Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's deservedly defeat Premier League Spurs in thriller 22:15 - Sep 25 with 502 viewsdurham_exile

Tuesday 24th September 2019 will live long in the memory when the lowest ranked team still in the competition defeated Tottenham Hotspur on penalties after the 90 minutes couldn’t separate the teams.

Could this yet be a very special season for the Super U’s. Yes, what we really want is promotion, but a decent cup run is exactly what works wonders for a lower division team.

I see from the stats that not since Bradford City achieved it some years ago has a team defeated two premier league teams on penalties in successive rounds of the competition.
Last night was very special first because there was a 9,481 crowd and the atmosphere was electric from start to finish, secondly as the evening passed you began to believe that the U’s could do it and third the players gave everything for the club, for the supporters and for the manager.

I was indebted to Wessex for reminding met that Theo Robinson was cup tied after barely playing three minutes for Southend in the early cup competition which was a blow after recent good performances.

I was also disappointed that Kwame Poku was not selected either in the first XI or on the bench I do hope that he is not injured after Saturday.

The day had started with rain and showers fell steadily at veracious times during the day, but it was fine and dry at kick off and throughout the game. The pitch was immaculate, and the crowd were buzzing from the start. Not only the South stand but from all three sides of Colchester supporters.

JM had chosen a defensive minded line up:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Senior Stevenson Lapslie Comley Gambin

Nouble

Subs:
Ross Chilvers Clampin Sowunmi Cowan-Hall Norris Brown

Stevenson and Gambin were recalled and Norris again started on the bench.

Mauricio Pochettino by contrast had named a strong team:

Gazzaniga

Walker-Peters Sanchez Tanganga Davies

Dier Skipp Wanyama Alli

Moura Parrott

Subs:
Lloris Vertonghen Sissoko Foyth Son Lamela Eriksen

Forget about the stats 75% possession for Spurs, the scoreline remained 0-0 and in truth apart from a fierce free kick from Tottenham’s best player Lucas Moura, Dean Gerken had little to do first half.

Colchester were content to play deep and Spurs for all their possession lacked a cutting edge.

Jackson obviously played more of the game in the Colchester half but when he did foray forward, he delivered some delightful crosses. Comley, Stevenson and Lapslie worked hard in the midfield and Big Frank got through an incredible amount of work and showed great strength.

Half time and although the scoreline remained goalless, the talk was that Spurs would step it up second half. They were more purposeful, and it was Moura who was the brightest while Alli although classy seemed to be playing within himself whilst Wanyama looked ill at ease and rarely made a telling pass.

Walker-Peters struck the far upright with a cross come shot but in truth Spurs never looked like mounting a serious attack and Colchester were content to sit in and try to catch Spurs on the break through Senior.

JM was forced into a substitute after only 50 minutes when Ryan Jackson went down in his own penalty area and Paris Cowan-Hall replaced him. I think he played his best half of football for Colchester last night, he kept Son quiet and when called upon to move forward looked sharp and lively.

Pochettino was forced to bring on both Son and Eriksen after 66 minutes for Tanganga and Parrott respectively. Now I had read a lot about Troy Parrott and this was to be his opportunity, but he rarely worried the Colchester defence and looked ill at ease up front.

But as the time ticked by Colchester grew in potency and Spurs regressed. Luke Gambin was replaced by Jevani Brown on 68 minutes while Spurs brought Lamela on for Oliver Skipp after 78 minutes.

Suddenly our counter attacks were more dangerous and territorially we grew stronger. Ben Stevenson was replaced by Chuck Norris also on 78 minutes.

Senior, Brown, Nouble and Norris took the fight to Spurs who seemed more and more withdrawn. The Spurs faithful grew quieter whilst the decibel level from the South stand grew louder and louder.

Norris was close to getting his head to what might have been the winner but at the end of 4 additional minutes the sides could not be separated.

So, penalties and could the heroics at Selhurst Park be repeated. Incredibly some people sitting near to me left just before the spot kicks.

Tottenham penalty takers:
Eriksen missed
Alli scored
Lamela scored
Son scored
Moura missed

Colchester penalty takers:
Norris scored
Nouble scored
Brown missed
Cowan-Hall scored
Lapslie scored

So, Colchester prevailed 4-3 but that hardly tells the story. Eriksen’s penalty was brilliantly saved by Gerken, Brown tried the most horrific “Panenka” penalty which was horrible, and Moura hit the bar. Leaving Lapslie to slot home the winner.

Norris showed great emotion when he scored borne out of frustration n that he has been started from the bench again.

The scenes when Tom Lapslie scored were superb, full of emotion and the pitch was covered in the faithful. After some ten minutes Prosser and Norris came back out but the scenes were simply brilliant with everyone totally elated.

I watched the penalty highlights in the back of the satellite TV van which was outside the ground and Gerken’s save looks better every time you see it. It galvanised the support and you could see the Spurs body language change appreciably.

Hopefully Jevani Brown will never ever attempt such madness again when taking a penalty. But let’s not spoil an absolutely outstanding performance and result, which was thoroughly deserved.

The fourth round will be played week commencing 28th October and the Super U’s have been drawn against Crawley Away.

