Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's 17:12 - Feb 28 with 1773 viewsdurham_exile

After last week’s thoroughly deserved victory at Moor Lane against Salford City, the Super U’s are playing hosts to Cheltenham Town, who played Northampton Town on Tuesday night and secured a 2-1 victory in front of JM, SB and Harry Pell. The Robins are playing very well, and this should be an intriguing encounter at the JSCS.

Cheltenham played 4,4,2 on Tuesday, something like this:

Evans
Raglan Boyle Long Hussey
Broom Thomas Tozer Doyle-Hayes
Reid May

Of the playing staff the one player that I cannot stand is Reuben Reid. A slightly corpulent figure he invariably does well against us (he always did for Exeter) and I will be pleased if he is quiet at the JSCS.

It looks increasingly like 7 from the top 9 for the vital automatic and play off positions.

Swindon 34 66
Crewe 34 64
Exeter 34 63
Plymouth 34 62
Cheltenham 34 60
COL U 35 55
Northampton 35 55
Port Vale 35 55
Bradford 35 51

So, a vital game on Saturday and one of our 11 Cup Finals. Now forget all about the opposition, every game from now will be difficult, exacting, challenging and momentous in equal measure before the FGR match. We will secure points at some games and may drop points at others, but so will our opposition, as the pressure starts to bear.

A total of 33 points up for grabs and 20 will guarantee the play offs, 30 possibly an automatic spot. The latter will require almost superhuman effort, but it is still mathematically possible.

Cheltenham H
Carlisle A
Scunny H
Crewe H
Newport A
Mansfield H
Bradford A
Northampton A
Oldham H
Walsall A
FGR H

Cheltenham, led by Michael Duff, will be formidable opponents and have hit form at the right time. Tomorrow will demonstrate whether we have corrected our “wobble” and are back on track. We drew 1-1 at Whaddon Road earlier in the season, but three points are required tomorrow.

JM made a brave call at Salford and played 4,4,2 I would adopt the same formation and personnel tomorrow, but there are question marks over the fitness of Ryan Jackson, Chuck Norris and Callum (Ainsley) Harriott after the robust challenges that all three were subjected to at a sodden and wind-blown Moor Lane.

Gerken

Jackson Sowunmi Prosser Bramall

Poku Pell Stevenson Harriott

Robinson Norris

Subs:

Ross Clampin Gambin Senior Nouble Comley Eastman

Moore or Welch-Hayes could be deployed if Jackson is not fit and Senior would come in for Harriott if he is unable to play.

The more times I watch the Kwame Poku goal at Salford the better it looks. A superb piece of play and he would have almost matched it had his strike that went narrowly wide of the upright had gone in minutes later.

Although it may not be popular, I would rest Tom Eastman again. Not because he has suddenly become a bad player, but Omar Sowunmi was simply outstanding against Salford and Tom Eastman will benefit from the rest. It is the reason why we have a squad of players and JM must utilise them well over these energy sapping games on heavy and difficult pitches.

Twin strikers with Big Frank on the bench worked well against a physical Salford side and I expect that Cheltenham will also play with two up front and so although they are not such a physical side, they are nevertheless a good footballing side and matching up formations is highly recommended on Saturday.

The weather tomorrow is likely to be 7 degrees Celsius and breezy with sunshine and up to a 30% chance of precipitation. We have had sleet, snow, strong winds, rain and power cuts in Durham this week so anything else will be a bonus in North Essex.

The 430 supporters who made the journey last week will hopefully have liked what they saw and should be joined by up to 3,600 others to produce a 4000+ crowd at the JSCS including 250 from Gloucestershire. The game deserves it and a Colchester victory will cheer the faithful after the disappointment of the Grimsby home match.

Enjoy the game. Safe journey.

