Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? 22:04 - Sep 19 with 3419 viewsnoah4x4

Colchester & EE win SNEL Essex Division One and promotion.

Essex look favourites for the title in the County Championship given post hurricane rain will wash out Taunton and we are currently 12 points clear.

Essex in T20 Finals (I have tickets - will watch U’s on I-Follow later).

Has the local cricket season ever ended on a better high?

Will be at Spurs and on the bus to Macclesfield, but cricket is still top of my agenda.

Anybody else heading for Edgbaston?

[Post edited 19 Sep 2019 22:05]
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 11:24 - Sep 23 with 721 viewsLeadbelly

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 10:58 - Sep 23 by gerry_us

Great start to the Zummezet game.
Little Chef 2 wickets for 0 runs. Brill

Very good start indeed. Turning already for Harmer and some irregular bounce. Definitely a result pitch, maybe even if it does rain as much as forecast.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 11:54 - Sep 23 with 715 viewsLeadbelly

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 11:24 - Sep 23 by Leadbelly

Very good start indeed. Turning already for Harmer and some irregular bounce. Definitely a result pitch, maybe even if it does rain as much as forecast.

Now 61 - 4. Turning sideways for Harmer.

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 12:06 - Sep 23 with 712 viewsMoor_Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 10:58 - Sep 23 by gerry_us

Great start to the Zummezet game.
Little Chef 2 wickets for 0 runs. Brill

And as I stated earlier in this thread Gerry. There will be more wickets soon, Somerset's one good batsman is a walking lbw and none of their batters average 30. Most are young kids [Banton and Bartlett both 20 I think] They have done ever so well but are not in the same league as Essex nor as grown up. The captain is a nice lad but he';s only 24 I think and naiive yet. Read his pre match interview and compare it to the ruthless win attitude of Harmer and you can see why good old Essex are a much much stronger more experienced unit. If you know how to win - and Essex do = it's a huge advantage over a smaller set up who have waited 144 to win something they are never going to!

[I often used to explain this to SCCC supporters in my 24 years there but they never understood. Their specs - though not Jack Leach's - are for ever rose tinted!]

Essex should win this game well inside the time. The weather will intrude but in my time there it was never ever as bad as forecast.
COuld be another innings win for Essex, wouldn't surprise me. Worthy champions, far better unit all round.

Moor Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 12:19 - Sep 23 with 711 viewsLeadbelly

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 12:06 - Sep 23 by Moor_Pinot

And as I stated earlier in this thread Gerry. There will be more wickets soon, Somerset's one good batsman is a walking lbw and none of their batters average 30. Most are young kids [Banton and Bartlett both 20 I think] They have done ever so well but are not in the same league as Essex nor as grown up. The captain is a nice lad but he';s only 24 I think and naiive yet. Read his pre match interview and compare it to the ruthless win attitude of Harmer and you can see why good old Essex are a much much stronger more experienced unit. If you know how to win - and Essex do = it's a huge advantage over a smaller set up who have waited 144 to win something they are never going to!

[I often used to explain this to SCCC supporters in my 24 years there but they never understood. Their specs - though not Jack Leach's - are for ever rose tinted!]

Essex should win this game well inside the time. The weather will intrude but in my time there it was never ever as bad as forecast.
COuld be another innings win for Essex, wouldn't surprise me. Worthy champions, far better unit all round.

75-4 and just off for rain so an early lunch. Batting far from easy but I take some comfort from your local knowledge Pinault.

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 13:05 - Sep 23 with 705 viewsMoor_Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 12:19 - Sep 23 by Leadbelly

75-4 and just off for rain so an early lunch. Batting far from easy but I take some comfort from your local knowledge Pinault.

Thank you Whalers, I was there a long long time, lovely ground in a horrid town.
But you're unlikely to need comforting because I feel 100% certain of the outcome.
I see the star overseas player number 2 added to his fine contribution of 7, 0, 0, 29 & 6 to comfortably outscore his predecessor Azhar in the overseas player stakes. Between the two they must have scored nearly 350 runs in their 27 knocks. Cracking.

