probably four players all vying for the left wing position so when he is fit there is plenty of competition.

I hope that Theo Robinson gets valuable minutes day.

Also hope that you managed to sort the Spurs ticket through Daniel's generosity.

UTU's

Team

Gerken
Norris Nouble

Subs
Ross Sowunmi Wiredu Chilvers Cowan-Hall Robinson Poku

No Brown but otherwise pretty much as predicted

Enjoy the game

UTU's

Durham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 15:56 - Sep 14 with 1324 viewsMoor_Pinot

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 14:08 - Sep 14 by durham_exile

Team

Gerken
Norris Nouble

Subs
Ross Sowunmi Wiredu Chilvers Cowan-Hall Robinson Poku

No Brown but otherwise pretty much as predicted

Enjoy the game

UTU's

Wasted my 6 € so far Durham.
Difference from last week is the opposition are goo, far better football team than ours so it's better to watch. 3-0 about right, Gerken has had a strange first half but has prevented at least two further deserved goals. We are slow, chasing shadows and far apart from each other. Lapslie is doing his best, Jackson too but Eastman the only quality. I'm certain Frank's not fit and obviously the carthorse isn't. He's touched the ball three times. Stevenson and Gambin anonymous but we can't get the ball, the opposition are simply out playing us. There's a gulf between the sides at the moment.
Luckily it's only one so you never know!

Moor Pinot

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 16:09 - Sep 14 with 1318 viewsMoor_Pinot

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 15:56 - Sep 14 by Moor_Pinot

Wasted my 6 € so far Durham.
Difference from last week is the opposition are goo, far better football team than ours so it's better to watch. 3-0 about right, Gerken has had a strange first half but has prevented at least two further deserved goals. We are slow, chasing shadows and far apart from each other. Lapslie is doing his best, Jackson too but Eastman the only quality. I'm certain Frank's not fit and obviously the carthorse isn't. He's touched the ball three times. Stevenson and Gambin anonymous but we can't get the ball, the opposition are simply out playing us. There's a gulf between the sides at the moment.
Luckily it's only one so you never know!

Two gilt edge chances missed by FGR, they're all over us.

Moor Pinot

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 16:17 - Sep 14 with 1312 viewsdurham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 16:09 - Sep 14 by Moor_Pinot

Two gilt edge chances missed by FGR, they're all over us.

Pinault just as well I decided not to go

JM must change it up Robinson and Poku to come on
UTU's

Durham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 16:24 - Sep 14 with 1311 viewsdurham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 16:17 - Sep 14 by durham_exile

Pinault just as well I decided not to go

JM must change it up Robinson and Poku to come on
UTU's

66mins
Still 1-0 but JM must make changes now

UTU's

Durham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 16:28 - Sep 14 with 1308 viewsdurham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 16:24 - Sep 14 by durham_exile

66mins
Still 1-0 but JM must make changes now

UTU's

Typical JM he replaces the left back with a left back
Robinson must be brought on

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 16:40 - Sep 14 with 1302 viewsdurham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 16:28 - Sep 14 by durham_exile

Typical JM he replaces the left back with a left back
Robinson must be brought on

All cards played now Robinson and Poku both on for Nouble and Gambin

Can we secure a point

UTU's

Durham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 17:08 - Sep 14 with 1292 viewsMoor_Pinot

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 16:40 - Sep 14 by durham_exile

All cards played now Robinson and Poku both on for Nouble and Gambin

Can we secure a point

UTU's

Sorry Durham we got nothing and deserved nothing. Looked like a team playing a side from the division above. As usual we over fouled, probably because we tried a wee bit harder to get to their players to pinch the ball but we created little. We have no forwards, just creators like Viredu and Poku who tried to make things happen and Senior who didn't because he just falls over. Carthorse and Robinson totally abject. Robinson had our one chance and altho as usual Senior's pass showed scant awareness Robinson still should have scored. Had he done so it would have been unjust.
The goal was preventable - two players not communicating but a draw would have been a travesty for FGR.

We play only one way and teams know that. We actually look very easy to defend against . Teams lacking a forward worthy of the name are never much trouble to an opposition. Frank began the season well but he was crap again today and Stevenson's passing is enough to make me weep. Eastman very good, Lapslie worked hard, Clampin out of his depth for the first time today.
Can't say any more. Our players can do more than they are allowed to I think but we actually look a very ineffective bunch at the moment.

I'd fear the first hammering on Tuesday.

No excuses today. Just reasons and they are discomforting. Better team won by miles and miles.

Bravo the 253 of ours who went.

Moor Pinot

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 17:19 - Sep 14 with 1285 viewsLeadbelly

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 17:08 - Sep 14 by Moor_Pinot

Sorry Durham we got nothing and deserved nothing. Looked like a team playing a side from the division above. As usual we over fouled, probably because we tried a wee bit harder to get to their players to pinch the ball but we created little. We have no forwards, just creators like Viredu and Poku who tried to make things happen and Senior who didn't because he just falls over. Carthorse and Robinson totally abject. Robinson had our one chance and altho as usual Senior's pass showed scant awareness Robinson still should have scored. Had he done so it would have been unjust.
The goal was preventable - two players not communicating but a draw would have been a travesty for FGR.