Scoreline: 3-1 to the Super U’s

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 19:49 - Feb 28 with 1216 viewswessex_exile

Great stuff Durham, excellent as ever. After last Saturday's heroics, and with nothing else to do on yet another rain-lashed Saturday, me and the youngest are travelling over for this one, so I'll gladly take your 3-1 prediction

Up the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 20:00 - Feb 28 with 1211 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 19:49 - Feb 28 by wessex_exile

Great stuff Durham, excellent as ever. After last Saturday's heroics, and with nothing else to do on yet another rain-lashed Saturday, me and the youngest are travelling over for this one, so I'll gladly take your 3-1 prediction

Up the U's!

Wessex safe journey.
Enjoy the game.
It should be a cracker.

Keane Poku to open the scoring.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 20:10 - Feb 28 with 1209 viewswessex_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 20:00 - Feb 28 by durham_exile

Wessex safe journey.
Enjoy the game.
It should be a cracker.

Keane Poku to open the scoring.

Up the U's

Thanks Durham.

An interesting stat linked on the Cheltenham messageboard - they've only played four times on a Leap Year Day, all at home, and haven't won any of them. For the U's, as far as I can tell we've only placed twice on a Leap Year Day - both away, at Crystal Palace (1964) and Blackpool (1980) - and haven't won either of them as well. So, a first for both of us in terms of home or away - will it also be a first for either of us to break that not-winning duck?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 20:43 - Feb 28 with 1201 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 20:10 - Feb 28 by wessex_exile

Thanks Durham.

An interesting stat linked on the Cheltenham messageboard - they've only played four times on a Leap Year Day, all at home, and haven't won any of them. For the U's, as far as I can tell we've only placed twice on a Leap Year Day - both away, at Crystal Palace (1964) and Blackpool (1980) - and haven't won either of them as well. So, a first for both of us in terms of home or away - will it also be a first for either of us to break that not-winning duck?

Wessex a very interesting stat re Leap Year dates.

I think that we will secure the points tomorrow in what is a huge game but then at the business end of the season every game is huge. Certainly three points is essential to close the gap and keep ahead of the pack.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 23:17 - Feb 28 with 1171 viewsGOSBTS

Great preview Durham. Should be heading to this one after I’ve watched Brighton v Palace on the tele. Big game and I’ll concur with your 3-1 prediction. I’ve given up trying to predict formations but trust McGreal will come up with the goods! Up the U’s!
Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 00:26 - Feb 29 with 1162 viewsmfb_cufc

I like a good stat, and here is a good one concerning Cheltenham, especially if you think we will score more than one against them. They have only conceded 10 goals in 17 away games in the league, and no team has scored more than one against them in any of those games.

mfb

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 07:34 - Feb 29 with 1150 viewsthrillseeker

Weather is not great here in CO4 at the moment - very very windy.
Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 08:04 - Feb 29 with 1147 viewsMoor_Pinot

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 00:26 - Feb 29 by mfb_cufc

I like a good stat, and here is a good one concerning Cheltenham, especially if you think we will score more than one against them. They have only conceded 10 goals in 17 away games in the league, and no team has scored more than one against them in any of those games.

Cracking start Mick, time it was dented.
Great preview as ever from Durham and it will all depend on the attitude of the eleven who start. The regular inability to start games well has been a feature of the mcgreal management, let's hope the determination shown last week is maintained. I'm sure we are good enough to beat anyone in the league and our record against the top sides is good so let's do another Plymouth or Swindon performance!!

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 09:32 - Feb 29 with 1134 viewsnoah4x4

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 07:34 - Feb 29 by thrillseeker

Weather is not great here in CO4 at the moment - very very windy.

9:30. Wind seems to have eased a bit, but rain as bad as Salford. Rugby pitches in Mill Road now have puddles. Hope the JCS pitch covers hold up.

Excited! Finally got my free OAP bus pass! Unlimited free travel to town; pub; JCS; pub; home. Shame nearest bus stop to JCS is so distant.

Fear today's match could be a lottery given the weather. Needs 4-4-2 and a bit of steel. Not a day for Senior. Hope Harriott fit, if not we do have Nouble. Season defining? Possibly yes. Brutal weather (and Harry Pell) might favour us.
Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 14:27 - Feb 29 with 1083 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 09:32 - Feb 29 by noah4x4

9:30. Wind seems to have eased a bit, but rain as bad as Salford. Rugby pitches in Mill Road now have puddles. Hope the JCS pitch covers hold up.

