Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Was the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? Talk by Essex Uni researchers 08:36 - Jun 27 with 2448 viewsGOSBTS

Hi all,

History Indoors is an organisation run by researchers from the University of Essex providing free history talks to the general public during the lockdown on Zoom. Our next talk on Wednesday looks at whether the pre-Premier League 1970s and 80s was a golden era or not. Terracing and affordable ticket prices versus racism and hooliganism?

This might be interesting for U's fans to think back on the days of Layer Road. Do you remember the 70s and 80s fondly for football, or are things better today overall?

The talk is at 2pm and 7pm on Wednesday 1st July. You can find out more and sign up here: https://historyindoors.co.uk/talk/the-golden-age-english-football-before-the-pre

Thanks guys,
Steven :)
Was the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? Talk by Essex Uni researchers on 20:31 - Jun 27 with 2426 viewsTheHappyGooner

Everything was better in all departments

Music
Film
Comedy
Football
The list Is endless

The word I’d use is excitement ...

Too sanitised today

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

Was the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? Talk by Essex Uni researchers on 10:58 - Jun 28 with 2400 viewsdurham_exile

Thanks GOSBTS think I will give this a try. Sounds interesting.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Was the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? Talk by Essex Uni researchers on 17:10 - Jun 30 with 2369 viewsGOSBTS

Was the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? Talk by Essex Uni researchers on 10:58 - Jun 28 by durham_exile

Thanks GOSBTS think I will give this a try. Sounds interesting.

Up the U's

That's great Durham, hope you enjoy! I'm looking forward to this one too.

Just a reminder that the talks are on at 2pm and 7pm tomorrow (Wednesday), and here's the link to sign up: https://historyindoors.co.uk/talk/the-golden-age-english-football-before-the-pre
Was the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? Talk by Essex Uni researchers on 13:49 - Jul 1 with 2337 viewsGOSBTS

Here are the links for today’s talks if anyone else has spare time on their hands and wants to tune in:

2pm: https://essex-university.zoom.us/j/96556342241

7pm: https://essex-university.zoom.us/j/91758479512
Was the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? Talk by Essex Uni researchers on 12:06 - Jul 3 with 2321 viewsGOSBTS

Morning all!

To anyone who missed the talk but would like to catch up, it's now on the History Indoors youtube channel to watch back:

[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 14:16]
Was the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? Talk by Essex Uni researchers on 14:14 - Jul 6 with 2294 viewsGOSBTS

We filmed our roundtable discussion on the topic at the weekend. If you're not sick to death of podcast style football chat, you can watch three Ipswich fans, one Brighton/Col U (myself) fan and an Ebbsfleet United fan talk about nostalgia, safe standing and out-of-town stadiums. I talk about the U's and the Community Stadium a bit in it.

[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 14:15]
Was the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? Talk by Essex Uni researchers on 13:12 - Jul 7 with 2264 viewsbwildered

Gave it a watch.
Kept wondering why only the 70/80's ring fenced in the topic . Should have included the obvious answer of the 60's where English teams started to conquer European competitions and the only time we won the World Cup.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Was the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? Talk by Essex Uni researchers on 10:04 - Jul 12 with 2232 viewsGOSBTS

Was the 70s and 80s the golden era of football? Talk by Essex Uni researchers on 13:12 - Jul 7 by bwildered

Gave it a watch.
Kept wondering why only the 70/80's ring fenced in the topic . Should have included the obvious answer of the 60's where English teams started to conquer European competitions and the only time we won the World Cup.

Hi bwildered! Thank you for watching! I think perhaps the speaker didn't venture into the 60s because he couldn't talk from first hand experience and perhaps because the more problematic aspects of the game (racism, hooliganism etc) hadn't quite reared their head at that point (I wasn't alive then so I'm not sure how true/false that assertion is)?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024