Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? 21:49 - Sep 24 with 1308 viewsTheHappyGooner

Wow

Wow

Wow

Town will be buzzing

My son brightspurs is absolutely gutted
[Post edited 24 Sep 2019 21:50]

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 22:03 - Sep 24 with 1273 viewsgerry_us

You are obviously not old enough to remember U's 3 Leeds United 2 then?
Still the greatest win ever and forever will be Sir.
Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 22:19 - Sep 24 with 1263 viewsMadeira163

Leeds will always be the famous win
But IMHA the gulf between division 1 and division 4 are greater today with so much tv money on offer .
So I would say both the Palace and tonight’s results come pretty damn close
Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 22:46 - Sep 24 with 1237 viewswessex_exile

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 22:19 - Sep 24 by Madeira163

Leeds will always be the famous win
But IMHA the gulf between division 1 and division 4 are greater today with so much tv money on offer .
So I would say both the Palace and tonight’s results come pretty damn close

Totally - certainly nothing will eclipse Leeds, but two Premier League scalps in one season will take some beating.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 23:16 - Sep 24 with 1218 viewsbwildered

Certainly the greatest at JCS .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 23:21 - Sep 24 with 1215 viewsdurham_exile

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 23:16 - Sep 24 by bwildered

Certainly the greatest at JCS .

I agree nothing will eclipse the Leeds game but tonight was brilliant in every respect.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 23:49 - Sep 24 with 1206 viewsnoah4x4

Just got back. Three of us did two bottles of Malbec before the game then two bottles of Champagne after it in the Layer Suite. Greatest 0-0 I have ever witnessed, at least since Selhurst Park. Against Stevenage or Morecambe we might have been chanting “McGreal Out” with 25% possession and no shots on target in victory .....but here....sheer genius,’

We parked the bus in front of goal and seemingly also blocked the car park that took an hour to empty. Up the mighty U’s. Hope we don’t get Crawley away in next round.
Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 00:07 - Sep 25 with 1196 viewsTheHappyGooner

Thanks chaps 👍😇

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 06:29 - Sep 25 with 1142 viewsGOSBTS

Would I be right in saying this is probably the greatest match/moment in the U’s history at the Community Stadium?
Login to get fewer ads

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 08:25 - Sep 25 with 1122 viewsburnsieespana

Certainly the Community Stadium.
Gutted missed it as was at Palace which was an utterly fantastic night and at Leeds. Three great results but as somebody above says the gulf between the Prem and div 2 is arguably greater now than when we beat Leeds as the top sides can put out two teams that most of the time will best a lower league side...
Well done everybody at Colchester United.
Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 10:46 - Sep 25 with 1074 viewsLeadbelly

For obvious reasons I'd be delighted if this displaced the victory over Leeds Utd as the Us greatest achievement but I don't see how it can. Great though a penalty shootout success against a PL side may be does that really surpass an actual victory against what was the best side in the country at the time?

Well done to all concerned but not greater than beating Leeds Utd...unfortunately!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 10:48 - Sep 25 with 1073 viewsMoor_Pinot

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 06:29 - Sep 25 by GOSBTS

Would I be right in saying this is probably the greatest match/moment in the U’s history at the Community Stadium?

In my opinion GOSBTS Yes!! Wow, fantastic effort from them all. [No more penalties please Mr Brown, you nearly missed at Palace but last night....] Brilliant, obviously not in same league as the Leeds win at LR but this was great. Must transfer that performance to Saturday. No 'tired' excuses either ..... Macclesfield played last night too.

Up the wandering U's stars

Moor Pinot

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 11:01 - Sep 25 with 1073 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 06:29 - Sep 25 by GOSBTS

Completely different cicrumstances but beating Preston to stay in League One was a pretty special match / moment at the Community Stadium.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 12:31 - Sep 25 with 1051 viewswessex_exile

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 10:46 - Sep 25 by Leadbelly

For obvious reasons I'd be delighted if this displaced the victory over Leeds Utd as the Us greatest achievement but I don't see how it can. Great though a penalty shootout success against a PL side may be does that really surpass an actual victory against what was the best side in the country at the time?

Well done to all concerned but not greater than beating Leeds Utd...unfortunately!

Completely agree LB, and I don't think that result will ever be eclipsed by us (or anyone else) whilst we remain in the era of top sides 'resting' their star players for these matches. However, what I will say is that the gulf in class these days between Tier 1 and Tier 4 is far greater than it was back in the 70s, and should someone pull off a giant-killing against a full strength Big 6 side, it would go right to the top of the list in my opinion.

Up the U's

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 16:47 - Sep 25 with 972 viewsgerry_us

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 10:46 - Sep 25 by Leadbelly

I would suggest best side in Europe at that time without a doubt, and they fielded the strongest side available, only Billy Bremner missing if I remember rightly.
That type of shock can never happen again as I doubt that Prem. sides nowadays take minor cup competition very seriously. This is certainly not to belittle U's performance against what was a pretty experience side especially when they finally realised that they may not stroll through the U's and finally loaded the team with internationals.
We must now hope that the confidence they must have gained from this result can be carried forward. Macclesfield will be a different test and whilst we will not win the Caribou Cup, we must certainly be aiming for promotion.
Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 17:43 - Sep 25 with 960 viewspwrightsknees

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 16:47 - Sep 25 by gerry_us

I would suggest best side in Europe at that time without a doubt, and they fielded the strongest side available, only Billy Bremner missing if I remember rightly.
That type of shock can never happen again as I doubt that Prem. sides nowadays take minor cup competition very seriously. This is certainly not to belittle U's performance against what was a pretty experience side especially when they finally realised that they may not stroll through the U's and finally loaded the team with internationals.
We must now hope that the confidence they must have gained from this result can be carried forward. Macclesfield will be a different test and whilst we will not win the Caribou Cup, we must certainly be aiming for promotion.

