Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fleetwood Match Thread 14:08 - Sep 21 with 12941 viewsboromat

Matty Done misses out. Alby on the bench.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Fleetwood Match Thread on 09:03 - Sep 22 with 3068 viewsTVOS1907

Fleetwood Match Thread on 08:46 - Sep 22 by boromat

Do we remember Bergkamp 🙈

I think we generally get more bad than good when it comes to loans. And that's down to the nature of the signing, you're generally taking a chance on a young player that has no or little first team experience and hoping they take to it.

One of the better signings we've had in the past was Kelvin Etuhu he was awesome in that first spell before getting injured and I thought that could have been the start of a link up with City but that never materialised. And nowadays their youngsters probably make alot more money.

And I bet almost every club gets more bad loan players than good loan players. The advantage is that you haven’t put them on a contract.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Fleetwood Match Thread on 09:52 - Sep 22 with 2945 viewsrichfoad32

Fleetwood Match Thread on 08:46 - Sep 22 by boromat

Do we remember Bergkamp 🙈

I think we generally get more bad than good when it comes to loans. And that's down to the nature of the signing, you're generally taking a chance on a young player that has no or little first team experience and hoping they take to it.

One of the better signings we've had in the past was Kelvin Etuhu he was awesome in that first spell before getting injured and I thought that could have been the start of a link up with City but that never materialised. And nowadays their youngsters probably make alot more money.

Bergkamp and Shamir Fenelon.......At least Sanchez is a goodun, Brighton owed us after those two.
Fleetwood Match Thread on 10:01 - Sep 22 with 2921 views442Dale

Fleetwood Match Thread on 09:52 - Sep 22 by richfoad32

Bergkamp and Shamir Fenelon.......At least Sanchez is a goodun, Brighton owed us after those two.

Sanchez is a good goalkeeper. He commands his box very well and isna good shot stopper. His distribution is excellent when he gets it right but unfortuanately, partly because of the tactics we are employing, that getting it right is reducing in percentage and we are giving up chances to the opposition far too often. Happened again yesterday, went unpunished again fortunately but it’s really starting to become an issue. For all his attributes, which there are many, we are conceding regularly once more, something we looked to have sorted.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fleetwood Match Thread on 11:08 - Sep 22 with 2767 viewsD_Alien

Fleetwood Match Thread on 10:01 - Sep 22 by 442Dale

Sanchez is a good goalkeeper. He commands his box very well and isna good shot stopper. His distribution is excellent when he gets it right but unfortuanately, partly because of the tactics we are employing, that getting it right is reducing in percentage and we are giving up chances to the opposition far too often. Happened again yesterday, went unpunished again fortunately but it’s really starting to become an issue. For all his attributes, which there are many, we are conceding regularly once more, something we looked to have sorted.

It's unbelievable the number of matches being decided by goalkeeping howlers following goalkicks/backpasses - happened again in the Millwall v QPR derby

It ruined Liverpool's Champions League final in 2018

Up to about 2 years ago, you'd see maybe 2 or 3 examples per season of keepers taking risks that led to conceding - now it's every week, and with Dale the threat is constant. Also poses the question - why don't we see us having anywhere near as many opportunities to score from these situations?

It's absolute madness, it's ruining enjoyment of games and it's got to stop. You might as well just have a shit goalkeeper as one who takes unnecessary risks with the ball at his feet

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fleetwood Match Thread on 11:14 - Sep 22 with 2744 views442Dale

Fleetwood Match Thread on 11:08 - Sep 22 by D_Alien

It's unbelievable the number of matches being decided by goalkeeping howlers following goalkicks/backpasses - happened again in the Millwall v QPR derby

Up to about 2 years ago, you'd see maybe 2 or 3 examples per season of keepers taking risks that led to conceding - now it's every week, and with Dale the threat is constant. Also poses the question - why don't we see us having anywhere near as many opportunities to score from these situations?

