Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Struggling with this style of football... 22:19 - Nov 19 with 10142 viewsrochdaleest1907

This possession and pressing game is sooooo boring. Boring. Boring. How is it that it’s become the fashionable way to play? I wanna be entertained for my tenner not bored to tears.

daveofthedale

Struggling with this style of football... on 22:27 - Nov 19 with 5964 viewsD_Alien

I agree. It can be a great watch when played at pace by top class footballers, but when played by players unsure of their first touch and lacking in vision, it can be like toothache

I assume the overall plan is to gradually increase the quality of player we have, through the channels BBM already seems to be establishing. It's likely to be a lengthy process, with the possibility of pitfalls (injuries, transfers out, etc.) at every turn. As others have pointed out though, we started the season on a much more front-footed approach. I want to hear some honest appraisals of where we are, both from the manager and those who employ him

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Struggling with this style of football... on 22:40 - Nov 19 with 5839 views442Dale

It’s not just Dale. It’s everywhere and it’s becoming bloody tedious.
When did we all start using phrases like “high press” and when did 4-3-3 become the de facto formation of virtually every team everywhere?

Maybe it’s the sheer mundane nature of the entire evening that’s magnifying it, but there’s a feeling people are becoming somewhat detached from the modern game. If I’m wrong, fair enough but it will start to get to the point of no return soon. This is an entertainment industry.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Struggling with this style of football... on 22:53 - Nov 19 with 5767 viewsBillyRudd

I have watched Dale for 53 years. In that time I have witnessed some great teams, some truly awful teams and all the teams between those two standards.
However when it comes to the yardstick of entertainment this style of play is in a league of its own.
Sadly if this lack of tempo, constant backpassing and lack of endeavour continues then I fear that all the recent effort to improve season ticket sales and attendances will sadly be undone. Only the truly committed are going to keep turning up for more of that medicine.
I think the Directors have a problem.
Struggling with this style of football... on 23:16 - Nov 19 with 5643 viewsfitzochris

Struggling with this style of football... on 22:40 - Nov 19 by 442Dale

It’s not just Dale. It’s everywhere and it’s becoming bloody tedious.
When did we all start using phrases like “high press” and when did 4-3-3 become the de facto formation of virtually every team everywhere?

Maybe it’s the sheer mundane nature of the entire evening that’s magnifying it, but there’s a feeling people are becoming somewhat detached from the modern game. If I’m wrong, fair enough but it will start to get to the point of no return soon. This is an entertainment industry.

I know your questions are rhetorical and that the gegenpress, when employed by coaches such as Klopp and Pochettino, with players of an elite calibre, can be mesmerising, but at this level, with this standard, it’s grim. My opinion is that this kind of carry on marked the start of Hill’s downfall too. Trying to emulate Barcelona with over complicated nonsense that players at this level can’t live with or buy into. Hill was much better when he utilised players to their strength and had them believing in themselves.

As I’ve said before, I took the Peterborough thrashing with the same pinch of salt I did the Southend victory. The social media fanfare following the latter result, and the subsequent NY Times article, was way over the top. We played fluid football against very poor opposition. What we’re seeing now is a method of football the primary function of which is to stop us getting beat.

This, in my opinion, is a consequence of the squad depth and having only one player in our ranks who can consistently put the opposition to the sword.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Struggling with this style of football... on 23:20 - Nov 19 with 5617 viewsBlueboy

Struggling with this style of football... on 22:53 - Nov 19 by BillyRudd

I have watched Dale for 53 years. In that time I have witnessed some great teams, some truly awful teams and all the teams between those two standards.
However when it comes to the yardstick of entertainment this style of play is in a league of its own.
Sadly if this lack of tempo, constant backpassing and lack of endeavour continues then I fear that all the recent effort to improve season ticket sales and attendances will sadly be undone. Only the truly committed are going to keep turning up for more of that medicine.
I think the Directors have a problem.

Have to agree with everything in this post,tonight was shocking,we were playing a poor non league team and made them look good,its dire to watch,and if I didn't have a season ticket I would not be going again,sick of hearing how we learnt a lot and it was an exciting game and the players gave everything,Sorry BBM its dreadful.
Struggling with this style of football... on 23:25 - Nov 19 with 5582 viewsSuddenLad

Struggling with this style of football... on 23:20 - Nov 19 by Blueboy

Have to agree with everything in this post,tonight was shocking,we were playing a poor non league team and made them look good,its dire to watch,and if I didn't have a season ticket I would not be going again,sick of hearing how we learnt a lot and it was an exciting game and the players gave everything,Sorry BBM its dreadful.

