Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John McGreal 07:53 - Jul 5 with 8843 viewsthrillseeker

Big rumours there has been an approach or will be for him.

In Birkenhead it is being said Tranmere want JM to replace Micky Mellon should MM decide to take the Dundee Utd job.

I had even read JM had already quit the U's

Could be an interesting few days - will the rumour be true?
John McGreal on 11:37 - Jul 14 with 1401 viewsmfb_cufc

John McGreal on 10:39 - Jul 14 by Fruitbat

I have no qualms about a change of Head Coach having never been a great McGreal fan but I agree with MFB, it's a slightly odd statement. "aligned with the academy" could mean any number of things and hopefully more detail will be forthcoming over the next few days/weeks. Reading between the lines, does it mean that signings of senior players are likely to be few and far between and that, effectively, the first team will be largely populated from the academy? It might be a necessity depending on how hard the finances have been hit since March.

I think it is now 100% certain we will not be signing any senior players. The releasing of the Colchester four suggest that was the plan, and today's statement has just about confirmed that.

mfb

John McGreal on 11:45 - Jul 14 with 1396 viewsmfb_cufc

Latest Skybet prices for next Colchester manager:-

7/4 Wayne Brown, 4/1 Steve Ball, 5/1 Paul Tisdale, 10/1 Adrian Pennock

No price mentioned for Tony Humes.

mfb

John McGreal on 12:02 - Jul 14 with 1376 viewsFruitbat

John McGreal on 11:45 - Jul 14 by mfb_cufc

Close to 100% certain it won't be someone without a current connection to the club.
John McGreal on 12:59 - Jul 14 with 1339 viewsnoah4x4

Can we wait until Cowley gets sacked from Huddersfield?

I reckon a number of decent managers will be on the market soon.
John McGreal on 13:04 - Jul 14 with 1333 viewsgerry_us

John McGreal on 12:59 - Jul 14 by noah4x4

Can we wait until Cowley gets sacked from Huddersfield?

I reckon a number of decent managers will be on the market soon.

The problem will be who will want to manage us with only academy players to fill the gaps left by departing players? It seems pretty clear that we will not be in the market for new players any time soon. That said, with our owner showing a certain realism in these difficult times I envisage us being a force to be reckoned with next season whoever's at the helm.
John McGreal on 13:22 - Jul 14 with 1319 viewsdurham_exile

John McGreal on 13:04 - Jul 14 by gerry_us

The problem will be who will want to manage us with only academy players to fill the gaps left by departing players? It seems pretty clear that we will not be in the market for new players any time soon. That said, with our owner showing a certain realism in these difficult times I envisage us being a force to be reckoned with next season whoever's at the helm.

What about the dream team of Wayne Brown and Doogie?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

John McGreal on 13:51 - Jul 14 with 1301 viewsLeadbelly

Very strange indeed. McGreal never really convinced me during his 4 years but whoever replaces him will have a very tough job. Closer alignment with the academy does not fill me with confidence and suggests any new head coach will be even more restricted than previous incumbents. I would agree with Fruitbat...an external appointment looks highly unlikely.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

John McGreal on 15:51 - Jul 14 with 1254 viewsnoah4x4

John McGreal on 13:22 - Jul 14 by durham_exile

What about the dream team of Wayne Brown and Doogie?

Up the U's

What dream team? More like nightmare....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1278502/Leicester-City-star-W

If we can't be allowed to forgive and accept the philantropic for what happened 200 years ago, how can we forgive contemporary racism? It would be a total distraction from all things good at the Jobserve. The media would never leave him alone.
Login to get fewer ads

John McGreal on 15:59 - Jul 14 with 1247 viewsmfb_cufc

John McGreal on 11:45 - Jul 14 by mfb_cufc

Latest prices:-

5/4 Brown, 2/1 Ball, and Tony Humes has now been quoted at 12/1.