Indeed, a quick look at the card now reveals my prediction for Hildreth was accurate and I see one of the boys lasted two balls against Harmer - he lasted three and one against Abbott last week. The current unbroken partnership is the only one likely to produce any sort of stand.
Gregory will then try to thrash the bowling all over as he did at Chelmsford with some success, Bess will play straight and compile an excellent but slow 7, Overton will also try to thrash the bowling but won't and of course, legend Jack's top score for the county this season is a well-publicised 9.

My spies suggest the rain will set in and may stop around mid-late pm - as was often the case in my years there with the Viking - after that a few more overs may be possible.

We shall see. Batting, as you say, not easy, but Essex bowl straight and that's the key.

Moor Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 15:45 - Sep 23 with 693 viewsmfb_cufc

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 11:54 - Sep 23 by Leadbelly

Now 61 - 4. Turning sideways for Harmer.

I haven't seen any of the action today, but if the wicket is as bad as you are indicating LB Somerset are taking a big gamble, because they are on a final warning regarding an under prepared wicket. That warning was given after the Lancashire game last season. It would be ironic if they were to win the game and then have 25 points docked for a poor pitch.

mfb

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 16:04 - Sep 23 with 691 viewsLeadbelly

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 15:45 - Sep 23 by mfb_cufc

I haven't seen any of the action today, but if the wicket is as bad as you are indicating LB Somerset are taking a big gamble, because they are on a final warning regarding an under prepared wicket. That warning was given after the Lancashire game last season. It would be ironic if they were to win the game and then have 25 points docked for a poor pitch.

That issue has been touched on by the commentators. Surface very dry and taking spin on day one but I’m not sure we’ll know how good or bad it really is due to the amount of time likely to be lost due to the weather.

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:05 - Sep 23 with 681 viewsgerry_us

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 16:04 - Sep 23 by Leadbelly

That issue has been touched on by the commentators. Surface very dry and taking spin on day one but I’m not sure we’ll know how good or bad it really is due to the amount of time likely to be lost due to the weather.

Destined for a draw I fear.....GREAT.

Another cricket question. Who had to tell Johnny Bairstow he was not on the touring party for the NZ and SA tests. Presumably they did it by text, fax, email or telephone but probably not face to face! .
Login to get fewer ads

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:43 - Sep 23 with 674 viewsmfb_cufc

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:05 - Sep 23 by gerry_us

Another cricket question. Who had to tell Johnny Bairstow he was not on the touring party for the NZ and SA tests. Presumably they did it by text, fax, email or telephone but probably not face to face! .

I quite agree Gerry. I would take a draw right now. I am not as confident as Pinault that we will win the game if time allows. The Somerset batting maybe poor, but Essex are quite capable of getting bowled out for low scores both innings themselves.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 18:30]

mfb

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 18:20 - Sep 23 with 670 viewsLeadbelly

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:05 - Sep 23 by gerry_us

Bairstow not in the test squad but has been selected for T20 squad.

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 18:42 - Sep 23 with 660 viewsMoor_Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:43 - Sep 23 by mfb_cufc

I quite agree Gerry. I would take a draw right now. I am not as confident as Pinault that we will win the game if time allows. The Somerset batting maybe poor, but Essex are quite capable of getting bowled out for low scores both innings themselves.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 18:30]

Don't worry Mick, there's a gulf between the two sides. My spies say more rain tomorrow and once Harmer breaks the current massive partnership of 14 this year's performances point to a total of 125-155. Essex will be able to grind out a lead I expect and then get two or three early wickets. I believe Thursday is a little drier. But if Essex don't actually win the game they're well placed already for a draw. They are a much more complete team and deserving champions. Experience counts for such a lot. It will be third second place in four summers for SCCC but they learn nothing because without the depth of experience and proper team balance like at Chelmsford nothing will change!

Moor Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 16:49 - Sep 25 with 618 viewsmfb_cufc

Almost there. No play today, so Essex need to lose all 20 wickets on the last day to lose. Not going to happen.

mfb

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 18:10 - Sep 25 with 600 viewsMoor_Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 16:49 - Sep 25 by mfb_cufc

Almost there. No play today, so Essex need to lose all 20 wickets on the last day to lose. Not going to happen.

Told you not to worry Mick!! All is well, late September in Somerset the weather is always the same and Essex would have won anyway. Much better all round team. Far more experienced, ruthless and professional. I used to argue with the locals for 25 years in Somerset othat unless their culture changed they'd never ever win the CC. Bravo for Essex, another title, I recall their first and they've never forgotten how to achieve success.
For Somerset much needs to change behind the scenes. It's happening, they've just lost their outstanding groundsman to Hampshire (champions next year?) & their CEO!
A couple of players (Bess?) may depart too.