It's absolute madness, it's ruining enjoyment of games and it's got to stop. You might as well just have a shit goalkeeper as one who takes unnecessary risks with the ball at his feet

Or a perfectly competent, proven L1 keeper.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fleetwood Match Thread on 12:01 - Sep 22 with 2667 viewsrichfoad32

Maybe we don't get as many opportunities because other teams don't take the risks/play the way we do and are more readily willing to employ the agricultural clearance. There might be a lot more howlers today but is it preferable to the 70's and 80's when teams were easily able to see out games by just knocking it back to the 'keeper to pick up, sometimes from somewhere around the halfway line? That wasn't exactly enjoyable to watch either.

The first few games, everybody was purring at Sanchez's ability under pressure and with the ball at his feet, nobody was questioning him. Maybe it's just in his character and it can't be coached out of him and we just have to accept the odd cock up?
Fleetwood Match Thread on 12:05 - Sep 22 with 2657 viewsboromat

Fleetwood Match Thread on 11:14 - Sep 22 by 442Dale

Or a perfectly competent, proven L1 keeper.

And where would we find one of them?

Fleetwood Match Thread on 12:13 - Sep 22 with 2638 viewsD_Alien

Fleetwood Match Thread on 12:01 - Sep 22 by richfoad32

Maybe we don't get as many opportunities because other teams don't take the risks/play the way we do and are more readily willing to employ the agricultural clearance. There might be a lot more howlers today but is it preferable to the 70's and 80's when teams were easily able to see out games by just knocking it back to the 'keeper to pick up, sometimes from somewhere around the halfway line? That wasn't exactly enjoyable to watch either.

The first few games, everybody was purring at Sanchez's ability under pressure and with the ball at his feet, nobody was questioning him. Maybe it's just in his character and it can't be coached out of him and we just have to accept the odd cock up?

Of course it can be coached out of him - just as it would've been coached into him in the first place

BBM (Oirish accent): "Listen Robbo, do that again and you're dropped. It's costing us points and potentially costing me a career in management"

Job done

Login to get fewer ads

Fleetwood Match Thread on 12:23 - Sep 22 with 2609 viewsboromat

Fleetwood Match Thread on 12:13 - Sep 22 by D_Alien

Of course it can be coached out of him - just as it would've been coached into him in the first place

BBM (Oirish accent): "Listen Robbo, do that again and you're dropped. It's costing us points and potentially costing me a career in management"

Job done

To be fair to Sanchez I think he's playing the game exactly the way BBM wants him too. BBM obviously thinks the pros of this system and style outweigh the cons.

Fleetwood Match Thread on 13:46 - Sep 22 with 2473 viewsD_Alien

Fleetwood Match Thread on 12:23 - Sep 22 by boromat

To be fair to Sanchez I think he's playing the game exactly the way BBM wants him too. BBM obviously thinks the pros of this system and style outweigh the cons.

To be fair, i entirely agree, hence my point about it could be coached out of him

Fleetwood Match Thread on 18:56 - Sep 22 with 2227 viewsBigDaveMyCock

A large part of BBM’s success last season was his punt on Alby. He provided that much needed other ‘option’. Hill had it with Davies. After all, you can’t just rely on Hendo all the time. Unfortunately, you also can’t rely on Andrew either to be that option. Yes, he can hold the ball up, win headers and provide a physical presence but if it doesn’t translate into goals it means nothing.
This is a big year for BBM. If he fails he may not get another managerial opportunity. It’s all about opinions and mine is that it would be folly if he were to become reliant on Calvin on the pitch. If Alby can’t be that option again then he needs to bring someone in quickly.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2019 18:57]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Fleetwood Match Thread on 19:36 - Sep 22 with 2149 viewsD_Alien

