Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS 23:05 - Nov 8 with 1488 viewsdurham_exile

This season is already a bit special for Colchester United, but it has the ability to get even better. Tomorrow we play one of the better teams in League One, who are currently sixth with a realistic chance of promotion under boss Mark Robins. The prospect of a £36K pay day in the FA Cup First Round is an attractive one with potential progress in the EFL Trophy and the Carabao Cup to come in the next few days.

Now I must declare an absolute loathing of Coventry City ever since the 1-1 draw at Highfield Road in 2004 when my youngest son was hit by a missile thrown by one of the Coventry hooligans when we scored against them. The heavy circular metal object was thrown from the so-called Coventry supporters and hit the back of the seat before cracking him on the back of the head.

I was enraged and went to the Police and also asked for a medic to examine my son. I registered a formal complaint with the Police and subsequently wrote to the Chairman of Coventry City, receiving a letter of apology in due course. Although we deservedly won the replay at Layer Road, the shine was well and truly taken off the victory by this mindless act of thuggery.

We move on of course and I have since been to the Ricoh to see Colchester secure a victory and a draw since 2013. In fact, our recent record against the Sky Blues is not bad. Make no mistake this will be difficult, but we have home advantage and our recent form is superb.

This will also be a test of our ability to compete against higher league opposition in a season where we have excelled in the Cup competitions.

A decent crowd should be installed at the JobServe Community Stadium (5,000) to watch in the rain although light showers and some sunny intervals with 9 degrees Celsius is the order of the day.

Regardless of Coventry City’s striking difficulties with Max Biamou sent off last week and facing a three-match ban, they have enough strength in depth to offer a real challenge tomorrow and so we must prepare for a tough game. Ben Stevenson is likely to be targeted by his former club and he will need to be fully focused to avoid any shenanigans from the Sky Blues.

All the pressure is on Coventry, they are losing money with their ground sharing arrangement at St Andrews and Robins has already identified that he will making changes as a result of his lack of strikers, but they have midfield players in abundance.

JM has already hinted at possible changes by utilising his squad to the full with a myriad of games coming up including that game at Old Trafford. Chuck Norris could return, and Harry Pell must also get some game time tomorrow. I suspect he will not start however but could get 30 minutes of the second half.

The news that the Bradford City game is to be rearranged as a result of our three players on International duty is a sensible one. Comley, Gambin and Harriott would all have played some part against the Bantams and so rearranging the game is the most sensible option.

Back to tomorrow, I suspect that JM will play the following:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Comley Stevenson Harriott

Senior Poku

Nouble

Subs:
Ross Sowunmi Brown Norris Lapslie Pell Gambin

I predict the U’s to prevail in a tight game possibly 3-2. Norris, Pell and Gambin are likely to be the three subs utilised during the game.

Cameron James has joined Maidstone United on loan to give him valuable game time. There is no word on Junior’s return from Derry, but it is imminent.

Yes, these are exciting times to be a Colchester supporter and we should fully embrace this great form and enjoy the forthcoming fixtures.

Enjoy the game tomorrow.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 17:49 - Nov 11 with 291 viewsdurham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 17:13 - Nov 11 by wessex_exile

Fair enough Durham, no more about Coventry.

I guess my point was more along the lines of if we have an off-day against indifferent opposition, sometimes we will get away with it. The chances of doing so against any team who have done their homework and on their game are slim to none.

I'm therefore not drawing any conclusions about where we are and where we need to be should we be promoted to League 1, because that performance was well short of what we know we are capable of.

Final thought, if we have rubbish performances in our locker, and it would appear we still do, I'm happier this one was in the FA Cup...

Wessex no slight was intended on your Coventry comments. I had just read JM eulogising about the Sky Blues and my view was enough is enough.

Our inconsistency is worrying because we do not want to achieve promotion only to struggle in league one.

I do hope that minds have not wandered to old Trafford because our league season could peter out.

It is a shame that we played poorly on Saturday but as you correctly point out save the poor performance for that particular cup competition.

UTU's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024