Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday 12:39 - Nov 1 with 807 viewsdurham_exile

After the euphoria surrounding Tuesday night’s great and thoroughly deserved victory at Crawley, combined with a superb Cup draw against the Red Devils on Wednesday 18th December at 8pm, JM takes his charges to Field Mill on Saturday to do battle with John Dempster’s Stags.

Whilst unable to get to Crawley, I was able to watch the game just like 30 overseas nations could and the picture quality was good, and the English commentary was spot on.

Now whilst it will be difficult for minds to move far from Old Trafford and 70,000 spectators (and a handsome pay day), the number one priority must be the league and three points against Mansfield.

The table is still too close for comfort:

Crewe 15 30
Exeter 16 29
Cheltenham 14 28
FGR 15 28
Swindon 16 27
Bradford 15 27
Newport 15 27
Northampton 16 24
COL U 16 23
………
Mansfield 16 20 (14th)

Mansfield themselves are playing reasonably well and have some dangerous players in Andy Cook, Nicky Maynard and winger Otis Khan. Frankly though the confidence exuded on Tuesday and the quality of the second half power play should be more than enough to see the Stags off.

The problem facing JM is will Chuck Norris be fit for Saturday. Any doubts and he should not be risked. Theo Robinson sits out the game after his ridiculous three game red card ban. He is mercurial and I suspect it is this flaw that will see him return to the Southend relegation haunted squad at Christmas.

Of course, Junior is due back from Derry City in November and must be considered for a striker slot in due course.

JM might wish to blood Jevani Brown (again) if Norris is unfit. Brown has been frankly disappointing since his arrival from Cambridge, but he does have talent and ability. I think it is still too early for Harry Pell, but he may get ten minutes from the bench on Saturday.

So, team:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Stevenson Comley Senior

Poku Nouble Brown

Subs:

Ross Sowunmi Lapslie Harriott Clampin Gambin Pell

Personally, I cannot wait to see Pell play alongside Stevenson and Comley in what must be one of the best midfields in the League.

Sadly, the weather in Mansfield on Saturday looks like 9 degrees Celsius with light rain and a precipitation factor of 79%. There may be some sunshine in short supply perhaps!

Safe journey to the travelling faithful tomorrow. We won’t quite manage 1,700 this weekend but 8,000 in December at Old Trafford will be worth seeing.

Looking forward to kick off.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 16:03 - Nov 1 with 779 viewsburnsieespana

From Spain (was in Torremolinos this week where it was a balmy 29c in mid afternoon) echo your sentiments.
Norris looked like he was just picking up the pace of the team again when he suffers another injury. All I have heard is the club will have to look at it. Seem to recall Swindon fans whilst not wanting him to leave did raise doubts about his ability to remain fit!
What you say about Robinson is most likely why an apparently talented player who can score goals is not helping Southend's relegation battle as he didn't last year either!
Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 17:53 - Nov 1 with 761 viewsBlue4U2

According to BBC website, U's will face Manchester United on Tuesday 17th December
… unless this changes for television
Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 19:19 - Nov 1 with 747 viewsMoor_Pinot

Excellent Durham. And here's to a win at Field Mill.
My concern remains the same that yours was three months ago as we badly need a couple of strikers. Robinson is useless, Brown has so far proved worse than useless - confidence? - while the carthorse is very very inconsistent, looks unfit and probably is despite a good hour on Tuesday . We do have Poku who should be encouraged to take more shots and push up more in support of Frank who himself earns the right to more goals than he gets.
Yes, Junior comes back soon but he won't know anyone which is a challenge for him. I really do think we've an excellent midfield even Pell-less and the keeper, fullbacks and Tom are solid.
So get the attack from somewhere and there could be improvements this season.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 22:59 - Nov 1 with 721 viewsGOSBTS

Thanks for this Durham! I’m actually in Lincolnshire this weekend visiting my mum but can’t really justify nipping off to Nottinghamshire for this one as I don’t see her too often. Hoping that Robinson’s continued suspension gives Gambin more minutes on the pitch and is an opportunity for Brown to bed himself into the team.