We play only one way and teams know that. We actually look very easy to defend against . Teams lacking a forward worthy of the name are never much trouble to an opposition. Frank began the season well but he was crap again today and Stevenson's passing is enough to make me weep. Eastman very good, Lapslie worked hard, Clampin out of his depth for the first time today.
Can't say any more. Our players can do more than they are allowed to I think but we actually look a very ineffective bunch at the moment.

No excuses today. Just reasons and they are discomforting. Better team won by miles and miles.

Scoring goals remains a problem. Only Walsall have scored fewer. If McGreal can’t sort this out soon we will be in trouble.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 18:50 - Sep 14 with 1255 viewswessex_exile

Can't be arsed to give a blow-by-blow account, so here's my bullet-point summary of this afternoon:

1 Hot, not bad for mid-October
2 U's largely toothless in attack
3 When we actually gave a shit, FGR were rarely troubled
4 I'd want to see a replay, but it certainly looked like their 'keeper and defender collided, had nothing to do with Frank, who did what he's paid to do and scored...
5 ...and was booked for his troubles!
6 Gerken pulled off some masterly saves to keep us in the match...
7 ...and then nearly blew it with a rush of blood to his head
8 Bernard is a cheat
9 The ref had an absolute shocker, dreadful performance (unless you were wearing green - we were all expecting he'd get the MoM award)
10 I'm surprised Norris still had shirt on by the end
11 On to Swindon, but if we don't start finding the net, it's not looking good

Up the U's

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 19:14 - Sep 14 with 1246 viewsdurham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 18:50 - Sep 14 by wessex_exile

Can't be arsed to give a blow-by-blow account, so here's my bullet-point summary of this afternoon:

1 Hot, not bad for mid-October
2 U's largely toothless in attack
3 When we actually gave a shit, FGR were rarely troubled
4 I'd want to see a replay, but it certainly looked like their 'keeper and defender collided, had nothing to do with Frank, who did what he's paid to do and scored...
5 ...and was booked for his troubles!
6 Gerken pulled off some masterly saves to keep us in the match...
7 ...and then nearly blew it with a rush of blood to his head
8 Bernard is a cheat
9 The ref had an absolute shocker, dreadful performance (unless you were wearing green - we were all expecting he'd get the MoM award)
10 I'm surprised Norris still had shirt on by the end
11 On to Swindon, but if we don't start finding the net, it's not looking good

Up the U's

Wessex thanks for the update. I didn't realise that we had a goal disallowed.

But the goals that wee never prolific have totally dried up.

I wonder if minds are wandering to the Spurs game which if they are is totally unprofessional.

My only other comment is that it is still September!

UTU's

Durham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 19:26 - Sep 14 with 1244 viewswessex_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 19:14 - Sep 14 by durham_exile

Wessex thanks for the update. I didn't realise that we had a goal disallowed.

But the goals that wee never prolific have totally dried up.

I wonder if minds are wandering to the Spurs game which if they are is totally unprofessional.

My only other comment is that it is still September!

UTU's

Haha - oh yes, told you it had been a tricky week at work, felt like a month!

It won't count as a goal disallowed, the ref had already blown for the non-foul unfortunately...

Up the U's

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 21:17 - Sep 14 with 1206 viewsdurham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 17:08 - Sep 14 by Moor_Pinot

Pinault - have just watched the 1:40 of highlights!!!!

As poor as we were - we should have secured an equaliser, the own goal was shocking, but there were two presentable chances second half.

A massive improvement is required on Tuesday night, but if they (the players) have lost focus because of the Spurs game then we should play the youngsters because this is not good enough.

JM must instil enthusiasm and commitment because today was a shambles.

If they want to get out of this basement league then huge improvements are required.

UTU's

Durham_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 08:38 - Sep 15 with 1127 viewswessex_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 19:26 - Sep 14 by wessex_exile

Haha - oh yes, told you it had been a tricky week at work, felt like a month!

It won't count as a goal disallowed, the ref had already blown for the non-foul unfortunately...

...oh, and also realised, think it was actually Wiredu, not Frank - the ‘highlights’ don’t exactly help though.

Up the U's

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 10:12 - Sep 15 with 1107 viewsMoor_Pinot

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 21:17 - Sep 14 by durham_exile

Pinault - have just watched the 1:40 of highlights!!!!

As poor as we were - we should have secured an equaliser, the own goal was shocking, but there were two presentable chances second half.

A massive improvement is required on Tuesday night, but if they (the players) have lost focus because of the Spurs game then we should play the youngsters because this is not good enough.

JM must instil enthusiasm and commitment because today was a shambles.

If they want to get out of this basement league then huge improvements are required.

UTU's

Yes Durham, as I said earlier, despite the poor Senior pass Robinson should have scored easily.