Quite right Gerry. In fact Leeds had been referred to on occasion as "the best club side in the world" - at least by David Coleman.

And you're right that Billy Bremner was missing from the regular Leeds line-up (replaced by non-international Mick Bates). So was Eddie Gray, but he was replaced by English international Paul Madeley.

There were other differences in those days, too, apart from rule changes. All the players that day were UK/Irish nationals. Only one sub allowed but neither club used one.Today, clubs field players from all over the world with three subs each.
Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 18:41 - Sep 25 with 951 viewsgerry_us

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 17:43 - Sep 25 by pwrightsknees

Quite right Gerry. In fact Leeds had been referred to on occasion as "the best club side in the world" - at least by David Coleman.

And you're right that Billy Bremner was missing from the regular Leeds line-up (replaced by non-international Mick Bates). So was Eddie Gray, but he was replaced by English international Paul Madeley.

There were other differences in those days, too, apart from rule changes. All the players that day were UK/Irish nationals. Only one sub allowed but neither club used one.Today, clubs field players from all over the world with three subs each.

Thanks PWK. Forgotten Eddie Gray was missing but Paul Madeley was a hell of a substitute.
Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 20:21 - Sep 25 with 925 viewseagledares

The Leeds game was special, but the championship win at layer road over ipshite will always have a place in my heart. After growing up on the border with suffolk, and going to manningtree school i had taken a lot of stick over the years, so when doogie scored to set up 1-0 win i was over the moon.
Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 20:57 - Sep 25 with 913 viewsgerry_us

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 20:21 - Sep 25 by eagledares

The Leeds game was special, but the championship win at layer road over ipshite will always have a place in my heart. After growing up on the border with suffolk, and going to manningtree school i had taken a lot of stick over the years, so when doogie scored to set up 1-0 win i was over the moon.

Wow. I remember that game so well. I was living in Minneapolis at the time and my daughter was visiting. Mrs Gerry, my daughter and I went shopping on the proviso that we could have lunch (six hour time difference) in the Brit pub where they showed the footy. There were five of us watching the match, us three and two local Ippy supporters. Wife and daughter went shopping after about half hour of "gentle banter" ....and spent a fortune. After the Doogie goal I didn't care about the cost. One over on Ippy and their two fans.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 21:03]
Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 20:57 - Sep 25 with 913 viewsbwildered

Positive football memories are rare since move to Community Stadium in any big matches, so a decent display and result are most welcome, and something the Chairman has long awaited for.
Alas the new stadium does not compare anywhere near the Layer Rd experience IMHO .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 22:18 - Sep 26 with 812 viewsdurham_exile

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 20:57 - Sep 25 by bwildered

Positive football memories are rare since move to Community Stadium in any big matches, so a decent display and result are most welcome, and something the Chairman has long awaited for.
Alas the new stadium does not compare anywhere near the Layer Rd experience IMHO .

bwildered I agree the Layer Road experience was unique but Tuesday night in front of 9,500 I really enjoyed the atmosphere which was probably the best I have experienced since we moved to the new stadium in 2008.

I usually sit in W2 virtually in line with the penalty area the view is superb, the pitch is immaculate and the facilities are first class.

The club shop now stocks an incredible range of merchandise and the food and drink is of reasonable quality. I know the barside has not been replicated but it probably never could be.

Outside the stadium the fan area, big screen and the car park is all good.

I hope that one day we may be able to increase the stadium capacity to 18,000 for which foundations are already in place.

But we would need to return to the championship for that to happen!

Yes Layer Road was unique but after Tuesday the Job serve has finally arrived.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 01:04 - Sep 27 with 791 viewswessex_exile

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 22:18 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

bwildered I agree the Layer Road experience was unique but Tuesday night in front of 9,500 I really enjoyed the atmosphere which was probably the best I have experienced since we moved to the new stadium in 2008.

I usually sit in W2 virtually in line with the penalty area the view is superb, the pitch is immaculate and the facilities are first class.

The club shop now stocks an incredible range of merchandise and the food and drink is of reasonable quality. I know the barside has not been replicated but it probably never could be.

Outside the stadium the fan area, big screen and the car park is all good.

I hope that one day we may be able to increase the stadium capacity to 18,000 for which foundations are already in place.

But we would need to return to the championship for that to happen!

Yes Layer Road was unique but after Tuesday the Job serve has finally arrived.

UTU's

...and as fantastic as it was, let’s not forget the ‘paddling pool’ toilets at Layer Rd - some things are best left behind

Up the U's

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 08:20 - Sep 27 with 758 viewsdurham_exile

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 01:04 - Sep 27 by wessex_exile

...and as fantastic as it was, let’s not forget the ‘paddling pool’ toilets at Layer Rd - some things are best left behind

Wessex how could I have forgotten.

Mind you the outside toilet at Bootham Crescent complete with duck boards ran them close!

UTU's

Durham_exile

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 16:38 - Sep 27 with 721 viewsnoah4x4

Was that Colchester’s greatest ever win ? on 01:04 - Sep 27 by wessex_exile

I once stood aside Mick McCarthy, Manager of Wolves in the “paddling pool” behind Terrace Four. He moaned about the queue in the dressing room. Then moaned about the cold water in taps/sinks. Some wag then mentioned the cold showers. We beat them whilst they left the pitch devoid of mud. One wonders if the talk of freezing showers was of benefit?
[Post edited 27 Sep 2019 16:39]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024