Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trust meeting with directors 18:22 - Nov 14 with 20971 views442Dale

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2019/11/meeting-with-the-directors-nov-2019/

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Trust meeting with directors on 19:06 - Nov 14 with 5817 viewsSuddenLad

So, no money for players in January.

"We got less than you might think from the United game".

We got £463,000 - which the club hadn't budgeted for when the season kicked off. I don't know whether that's more - or less than some people expected. I know it's a significant amount of money and I know the team needs strengthening.

Ambition seems to be sadly lacking.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Trust meeting with directors on 19:24 - Nov 14 with 5773 views442Dale

Dec 18:
https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2018/12/trust-meeting-with-club/
<<“We asked if we would see any change to what we described as being the “Rochdale mentality” in the way the club was run. We were told that the changes were part of the evolution of the Boardroom and the intentions were still to run the club within its means, with the intention to maximise all revenue streams to the benefit of the first team.”>>

Nov 19: (note the specific nature of the question around maintaining the recognised model of the club)
“<<What importance do the directors put on the necessity for investment? If it is required, why now when we have a recognised model of spending what we can afford and selling on players to increase income into the club?
The conversation regarding investment was a lengthy one, and had raised a number of concerns from Trust members at the recent AGM. The concerns from the Trust were that the events at Bury had highlighted what can happen when “investors” come into a club, and that world of football was seemingly filled with stories of investors coming in promising the earth but the ones that prove to be successful were very much in the minority. We have a long history where the Board at Dale have evolved rather than been subject to frequent change, and that has provided a stability and an acceptance of the “Rochdale way”. The Board accepted this but responded that the game has changed in recent years and there is an ever-growing need for financial support in the game. In recent years, we have been heavily reliant on player sales, and we cannot keep hoping that player sales will fill the financial gap. We sold three players in 2018-19, and we cannot as a club assume we will always be able to do that. The Directors said they were very much stewards of the club and they see the investment as being ensuring that there will still be a club to support in another hundred years. Any investor would have to be aligned to the vision of the Board, and it would go without saying that they would be very, very carefully considered.”>>

Trust meeting with directors on 19:31 - Nov 14 with 5747 viewspioneer

Trust meeting with directors on 19:06 - Nov 14 by SuddenLad

We got £463,000 - which the club hadn't budgeted for when the season kicked off. I don't know whether that's more - or less than some people expected. I know it's a significant amount of money and I know the team needs strengthening.

Yes, bit of a contrast with the Henderson interview who seems to be saying if Wycombe why not Rochdale.

Nothing in the responses to the Trust to excite fans Im afraid.
Trust meeting with directors on 19:35 - Nov 14 with 5732 viewsboromat

I don't think £463k goes as far as you think nowadays. A sad state of affairs for the footballing pyramid.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Trust meeting with directors on 19:39 - Nov 14 with 5706 viewsSuddenLad

Trust meeting with directors on 19:35 - Nov 14 by boromat

I don't think £463k goes as far as you think nowadays. A sad state of affairs for the footballing pyramid.

When you haven't budgeted for it, it's manna from heaven. In other words, even before that share of the Carabao match arrived, we were NEVER, ever going to invest in the team in January. A decision presumably made in August.

That's shocking.

Trust meeting with directors on 19:41 - Nov 14 with 5695 viewsD_Alien

I don't see it that way

Our ambition right now is to maintain our League One status - doesn't that match your ambition?

IF - and it's a big if - BBM can build something by bringing in players of increasingly better quality through the channels he's been employing so far, and we start to look like a side that can aim higher than L1, then we'll need a very stable financial position to reach out for that higher level. Committing resources right now wouldn't imo be the right thing

Every single club we're competing with will have their eye on available players who can improve them. We're not going to suddenly start paying bigger salaries to try and lure them to COA, we just haven't got the werewithal to do that

We do need more strength in depth, but without the wage bill becoming a financial burden - that was the bury way. There are things which can be improved upon both on the field and behind the scenes without major additional expenditure. Let's see to those things first, and see where it takes us

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Trust meeting with directors on 20:36 - Nov 14 with 5573 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Sadly Sudden I predicted exactly this in my post on page 3 of the Wrexham (A) thread. But is it just me or do things not quite seem to add up? Just a little “back of a fag packet economics”...
Money in in transfers since jan this year-
Cannon, Raff, McGahey in our jan sale 450k approx?
Adshead 300k?
Dawson sell on 700k?
United receipts 450k. Total 1.9 million give or take, all of it over & above expected revenue.
Money out say 500k in Hills compo?
Draw your own conclusions.
Trust meeting with directors on 20:57 - Nov 14 with 5508 viewsdownunder

Trust meeting with directors on 19:41 - Nov 14 by D_Alien

I don't see it that way

Our ambition right now is to maintain our League One status - doesn't that match your ambition?