And we won.....

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Struggling with this style of football... on 23:34 - Nov 19 with 5535 viewsBlueboy

Struggling with this style of football... on 23:25 - Nov 19 by SuddenLad

And we won.....

Did we ? Are you happy with just winning,because I'm not I want to be entertained and see some action,if your happy with just winning then fine,different opinions no problem.
Struggling with this style of football... on 23:57 - Nov 19 with 5460 viewsSandyman

Went to both Wrexham cup games. Rochdale's performance in both brings this to mind. We have been that bad and this is how I feel... bored. Why do we bother?

[Post edited 19 Nov 2019 23:59]
Login to get fewer ads

Struggling with this style of football... on 00:20 - Nov 20 with 5397 viewskiwidale

Struggling with this style of football... on 23:25 - Nov 19 by SuddenLad

And we won.....

We won but the style of football according to this tread has been dire and seen our current league form Rochdale P10 W3 D0 L7 and just one goal in two games against a team 4th from bottom two tiers down. Injuries have not helped but maybe a return to the tactics that got us winning games when BBM was first appointed.

This is not the time for bickering.

Struggling with this style of football... on 00:32 - Nov 20 with 5378 viewsDickydaler

I've been a big supporter of bbm's possession football; I still am, but it needs to have a purpose and right now it doesn't. There seems to be a big gap in midfield and that gap is where Ollie Rathbone usually fits in. We miss his drive and speed. Unfortunately we do not have a similar player who can take his place.
At the moment we seem to be playing the ball around at the back waiting for his return.
Of course we all want to win, but we also want to be entertained, and recently that entertainment has been in short supply.
Struggling with this style of football... on 02:16 - Nov 20 with 5308 viewsmacro

Struggling with this style of football... on 23:20 - Nov 19 by Blueboy

Don't go then stay away.

7 players out and with a tiny squad and very limited options off the bench (another argument for another day)

For the first 20 minutes we were in cruise control and looked nailed on to score more. The problems tonight were 2 fold. Done and Keohane aren't quick enough on the break, with RND and Matheson we have some speed which means that the precision passing is more effective. Tonight the full backs being slow combined with Tavares and in particular Pyke having limited affect left no options but to pass the ball sideways or back. At least in that respect we kept possession towards the end of the second half aimless long balls gave the ball back to Wrexham

The other issue tonight was when McShane went off - to cover Williams, Morley and Ryan dropped just in front of the back 4 making in reality a back 6 this cut off the forward line even more.

On Saturday at least the full backs will return and that will make a big difference. It's no surprise that we struggle on the international breaks when 2 key squad players aren't available and this is compounded by the injuries.
Struggling with this style of football... on 02:30 - Nov 20 with 5297 viewspioneer

Struggling with this style of football... on 02:16 - Nov 20 by macro

Don't go then stay away.

7 players out and with a tiny squad and very limited options off the bench (another argument for another day)

For the first 20 minutes we were in cruise control and looked nailed on to score more. The problems tonight were 2 fold. Done and Keohane aren't quick enough on the break, with RND and Matheson we have some speed which means that the precision passing is more effective. Tonight the full backs being slow combined with Tavares and in particular Pyke having limited affect left no options but to pass the ball sideways or back. At least in that respect we kept possession towards the end of the second half aimless long balls gave the ball back to Wrexham

The other issue tonight was when McShane went off - to cover Williams, Morley and Ryan dropped just in front of the back 4 making in reality a back 6 this cut off the forward line even more.

On Saturday at least the full backs will return and that will make a big difference. It's no surprise that we struggle on the international breaks when 2 key squad players aren't available and this is compounded by the injuries.

wow, having to play a back 6 against a poor non league side - we are in a pickle.
Struggling with this style of football... on 06:27 - Nov 20 with 5176 viewsDalenet

Struggling with this style of football... on 02:16 - Nov 20 by macro

Don't go then stay away.

