Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester overwhelmed the Cumbrians at Brunton Park 15:08 - Mar 8 with 746 viewsdurham_exile

So, the 200th game for JM in charge resulted in a victory at Brunton Park. Not so much a victory more total domination in a very one-sided affair in Cumbria.

And in a nutshell that is our predicament this season. Great performances and results interspersed with abject and lacklustre games resulting in defeats and immense frustration from supporters whether armchair or the travelling faithful alike.

Yes, Carlisle were a poor team, but they had tasted defeat only once in the last 9 games and had the benefit of returning injured players to their team. The old maxim you can only play the opposition that lines up against you is always a truism!

Anyway, more of that to come. I allowed myself the luxury of stopping off in Penrith for supplies and fuel. The M6 was light and Warwick Road in Carlisle was much better now that the road works have largely been removed.

Arriving at the ground I turned in only to be told the car park had been flooded and was closed. Fortunately, the Riverside car park (and still only £3) was open and I parked there.

The programme (first one for three games after failing to secure a programme at Salford, Cambridge or Stevenage) was a double header (like Morecambe did recently) covering both Colchester and Newport who come to Carlisle on Tuesday night.

The meat and potato pie and tea cost £4.70 and the pie was hot with decent pastry and filling whilst the tea was wet and warm. The plastic fork had strong tines and did the job of opening the crust without problem.

The faithful numbered 146 out of a crowd of 3,769. The singing elements were split between the youngsters who stood in the front and the more mature element who sat near the back of the stand. The Pioneer Stand is a large stand with more than sufficient rows to challenge someone with vertigo and yesterday the stewards were preventing us from sitting in line with the 18 yard box and my position was therefore Row T seat 162 and more or less in line with the 6 yard box.

Those to my right would have been watching from slightly behind the goal line. Nevertheless, the elevated position allows a good view of the entire ground. It is many years since I have stood behind the goal, at the Petteril End. I think the last time we stood was when Carlisle beat us 3-1 and a youthful Karl Duguid scored a consolation goal for the Super U’s.

Now there is always a partisan crowd at Carlisle (notably in the Paddock) spurred on by the stuffed fox that is brought out without fail every home game by the Mascot Olga the Fox.

The pitch was looking good a little sparse but plenty of green colour and despite the rain that had fallen during the week it was holding up well. The breeze was blowing left to right across the pitch.

Luke Prosser won the toss and elected to play towards the faithful in the first half which was the right decision.

JM had decided upon the following line up for his 200th game.

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Harriott Pell Stevenson Poku

Norris Nouble

The subs bench comprised:
Welch-Hayes Comley Clampin Ross Robinson Gambin and Senior

Tom Eastman looked keen and well rested after his time on the bench whilst Omar Sowunmi played whilst Ben Stevenson was my Man of the Match, brilliant and gave a real midfield masterclass.

It was good to see Miles Welch-Hayes albeit only in the warm up.

The first 15 minutes was quite cagey, but Colchester you sensed were growing into the game with more purpose and endeavour. Callum Harriott and Kwame Poku were seeing plenty of the ball and the defence and Dean Gerken were largely untroubled.

I should state that Omani Patrick who wore number 40 for Carlisle caught the eye. Pacy and impressive on the wing he faded second half but that was because service to him dried up. He would make an interesting addition to the U's squad next season.

Chuck Norris tried a soft shot which he mishit and followed that with a speculative shot from distance which Keeper Collin parried away. The impressive Cohen Bramall adds to his transfer value every week. He looks impressive with a cultured left foot an eye for goal and takes a wicked free kick.

His opportunity arrived some 25 yards out and he struck the free kick well, but Collin managed to tip it over the bar. On 41 minutes Kwame Poku curled a delightful left foot shot into the far corner of the net and past the despairing dive from Collin. Cue delirious scenes amongst the faithful. It was no more than Colchester deserved and it was to get better only two minutes later when another corner was headed in at the near post from two yards out by Chuck Norris.

2-0 at half time and the Cumbrian natives were restless with plenty of boos as the players left the field of play. I saw Noah and shook his hand at HT, he said the journey North had taken 7.5 hours with suitable stops for refreshments.

I tried a hot chocolate which wasn’t too bad and settled down for the second half.

Colchester were very much in the ascendancy and Carlisle were trying hard but without the ability to make any real progress. Harry Pell is an enigma; he played the role of defensive midfielder yesterday whilst Ben Stevenson controlled the passes spraying the ball both left and right whilst freeing Poku and Harriott down both wings.

Whilst Cohen Bramall is allowed the freedom to advance and get forward at any opportunity, Ryan Jackson seems to have lost some of the wanderlust that he possessed earlier in the season. I wonder if his earlier injury has curtailed his attacking prowess.

Big Frank had a quiet day by his standards, whilst Chuck Norris had clearly tucked into a 32 oz T-Bone steak pre match such was his full bloodied approach to the game.

