Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Was anybody else bored by England tonight? 22:07 - Nov 14 with 765 viewsnoah4x4

First 30 minutes enjoyable, but after that I was bored. In the second half were the England players even interested? Much prefer the cut and thrust of Division Two.
Was anybody else bored by England tonight? on 22:55 - Nov 14 with 752 viewsGOSBTS

Can’t have been worse than the home game against Morecambe though, surely...
Was anybody else bored by England tonight? on 12:19 - Nov 15 with 728 viewsdurham_exile

Was anybody else bored by England tonight? on 22:55 - Nov 14 by GOSBTS

Can’t have been worse than the home game against Morecambe though, surely...

Noah,

It is the old maxim. You can only play the opposition in front of you.

Montenegro were shocking but the job has been done and we move onto Kosovo.

Next year with the major games at Wembley and the Semis and Final too it should be a great opportunity to win a Trophy.

What I would say is that after making key changes the players did lose their way but perhaps that is down to the calibre of changes rather than the scoreline.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Was anybody else bored by England tonight? on 06:18 - Nov 17 with 681 viewsMadeira163

I had a great night
Watched a T20 at Newlands Cape Town , after walked away from ground to find a pub with WiFi so I could get an Uber home
Two tellies , one had the England game the other the Portuguese game (Mrs Eagle is Portuguese)
It was fun and I won 200R as we had a little bet on who would score the most

However spend that on laundry having knocked a glass of red all over my new Essex eagles shirt when England scored their 6th seconds after the Portuguese had got there’s
Was anybody else bored by England tonight? on 08:47 - Nov 18 with 644 viewsburnsieespana

I know smaller nations have to develop but it seems increasingly pointless the bigger nations such as Spain, Italy, etc having to play a series of games against weak opponents.
I ask the question, would it not be better for all if the smaller nations played each other with one going through to the finals a little like in the one day cricket International competitions?
Discuss!
Was anybody else bored by England tonight? on 10:40 - Nov 18 with 640 viewsnoah4x4

Playing for minnows does allow (say) Harriott, Comley and Gambin to feature on the world stage. I would not wish to deny them that opportunity. But if I dug deep enough into my family or overseas residence history I would probably be eligible for selection by a number of countries, not withstanding I have been a footballing donkey since beyond my youth.

However, I was born in England, have only ever visited Poland twice, I can’t speak any Slavic language suffice to communicate with my grandad (RIP) or my cousins in Ukraine (our parents born on former Polish territory). So my name appearing in a Warsaw team sheet would be patently ridiculous, although I would have been a proud Brummie if I had.

Similarly, I believe footballers turning out for their grandfathers nation, when born in Peckham of normally UK resident parents and having never previously visited Africa can’t be right. Others claiming to be “European” hence getting in via the back door (Kolpak etc) is similarly denying English born footballers and cricketers from fulfilling their dreams. How many English born footballers now play in the Premier League? At least cricket does have some limitations on international players, but Kolpak circumvent these.

I stress that Diversity must be embraced and Racism eliminated. But these are different issues to eligibility for any particular national team. I believe one should represent only your country of birth unless your parents were temporarily located overseas and are normally domiciled in another country. Extending this to allow you to adopt the land of your grand-parents is a step too far.

As regards major countries being forced to play minnows, I believe tournaments should be seeded (and generally they are). But whilst we have the European Union, then football authorities probably cannot treat smaller low population member countries any differently from the larger. It is only in the European competitions where England will play a “Montenegro” or “Kosovo” as they are unlikely to ever qualify for a World Cup final 32. Frankly, competition structure doesn’t concern me. But player eligibility does needs attention. What next, Simon Harmer for England......?
Was anybody else bored by England tonight? on 18:07 - Nov 18 with 610 viewsMadeira163

Was anybody else bored by England tonight? on 10:40 - Nov 18 by noah4x4

Playing for minnows does allow (say) Harriott, Comley and Gambin to feature on the world stage. I would not wish to deny them that opportunity. But if I dug deep enough into my family or overseas residence history I would probably be eligible for selection by a number of countries, not withstanding I have been a footballing donkey since beyond my youth.

However, I was born in England, have only ever visited Poland twice, I can’t speak any Slavic language suffice to communicate with my grandad (RIP) or my cousins in Ukraine (our parents born on former Polish territory). So my name appearing in a Warsaw team sheet would be patently ridiculous, although I would have been a proud Brummie if I had.

Similarly, I believe footballers turning out for their grandfathers nation, when born in Peckham of normally UK resident parents and having never previously visited Africa can’t be right. Others claiming to be “European” hence getting in via the back door (Kolpak etc) is similarly denying English born footballers and cricketers from fulfilling their dreams. How many English born footballers now play in the Premier League? At least cricket does have some limitations on international players, but Kolpak circumvent these.

I stress that Diversity must be embraced and Racism eliminated. But these are different issues to eligibility for any particular national team. I believe one should represent only your country of birth unless your parents were temporarily located overseas and are normally domiciled in another country. Extending this to allow you to adopt the land of your grand-parents is a step too far.

As regards major countries being forced to play minnows, I believe tournaments should be seeded (and generally they are). But whilst we have the European Union, then football authorities probably cannot treat smaller low population member countries any differently from the larger. It is only in the European competitions where England will play a “Montenegro” or “Kosovo” as they are unlikely to ever qualify for a World Cup final 32. Frankly, competition structure doesn’t concern me. But player eligibility does needs attention. What next, Simon Harmer for England......?

Frankly, competition structure doesn’t concern me. But player eligibility does needs attention. What next, Simon Harmer for England....

After Thursday night no lol
Was anybody else bored by England tonight? on 20:26 - Nov 18 with 600 viewsbwildered

England still football minnows, having not come close to winning anything since the World Cup on home soil, whoever has put on the three lions shirt from whatever birthplace / background within the qualifying terms.
Playing England does however bring vast commercial considerations which place us on a top pedestal for unseeded minnows to generate income and intrest.

Harmer for England ? Has already been mooted in some circles, but some resistance in future selection. Did we previously had concerns regards KP ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Was anybody else bored by England tonight? on 21:18 - Nov 18 with 594 viewsburnsieespana

I believe Harmer eligible end of next season. If in time for next Ashes, in view of our poor spinner options, would support his selection.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024