IF - and it's a big if - BBM can build something by bringing in players of increasingly better quality through the channels he's been employing so far, and we start to look like a side that can aim higher than L1, then we'll need a very stable financial position to reach out for that higher level. Committing resources right now wouldn't imo be the right thing

Every single club we're competing with will have their eye on available players who can improve them. We're not going to suddenly start paying bigger salaries to try and lure them to COA, we just haven't got the werewithal to do that

We do need more strength in depth, but without the wage bill becoming a financial burden - that was the bury way. There are things which can be improved upon both on the field and behind the scenes without major additional expenditure. Let's see to those things first, and see where it takes us

Valid points D A. Think of it as "not this year, not next year, but maybe we go full tilt after that". We may have hit the jackpot with the sale of our younger "stars". hopefully another cup run by then.
Strengthening the foundations.
Using the money now may only move us up a few places in the league.
Or maybe not? Time will tell.
It is critical that the Trust relay to the board the points raised in the other thread, about raising attendances. All those little glitches need to be ironed out.
Login to get fewer ads

Trust meeting with directors on 21:17 - Nov 14 with 5459 viewsDalenet

Trust meeting with directors on 20:57 - Nov 14 by downunder

Valid points D A. Think of it as "not this year, not next year, but maybe we go full tilt after that". We may have hit the jackpot with the sale of our younger "stars". hopefully another cup run by then.
Strengthening the foundations.
Using the money now may only move us up a few places in the league.
Or maybe not? Time will tell.
It is critical that the Trust relay to the board the points raised in the other thread, about raising attendances. All those little glitches need to be ironed out.

Well we definitely need more customers (I think the days of being called fans has now gone) if we are to sustain a League One status in the years to come. We can't rely on academy sales to survive. One bad season on that front and we are fooked. As the general public now make up less than a third of the cost of running the club we need to accept that commercial income, League money,TV money and transfer sales are critical. I genuinely believe we could have gone the way of bury (eventually) had we been relegated last season. Income would have fallen dramatically from the League etc but costs would have stood still. A couple of seasons losing a million or two and we'd be gone
Trust meeting with directors on 21:21 - Nov 14 with 5453 viewsSuddenLad

Trust meeting with directors on 20:36 - Nov 14 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Sadly Sudden I predicted exactly this in my post on page 3 of the Wrexham (A) thread. But is it just me or do things not quite seem to add up? Just a little “back of a fag packet economics”...
Money in in transfers since jan this year-
Cannon, Raff, McGahey in our jan sale 450k approx?
Adshead 300k?
Dawson sell on 700k?
United receipts 450k. Total 1.9 million give or take, all of it over & above expected revenue.
Money out say 500k in Hills compo?
Draw your own conclusions.

Dawson 'add-on' amounted to £ 900k.
Adshead £400k
McGahey £200k
Cannon £ 100k
Rafferty rumoured to be £200k
Man Utd £460k

Regardless of what is reported/rumoured on here, the balance sheets will eventually reveal all. The fact is there's been a financial input, solely from the above, of a sum approaching £2 million.

You'd think even 10% of that might make its' way to the January transfer window.

Trust meeting with directors on 21:27 - Nov 14 with 5444 viewsDale23years

Trust meeting with directors on 21:21 - Nov 14 by SuddenLad

Dawson 'add-on' amounted to £ 900k.
Adshead £400k
McGahey £200k
Cannon £ 100k
Rafferty rumoured to be £200k
Man Utd £460k

Regardless of what is reported/rumoured on here, the balance sheets will eventually reveal all. The fact is there's been a financial input, solely from the above, of a sum approaching £2 million.

You'd think even 10% of that might make its' way to the January transfer window.

And that will show the reckless spending by Hill and Dunphies, who are the creator's of all this

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Trust meeting with directors on 21:40 - Nov 14 with 5408 viewsscarrow

If McShane moves on and Lillis you'd hope those wages would be put towards new players coming in.

Poll: Final position

Trust meeting with directors on 21:49 - Nov 14 with 5381 viewsSuddenLad

Trust meeting with directors on 21:40 - Nov 14 by scarrow

If McShane moves on and Lillis you'd hope those wages would be put towards new players coming in.

Ah....that word 'hope'.

If the feedback from the Directors meeting is accurate, then there will be no funding available in January. Perhaps that explains the McShane deal. Only here until January. We shall see, but their statement is clear.

Trust meeting with directors on 21:55 - Nov 14 with 5354 viewsscarrow

Trust meeting with directors on 21:49 - Nov 14 by SuddenLad

Ah....that word 'hope'.

If the feedback from the Directors meeting is accurate, then there will be no funding available in January. Perhaps that explains the McShane deal. Only here until January. We shall see, but their statement is clear.

I also take some of this with a pinch of salt - the no funds available has been brought out before and money has been scraped together. If players are moved on/leave whether it's Lillis, Gillam, Andrew. McShane it would be difficult to justify not to put the money back in the playing budget.

Everyone understands money is tight at Dale, it always has been. It's the age old question of needing more through the turnstiles.

Poll: Final position

Trust meeting with directors on 22:02 - Nov 14 with 5333 viewsD_Alien

Ah....that word 'hope'.

So tell us, what do you "hope" would happen? You've referred to maybe £200k being spent. On a transfer fee? Very hit and miss. I think we'll definitely see some player movement in and out, and going from BBM's track record so far, those coming in will be doing so to improve upon our current quality. That'll cost us in a perhaps slightly higher wage bill

My take on the "no additional funding" is that there will be no transfer fees paid; BBM will have a budget which may yet be able to be stretched a little

What else would you suggest?

