Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's 10:43 - Jun 15 with 1741 viewsdurham_exile

League Season 2019/20 will live long in the annals of Colchester United. It has been a memorable season on several counts; the inspirational League Cup displays, the impressive performances, cementing a position in the top seven, John McGreal notching up 200 games in charge of the U’s and a season curtailed by the most virulent virus (COVID-19) arguably since Spanish flu over 100 years ago.

Now everything pales into insignificance when compared to the tragic deaths that have arisen because of this pandemic , but football is gradually making a return. Lockdown measures are easing albeit with caution. This week witnesses the return of the Premier League and soon will come the Championship. But it is League One and League Two where the EFL finally managed to get their act together and agreed the most sensible solution. Relegation and Promotion to apply and more importantly the Play Offs to be contested by the four teams who missed out on the automatic promotion places.

That means that the two Semi-Finals will be Cheltenham against Northampton and Colchester will play Exeter over two legs for the right to contest a final at Wembley and all played behind closed doors, but with the opportunity for supporters to be present in cardboard cut outs only.

More than 100 cut outs will wear the famous blue or blue/white stripes in the East Stand on this Thursday evening at the JobServe Community Stadium for a tea time 1715hrs kick off and then the journey to Exeter City will be made ahead of the second leg on Monday 22 June again at 1715hrs.

The winning team will then play at Wembley on Monday 29 June with a 1930hrs kick off.

So much for the pre-amble. Colchester will play their most important game on Thursday evening since ….. well Saturday 7 March at Brunton Park Carlisle when a splendid Away performance saw Colchester triumph 3-0 and secure this vital Play Off place. I was amongst the 146 faithful that afternoon and witnessed a performance deserving of the play offs and probably promotion as well.

It was JM 200th game in charge of the U’s and they set out to rectify many of the issues that had affected their disappointing result against Cheltenham the week before. Now much was made about that game against the Robins. My own view is that we had an off day and they couldn’t have played a great deal better having soaked up pressure and then to hit us on the counter attack. Indeed, I do not see Cheltenham overcoming Northampton in the other Semi-Final. Ultimately though it is largely irrelevant because our fate is very much in our own hands whoever we play.

Make no mistake Exeter City will be a difficult and challenging game. They have hovered around the automatic promotion places all season and will be bitterly disappointed to fall at the final hurdle. They will not want to lose out on a second chance.

This season it has been impossible to separate the teams with a 2-2 draw at home and a 0-0 draw at St James’s Park . However, in recent years our form has not been great against the Grecians. I have been to all the most recent games at Exeter to witness defeats 3-0 (twice) and a 1-0 narrow defeat. All disappointing games and results.

Whilst the last time that we defeated them at Home was 10 December 2017 when we prevailed by 3-1.

Forget about those games though, they are consigned to history and we look only forward to the vital games on Thursday and Monday. If the return of the Bundesliga has taught us anything it is that Home advantage has largely been swallowed up by the lack of atmosphere and support inside the ground.

Yesterday however I witnessed a new phenomenon, crowd noise inside the stadium played over the tannoy. Not only goal celebrations, but also partisan home support when an opposition player committed a foul or when they had a good deal of possession. Bizarre perhaps but it did create the illusion of a crowd. Of course, we will have the cardboard cut outs willing us to victory.

Not having played competitively since 7 March should have allowed any injuries to have recovered and in our case that was largely Paris Cowan-Hall , who, since his heroics against Tottenham Hotspur when he kept Son as quiet as a Church mouse he has been missing with a long term ankle injury.

The other good news is that despite the decision not to renew the contracts of 12 players including Ryan Jackson, Luke Prosser, Frank Nouble and Brandon Comley playing the games to a conclusion in June means that we will have their services for the Play Offs. The one exception is Brandon Comley who has departed the club.

Interestingly the team that played against Carlisle is the one that could line up on Thursday evening. It is only the subs bench where changes would need to be made.