Fleetwood Match Thread on 18:56 - Sep 22 by BigDaveMyCock

A large part of BBM’s success last season was his punt on Alby. He provided that much needed other ‘option’. Hill had it with Davies. After all, you can’t just rely on Hendo all the time. Unfortunately, you also can’t rely on Andrew either to be that option. Yes, he can hold the ball up, win headers and provide a physical presence but if it doesn’t translate into goals it means nothing.
This is a big year for BBM. If he fails he may not get another managerial opportunity. It’s all about opinions and mine is that it would be folly if he were to become reliant on Calvin on the pitch. If Alby can’t be that option again then he needs to bring someone in quickly.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2019 18:57]

Agree that the pressure is on BBM. Whether he can handle it remains to be seen. He was on a hiding to nothing at the back end of last season; if we'd gone down it wouldn't have been his fault. But this is where reality kicks in, and it's much harder to establish your credentials in L1 than in L2 as his predecessor did

He's had some good publicity and i enjoy his positivity but it needs to translate into consistency of performance - not just in a run of games but during the course of games too

Also agree with your analysis of what's needed up front. Andrew is a useful squad player but not the answer in terms of challenging opposition defences. Again, remains to be seen if Alby can do that another year on

At the back of my mind, i wonder if he's asking his players to do something that's just slightly beyond their capabilities, in the way they're being asked to knock the ball about. It can work over short periods, but it's that consistency thing. If not, does he know what to do about it, and how long before he changes it?

Fleetwood Match Thread on 19:49 - Sep 22 with 2119 viewsfermin

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/sep/21/arsenal-sokratis-papastath

Article is not just about Arsenal.
Fleetwood Match Thread on 20:42 - Sep 22 with 2033 viewsJames1980

Delaney mom

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Fleetwood Match Thread on 20:45 - Sep 22 with 2024 viewsTVOS1907

Fleetwood Match Thread on 20:42 - Sep 22 by James1980

Delaney mom

...in a 3-1 home defeat.

Delaney's style of play is ideally suited to AFC Wimbledon.

Fleetwood Match Thread on 20:47 - Sep 22 with 2017 viewsJames1980

Fleetwood Match Thread on 20:45 - Sep 22 by TVOS1907

...in a 3-1 home defeat.

Delaney's style of play is ideally suited to AFC Wimbledon.

Perhaps it would have been worse were it not for his defensive prowess

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Fleetwood Match Thread on 20:59 - Sep 22 with 1988 viewsTVOS1907

Fleetwood Match Thread on 20:47 - Sep 22 by James1980

Perhaps it would have been worse were it not for his defensive prowess

Yes.

Fleetwood Match Thread on 22:33 - Sep 22 with 1849 views49thseason

Rochdale , after 8 games had the third lowest shots per game (81)in the division and the 9th worst shots on target (31) resulting in the joint 3rd worst number of goals scored (9)
They have faced 104 shots on target , of which 36 were on target and resulted in 12 goals

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots
Fleetwood Match Thread on 10:30 - Sep 23 with 1567 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Fleetwood Match Thread on 12:01 - Sep 22 by richfoad32

We take the risks at the back because we are playing without any out and out forwards. If we had a CF we could use that outlet but it seems BBM, as did Hill, likes to play 5 defenders and 5 midfielders. We were a non-entity going forward and never looked like getting a second goal and I doubt going for it never crossed BBM`s mind.
Pike, not good enough in my eyes and aside from his goal, was anonymous and it is pretty much the same every week with him. Henderson tries to be everywhere which results in him not being where he should be when we attack. He should be playing off a CF as he did when Hogan and Davies were with us.
We take ridiculous risks and no matter how hard you hammer it, you can`t get a square peg into a round hole.
I fear for us on Wednesday and can see United getting double figures without having to try too hard. I hope I`m wrong!
Fleetwood Match Thread on 11:09 - Sep 23 with 1498 viewsD_Alien

Fleetwood Match Thread on 10:30 - Sep 23 by RooleyMoorBlue

We take the risks at the back because we are playing without any out and out forwards. If we had a CF we could use that outlet but it seems BBM, as did Hill, likes to play 5 defenders and 5 midfielders. We were a non-entity going forward and never looked like getting a second goal and I doubt going for it never crossed BBM`s mind.
Pike, not good enough in my eyes and aside from his goal, was anonymous and it is pretty much the same every week with him. Henderson tries to be everywhere which results in him not being where he should be when we attack. He should be playing off a CF as he did when Hogan and Davies were with us.
We take ridiculous risks and no matter how hard you hammer it, you can`t get a square peg into a round hole.
I fear for us on Wednesday and can see United getting double figures without having to try too hard. I hope I`m wrong!