Bring it on

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's deservedly defeat Premier League Spurs in thriller on 15:11 - Sep 26 with 434 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks for that report Durham.
Watched the highlights on Quest last night.
Was musing with a friend about Gerks and fact he is most likely our highest paid player but has more than earned his pay with the tremendous penalty save at Palace (which I watched) & again on Tues night. Somebody said to me he has only conceded 9 goals so far this season.
Beat Crawley and who knows where we can go!
Super U's deservedly defeat Premier League Spurs in thriller on 16:02 - Sep 26 with 431 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's deservedly defeat Premier League Spurs in thriller on 15:11 - Sep 26 by burnsieespana

Thanks for that report Durham.
Watched the highlights on Quest last night.
Was musing with a friend about Gerks and fact he is most likely our highest paid player but has more than earned his pay with the tremendous penalty save at Palace (which I watched) & again on Tues night. Somebody said to me he has only conceded 9 goals so far this season.
Beat Crawley and who knows where we can go!

Well said Burnsie. It's been nice having a proper goalie again....... And yet you know those nine goals could in reality have been just seven as he's made a couple of howlers like v Orient. I forgive him though. Must beat macclesfield well I think.

Moor Pinot

Super U's deservedly defeat Premier League Spurs in thriller on 20:28 - Sep 26 with 413 viewsGOSBTS

Fantastic report Durham, spot on in every respect. Paris C-H absolutely played his best minutes in a Col U shirt. My heart sank when Jackson went off injured, but wow, what a performance from Paris. His diagonal run from the corner near the Spurs fans to half-way through the Spurs half was magnificent. The U's grew and grew in the game and the atmosphere became magical. I had only experienced a similar emotion during the FA Cup semi-final with Brighton against City last season, where there was a 20 minute period in the second half where the whole crowd grew in belief that we could do something special. Alas, it was not to be then, but it was so with the U's as we got better and better as the final whistle loomed.

Senior's game was fascinating to me. He was as frustrating as ever i.e. hardly ever an end product to all his good endeavours. However ironically this was the sort of game where it didn't actually matter. The very fact that he could run 40 yards with the ball pushed the entire team up the field, put Spurs on the back foot and ran another 60 seconds off the clock. That there was no end product didn't matter overly much.

Praise for John McGreal. 3 very positive substitutions that all signalled to Spurs that we weren't just going to put a wall of 11 behind the ball and hope to keep them out. Very brave but was exactly the right thing to do and he read Spurs perfectly. We mustn't forget that by the final whistle Spurs had almost the starting XI they'd have against Saints on Saturday.

Atmosphere electric, and like you said Durham, when big Dean Gerken saved Eriksen's penalty, we believed. Lapslie's winner is a moment I'll never forget. I feel very privileged to have watched such a game, perhaps the best moment at the Community Stadium, in only my second full season supporting the U's. Huge thanks to Daniel again for the ticket.

Up the mighty U's!
[Post edited 26 Sep 2019 20:31]
Super U's deservedly defeat Premier League Spurs in thriller on 21:27 - Sep 26 with 395 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's deservedly defeat Premier League Spurs in thriller on 20:28 - Sep 26 by GOSBTS

Fantastic report Durham, spot on in every respect. Paris C-H absolutely played his best minutes in a Col U shirt. My heart sank when Jackson went off injured, but wow, what a performance from Paris. His diagonal run from the corner near the Spurs fans to half-way through the Spurs half was magnificent. The U's grew and grew in the game and the atmosphere became magical. I had only experienced a similar emotion during the FA Cup semi-final with Brighton against City last season, where there was a 20 minute period in the second half where the whole crowd grew in belief that we could do something special. Alas, it was not to be then, but it was so with the U's as we got better and better as the final whistle loomed.

Senior's game was fascinating to me. He was as frustrating as ever i.e. hardly ever an end product to all his good endeavours. However ironically this was the sort of game where it didn't actually matter. The very fact that he could run 40 yards with the ball pushed the entire team up the field, put Spurs on the back foot and ran another 60 seconds off the clock. That there was no end product didn't matter overly much.

Praise for John McGreal. 3 very positive substitutions that all signalled to Spurs that we weren't just going to put a wall of 11 behind the ball and hope to keep them out. Very brave but was exactly the right thing to do and he read Spurs perfectly. We mustn't forget that by the final whistle Spurs had almost the starting XI they'd have against Saints on Saturday.

Atmosphere electric, and like you said Durham, when big Dean Gerken saved Eriksen's penalty, we believed. Lapslie's winner is a moment I'll never forget. I feel very privileged to have watched such a game, perhaps the best moment at the Community Stadium, in only my second full season supporting the U's. Huge thanks to Daniel again for the ticket.

Up the mighty U's!
[Post edited 26 Sep 2019 20:31]

GOSBTS delighted you enjoyed the game it was a special night.
Senior is frustrating increasingly there is no end product and I don't know why.
Often goes on a mazy dribble and then loses the ball cheaply or runs into a defender.
Perhaps he should aim to offload earlier or look up for close support.
I agree that Spurs grew weaker as the game went on
Parrott didn't impress me but I think the game was too big for him.

Crawley away are beatable.
Now we need to win at Macclesfield on Saturday. Bought my ticket today.

UTU's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024