Gerken
Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall
Harriott Pell Stevenson Poku
Norris Nouble

Subs:
Welch-Hayes Comley Clampin Ross Robinson Gambin and Senior

Jevani Brown has returned to the club from FGR and if Paris Cowan-Hall is fit then both could be in contention for a place on the bench.

Providing all are fit I would play the XI who started at Brunton Park and consider the subs as follows:

Ross Clampin Senior Gambin Robinson Cowan-Hall Sowunmi

Brown could be considered, but I do not think he will play.

Therefore, Thursday night should see the following Colchester line up 4,4,2:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Harriott Pell Stevenson Poku

Norris Nouble

Subs:
Ross Clampin Senior Gambin Robinson Cowan-Hall Sowunmi

Whilst we “warmed up” with a 4-0 defeat at the New Den, Matt Taylor the Exeter City boss resisted the temptation to play a friendly prior to the semi-final. He did not think it was worth the risk.

Exeter City are likely to line up like this in a 3,5,2 formation:

Ward
Sweeney A Martin Parkes
Williams Taylor Collins Law Sparkes
Bowman Ajose

I believe not to play a friendly was a mistake by the Grecians, regardless of the result against Millwall our players have at least played a game against opposition who potentially could be in the Championship play offs. That experience will be important at an energy sapping JobServe stadium on Thursday.

The weather on Thursday at Colchester will be 18 degrees Celsius with light wind and light rain showers. The pitch should be like a billiard table.

Hit the ground running, take the game to the Grecians, and think only of the prize at Wembley that awaits.

Score prediction, a handsome 3-1 first leg scoreline to the Super U’s.

Enjoy the game, it is live on Sky. My programme is enroute and my cardboard cut-out should be sitting in the East Stand.

What more could one ask for? Perhaps the post horn gallop to run out to!!!!

Thinking ahead (and not counting my chickens) how do I get to watch at Wembley apart from on Sky. I have been fortunate to have been present at every Wembley game the U’s have played in, surely I cant miss out on this one!!!

Up the Super U’s

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 12:09 - Jun 15 with 1292 viewsburnsieespana

Ahh great to be reading your pre game posts again durham and don't disagree at all about the team.
Could just see Brown coming on in last five minutes at Wembley and scoring the winning goal.......nothing like a dream!
Suppose Exeter did not have a friendly because of the costs involved as saw somewhere the Chairman grumbling about them and saying the EFL should be contributing.
Thank goodness is all I can say to Robbie Cowling (Mr Marmite man) and our Cup run way back last Autumn when nobody could envisage the shell shock provided by Covid 19.
Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 13:36 - Jun 15 with 1286 viewsMoor_Pinot

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 12:09 - Jun 15 by burnsieespana

Ahh great to be reading your pre game posts again durham and don't disagree at all about the team.
Could just see Brown coming on in last five minutes at Wembley and scoring the winning goal.......nothing like a dream!
Suppose Exeter did not have a friendly because of the costs involved as saw somewhere the Chairman grumbling about them and saying the EFL should be contributing.
Thank goodness is all I can say to Robbie Cowling (Mr Marmite man) and our Cup run way back last Autumn when nobody could envisage the shell shock provided by Covid 19.

Superb Durham and hard to disagree with anything written.
Exeter are - as with Cheltenham - a little wiser and more experienced than the U's, arguably more suited to div 1 than us, but as you say if we throw everything at them from the start we could easily unsettle either side to our advantage. Northampton are dark horses and let it be remembered only came down last season so they are div 1 aware.
I think I'd play Robinson ahead of Norris. Neither is LG 1 striker but Robinson is more fluid.
Not sure if playing a friendly was worth it morale wise, but for the team yes, a gd idea.
Without supporters both matches are far harder to odds. We, the supporters really do contribute a lot and that will be missing.
Great to read the preview once again and thanks very much. It makes a strange sad world slightly more familiar.
Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 15:47 - Jun 16 with 1197 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 13:36 - Jun 15 by Moor_Pinot

Superb Durham and hard to disagree with anything written.
Exeter are - as with Cheltenham - a little wiser and more experienced than the U's, arguably more suited to div 1 than us, but as you say if we throw everything at them from the start we could easily unsettle either side to our advantage. Northampton are dark horses and let it be remembered only came down last season so they are div 1 aware.
I think I'd play Robinson ahead of Norris. Neither is LG 1 striker but Robinson is more fluid.
Not sure if playing a friendly was worth it morale wise, but for the team yes, a gd idea.
Without supporters both matches are far harder to odds. We, the supporters really do contribute a lot and that will be missing.
Great to read the preview once again and thanks very much. It makes a strange sad world slightly more familiar.
Up the U's

Is it me or are Exeter City guilty of protesting too much.