Excited! Finally got my free OAP bus pass! Unlimited free travel to town; pub; JCS; pub; home. Shame nearest bus stop to JCS is so distant.

Fear today's match could be a lottery given the weather. Needs 4-4-2 and a bit of steel. Not a day for Senior. Hope Harriott fit, if not we do have Nouble. Season defining? Possibly yes. Brutal weather (and Harry Pell) might favour us.

Noah I still have just under two years to wait for my bus pass!

Team today only one striker and JM has brought in Comley for Chuck Norris otherwise as my thoughts.

Wrong move we need to be on the front foot and take the game to the Robins.

Will he play Poku up front with Robinson

The truth is out there
UTU's

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 15:55 - Feb 29 with 1060 viewsburnsieespana

One down so vital we do something in the second half. Sadly a draw will now be a good result.
Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 15:58 - Feb 29 with 1057 viewsMoor_Pinot

Difficult pitch for football but we've tried - just all a bit too intricate. Need someone direct to run at and shoot but the opposition defence isn't renowned for nothing, a lot of experience very difficult to penetrate. They may sit back and take a 1-0. Goal looked offside but we did stand around rather. Since then the players have been too keen to just moan - not a good sign.
Officials pretty poor [eg incorrect bookings twice].
Had more of the ball but need to do more with it.
A draw might be the most we can expect.

Moor Pinot

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 16:00 - Feb 29 with 1054 viewsnoah4x4

HT. 0-1
U’s much the better side, but Robins ten men behind ball. Hard to break down

One attack, scorer looked miles offside 0-1. But some are saying too slow Jackson played him inside.Need to see replay. Uphill struggle from here as Cheltenham have displayed defensive steel.
Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 16:07 - Feb 29 with 1047 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 16:00 - Feb 29 by noah4x4

HT. 0-1
U’s much the better side, but Robins ten men behind ball. Hard to break down

One attack, scorer looked miles offside 0-1. But some are saying too slow Jackson played him inside.Need to see replay. Uphill struggle from here as Cheltenham have displayed defensive steel.

Big second half required
Defeat and automatic promotion over
How much do we want this
Inconsistency rules at present
UTU's

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 17:06 - Feb 29 with 1009 viewsMoor_Pinot

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 16:07 - Feb 29 by durham_exile

Big second half required
Defeat and automatic promotion over
How much do we want this
Inconsistency rules at present
UTU's

Better side for first half hour. Nothing afterwards. One shot entire second half. Cheltenham defensively excellent, far too much experience for us but why oh why are we not more direct when playing ten man defences? Nobody takes anyone on, nobody has a shot from outside the box. Opposition just had far too much clout, loads of time wasted and defensively very confident.
Our substitutions made no difference.

Ultimately feel sorry for Wessex who made a long journey to see us offer very little.
Referee not up to the level nor linesmen. First goal offside. Sending off correct.
Only Deano had saves to make after half time.

A season defining game and result?
Yes.

Moor Pinot

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 19:20 - Feb 29 with 937 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 17:06 - Feb 29 by Moor_Pinot

Better side for first half hour. Nothing afterwards. One shot entire second half. Cheltenham defensively excellent, far too much experience for us but why oh why are we not more direct when playing ten man defences? Nobody takes anyone on, nobody has a shot from outside the box. Opposition just had far too much clout, loads of time wasted and defensively very confident.
Our substitutions made no difference.

Ultimately feel sorry for Wessex who made a long journey to see us offer very little.
Referee not up to the level nor linesmen. First goal offside. Sending off correct.
Only Deano had saves to make after half time.

A season defining game and result?
Yes.

Just back from York (a retail shopping experience).

Well today has confirmed that top seven play off position is the best we can manage this season.

Of course we could play Cheltenham in the play offs so today was doubly disappointing.

Sorry to say JM got it wrong with team selection from the outset.

One striker at home after the success at Moor Lane was unforgiveable

Now 10 games to secure 20 points still needed for top seven.