Although the game was very much Colchester’s to lose, it was over as a contest when the third goal went in. A neat interchange on the edge of the box on 59 minutes saw Poku strike the ball which spun wickedly and nestled into the right-hand corner of the goal.
Colchester looked to add to the tally but played comfortably within themselves whilst various sections of the home crowd sought an early exit. Poku tried for his hattrick but mishit a shot after having done the hard work.

Carlisle bizarrely had two players who saw themselves as Jack Grealish and Gareth Bale lookalikes. Harry McKirdy wore the number 11 shirt and operated with rolled down socks and short shin pads. Any other resemblance to Grealish was sadly lacking. Jack Bridge meanwhile wore his hair in a Bale style, but didn’t trouble the Colchester defence at any stage.

JM made some substitutions as the game wore on. Harriott was replaced by Senior on 82 minutes whilst Norris was replaced by Theo Robinson on 85 minutes and the hardworking Poku was replaced by Luke Gambin on 88 minutes.

In my view JM missed a golden opportunity to play young Miles Welch-Hayes at either Full Back or Centre Back for the last ten minutes.

Those from Carlisle who were still in the stadium at full time (90 +4 mins) booed the home team. Colchester celebrated on the pitch and JM came over to take the applause from the faithful. A thoroughly professional performance which earned the reward of three big points.

Table:

Crewe 37 69
Swindon 36 69
Plymouth 37 68
Exeter 37 65
Cheltenham 36 64
COL U 37 58
Northampton 37 58
Port Vale 37 57
Bradford 37 54
Salford 37 50

Although I have included Salford in tenth place, I think they have too much to do to secure a top seven place, but you never know!

My journey home took in some fish n chips from the noted chippy in Brough.

Back to back home matches to come and time to turn on the home performances to maintain our position in the top seven. I intend to update the remaining fixtures for the top nine before each preview game.

In the meantime, Up the U’s

[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 23:00]

Durham_exile

Colchester overwhelmed the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 15:28 - Mar 8 with 740 viewsgerry_us

Noted that Eastman was finally returned to the line-up. Was it a coincidence with his return we achieved a shoot-out?
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 16:49]
Colchester overwhelmed the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 16:47 - Mar 8 with 725 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester overwhelmed the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 15:28 - Mar 8 by gerry_us

Noted that Eastman was finally returned to the line-up. Was it a coincidence with his return we achieved a shoot-out?
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 16:49]

Gerry JM had rested Tom Eastman and had played Omar Sowunmi at the back.

His sending off allowed Eastman to be restored.
With 9 to play there will be further opportunities for the squad players although Eastman looked sharp and rested yesterday as I reported.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Colchester overwhelmed the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 17:37 - Mar 9 with 649 viewsnoah4x4

Watched Wells-Hayes and Clampin today in U23s. Both impressed. Wells-Hayes withdrawn after 60 minutes. Match was switched from an unplayable Tiptree to a sticky and heavily sanded (in front of West Stand) JCS.

Sadly, Tom Lapslie didn't impress. Gave the ball away on multiple occasions, including once that gifted Bristol City's second goal. Their first goal was similarly banal. U's trying to play out from the back deliver the ball to an unmarked Robins forward18 yards out. Seen that too often this season at all levels. Came close to this on other occasions as Bristol pressed hard. We don't seem to learn. I am beginning to wonder if we don't train enough on sticky pitches? Gerkin was clearly instructed at Salford to not risk a throw out.

Absolutely toothless up front. 0 -2 defeat. Very disappointing.
Colchester overwhelmed the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 18:05 - Mar 9 with 645 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester overwhelmed the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 17:37 - Mar 9 by noah4x4

Watched Wells-Hayes and Clampin today in U23s. Both impressed. Wells-Hayes withdrawn after 60 minutes. Match was switched from an unplayable Tiptree to a sticky and heavily sanded (in front of West Stand) JCS.

Sadly, Tom Lapslie didn't impress. Gave the ball away on multiple occasions, including once that gifted Bristol City's second goal. Their first goal was similarly banal. U's trying to play out from the back deliver the ball to an unmarked Robins forward18 yards out. Seen that too often this season at all levels. Came close to this on other occasions as Bristol pressed hard. We don't seem to learn. I am beginning to wonder if we don't train enough on sticky pitches? Gerkin was clearly instructed at Salford to not risk a throw out.

Absolutely toothless up front. 0 -2 defeat. Very disappointing.

Noah thanks for the update v Bristol
Who played up front for Col U

Pleased that Welch-Hayes got some minutes under his belt.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Colchester overwhelmed the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 07:55 - Mar 10 with 619 viewsnoah4x4

Usual one up front. Young Reed was totally isolated. Fernandes looked good when beating players, but like a Senior, no end product. Dean Ager was industrious, but ran like a Szmodics headless chicken. Just not joined up in the opposition half.

Both goals gifted to Bristol City. Vose throws it to opposition centre forward. Then Lapslie passes it to him. If only our forwards got such service.....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024