First their chairman moans about the £150k cost of the play offs.

Now they are moaning about driving the 250 miles on the day because there is apparent confusion about arranging a hotel the night before.

None of this makes any sense. Surely they wouldn't consider driving on the day for such a prestigious game.

Or is this a very clever psychological game that they are playing.

The truth will out.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 15:53 - Jun 16 with 1192 viewsMoor_Pinot

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 15:47 - Jun 16 by durham_exile

Now they are moaning about driving the 250 miles on the day because there is apparent confusion about arranging a hotel the night before.

None of this makes any sense. Surely they wouldn't consider driving on the day for such a prestigious game.

The truth will out.

Up the U's

Games playing Durham. Exeter have always been good at it and have frequently out foxed the U's over the years. Time to change that.

Moor Pinot

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 15:55 - Jun 16 with 1192 viewsLeadbelly

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 15:47 - Jun 16 by durham_exile

The truth will out.

Up the U's

Not just you Durham. Travel and accommodation arrangements/difficulties are the same for both clubs so the Exeter chairman should suck it up.

With no live music events being held I’m sure there are plenty of tour buses available for hire at the moment. Travel and accommodation sorted in one vehicle! And no shortage of parking at the ground!! And they could get a drive through McDonalds for dinner, breakfast and lunch!!!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 16:59 - Jun 16 with 1186 viewsmfb_cufc

I read that Exeter will be forced to make a 500-mile round trip all in one day because hotels are closed. A minimum 20-hour day. They are planning to set off at 7.30am, and the pre-match meal will be from a service station or a takeaway.

Regarding Exeter not playing any friendly, they said because you're not allowed to travel far only Cardiff and Bristol City would have been options. Because of that the earliest they could have got a game played was last Saturday, which was too close to the play-off.

Robert Robinson use to present a programme called Call My Bluff, where contestants had to decide whether something was true or false. This article reminded me of this. My vote goes to False.

If true it is likely to be similar for us with the second leg. This will be an advantage for the home team, that is why we must take full advantage on Thursday.

mfb

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 10:01 - Jun 18 with 893 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 16:59 - Jun 16 by mfb_cufc

I read that Exeter will be forced to make a 500-mile round trip all in one day because hotels are closed. A minimum 20-hour day. They are planning to set off at 7.30am, and the pre-match meal will be from a service station or a takeaway.

Regarding Exeter not playing any friendly, they said because you're not allowed to travel far only Cardiff and Bristol City would have been options. Because of that the earliest they could have got a game played was last Saturday, which was too close to the play-off.

Robert Robinson use to present a programme called Call My Bluff, where contestants had to decide whether something was true or false. This article reminded me of this. My vote goes to False.

If true it is likely to be similar for us with the second leg. This will be an advantage for the home team, that is why we must take full advantage on Thursday.

Absolutely Mick, as you say time to take Home advantage.

In front of the serried ranks of cardboard figures - each one bringing their own unique story to the JobServe.

All true blue and white supporters, many with more than 40, 50 or 60 years supporting the U's, the majority attending home and away and each with their own memories of games, last minute winners, promotions, relegations, Wembley appearances, one off Cup games, Layer Road experiences, favourite games, favourite players, superb goals and unique thoughts and opinions garnered over the years.

Unique memories of those loyal supporters who can no longer be there, but are fondly remembered.

Tonight will be memorable because it is another unique experience, a play off semi final behind closed doors with a huge prize awaiting the winners. Wembley and the chance of League One football next season.

