Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's 14:07 - Dec 17 with 2292 viewsdurham_exile

It has seemed like an absolute age since the Carabao Cup Quarter Finals draw was made, but it is almost upon us now. The U’s warmed up for the game by taking a point at Scunthorpe on Saturday whilst Manchester United huffed and puffed against a resurgent Everton team and managed a draw. This of course is their achilles heel this season. They struggle against teams that they really should put away but save their best performances for the big teams and occasions.

Now an element of reality suggests that Colchester have little chance against their illustrious opponents on Wednesday night. Don’t forget that it is an 8pm start at Old Trafford and so we all face a late finish and journey home. But it will all be worth it.

Lets get the moans out of the way first. Our game is the only one not being televised. Something to do with the fact that the media generally dislike Colchester. Certainly, Jeff Stelling does. But like Millwall everyone hates us, but we don’t care. If you live in over 25 foreign countries, you can stream the game live. It is an absolute nonsense but all the more reason why I truly hope that we can overcome the odds and produce a third giant-killing act to see off the Red Devils.

Everyone knows that we have played Manchester United twice before. I was at Layer Road in 1979 for the famous FA Cup tie where we were unlucky not to achieve a replay. Jimmy Greenhoff securing a Manchester win with an 85th minute goal.

But Wednesday night will be extra special because in front of over 60,000 the Super U’s will be roared on by 5,500 of the faithful (plus some in the Stretford End). The game will be a money spinner for Colchester and will take earnings from the Carabao Cup so far to close on £800,000. Absolutely invaluable cash for our club.

Now it seems that everyone has a view on what team Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (OGS) will field for this match. I have seen four different line ups. His problem is that although he will rotate his large squad with Christmas coming up and important league matches, he cannot play too weakened a team because the defeat must be unthinkable for them.

One thing is certain Paul Pogba will not play. No surprise there. Whatever you view of Manchester United they have not been well served by Pogba who apparently is now ill after his long lay off with a leg injury. My advice to United is ship him out in the transfer window for £150M. The guy is toxic and not worth the hassle.

I think OGS will go with:

Sergio Romero

Diogo Dalot Axel Tuanzebe Phil Jones Brandon Williams

James Garner Nemanja Matic Juan Mata

Daniel James Andreas Pereira

Mason Greenwood

Subs:
Lee Grant (GK) Marcus Rashford, Fred, Ethan Laird, Tahith Chong, Harry Maguire, Scott McTominay

Thinking a mixture of youth and experience. Mason Greenwood is the one player that I really fear. He is lightning fast and a natural finisher. Unlike Parrott for Spurs who was hyped up in the previous game (before Crawley) Greenwood is the real deal and a very exciting prospect.

Phil Jones may play along Tuanzebe. OGS must show an element of confidence in the man who has a five-year deal. Matic has experience and I have always liked Mata. Brandon Williams is like Cohen Bramall and will be challenging for regular first team football. Dalot hasn’t played for 10 weeks but Ashley Young may not be risked in what is his final season at OT.

Daniel James is rapid and will be a better player next season. He often lacks a cool finish when well placed but will look to provide Greenwood with ammunition on Wednesday.

The bench is deliberately strong just in case OGS needs some extra firepower. Hence Rashford and Chong. McTominay and Fred will also be in the wings if needed. OGS has plenty to call upon.

JM by contrast will be hoping that Courtney Senior recovers in time from his injury at Scunny. I have my doubts, however. It will be a real shame for the youngster who did not look comfortable on Saturday.

The back five are relatively straightforward with the tried and trusted back four protecting one of the better goalkeepers in the lower leagues.

In midfield JM is reluctant to play my dream team midfield of Stevenson Comley and Pell because it limits his winger options. That means that Callum Harriott will come in for Senior. The front three will be Poku, Chuck and Big Frank.

Dean Gerken

Ryan Jackson Tom Eastman Luke Prosser Cohen Bramall

Brandon Comley Harry Pell Callum Harriott

Kwame Poku Luke Norris Frank Nouble

Subs:

Ethan Ross Tom Lapslie Omar Sowunmi Ryan Clampin Luke Gambin Ben Stevenson Junior

On the bench the dependable Tom Lapslie plus Omar Sowunmi, Ryan Clampin, Luke Gambin, Ben Stevenson and Junior. Stevenson must get some game time. His performances deserve and I would give Junior 20 minutes if necessary. Manchester United know nothing about him and he could shock the OT faithful. If JM is unable to play Junior, then Jevani Brown should be given a chance to impress.

This is a bonus game for the U’s. No inspirational team talk needed. If you don’t look forward to this game, then you shouldn’t be in football. We have absolutely nothing to lose, all the pressure is on United. JM needs his team to start strong and look to take the game to the Red Devils.

There is no point in sitting back or attempting to contain them. Go for the jugular; yes of course there will be periods when we need to soak up pressure but the faithful want to see their team go forward and be positive.

Rochdale forced a draw and penalties at OT earlier in the season. There is no reason why Colchester cannot do the same or similar. I truly believe that we can win the game.

The other ties are:

Aston Villa v Liverpool (Reserves)
Everton v Leicester
Oxford United v Man City

Keep the dates open in January 2020, we might have a two leg Semi-Final to contest.

The Old Trafford weather is likely to be wet with 82% precipitation and 7 degrees Celsius. A shame because the rain will dampen spirits, but we have played in a lot worse over the years.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful. The convoy of coaches, boats, aircraft, trains and the myriad of cars taking the 5,500 to OT.