If we fail for a fourth season in succession then the safest managerial appointment in the world must be seriously under threat.

Four defeats recently has destroyed our season.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 19:25 - Feb 29 with 932 viewsgerry_us

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 19:20 - Feb 29 by durham_exile

Well today has confirmed that top seven play off position is the best we can manage this season.

Of course we could play Cheltenham in the play offs so today was doubly disappointing.

If we fail for a fourth season in succession then the safest managerial appointment in the world must be seriously under threat.

UTU's

It's over and out Durham I'm afraid.
Rebuilding for next season must be priority with someone, anyone different at the helm
Not doom mongering, realism I'm afraid.
Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 19:37 - Feb 29 with 926 viewsGOSBTS

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 19:20 - Feb 29 by durham_exile

UTU's

You definitely made the right call going for a shopping trip instead of travelling south to the game Durham!

My thoughts are much the same as Pinault's. This game was reminiscent of the loss against Morecambe early in the season, in the sense that it got worse and worse at the exact time you'd expect us to pile on more pressure.

We started well and Stevenson was excellent in the slightly more advanced role. Harriott looked bright and Robinson had good movement. However by the end of the first half we were becoming more and more impotent. Highlights still inconclusive over weather goal was offside. Real time it looked miles offside but on second viewing May at the very least ran back to get onside. Referee really awful and May was particularly irritating.

In hindsight, I'm not sure I agree Durham about the team formation. I was one of those who joined in with the chants of 4-4-2 in the South Stand midway through the second half. I was convinced we'd be much more threatening afterwards like against Swindon. We were all wrong as we actually looked worse after the formation change. Cheltenham scored the second and wind completely out of our sails. It comes to something that we were attacking so poorly I was getting frustrated with the referee for NOT blowing up for full time during the lengthy time added on. You know it's bad then.

Not sure McGreal is to be blamed today. Cheltenham were very organised and had that spark with that irritating so-and-so May. Game changed once they were 1-0 up it was an uphill battle thereafter. This was combined with many of our players just not being at the races today. Seemed like we didn't win any second ball and no rebound fell our way. Nouble and Senior did nothing in the 20 minutes or so they were on the pitch. The worst aspect of today? I do firmly believe we will be in the play-offs come May, but I really hope we don't face Cheltenham.

Onwards and upwards. I'm at Portman Road next weekend but hope the boys do us proud up in Carlisle!

p.s the last time I watched Brighton play Palace right before Col U Albion won 2-1 and the U's beat Newport 3-0. Today was the exact opposite. Bad day for me!
Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 19:49 - Feb 29 with 918 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 19:37 - Feb 29 by GOSBTS

You definitely made the right call going for a shopping trip instead of travelling south to the game Durham!

My thoughts are much the same as Pinault's. This game was reminiscent of the loss against Morecambe early in the season, in the sense that it got worse and worse at the exact time you'd expect us to pile on more pressure.

We started well and Stevenson was excellent in the slightly more advanced role. Harriott looked bright and Robinson had good movement. However by the end of the first half we were becoming more and more impotent. Highlights still inconclusive over weather goal was offside. Real time it looked miles offside but on second viewing May at the very least ran back to get onside. Referee really awful and May was particularly irritating.

In hindsight, I'm not sure I agree Durham about the team formation. I was one of those who joined in with the chants of 4-4-2 in the South Stand midway through the second half. I was convinced we'd be much more threatening afterwards like against Swindon. We were all wrong as we actually looked worse after the formation change. Cheltenham scored the second and wind completely out of our sails. It comes to something that we were attacking so poorly I was getting frustrated with the referee for NOT blowing up for full time during the lengthy time added on. You know it's bad then.

Not sure McGreal is to be blamed today. Cheltenham were very organised and had that spark with that irritating so-and-so May. Game changed once they were 1-0 up it was an uphill battle thereafter. This was combined with many of our players just not being at the races today. Seemed like we didn't win any second ball and no rebound fell our way. Nouble and Senior did nothing in the 20 minutes or so they were on the pitch. The worst aspect of today? I do firmly believe we will be in the play-offs come May, but I really hope we don't face Cheltenham.