Exeter City will be a tough nut to crack, but they are moaning about money, travel plans, the fact that they didn't go up automatically, whereas their mates at Home Park did.

Whoever wants this more will prevail. Colchester have languished in League Two for long enough, it is time to get back to the more realistic heights of League One.

The team and players are good enough.

I for one can see Harry Pell running around the Wembley Pitch with the Play Off Winners Trophy and historic scenes and then a tour around the Town when it is safe to do so.

Tune in tomight at 1700hrs for some memorable action and the first step to promotion .
JM's 201st game in charge - potentially 16 heroes in Blue shirts, Blue shorts and White socks with Blue trim.

Tonights starting XI

Dean Gerken

Ryan Jackson
Luke Prosser
Tom Eastman
Cohen Bramall

Callum Harriott
Harry Pell
Ben Stevenson
Kwame Poku

Luke Norris
Frank Nouble

Subs

Ethan Ross
Omar Sowunmi
Courtney Senior
Luke Gambin
Theo Robinson
Paris Cowan-Hall
Jevani Brown

The most important game since Carlisle away (which cemented our position).

Cardboard becomes the 12th man, the fans in their armchairs willing the ball into the Exeter net.

1715hrs tonight be there or be a cardboard oblong!

Attack, attack,attack, attack, attack!

Up the soon to be promoted U's

[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 10:17]

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 10:31 - Jun 18 with 881 viewsgerry_us

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 10:01 - Jun 18 by durham_exile

Absolutely Mick, as you say time to take Home advantage.

In front of the serried ranks of cardboard figures - each one bringing their own unique story to the JobServe.

All true blue and white supporters, many with more than 40, 50 or 60 years supporting the U's, the majority attending home and away and each with their own memories of games, last minute winners, promotions, relegations, Wembley appearances, one off Cup games, Layer Road experiences, favourite games, favourite players, superb goals and unique thoughts and opinions garnered over the years.

Unique memories of those loyal supporters who can no longer be there, but are fondly remembered.

Tonight will be memorable because it is another unique experience, a play off semi final behind closed doors with a huge prize awaiting the winners. Wembley and the chance of League One football next season.

Exeter City will be a tough nut to crack, but they are moaning about money, travel plans, the fact that they didn't go up automatically, whereas their mates at Home Park did.

Whoever wants this more will prevail. Colchester have languished in League Two for long enough, it is time to get back to the more realistic heights of League One.

The team and players are good enough.

I for one can see Harry Pell running around the Wembley Pitch with the Play Off Winners Trophy and historic scenes and then a tour around the Town when it is safe to do so.

Tune in tomight at 1700hrs for some memorable action and the first step to promotion .
JM's 201st game in charge - potentially 16 heroes in Blue shirts, Blue shorts and White socks with Blue trim.

Tonights starting XI

Dean Gerken

Ryan Jackson
Luke Prosser
Tom Eastman
Cohen Bramall

Callum Harriott
Harry Pell
Ben Stevenson
Kwame Poku

Luke Norris
Frank Nouble

Subs

Ethan Ross
Omar Sowunmi
Courtney Senior
Luke Gambin
Theo Robinson
Paris Cowan-Hall
Jevani Brown

The most important game since Carlisle away (which cemented our position).

Cardboard becomes the 12th man, the fans in their armchairs willing the ball into the Exeter net.

1715hrs tonight be there or be a cardboard oblong!

Attack, attack,attack, attack, attack!

Up the soon to be promoted U's

[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 10:17]

If wind and rain are in the wrong directions will us fans start to wilt?
Login to get fewer ads

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 10:36 - Jun 18 with 878 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 10:31 - Jun 18 by gerry_us

If wind and rain are in the wrong directions will us fans start to wilt?

No, but we might get a little dog eared or wet around the edges, possibly even slightly bent or badly creased. Could even blow away in a gale. Nothing new there then!!!!!

Up the sturdy cardboard U's supporters and the team of heroes.