Enjoy the game. I know that I will and here’s hoping that we will be celebrating at around 10pm or later if penalties come to play on Wednesday evening.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 15:24]

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 23:26 - Dec 18 with 747 viewsnoah4x4

Alas, the class of Manure showed through. But when you consider any one of their reserves is valued at more than our entire team it was no disgrace.

U’s fans outsang the miserable home fans even after the game was lost. Now somewhere on the top of the Peak District and I fear we are lost,
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 00:12 - Dec 19 with 726 viewsTheHappyGooner

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 23:26 - Dec 18 by noah4x4

Alas, the class of Manure showed through. But when you consider any one of their reserves is valued at more than our entire team it was no disgrace.

U’s fans outsang the miserable home fans even after the game was lost. Now somewhere on the top of the Peak District and I fear we are lost,

Your be ok Noah !

Nice reporting

Drive carefully ! X

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 01:05 - Dec 19 with 720 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 23:26 - Dec 18 by noah4x4

Noah safe journey

Just back home now.
Weather much milder

Tom Lapslie outstanding
Callum Harriott superb

Harry Pell crap

Will pen something soon

UTU's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 02:15 - Dec 19 with 716 viewsnoah4x4

02:00 depart Peterborough Services after five coach loads simultaneously hit MacDonalds. Thankfully, fifteen other coaches were at various other locations so avoiding a total meltdown of the MacFlurry Making Machine.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2019 2:16]
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 04:15 - Dec 19 with 709 viewsnoah4x4

04:10 finally home.

Stadium looks like Piccadilly Circus. Buses and taxis everywhere.
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 06:28 - Dec 19 with 700 viewsGOSBTS

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 02:15 - Dec 19 by noah4x4

02:00 depart Peterborough Services after five coach loads simultaneously hit MacDonalds. Thankfully, fifteen other coaches were at various other locations so avoiding a total meltdown of the MacFlurry Making Machine.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2019 2:16]

Well done to all who made the journey last night! What an effort from both players and fans. Up the U’s!
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 08:01 - Dec 19 with 689 viewswessex_exile

Well done for getting home at stupid o’clock Noah. Immensely proud to be a U’s supporter this morning. Even though Man U didn’t know how to break us down first half, we actually played much better second half when we opened up and took the game to Man U more. But Ole played a very strong team, and we paid the price for having a go. Great day out though, no regrets at all - and over 57k means a decent pay day too. Up the U’s!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 17:09 - Dec 19 with 608 viewsnoah4x4

Had time to reflect on last night which made me realise why I prefer Division One/Two football at JCS.

1. Cost £36 or £22 for concessions, might be acceptable if not for.....
2. Seats ghastly, too tight and uncomfortable.
3. Seats too far from the action. I struggled to identify one player from another.
4. Soul less atmosphere from home fans.
5. Impossible to judge any refereeing performance. Too far away.
6. The way tickets were sold, all my pals were in different blocks.

There was no doubt that Manure (player acquisition cost £200,000,000) were a vastly more skilled team than Col U (£200,000). But were they 1000x better or the fan experience worth double Jobserve Community Stadium admission costs?

No on both costs!
[Post edited 19 Dec 2019 17:10]
Login to get fewer ads

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 18:34 - Dec 19 with 599 viewsghughes11

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 01:05 - Dec 19 by durham_exile

Noah safe journey

Just back home now.
Weather much milder

Tom Lapslie outstanding
Callum Harriott superb

Harry Pell crap

Will pen something soon

UTU's

Looking forward to your post match review Durham and then I will add my comments to that, having watched on TV in NZ :-)

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 18:39 - Dec 19 with 594 viewsMadeira163

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 08:01 - Dec 19 by wessex_exile

Well done for getting home at stupid o’clock Noah. Immensely proud to be a U’s supporter this morning. Even though Man U didn’t know how to break us down first half, we actually played much better second half when we opened up and took the game to Man U more. But Ole played a very strong team, and we paid the price for having a go. Great day out though, no regrets at all - and over 57k means a decent pay day too. Up the U’s!

I echo you comments Wessex
I had a brilliant some what tiring day
Landed in Gsy 10.25 home changed at my desk at 11
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 20:28 - Dec 19 with 567 viewsLeadbelly

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 17:09 - Dec 19 by noah4x4

Had time to reflect on last night which made me realise why I prefer Division One/Two football at JCS.

1. Cost £36 or £22 for concessions, might be acceptable if not for.....
2. Seats ghastly, too tight and uncomfortable.
3. Seats too far from the action. I struggled to identify one player from another.
4. Soul less atmosphere from home fans.
5. Impossible to judge any refereeing performance. Too far away.
6. The way tickets were sold, all my pals were in different blocks.

There was no doubt that Manure (player acquisition cost £200,000,000) were a vastly more skilled team than Col U (£200,000). But were they 1000x better or the fan experience worth double Jobserve Community Stadium admission costs?

No on both costs!
[Post edited 19 Dec 2019 17:10]

Would agree with all that, especially about the appallingly cramped seating. No fun being wedged and knees in my back for the whole game.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 16:11 - Dec 22 with 443 viewsgerry_us

I know we lost but we obviously tired them out
Bottom of table Watford 2 Manure 0
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 20:54 - Dec 22 with 404 viewswessex_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 16:11 - Dec 22 by gerry_us

I know we lost but we obviously tired them out
Bottom of table Watford 2 Manure 0

Softened them up - you're welcome Watford

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024