Pathetic retort. We hardly have enough fans as it is and suggesting our own fans stay away. Shakes head in disbelief

I completely understand the injuries and the missing players due to the internationals. But the rest of the players out there are experienced pros. We had players that looked disinterested, hands on hip. Where was the urgency, the pace or the commitment. Where was the encouragement from the side? We just didn't look like we cared or that the game meant anything to some players

I worry that once Reggies record has been broken, Hendo will be off to finish his career at a club that will pay him far more than we do, Then we will be in free fall. People around me were seriously talking about not renewing their season tickets next year. Try telling them they should just put up with it whilst we wait for a 17 year old and a loan players to come back from International duty
Struggling with this style of football... on 09:15 - Nov 20 with 4916 viewstony_roch975

Struggling with this style of football... on 06:27 - Nov 20 by Dalenet

Pathetic retort. We hardly have enough fans as it is and suggesting our own fans stay away. Shakes head in disbelief

I completely understand the injuries and the missing players due to the internationals. But the rest of the players out there are experienced pros. We had players that looked disinterested, hands on hip. Where was the urgency, the pace or the commitment. Where was the encouragement from the side? We just didn't look like we cared or that the game meant anything to some players

I worry that once Reggies record has been broken, Hendo will be off to finish his career at a club that will pay him far more than we do, Then we will be in free fall. People around me were seriously talking about not renewing their season tickets next year. Try telling them they should just put up with it whilst we wait for a 17 year old and a loan players to come back from International duty

Agree we need more fans, then we'll hopefully have the money to overcome an unusually high percentage of injuries to first choice players. Having half our first team regulars unavailable is bound to be damaging - without them our passing/pressing game will be pedestrian. I agree with the rest of Macro's analysis - I think some fans were rather contemptuous of our opponents and expect us to canter to a 10-0 win against non league opposition. We're in with a great shout of another FA 3rd round tie. I don't agree about lack of effort - lack of pace & skill is an issue but it's not through lack of care; experience is no substitute for quality!

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Struggling with this style of football... on 09:29 - Nov 20 with 4891 viewsmacro

Struggling with this style of football... on 06:27 - Nov 20 by Dalenet

Magic money tree then. Get a reality check. Last night wasnt pretty but we won. Negativity and booing is pathetic shakes my head in disbelief at you
Struggling with this style of football... on 09:31 - Nov 20 with 4884 viewsnordenblue

Struggling with this style of football... on 00:20 - Nov 20 by kiwidale

We won but the style of football according to this tread has been dire and seen our current league form Rochdale P10 W3 D0 L7 and just one goal in two games against a team 4th from bottom two tiers down. Injuries have not helped but maybe a return to the tactics that got us winning games when BBM was first appointed.

I think you've been listening to BBM and his oirish accent too much,it's not "tread" it's "thread"
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 9:33]
Struggling with this style of football... on 10:29 - Nov 20 with 4775 viewsChaffRAFC

Last night was absolutely ridiculous.

The first half was a fine performance of possession football, waiting for openings and we deservedly went in 1-0 but the crowd reaction was embarrassing.

The team must dread playing in front of the home supporters.

We'd have created more openings with better options up front, a lack of movement from Pyke and Tavares meant the potential through ball from Morley wasn't on. We all know we need better options but we haven't got them and the board have basically said we might not get them.

We were one of the favourites for relegation before the season started and that was without knowing we'd be relying on 15/16 year olds on the bench. Are we in the relegation zone? Nope. If we stay up then it will be a job very well done given the lack of funds to strengthen the squad.

Get behind the team for goodness sake.

We play a possession based game that's not always going to work, when we win, it's worked, we won last night, not that you can tell!

I think people were happy when Calvin and Wilbraham because it meant we could go route one.

If the players or BBM happen to be reading this, I'm sorry for what you had to hear last night.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Struggling with this style of football... on 10:41 - Nov 20 with 4750 viewstony_roch975

Struggling with this style of football... on 10:29 - Nov 20 by ChaffRAFC

Last night was absolutely ridiculous.

The first half was a fine performance of possession football, waiting for openings and we deservedly went in 1-0 but the crowd reaction was embarrassing.

The team must dread playing in front of the home supporters.

We'd have created more openings with better options up front, a lack of movement from Pyke and Tavares meant the potential through ball from Morley wasn't on. We all know we need better options but we haven't got them and the board have basically said we might not get them.

We were one of the favourites for relegation before the season started and that was without knowing we'd be relying on 15/16 year olds on the bench. Are we in the relegation zone? Nope. If we stay up then it will be a job very well done given the lack of funds to strengthen the squad.