What a great week in Essex sport.

Moor Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 18:38 - Sep 25 with 598 viewsgerry_us

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 16:49 - Sep 25 by mfb_cufc

A real shame that the Championship should be decided at the fat end of September. There was only going to be one result trying to play important games this time of year. They have forgotten that 4 day cricket still supplies players for test match cricket (proper cricket) and to play virtually all matches in early spring and early autumn is unfortunate to say the least.
Besides that, the absolute best all round team will no doubt win the Championship. Well done Essex
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 21:29 - Sep 25 with 586 viewsMoor_Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 18:38 - Sep 25 by gerry_us

A real shame that the Championship should be decided at the fat end of September. There was only going to be one result trying to play important games this time of year. They have forgotten that 4 day cricket still supplies players for test match cricket (proper cricket) and to play virtually all matches in early spring and early autumn is unfortunate to say the least.
Besides that, the absolute best all round team will no doubt win the Championship. Well done Essex

Indeed Gerry, best all round by miles. Men and boys the top two.

Moor Pinot

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:30 - Sep 26 with 556 viewsLeadbelly

Essex confirmed as County Champions for the second time in three years. Brilliant season all round, well done everyone.

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:36 - Sep 26 with 555 viewsgerry_us

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:30 - Sep 26 by Leadbelly

Essex confirmed as County Champions for the second time in three years. Brilliant season all round, well done everyone.

Loved the comment by Rob Key.
"Its like playing on a twelfth day wicket!
I wonder if Somerset will be in trouble about the wicket. Two full days would have been enough for a result.
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:49 - Sep 26 with 552 viewsbwildered

What a sporting week.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 18:11 - Sep 26 with 551 viewsmfb_cufc

I think I was right not to be as confident as Pinault. Without the rain Essex would have struggled to win. Somerset prepared a pitch that should have got them docked 25 points, but probably knew they had a good chance of getting away with it if they won the title as the ECB would find it hard to take the points away if it was the difference between winning or losing the title. I thought it was very sporting of Essex at the end to not try and win the game. Anyway well done Essex for reclaiming the Championship, something they would have been confident of doing with the return of Sir Alistair. Winning the T20 was probably not on the agenda, so it makes it even more sweet winning it.

mfb

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 21:28 - Sep 26 with 531 viewsburnsieespana

Well done Essex and what a week for sport.
Now all we need is a win on Saturday!
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 21:58 - Sep 26 with 520 viewsgerry_us

Would love to see the umpire's pitch report.
Some of the balls bowled by the Somerset spinners in 1st innings were unplayable. The only saving grace in Essex second innings was they had to bowl with a new ball that didn't grip as well as a ball say 20/30 overs old after being worked over by the quickies.
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 16:46 - Sep 27 with 484 viewsnoah4x4

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 21:28 - Sep 26 by burnsieespana

Well done Essex and what a week for sport.
Now all we need is a win on Saturday!

Colchester Utd beat Palace.
Colchester & EE CC win SNEL Div One.
Essex win T20
Colchester Utd beat Spurs
England Rugby beat USA
Essex win County Championship

What a month!

Only one of the above was predictable at the start of August.
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:04 - Sep 27 with 479 viewsgerry_us

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 16:46 - Sep 27 by noah4x4

Colchester Utd beat Palace.
Colchester & EE CC win SNEL Div One.
Essex win T20
Colchester Utd beat Spurs
England Rugby beat USA
Essex win County Championship

What a month!

Only one of the above was predictable at the start of August.

England USA?
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 18:17 - Sep 27 with 472 viewsnoah4x4

What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 17:04 - Sep 27 by gerry_us

England USA?

Tick!
What price an Essex Championship and T20 double? on 20:23 - Sep 29 with 450 viewsgerry_us

Great to hear that Sir Alastair will be playing again next season .....at least. Strange comments from Ravi though. Surely he is not looking to leave after being so involved in a team achieving a double for the first time. Maybe he is playing for time as his contract expired this season. Can't see him playing for any other county though so probably subject to "negotiations?"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024