Up the U’s!
Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 14:21 - Nov 2 with 680 viewsmfb_cufc

One change with Harriott coming in for injured Norris, and Pell returns on the bench.

mfb

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 15:15 - Nov 2 with 669 viewsGOSBTS

1-0 Comley, great start!
Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 15:52 - Nov 2 with 663 viewsGOSBTS

1-1 Mansfield
Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 15:58 - Nov 2 with 658 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 15:52 - Nov 2 by GOSBTS

1-1 Mansfield

Much the better side overall on a wet surface. Harriot, Stevenson and Nouble excellent but we have missed three very good chances. Defensively we are nowhere near our best and Tom's having an off game. Comleys goal a cracker but he and Stevenson are having to make up too much for Senior's short passes leaving the team exposed going forward. Mansfield have played their part with two good saves from Dean but from what I saw the equaliser should never have stood.
Need to score early I think. Very open game possibly caused by the pitch.

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 16:19 - Nov 2 with 649 viewsmfb_cufc

Nouble misses a penalty again.

mfb

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 16:36 - Nov 2 with 645 viewsmfb_cufc

Harriott hits the post.

mfb

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 16:38 - Nov 2 with 643 viewsGOSBTS

Senior 2-1!!!
Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 16:38 - Nov 2 with 642 viewsmfb_cufc

YEEEEEEES! Senior finally scores to put the U's into a deserved lead.

mfb

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 16:50 - Nov 2 with 640 viewsGOSBTS

Gaaaaaaaambin!!!!
Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 16:57 - Nov 2 with 636 viewsmfb_cufc

Full Time 3-2

mfb

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 17:00 - Nov 2 with 632 viewsGOSBTS

Fantastic, just fantastic! I was just about to write we only win games 3-1, but that late Mansfield consolation at least made it a different scoreline.

With Exeter and Cheltenham losing, will be very interesting to see the table. Notable also that Bradford had a player sent off today (next league opponent), and 2 sent off for Exeter.
Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 17:04 - Nov 2 with 631 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 16:57 - Nov 2 by mfb_cufc

Full Time 3-2

Well deserved win Mick. 7-4 would be about right, we miss far too many chances and a really good side would have punished our average defending today. Mansfield missed several sitters and Gerken was excellent. But overall the press exerted by the excellent Comley and Harriot got its reward. Woeful penalty again - useless, choose someone else, Frank works very hard but for a big strong man rarely gets any power in his shots, he is not a centre forward, we still need one. Poku excellent today and made the second goal superbly.
Lots of mistakes on a slippery pitch against a side who never gave up. By no means a complete performance but the better snappier team won deservedly.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 17:08 - Nov 2 with 626 viewsburnsieespana

All the best sides win even if nowhere near there best so we'll done Colchester.
Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 21:02 - Nov 2 with 575 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 17:08 - Nov 2 by burnsieespana

All the best sides win even if nowhere near there best so we'll done Colchester.

Back from sunny Mansfield.

Thoroughly deserved the win at a boggy Field Mill.

Some of the U's football was breathtaking, great pass and move.

Great to see Harry Pell register some minutes.

JM is going to have a midfield problem but he must play Pell Stevenson and Comley together.

Will pen a report tomorrow.
Hope you got home safely Gerry.

Bring on the Sky Blues.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 08:24 - Nov 3 with 524 viewsGOSBTS

I’m really heartened by:

1) the goals coming from the midfield in recent games.

2) the ability to come back from disadvantaged positions. Last year we had an inability to turn things around mid-game once we fell behind or conceded an equaliser. Stevenage, Newport, Crawley and the Mansfield equaliser all prove the U’s are believing that they can gain 3 points even when they’re behind/level.

Very excited for Coventry at the weekend. Hope McGreal puts out a strong squad as I really do believe we need all the fixtures we can get right now to keep our players hungry and this train rolling.

Bradford at home will be an intriguing encounter. They’ll think they can come and win due to their lofty league position, which might play just into our hands.
Super U's to ensure Stags are in a rut on Saturday on 09:45 - Nov 3 with 513 viewswessex_exile

Three excellent goals too, for three different reasons - a stunning rocket from Comley, individual talent from Senior, and predatory instinct from Gambin.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024