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 16:10 - Jun 18 with 824 viewsgerry_us

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 10:36 - Jun 18 by durham_exile

No, but we might get a little dog eared or wet around the edges, possibly even slightly bent or badly creased. Could even blow away in a gale. Nothing new there then!!!!!

Up the sturdy cardboard U's supporters and the team of heroes.

Hi Peter. All ready for the off? Where are we going to get our hot chocolate and steak pie? Cant start a game without that surely?
Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 16:53 - Jun 18 with 813 viewsmfb_cufc

U's side to face Exeter is Gerken, Jackson, Eastman, Prosser, Bramall, Pell, Stevenson, Nouble, Poku, Senior, Norris

U's subs are Lapslie, Sowunmi, Cowan-Hall, Welch-Hayes, Robinson, Clampin, Gambin, Chilvers, Ross

Senior in for Harriott from the team that beat Carlisle. Harriott not even on the bench. Could he have been one of the coronavirus positives? Good to see Cowan-Hall back.

mfb

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 17:10 - Jun 18 with 804 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 16:53 - Jun 18 by mfb_cufc

U's side to face Exeter is Gerken, Jackson, Eastman, Prosser, Bramall, Pell, Stevenson, Nouble, Poku, Senior, Norris

U's subs are Lapslie, Sowunmi, Cowan-Hall, Welch-Hayes, Robinson, Clampin, Gambin, Chilvers, Ross

Senior in for Harriott from the team that beat Carlisle. Harriott not even on the bench. Could he have been one of the coronavirus positives? Good to see Cowan-Hall back.

Mick reckon you must be right about Harriott.

Up the U's

Pitch looks a picture

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 17:29 - Jun 18 with 793 viewsgerry_us

Good crowd but they are a bit quiet!
Did see Durham cutout abusing the ref though...
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 18:00]
Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:00 - Jun 18 with 777 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 17:29 - Jun 18 by gerry_us

Good crowd but they are a bit quiet!
Did see Durham cutout abusing the ref though...
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 18:00]

My predicted score is not looking too bright at present

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:13 - Jun 18 with 764 viewsgerry_us

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:00 - Jun 18 by durham_exile

My predicted score is not looking too bright at present

Up the U's

It'll be a short highlights programme!
Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:36 - Jun 18 with 752 viewsFruitbat

As is usual we appear to have got worse after half time. Good to know some things never change.
Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:44 - Jun 18 with 748 viewsgerry_us

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:36 - Jun 18 by Fruitbat

As is usual we appear to have got worse after half time. Good to know some things never change.

McG half time team talk?
Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:48 - Jun 18 with 747 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:44 - Jun 18 by gerry_us

McG half time team talk?

Gerry he's managed another two talks roughly half way through each half.

Theo needs to be on and soon.

We need to score come on the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:51 - Jun 18 with 743 viewsgerry_us

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:48 - Jun 18 by durham_exile

Good decision Durham
Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:52 - Jun 18 with 743 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:48 - Jun 18 by durham_exile

Some green shoots perhaps
Robinson on Chuck off

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:57 - Jun 18 with 738 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:52 - Jun 18 by durham_exile

Some green shoots perhaps
Robinson on Chuck off

Get in

Now for number 2

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 19:05 - Jun 18 with 729 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 18:57 - Jun 18 by durham_exile

Get in

Now for number 2

Come on the U's

5 more mins

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 19:12 - Jun 18 with 726 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 19:05 - Jun 18 by durham_exile

Come on the U's

5 more mins

It's only half time but we can do this

Up the U"s

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 19:39 - Jun 18 with 702 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 19:12 - Jun 18 by durham_exile

It's only half time but we can do this

Up the U"s

Now there's an expression I didn't think I would hear.

Cohen Bramall lining up the freekick "the Gaffer said shoot"

Priceless

Up the U's

Were halfway to Wembley

Durham_exile

Grecians to have hair-raising time at the JobServe against the Super U's on 20:31 - Jun 18 with 671 viewsthrillseeker

Well, that was an awful game but I will always take a win

Started watching the Northampton v Cheltenham match which is a lot better and with a ot more pace - Cheltenham look good
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024