Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... 23:47 - Mar 9 with 2424 views442Dale

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e66d30dc5f81/a-statement-from-executive-chairm

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 01:38 - Mar 10 with 2362 viewskiwidale

WOW! after reading that and the general comments on the share issue thread I would strongly urge anybody that has a vote in the matter to tell the current board to fxxk off. I also suggest that the trust get Chris Dunphy on board maybe as patron. What we need now is overcoat men.

This is not the time for bickering.

Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 06:57 - Mar 10 with 2281 viewsfitzochris

The pitfalls of inviting an unknown quantity into the family.

I’ve said before, I’m not sure, in this era of diminishing returns, why anybody other than a wealthy supporter would want to invest in Rochdale AFC for football reasons.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 09:33 - Mar 10 with 2127 viewsDalenet

Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 06:57 - Mar 10 by fitzochris

I’ve said before, I’m not sure, in this era of diminishing returns, why anybody other than a wealthy supporter would want to invest in Rochdale AFC for football reasons.

I tend to agree. Although we may have wealthier businesses locally that want some association with the club. The Charlton saga shows why it is important to choose wisely.

My over riding fear is where we go next if there is no investment. Our reserves have been depleted by covering last years losses. The pitch needs a major overhaul. We have got lucky with this seasons cup runs and the sale of Matheson. But what about next year? As others say, our current Board won't be able to bank roll the club. The old adage that we budget to lose £200k and hope for a cup run is now 15 years out of date. Given our turnover we'd be struggling to compete with some non league clubs. Sensible investment seems prudent to me but that assumes we can trust the board in their due diligence.
Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 11:00 - Mar 10 with 1985 views49thseason

A couple of points:
1. We do not yet know the identity of the potential investor, so it might be someone who has nothing but the best intentions towards RAFC, or not which seems to be a general suspicion.
2. As a matter of urgency the Trust needs to contact all shareholders to ensure that they either at will be attending the meeting, or b) might be prepared to sign over a proxy vote to the trust, if they cannot attend.
3. The Trust needs to make a definitive statement about its position with regard to this development, is it in favour or not? Although in many ways, it seems to me that until there is some clarity about what is on the table, there should be a concerted effort at the EGM to take the information provided and propose a "cooling off period" of say 14 days to allow shareholders to discuss the ramifications assuming the identity of the proposed buyer is known before holding a vote on the issue.
Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 11:11 - Mar 10 with 1976 viewsD_Alien

Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 09:33 - Mar 10 by Dalenet

I tend to agree. Although we may have wealthier businesses locally that want some association with the club. The Charlton saga shows why it is important to choose wisely.

My over riding fear is where we go next if there is no investment. Our reserves have been depleted by covering last years losses. The pitch needs a major overhaul. We have got lucky with this seasons cup runs and the sale of Matheson. But what about next year? As others say, our current Board won't be able to bank roll the club. The old adage that we budget to lose £200k and hope for a cup run is now 15 years out of date. Given our turnover we'd be struggling to compete with some non league clubs. Sensible investment seems prudent to me but that assumes we can trust the board in their due diligence.

That's a fair assessment

It can't be stressed enough how much the trust of the fans in the board depends on their willingness to be as upfront as practical business considerations will allow - or even a bit more than that, since Dale isn't about making money from business but something rather more elusive and dare i say, precious

The problem with the nth degree of due diligence is that it only applies for as long as significant shareholdings are held by those subject to it. Once those shares are out there, and unless it's possible to tie shareholders hands in terms of onward sale of said shares - there's just no knowing where they might eventually end up

I agree that we need to be cognisant of the issues raised by the board (mainly during TP's presentation) regarding maintaining financial equilibrium. As fans, we have to face up to the reality that we simply might not have the means to sustain our current position without external investment. There was also mention (by AK) of the acquisition of a training facility, which will only add to the ongoing financial burden

The core issue for me is whether inviting external investment into the club will have any long term benefit. It'd simply not be worth a relatively short term fix to our finances to allow a potential wolf through the door in the future

[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 11:15]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 12:15 - Mar 10 with 1893 viewsSuddenLad

Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 09:33 - Mar 10 by Dalenet

The key word there is 'sensible'.

No 'sensible' investor would plough megabucks into Rochdale AFC unless there was a motive to do so. As Fitzo points out, unless that individual was a dyed-in-the-wool Dale fan with no ulterior motive, it's difficult to see the point of anyone doing it.

As things stand with the cloak of secrecy, I can only see the reasons for NOT voting for the proposals. More openness, more clarity and more information may make things clearer, but until then, it's a NO from me.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 12:24 - Mar 10 with 1863 views442Dale

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51814659

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 13:05 - Mar 10 with 1768 viewsrochdaleriddler

Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 06:57 - Mar 10 by fitzochris

Charlton were previously owned by a pillock , looks like they are just maintaining tradition

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Login to get fewer ads

Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 14:50 - Mar 10 with 1646 viewsEllDale

Charlton fans need to beware apparently of a bloke called Matt McCarthy who is involved with the new owners at the Valley.
He helped to "facilitate" the arrival of Steve Dale at Bury......
Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 17:19 - Mar 10 with 1551 viewsDaleiLama

Charlton’s new owners took over in January. Tonight... on 11:11 - Mar 10 by D_Alien

That's a fair assessment

It can't be stressed enough how much the trust of the fans in the board depends on their willingness to be as upfront as practical business considerations will allow - or even a bit more than that, since Dale isn't about making money from business but something rather more elusive and dare i say, precious

The problem with the nth degree of due diligence is that it only applies for as long as significant shareholdings are held by those subject to it. Once those shares are out there, and unless it's possible to tie shareholders hands in terms of onward sale of said shares - there's just no knowing where they might eventually end up

I agree that we need to be cognisant of the issues raised by the board (mainly during TP's presentation) regarding maintaining financial equilibrium. As fans, we have to face up to the reality that we simply might not have the means to sustain our current position without external investment. There was also mention (by AK) of the acquisition of a training facility, which will only add to the ongoing financial burden

The core issue for me is whether inviting external investment into the club will have any long term benefit. It'd simply not be worth a relatively short term fix to our finances to allow a potential wolf through the door in the future

[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 11:15]

I didn't go to the forum, but did listen to the on-line version, so have much sympathy with the issue of balancing the books. It should not be underestimated how much was spent (and wasted) on two pitch relays though. Not to mention the cost of finally doing it properly. The main thing that can be taken as a positive in this respect is that these costs shouldn't recur in the next 10 years which ought to make balancing the books easier going forward!

I do wonder how much we need a new training facility and how dire our cashflow will be after new pitch 3? I also share the concern of several posters who have plenty of reservations about going down this road, especially after the year we've just had.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2020 17:28]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024