Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe 21:40 - Sep 20 with 789 viewsdurham_exile

JM will be preparing his charges for the “most important league game of the season” tomorrow but also ensuring that their minds do not drift to Tuesday evening and the Carabao Cup game against Tottenham Hotspur. Three points against Leyton Orient is the bread and butter for the Super U’s, whilst Spurs are a happy distraction.

After the disappointment of a narrow defeat against FGR, JM was not afraid to ring the changes and to his credit the transformation was tremendous at Swindon.

Clampin who was found out against the Eco-friendly team was replaced by Cohen Bramall, Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu came in for Ben Stevenson, whilst promising youngster Kwame Poku and Theo Robinson earned starts. A 3-0 victory did not flatter the U’s and has set them up nicely for the Orient on Saturday.

A decent crowd is expected, perhaps 6,000+ and the majority will be cheering the U’s on for another three valuable points. Make no mistake despite their lowly position, Orient will be coming to make things difficult, but I envisage the U’s will be too strong for their East London neighbours and should see them off 4-0.

It is about time that we start to make the JobServe Community Stadium a fortress. Too many home defeats in recent seasons has ultimately cost us promotion and it is up to the club to transform our fortunes starting tomorrow.

The opportunity for two big crowds in the space of a few days will create atmosphere and hopefully lead to consistent positive home results.

Let’s keep things simple, JM should resist any temptation to make any changes, a combination of youth and experience worked well in Wiltshire and should be repeated tomorrow.

Team:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Comley Wiredu

Senior Poku Nouble

Robinson

Subs:
Lapslie Gambin Brown Sowunmi Chilvers Norris Ross

Harry Pell and Callum Harriot remain injured, whilst Stevenson, Cowan-Hall and Norris are being rested. This is sensible, especially as we have games coming in quick succession and if we can dream of victory Tuesday night then the midweek games will continue at least for another Round.

The league table is still tight:

Exeter 9 21
Crewe 9 18
Cheltenham 9 17
Swindon 9 17
FGR 9 17
Newport 9 16
Crawley 9 15
Cambridge 9 14
Bradford 9 14
Northampton 9 13
Grimsby 9 12
Plymouth 9 12
COL U 9 12

The weather tomorrow is set to remain fine and 20 degrees Celsius. In truth the next few days in Colchester will be pleasant which for late September is a real bonus.

Tomorrow is all about three points, Tuesday will take care of itself, but we can take another big step up the League Two ladder with a handsome home victory. A good performance from the team will also go a long way to securing individual players opportunities against Spurs. Bring it on.

My first home game of the season on Saturday followed by Carabao Cup action on Tuesday, Absolutely brilliant!

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 22:19 - Sep 20 with 777 viewsGOSBTS

Enjoy your first home game of the season Durham! I had been all set to attend this one but have a child's birthday party in the afternoon to go to instead. A wedding anniversary party for one of my wife's colleagues in the evening means I will miss every single sporting event tomorrow: Essex in T20, U's v Orient and Newcastle v Albion on the tele! Oh well I shan't complain as thanks to Daniel I have a seat at Tuesday's night's game against Spurs, for which I am very very thankful!

How do you think Orient will set up? I know very little about them this season. Somebody on the official U's forum made a very astute point about us currently not being able to find a way to break down the team's who come to the Community Stadium wanting a point, like Walsall. At the moment we feel like a team much more comfortable playing away against teams who'll attack us, as then we can hit on the counter which seems to suit the strengths of many of our pacy players. I'd argue it was a similar case last season. I'd like to see McGreal be flexible. However he envisages Orient setting up tomorrow, I'd like to see him choose the best players to counter/respond to their game.

I hope you're right about the 4-0 as that'd do very nicely and give bundles of confidence not just for Tuesday, but also that this season might not be mid-table mediocrity.

Up the U's!
Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 23:38 - Sep 20 with 764 viewsdurham_exile

Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 22:19 - Sep 20 by GOSBTS

Enjoy your first home game of the season Durham! I had been all set to attend this one but have a child's birthday party in the afternoon to go to instead. A wedding anniversary party for one of my wife's colleagues in the evening means I will miss every single sporting event tomorrow: Essex in T20, U's v Orient and Newcastle v Albion on the tele! Oh well I shan't complain as thanks to Daniel I have a seat at Tuesday's night's game against Spurs, for which I am very very thankful!

How do you think Orient will set up? I know very little about them this season. Somebody on the official U's forum made a very astute point about us currently not being able to find a way to break down the team's who come to the Community Stadium wanting a point, like Walsall. At the moment we feel like a team much more comfortable playing away against teams who'll attack us, as then we can hit on the counter which seems to suit the strengths of many of our pacy players. I'd argue it was a similar case last season. I'd like to see McGreal be flexible. However he envisages Orient setting up tomorrow, I'd like to see him choose the best players to counter/respond to their game.

I hope you're right about the 4-0 as that'd do very nicely and give bundles of confidence not just for Tuesday, but also that this season might not be mid-table mediocrity.

Up the U's!

GOSBTS enjoy your family and friends celebrations in the knowledge that you have the Spurs game to look forward to.

Orient will set up 4,5,1 and aim to frustrate and catch us on the break.

Home teams must expect such tactics and aim to break teams down.