Onwards and upwards. I'm at Portman Road next weekend but hope the boys do us proud up in Carlisle!

p.s the last time I watched Brighton play Palace right before Col U Albion won 2-1 and the U's beat Newport 3-0. Today was the exact opposite. Bad day for me!

GOSBTS
A grim day results wise indeed.

What I can't fathom is why once again a number of players were not to quote you at the races.

They had just won at Salford and confidence should have been high. Cheltenham played midweek we didn't no more excuses 20 more points required from 10 games.

Very very very disappointing

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 20:29 - Feb 29 with 898 viewsnoah4x4

Toothless U's attack completely stifled by a solid Robins defence. Sowhumi immense again, Stephenson decent, but the crest deserve no more than 5.

Shocking referee.
Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 20:35 - Feb 29 with 895 viewsthrillseeker

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 20:29 - Feb 29 by noah4x4

Toothless U's attack completely stifled by a solid Robins defence. Sowhumi immense again, Stephenson decent, but the crest deserve no more than 5.

Shocking referee.

5 is most generous Noah.

Stevenson was my MOM closely followed by Sowunmi so at least we agree on that.

I am beginning to lose faith in JM. His tactical awareness is appalling
Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 20:41 - Feb 29 with 891 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 20:35 - Feb 29 by thrillseeker

5 is most generous Noah.

Stevenson was my MOM closely followed by Sowunmi so at least we agree on that.

I am beginning to lose faith in JM. His tactical awareness is appalling

Have just watched the 1 min 50 secs of so called highlights.

First goal offside free kick did he mean that

Oh well excuses I suppose.

Sorry but it's only Cheltenham are we really that bad.

Still disappointed

JM out

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 21:48 - Feb 29 with 870 viewsnoah4x4

Looked well offside in the stadium - less so on replay - but clearly offside - VAR - very awful refereeing. Changed the game as Cheltenham could further park the bus.

Sends off Sowumi for a hand ball (second yellow card) yet fails to caution (and send off) Robin's scorer for his deliberately provocative celebrations in front of U's fans.

Second goal was either strike of the century or a fluke.

Frankly, I don't blame McGreal. Not sure what else he could have done. He went 4-4-2 and Norris and Senior dragged the quality down further.

Top teams make their luck, and Cheltenham did so. Zero service to Robinson (again). Why didn't we get a striker in the transfer window? Humes out!
Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 21:57 - Feb 29 with 865 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 21:48 - Feb 29 by noah4x4

Looked well offside in the stadium - less so on replay - but clearly offside - VAR - very awful refereeing. Changed the game as Cheltenham could further park the bus.

Sends off Sowumi for a hand ball (second yellow card) yet fails to caution (and send off) Robin's scorer for his deliberately provocative celebrations in front of U's fans.

Frankly, I don't blame McGreal. Not sure what else he could have done. He went 4-4-2 and Norris and Senior dragged the quality down further.

Top teams make their luck, and Cheltenham did so. Zero service to Robinson (again). Why didn't we get a striker in the transfer window? Humes out!

Noah we did but he plays in Israel now.

At the risk of opening up old wounds!!

JM could play Poku up front I suppose

UTU's

Durham_exile

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 22:57 - Feb 29 with 830 viewsGOSBTS

Robins to have their wings clipped at the JSCS by Super U's on 21:48 - Feb 29 by noah4x4

Very much agree re: McGreal Noah. He started 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 and by 60 mins it wasn't working. He changed to 4-4-2 and it worked even less. Not sure what else he could have done really, this one is on the players for me (and Cheltenham's organisation after going a goal up).

Incidentally, Sowumni getting lots of praise on the official forum. He won a lot of headers granted, but otherwise I didn't see too much else to say he should be getting the nod ahead of Eastman.

Also, anyone else feel that we need to stop the Jackson long throw-ins? I don't think I've seen one prove remotely effective...

Lastly, the whistler in the South Stand needs to stop! It was almost as irritating as what was happening on the pitch.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 23:00]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024