The one thing in our favour, going off the highlights of recent performances, is Utd don't look to have a pressing game in them at the moment. They very much look like they've been coached to allow the opposition to play, on the basis that they'll be better, which of course they're often not

That doesn't alter our own propensity to pressure ourselves into mistakes at the back...

Fleetwood Match Thread on 11:37 - Sep 23 with 1448 viewsParkinsGimp

MJW was amazingly poor at the weekend and I'm sorry I dont see the good in much of his play.
As for relying on Delaney or Andrew to help us in positions , dear god we are not that bad are we?
Fleetwood Match Thread on 13:30 - Sep 23 with 1334 viewsShun

Fleetwood Match Thread on 11:37 - Sep 23 by ParkinsGimp

MJW was amazingly poor at the weekend and I'm sorry I dont see the good in much of his play.
As for relying on Delaney or Andrew to help us in positions , dear god we are not that bad are we?

He was poor, but that’s only because he was moved to central defence. As a defensive midfielder he’s been pretty good all season, and worthy of his place.
Fleetwood Match Thread on 20:15 - Sep 23 with 1105 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Fleetwood Match Thread on 00:47 - Sep 22 by TVOS1907

You asked why we weren’t loaning players from local bigger clubs. I named some that we have currently, as well as last season, in addition to a goalkeeper from a not-so-local bigger club. I can also add Ebanks-Landell to the list from last season.

None of us have any knowledge of how Huddersfield rate Pyke, but your comment about him contradicts everything else in your posts.

I know where Hamilton is. We apparently tried to get him back, but a combination of himself, his people and Man United opted for Southend. Again, that isn’t us not trying to loan in a player from a local bigger club.

You then said I failed to mention other loans that were crap, but that wasn’t your original point, so I’m struggling with its relevance.

City or United could lend us a wonder kid for free!!! Not in the real world they wouldn’t.

Eel was indeed class but I had to at least miss 1.

Whilst I accept what you are saying pyke is ok as he is better than we have, but we have a very weak squad, Sanchez is a loan about our level, but we have 4 goalkeepers currently.

Norrington I agree with totally and Hamilton was purely finance based, though why United feel him being away from home will benefit him more I can only speculate on.

When we loan a player to non league clubs, we often cover the full wage, that’s factual, as we want them to progress, so I don’t see why united or city are any different, if it benefits the player and club long term.

I think a lot depends on back stage interaction, Ferguson’s son got players on loan for fun, frank lampard did last year. If you have a good relationship with certain people then it benefits you, but in the last 10 years I can only recall 1 quality signing from united or city.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Fleetwood Match Thread on 22:07 - Sep 23 with 1001 viewsShun

Fleetwood Match Thread on 20:15 - Sep 23 by Thacks_Rabbits

Eel was indeed class but I had to at least miss 1.

Whilst I accept what you are saying pyke is ok as he is better than we have, but we have a very weak squad, Sanchez is a loan about our level, but we have 4 goalkeepers currently.

Norrington I agree with totally and Hamilton was purely finance based, though why United feel him being away from home will benefit him more I can only speculate on.

When we loan a player to non league clubs, we often cover the full wage, that’s factual, as we want them to progress, so I don’t see why united or city are any different, if it benefits the player and club long term.

I think a lot depends on back stage interaction, Ferguson’s son got players on loan for fun, frank lampard did last year. If you have a good relationship with certain people then it benefits you, but in the last 10 years I can only recall 1 quality signing from united or city.

Off the top of my head, Heaton and Hamilton were both quality, in the past ten years, and from just one of those clubs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024