Get behind the team for goodness sake.

We play a possession based game that's not always going to work, when we win, it's worked, we won last night, not that you can tell!

I think people were happy when Calvin and Wilbraham because it meant we could go route one.

If the players or BBM happen to be reading this, I'm sorry for what you had to hear last night.

I have a lot of sympathy for these views but there were a dozen times when Tavares made runs between the CBs and Pyke was free on the left when the telling pass didn't come - so I think there is also some truth in those who argue this style of football depends on quick thinking, highly skilled players who immediately see and make the pass, players who are inevitably in short supply in our squad.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Struggling with this style of football... on 10:55 - Nov 20 with 4729 viewsChaffRAFC

Struggling with this style of football... on 10:41 - Nov 20 by tony_roch975

I have a lot of sympathy for these views but there were a dozen times when Tavares made runs between the CBs and Pyke was free on the left when the telling pass didn't come - so I think there is also some truth in those who argue this style of football depends on quick thinking, highly skilled players who immediately see and make the pass, players who are inevitably in short supply in our squad.

I disagree, I thought Tavares' runs were poor and he was marked very tightly but there were a couple of times where Pyke was free but his movement wasn't great.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Struggling with this style of football... on 11:29 - Nov 20 with 4650 viewsDaleyBrent

Going to try and bring a balanced argument to this whole debacle...

Looking completely objectively at the last few performances: Both Wrexham games were extremely poor. No hiding behind that. We got away with it. The last 3 league defeats have represented really strong performances without the results to match. Performances were much greater than the wins against Bolton & Accrington. So, in a performance sense there’s no need to panic. Granted, both Wrexham games have been abysmal.

At the end of the day, BBM is trying to build an identity and a clear and concise way of playing as a football club. At the moment, we’re having to stick to this with circa 13 fit professionals, of which some clearly aren’t up to the standard left from the KH era. We’re having to stick to this with absolutely no backing from the board in terms of the playing squad. BBM has managed to sign 2 outfield players permanently. How on earth are we meant to progress as a club with that level of backing in the 3rd tier of English football?!

This young management team and squad need our SUPPORT, not our constant slating of keeping the ball. There are some tactical aspects to our game which I’m not a great fan of, including two holding midfielders dropping to receive the ball in full back areas. It leaves us more often than not playing a hopeful diagonal which we usually lose, leaving us exposed in midfield. So I’m not totally BBM hyped.

Hope this gives some of the “Gerrit Forward” brigade some radical thought on our team at the minute. Keeping the ball is not the problem, it’s the solution.
Struggling with this style of football... on 11:34 - Nov 20 with 4638 viewskiwidale

Struggling with this style of football... on 09:31 - Nov 20 by nordenblue

I think you've been listening to BBM and his oirish accent too much,it's not "tread" it's "thread"
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 9:33]

So I will so I will.

This is not the time for bickering.

Struggling with this style of football... on 12:13 - Nov 20 with 4548 viewsdingdangblue

All you need to know from the worlds ELITE coaches...

https://elitesoccercoaching.net/tactic/pressing/

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Struggling with this style of football... on 12:31 - Nov 20 with 4512 views442Dale

Struggling with this style of football... on 12:13 - Nov 20 by dingdangblue

All you need to know from the worlds ELITE coaches...

https://elitesoccercoaching.net/tactic/pressing/

Yeah, Gary Waddock. Proper elite.

I’m all for focusing on tactics and styles of play but the complexity is taking far too much fun out of the game. Accept everyone is different.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Struggling with this style of football... on 12:42 - Nov 20 with 4447 viewsdingdangblue

Struggling with this style of football... on 12:31 - Nov 20 by 442Dale

Yeah, Gary Waddock. Proper elite.

I’m all for focusing on tactics and styles of play but the complexity is taking far too much fun out of the game. Accept everyone is different.

Chris Beech is in there.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Struggling with this style of football... on 12:53 - Nov 20 with 4425 viewsborntogo

I think most Rochdale fans are commendably patient. What we saw last night was players consistently making negative decisions and playing safe, square passes from the position they received the ball. No one was willing to carry it and potentially create overloads.

This isn't anything to do with tactics or injuries but a state of mind which BBM needs to address urgently, unless he is happy with it and actually endorses it.

Driving home last night, I remembered that BBM was a bit like that as a player himself, seldom risking a progressive pass or taking players on. Makes you wonder.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024