Trust meeting with directors on 22:17 - Nov 14 with 5288 viewsShun

A highly depressing interview. I’d like to know where the black hole is in this club where the significant amount of money we’ve earned in the past few seasons has disappeared.

Also highly depressing is the one sentence I think we’ve ever heard from the chairman, even if it is transcribed - our aim is to survive.
Trust meeting with directors on 22:22 - Nov 14 with 5264 views442Dale

The main thing is establishing the overall direction of the club, everyone singing from the same hymn sheet. For example: outside investment now required or the model that’s worked so successfully over the last decade?

<<“Given the club have admitted to having “Non-Disclosure agreements” signed, how far along is the club in obtaining investment, and will the club agree to keep the Trust abreast of any club ownership developments as agreed in the MOU?
The Board admitted that they were in negotiations but the nature of a non-disclosure agreement meant that they were limited to what they could say about it. They agreed that they would keep the Trust informed of any potential changes.”>>

It’s good that the club have agreed to keep the Trust informed, as per the MOU, of any potential changes now this issue has been raised - after the news around “non-disclosure agreements” was mentioned in media articles in August.

Trust meeting with directors on 22:29 - Nov 14 with 5230 viewsD_Alien

Trust meeting with directors on 22:17 - Nov 14 by Shun

A highly depressing interview. I’d like to know where the black hole is in this club where the significant amount of money we’ve earned in the past few seasons has disappeared.

Also highly depressing is the one sentence I think we’ve ever heard from the chairman, even if it is transcribed - our aim is to survive.

It's been our aim to survive since 1921, nothing has changed in that respect, and that's through successive chairmen. I'm certainly no apologist for him, but i don't see what he says as being in the least bit depressing; i'd be surprised and slightly disturbed if he said anything else

For instance - "We're aiming for the championship" - coming out with those words would be just the easiest thing, wouldn't it; but pretty empty in truth
[Post edited 14 Nov 2019 22:32]

Trust meeting with directors on 22:30 - Nov 14 with 5228 viewsnordenblue

Trust meeting with directors on 22:17 - Nov 14 by Shun

There certainly seems to be a big old gap,if you factor in the incoming funds from various player sales,add ons,cup run etc combine this with our current far smaller squad we should have in effect more money "available" than in previous years?

Folk talking about the potential budget being saved when McShane moves on want their head feeling,he's the exact type of player we should be bending over backwards to keep if we fancy staying in this league that is.
The comments read about as inspiring as our home record.
Trust meeting with directors on 22:41 - Nov 14 with 5187 viewsTVOS1907

Ah....that word 'hope'.

McShane will want to put himself in the shop window, hoping for a better deal somewhere, possibly down south.

The short term deal suited both parties, especially with his recent injury record.

And if nothing else is forthcoming, he will probably stay with us until the summer for the same reasons.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Trust meeting with directors on 22:56 - Nov 14 with 5156 viewsDale27

Gone are the days when our chairman budgets to lose £300k per season, these days he just wants to make as much money as possible.

Unfortunately, this just doesn’t apply to OUR club, it’s a nationwide thing (in most cases).

Sign of the times I’m afraid.

Greed has got the better...
Trust meeting with directors on 00:16 - Nov 15 with 5072 viewsDalenet

Trust meeting with directors on 22:56 - Nov 14 by Dale27

Gone are the days when our chairman budgets to lose £300k per season, these days he just wants to make as much money as possible.

Unfortunately, this just doesn’t apply to OUR club, it’s a nationwide thing (in most cases).

Sign of the times I’m afraid.

Greed has got the better...

Well that isn't true is it? We could only budget to lose £300k per season if somebody ultimately covered it. I suspect the gap nowadays is closer to a £1m unless we have a cup run or sell players. Our directors don't own the club and take all the value out of it like the Glaziers. There is little value to be had and they probably haven't got the cash or be prepared to cover the gap, Why should we expect that?

Something is wrong and we will just have to see what the accounts suggest in time. But to suggest that they are trying to make money out of the club is disrespectful.
Trust meeting with directors on 02:11 - Nov 15 with 5030 viewspioneer

Dont forget the goalkeeper we are paying for doing precisely nothing.

I cannot take seriously these claims of frugality when the club have signed a gaggle of goalies and not bothered to use the one they already had.
Trust meeting with directors on 07:36 - Nov 15 with 4926 viewsEllDale

At what stage does the conversation happen where the board say to BBM, "we've no money for new recruits BUT we've had a sizeable offer for O'Connell (or Henderson or Rathbone)".
Trust meeting with directors on 08:13 - Nov 15 with 4889 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Trust meeting with directors on 02:11 - Nov 15 by pioneer

Dont forget the goalkeeper we are paying for doing precisely nothing.

I cannot take seriously these claims of frugality when the club have signed a gaggle of goalies and not bothered to use the one they already had.

I don`t think the goalkeeper we had in the first place is available at the moment. I don`t know if it is true but I heard he was suffering mental health issues.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024