Highlights don't show the many missed chances or the domination of FGR. They were a much better football team - emphasis on team.

Agree with Wessex' 10 points too, spot on. But re-read his third. It's the most worrying and I've flagged it for two seasons now. Quite a few of our lot couldn't be arsed yet again. Precious little evidence of helping out a teammate nor making self available. This was specifically obvious when Poku and Viredu came on, both trying hard to effect change. Robinson is an isolate.
Wessex is right and there was again no urgency no effort to make the most of added time, no awareness of the situation. We are so easy to read and to defend against because we only play one predictable way. We make ordinary sides - Walsall, Port Vale etc look decent and dreadful sides like Cambridge, good.
Few of our lot appear remotely bothered, so I assume that this is how management constructs at the U's. 17th is what we are so 17th it'll be.

Is it time to try Hassanally, Chilvers, Poku, Wiredu etc? It seems to matter more to them. One feels sorry for Eastman, Jackson and Lapslie who do always strive but collectively we do not look great Durham. 6 goals tells its own tale.

I won't be watching on Tuesday night - it has been hard supporting the U's under this type of management.

Passionless = goal-less = 17th at best.
Summat needs to change. Harry Pell isn't a very good footballer but he does inspire and he is sorely missed. We also need a forward as we haven't got any - Frank's not fit or interested at the moment - but I'll leave the demand for some forwards to you Durham!! That's definitely your area!

Moor Pinot

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 12:04 - Sep 16 with 984 viewsmfb_cufc

The player who McGreal rated as the hottest property in League 2 when he signed, doesn't even make the bench against Forest Green. And it was not because he was injured.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/17904238.jevani-brown-left-colchester-unite

Is this another case of a player having to fit into the philosophy, rather than using a system that plays to the players strengths. In my opinion this is the reason why the strong looking squad we have had since we returned to League 2 continues to disappoint.

mfb

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 14:01 - Sep 16 with 963 viewsLeadbelly

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 12:04 - Sep 16 by mfb_cufc

The player who McGreal rated as the hottest property in League 2 when he signed, doesn't even make the bench against Forest Green. And it was not because he was injured.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/17904238.jevani-brown-left-colchester-unite

Is this another case of a player having to fit into the philosophy, rather than using a system that plays to the players strengths. In my opinion this is the reason why the strong looking squad we have had since we returned to League 2 continues to disappoint.

Whether it's the philosophy, the system or the coaching itself I don't know but this is not the first example of a player looking good elsewhere, or for a short period after arrival at Col U, then seeming to fade. Stevenson springs to mind.

If we have a particular philosophy/style of play then surely it is incumbent on those tasked with recruitment to ensure the players they sign will fit in. Or perhaps they believe the philosophy and coaching is so good that all players can be made to fit.

In my opinion we have a fair to middling squad saddled with below par coaching, continually stymied by an absence of dynamism and a win at all costs mentality throughout.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 17:23 - Sep 16 with 923 viewsbwildered

Do not seem to get it now, but remember in the 60's & 70's some transfers collapsed due to club scout finding info that the player was not a good fit for the club.
Shankley was a past master assessing a player for a club, eg Andy Gray was not bought because he was too brave so would be injured to often.
Agents today must bombard clubs with stats and clips of players in action to get deals, with perhaps less emphisis on personality and physiology of players .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 08:03 - Sep 17 with 848 viewsnoah4x4

I was stood ten yards from Wessex and 100% agree with all he saw. But would add FGR's Bernard winked at us when we started chanting "cheat".

The awful Referee gave us little, and was conned by FGR repeatedly. But to be fair, the result does reflect what each deserved on the balance of play over the two halves, but we probably merited a draw given Gerken was magnificent and in a strong second half revival after the substitutions, we fairly put the ball in the net whilst FGR Goalkeeper and Centre Back collided. Norris might as well have not been on the pitch. Odd that he stayed on an Nouble didn't. Lapslie to Full back was a good move with Wiredu ahead.
U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 19:15 - Sep 17 with 748 viewswessex_exile

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 08:03 - Sep 17 by noah4x4

I was stood ten yards from Wessex and 100% agree with all he saw. But would add FGR's Bernard winked at us when we started chanting "cheat".

The awful Referee gave us little, and was conned by FGR repeatedly. But to be fair, the result does reflect what each deserved on the balance of play over the two halves, but we probably merited a draw given Gerken was magnificent and in a strong second half revival after the substitutions, we fairly put the ball in the net whilst FGR Goalkeeper and Centre Back collided. Norris might as well have not been on the pitch. Odd that he stayed on an Nouble didn't. Lapslie to Full back was a good move with Wiredu ahead.

Noah - apologies chap, I will miss you tonight. Just got in from a site meeting, and no chance of getting to the County Ground in time. Good luck cheering us on for the 3pts, I'll be there in spirit!

Up the U's!

Up the U's

U's to maintain recent unbeaten run after Away double-header on 20:47 - Sep 17 with 728 viewsdurham_exile

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024