mfb

John McGreal on 16:14 - Jul 14 with 1243 viewsburnsieespana

Situation with Steve Ball could be interesting. MHw about Ball as Manager and Campbell Rice as assistant?
Personally I can't see somebody coming in from outside.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 10:33]
John McGreal on 16:28 - Jul 14 with 1236 viewswessex_exile

I'd agree with a lot of the above - I can't see an external appointment, particularly given they'd almost certainly expect a new player budget that won't exist. We won't be the only ones having to make do with what we've got either, there'll likely be plenty more in the same boat - but at least we have got a decent academy to fall back on.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

John McGreal on 17:43 - Jul 14 with 1209 viewsGOSBTS

John McGreal on 11:33 - Jul 14 by burnsieespana

Must say I am staggered and have a certain fear.
We will not, it seems be signing anybody of statue in the foreseeable future and effectively playing boys, so we might folks, be in for a really nasty season struggling to keep out of the relegation zone.

I agree, it could be a challenging season.

I wonder if it was more the case that McGreal had been approached/knew of the coming vacancy at Tranmere, approached Robbie and wanted clarity over the coming season? Perhaps it was made clear that John wouldn't be given more players and would have to rely on the academy, and therefore a parting was inevitable? Pure speculation on my part.

I, for one, will be sad to see McGreal go. I'm naturally a "better the devil you know than the devil you don't", and though a better manager could have got us promoted, there are far worse out there than McGreal. He seemed like an honourable man who never had a bad word to say about anyone and didn't stir controversy in the time I've followed the club. I wish him all the best for the future.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 17:44]
John McGreal on 17:51 - Jul 14 with 1203 viewsLeadbelly

John McGreal on 17:43 - Jul 14 by GOSBTS

I agree, it could be a challenging season.

I wonder if it was more the case that McGreal had been approached/knew of the coming vacancy at Tranmere, approached Robbie and wanted clarity over the coming season? Perhaps it was made clear that John wouldn't be given more players and would have to rely on the academy, and therefore a parting was inevitable? Pure speculation on my part.

I, for one, will be sad to see McGreal go. I'm naturally a "better the devil you know than the devil you don't", and though a better manager could have got us promoted, there are far worse out there than McGreal. He seemed like an honourable man who never had a bad word to say about anyone and didn't stir controversy in the time I've followed the club. I wish him all the best for the future.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 17:44]

Pretty sure the Tranmere situation is irrelevant to McGreal’s departure. Reading between the lines, Cowling told McGreal how it will be next season, McGreal didn’t like it or raised concerns, whatever, and that was that. Academy comes first which makes an external appointment, other than Brown, unlikely in the extreme.

John McGreal on 19:03 - Jul 14 with 1182 viewsGOSBTS

This part of Robbie's club statement a few hours ago explains Robbie's thinking on the academy front:

Moving Forward

The Covid-19 pandemic has caused many issues and will continue to throw many challenges at all football clubs no matter how large or small they are.

However, there are always opportunities and some clubs will fare better than others. It’s my job to seek out those opportunities and exploit them.

With it being highly likely that salary capping is going to be introduced, then that could provide Colchester United with a massive opportunity and it’s one we must exploit.

The current levels being suggested as playing budget caps are £1.5m for League Two and £2.5m for League One.

If salary caps are introduced at those levels, they will make those leagues a level playing field. But, potentially one that should be tilted in our favour thanks to our infrastructure, facilities and most of all our Academy.

Can Colchester United be highly competitive in League Two with a £1.5m playing budget and everyone else capped to that same level? Can Colchester United be highly competitive in League One with everyone else capped to a £2.5m budget? If we get the Academy firing on all cylinders, then the answer is a clear yes.

This coming season, and maybe even the one after that, will be difficult as clubs transition from their previous budgets down to the new salary caps.

It’s also going to favour those clubs that have just a few players left on contract. Those clubs will be able to exploit the surplus of players who will be looking for a new club this season and sadly we are not one of those clubs.

However, those advantages are short-term but our investment in youth is well established and the Academy we have built can provide players that are under twenty one years old and don’t count towards the salary cap.