There has been a lot of talk about the U's one dimensional play at home but JM showed that he was prepared to make key changes after FGR and I hope that he maintains a similar approach against the O's

UTU's
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 23:40]

Durham_exile

Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 14:46 - Sep 21 with 683 viewsdurham_exile

Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 23:38 - Sep 20 by durham_exile

GOSBTS enjoy your family and friends celebrations in the knowledge that you have the Spurs game to look forward to.

Orient will set up 4,5,1 and aim to frustrate and catch us on the break.

Home teams must expect such tactics and aim to break teams down.

There has been a lot of talk about the U's one dimensional play at home but JM showed that he was prepared to make key changes after FGR and I hope that he maintains a similar approach against the O's

UTU's
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 23:40]

Starting XI unchanged

Pitch immaculate

Decent crowd

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 17:13 - Sep 21 with 645 viewsGOSBTS

Get in Col U! Drove to the stadium just after 4pm to pick something up from club shop. Felt surreal being there but not inside game! Atmosphere sounded good. Listened to all second half on radio and sounded like second half was a gritty but we ground it out. And finally a 2-1 scoreline! A far less mundane week. Well done McGreal and the up the U's!
Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 17:48 - Sep 21 with 634 viewsdurham_exile

Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 17:13 - Sep 21 by GOSBTS

Get in Col U! Drove to the stadium just after 4pm to pick something up from club shop. Felt surreal being there but not inside game! Atmosphere sounded good. Listened to all second half on radio and sounded like second half was a gritty but we ground it out. And finally a 2-1 scoreline! A far less mundane week. Well done McGreal and the up the U's!

A deserved victory even if it was squeaky bum time for the last 10 minutes.

We gifted Orient their goal just before half time and that seemed to affect the team second half.

3-1 would have been a fairer reflection but I'll take another home win ahead of Tuesday night

UTU's

Durham_exile

Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 17:58 - Sep 21 with 627 viewsgerry_us

Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 17:48 - Sep 21 by durham_exile

A deserved victory even if it was squeaky bum time for the last 10 minutes.

We gifted Orient their goal just before half time and that seemed to affect the team second half.

3-1 would have been a fairer reflection but I'll take another home win ahead of Tuesday night

UTU's

Squeaky bum time for the last 10 minutes eh? Hope you were not wearing "those" shorts then...
Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 19:13 - Sep 21 with 602 viewsbwildered

Pretty stuff first half , mascara off second , pretty ugly stuff thereafter .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 18:26 - Sep 22 with 508 viewsbwildered

For those who did not make the game, the U's started brightly and got in front when Poku shot inside the area took a deflection after good work down the right side .
The lead was doubled when Jackson got inside his man and unlatched a drive that flew into the corner with the keeper motionless .
This gave the U's more confidence with the two goal lead, and played some pleasing crisp passing football. Just before halftime a pass was dealt with by Eastman in the box but knocked back to Gerken who instead of clearing lost possession and the forward slipped in to score .
This gave the visitors belief they were not out the game, and although they created better chances in the second half, just could not finish them off, couple from good position. The U's did not help their cause failing to break consistently or effectively . The ref dealt with many off the ball blockages has the game got more physical .
Three welcome points, especially after a win on the road midweek. Just need to dominate more of the game, because when they do, show the have the skill that warrants the strong squad now assembled.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Login to get fewer ads

Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 20:06 - Sep 22 with 492 viewsdurham_exile

Col U to ensure that Orient are not full of Eastern promise at the JobServe on 18:26 - Sep 22 by bwildered

For those who did not make the game, the U's started brightly and got in front when Poku shot inside the area took a deflection after good work down the right side .
The lead was doubled when Jackson got inside his man and unlatched a drive that flew into the corner with the keeper motionless .
This gave the U's more confidence with the two goal lead, and played some pleasing crisp passing football. Just before halftime a pass was dealt with by Eastman in the box but knocked back to Gerken who instead of clearing lost possession and the forward slipped in to score .
This gave the visitors belief they were not out the game, and although they created better chances in the second half, just could not finish them off, couple from good position. The U's did not help their cause failing to break consistently or effectively . The ref dealt with many off the ball blockages has the game got more physical .
Three welcome points, especially after a win on the road midweek. Just need to dominate more of the game, because when they do, show the have the skill that warrants the strong squad now assembled.

Thanks for the match summary bwildered.

As I am currently in Colchester I am keeping previews and reports brief.

If Norwich have Pukki we have Kwame Poku who is a real talent. His footwork is skilful, his ability is unquestionable and his confidence is there for all to see. He must keep his place against Spurs.
With a little more good fortune he might have scored a hattrick on Saturday.

Attendance was good 5,519 including a splendid turnout from Orient of 1,655.

Ryan Jackson was the deserved man of the match, his all round play was great and his goal was a bit special.

The Orient goal was a nonsense, Gerken was unsure whether to pick the ball up and managed to get it caught under his foot. Although Orient played some neat approach play they had not seriously threatened our goal until the mistake.

Cohen Bramall played well as did Brandon Sarpoy-Wiredu. JM is going to have a problem selecting his first XI for Spurs but he could do worse than retain the same starting team. I will muse on this for Tuesdays preview.

Idiot of the week is Ross Embleton whose histrionics on the touch line for Orient were embarrassing. The second goal was fair and it was a Colchester throw in whatever his take on the events.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024