I’ve always been realistic about Colchester United’s prospects because I understand how important playing budgets are.

Every season, one or two clubs out perform their budgets but they can’t sustain it over a long period. If every club has the same playing budget, and those that have invested in their infrastructure, facilities and youth have the upper hand, then happy days.

Up the U's

Robbie

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/july/message-from-the-chairman/
John McGreal on 19:24 - Jul 14 with 1169 viewsbwildered

Forget all statements , McG was treated exactly like the Colchester Four. Being Head Coach of the first team must have been the highest earner on the coaching staff and has his rolling contract was up for renewal, this decision was done on fiscal options alone irregardless of footballing issues .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

John McGreal on 19:54 - Jul 14 with 1156 viewsLeadbelly

John McGreal on 19:24 - Jul 14 by bwildered

Forget all statements , McG was treated exactly like the Colchester Four. Being Head Coach of the first team must have been the highest earner on the coaching staff and has his rolling contract was up for renewal, this decision was done on fiscal options alone irregardless of footballing issues .

If it’s just about the money Humes looks an even bigger luxury than before.

John McGreal on 19:59 - Jul 14 with 1148 viewsmfb_cufc

John McGreal on 19:54 - Jul 14 by Leadbelly

If it’s just about the money Humes looks an even bigger luxury than before.

If Humes is given the job that would be one whole wage saved. I think Cowling has always wanted to give Humes the managers job again one day. This is an ideal opportunity to do just that.

mfb

John McGreal on 20:03 - Jul 14 with 1146 viewsnoah4x4

My cardboard cut-out could do a better job than Humes and being on-site must be in with a chance.

Notwithstanding that, I predict Campbell-Rice might be a candidate. Surely it can't go to Brown with his BNP pedigree during the current climate?
John McGreal on 20:13 - Jul 14 with 1135 viewsgerry_us

John McGreal on 20:03 - Jul 14 by noah4x4

My cardboard cut-out could do a better job than Humes and being on-site must be in with a chance.

Notwithstanding that, I predict Campbell-Rice might be a candidate. Surely it can't go to Brown with his BNP pedigree during the current climate?

Cilla's cardboard cutout would be an improvement, never mind yours Noah.
John McGreal on 20:15 - Jul 14 with 1134 viewsLeadbelly

John McGreal on 19:59 - Jul 14 by mfb_cufc

If Humes is given the job that would be one whole wage saved. I think Cowling has always wanted to give Humes the managers job again one day. This is an ideal opportunity to do just that.

I suspect there’s some truth in what you say but I really hope that isn’t what happens.

John McGreal on 20:31 - Jul 15 with 977 viewsBlue4U2

What about Richard Wilkins?
Strong connection with U's- 279 games played in 2 spells over 8 years
20 years as a manager of 3 separate clubs including time at Leiston with Steve Ball
John McGreal on 11:04 - Jul 16 with 912 viewsmfb_cufc

Latest odds 4/9 Ball, 7/4 Brown. Looking ominous.

mfb

John McGreal on 11:19 - Jul 16 with 909 viewsLeadbelly

John McGreal on 11:04 - Jul 16 by mfb_cufc

Latest odds 4/9 Ball, 7/4 Brown. Looking ominous.

If it’s Ball it may not be the appointment many would like but, let’s be honest, it’s the sort of appointment most of us expect...even without COVID 19.

Good luck to him if he gets it.

John McGreal on 15:10 - Jul 16 with 874 viewsthrillseeker

The thought of Steve Ball being Head Coach is horrible

I doubt he would be respected by many players

Crisis time?

I would love to be proved wrong though
John McGreal on 15:29 - Jul 16 with 870 viewsmfb_cufc

John McGreal on 15:10 - Jul 16 by thrillseeker

The thought of Steve Ball being Head Coach is horrible

I doubt he would be respected by many players

Crisis time?

I would love to be proved wrong though

Spot on. What is the point in giving the job to Ball. Might as well kept McGreal than give it to McGreal Mark II.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024