Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Personal dilemma 19:39 - Aug 12 with 11265 viewsEllDale

For weeks I’ve been looking forward to standing in a queue on Saturday clutching my debit card to buy my new season card.
I’m beginning to wonder now though and pessimism is setting in.
Shall I leave if for a couple of weeks until nearer the deadline or not is my personal quandary.
Other clubs are signing players, other clubs have more players in training, other clubs (eg Crewe) are even playing friendlies.
We seem really light on numbers and our only signing (although I fervently hope he is successful) is a 24 year old with no league experience.
He could be the new Scott Hogan; on the other hand he could be the new Jordan Williams/Jack Muldoon/Jon Shaw.
Unfortunately I remember 1973/74 and couldn’t stand six months of that when a raft of senior players left and we put our faith in untried youth.
For the first time in 60 years my faith is wavering.
Personal dilemma on 20:52 - Aug 12 with 5812 viewsdogboy

Yes it does seem to follow the lets see what happens concept, even non league clubs are tweeting the events of the friendlies they are having.. even Bury AFC have sold 800 team shirts to fans and they are set up to play at Stainton Park Radcliffe without any players for the following season as yet...save your money think of the fixtures...
AFC Blackpool v Bury AFC
Daisy Hill V Bury Afc
Holker Old Boys v Bury AFC
Lower Breck v BuryAFC
Seriously though it makes you think of why you watch football and the 73/74 season was the worst I have ever seen and touching my season ticket stubs for that season makes me want to put it on e bay. I wish Bury AFC all the best and I hope that their stay i the non league benefits all the clubs with increased attendances...seriously though if it was us would we still be a club .. credit to the bury fans
Personal dilemma on 21:27 - Aug 12 with 5752 viewsSandyman

Elldale - I get this. I will be doing the same on Saturday, and I wonder, why? Faith, Blind Faith (which I dislike intensely)... If the "little old Rochdale" "we can't cope at this level and we don't want new investment" trend from the boardroom continues, it's the last season ticket I will buy. What the F&^% is the point of an admirable struggle in vain led by the powers that be ? We exist, (hurrah) play kids at a level they can't compete at, get relegated and really expect lots of fans to buy into the club ethic? Costs or not, the powers that be @ RAFC are going to have to show some enthusiasm at running the club , or they might as well sell their shares and privileges to people with some enthusiasm and aspiration instead of the negative mindset the club projects all too often. One board member (Mr Kelly) puts his money where his mouth is. That, I admire. What do the rest of the board do financially to help RAFC out? There are two of them earning wages off the club without actively or obviously investing beyond their shareholdings. Think about it...
Personal dilemma on 21:37 - Aug 12 with 5732 viewsfunkkk

I couldn't be any less excited about the forthcoming season. Seems that the board can't or won't back BBM, we've lost our two top scorers and look unlikely to replace them. We can't even go to the ground for the first month and even when we can it sounds like it's going to be an absolutely shite day out (don't sing, shout or stand too close and no away fans).
Personal dilemma on 21:48 - Aug 12 with 5707 viewsChaffRAFC

You will not be on your own with this feeling EllDale.

The thought of us going into the season with the squad we have is frightening and I genuinely think we are on our way to league two, probably finishing bottom. What is the record lowest points for this league?

We have pleaded poverty and the chairman's statement, as open and transparent as it was, serves as a ready made excuse for relegation.

We are watching almost every other club take a different approach and strengthen their squad. This wasn't just another transfer window for us. It was one where we were having to replace our captain and vice captain, our first and second top goalscorer and our two best players, one of which is arguably our best ever player. On top of that we had the opportunity to finally get some big earners off the wage bill which we did, and now we did, we can't even f*****g use it to strengthen it seems. We've probably saved £15k a week in wages on that release list and so far spent maybe £1k a week on Newby from Chorley.

I will be trying to get a season ticket but I totally get why people feel we're going nowhere.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Personal dilemma on 22:26 - Aug 12 with 5593 viewsDaleiLama

Personal dilemma on 21:48 - Aug 12 by ChaffRAFC

You will not be on your own with this feeling EllDale.

The thought of us going into the season with the squad we have is frightening and I genuinely think we are on our way to league two, probably finishing bottom. What is the record lowest points for this league?

We have pleaded poverty and the chairman's statement, as open and transparent as it was, serves as a ready made excuse for relegation.

We are watching almost every other club take a different approach and strengthen their squad. This wasn't just another transfer window for us. It was one where we were having to replace our captain and vice captain, our first and second top goalscorer and our two best players, one of which is arguably our best ever player. On top of that we had the opportunity to finally get some big earners off the wage bill which we did, and now we did, we can't even f*****g use it to strengthen it seems. We've probably saved £15k a week in wages on that release list and so far spent maybe £1k a week on Newby from Chorley.

I will be trying to get a season ticket but I totally get why people feel we're going nowhere.

A sentiment expressed from inside the club to a mate who went along to claim a refund and was advised they expect ST sales to be a disaster. We'll see.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Personal dilemma on 22:33 - Aug 12 with 5577 viewsrhf

EllDale- spot on, there is a certain amount of inevitability about it all, even at this stage, and last years home performances and form, even with our best players (now released) was poor to say the least ,5 wins from 16 games, and only 19 goals. So it isn’t good to start with and with 1 National league signing so far, no recognised striker on the books, little in the goal keeper department, loan players returning, reliably on youth that just won’t cut it as regulars in league 1, it all paints a poor picture.We know it’s hard for us and a lot of clubs but you have got to try and give it a bit of go, we seem to be solely about planning for failure.
Personal dilemma on 22:43 - Aug 12 with 5544 viewsnordenblue

Personal dilemma on 22:26 - Aug 12 by DaleiLama

A sentiment expressed from inside the club to a mate who went along to claim a refund and was advised they expect ST sales to be a disaster. We'll see.

I'll show about as much enthusiasm and drive this coming season in attending games as the club have done in providing a team to actually support.

Every cloud....that should save me a good few quid
Personal dilemma on 22:58 - Aug 12 with 5518 viewsEllDale

The frustrating thing is that we could have the nucleus of a good team.
O’Connell, McShane and McNulty are more than competent defenders at this level.
A lot of teams would love to have Ryan, Morley, Lund and Rathbone available in midfield.
But that’s where it ends.
My concern is that other teams are stealing a march on us.
If we’re bottom of the league after losing the first four games whilst we’re still struggling to integrate loan players or panic bargain basement signings I can’t see us recovering.
Perhaps we got away with murder last year thanks to circumstances concerning Bury, Bolton and Southend? I can’t see us being as lucky again.
Like I said, I want to buy a season card as usual, just need a little bit of reassurance before shelling out £200.
Login to get fewer ads

Personal dilemma on 23:36 - Aug 12 with 5450 viewsHopwoodblue

Personal dilemma on 22:58 - Aug 12 by EllDale

The frustrating thing is that we could have the nucleus of a good team.
O’Connell, McShane and McNulty are more than competent defenders at this level.
A lot of teams would love to have Ryan, Morley, Lund and Rathbone available in midfield.
But that’s where it ends.
My concern is that other teams are stealing a march on us.
If we’re bottom of the league after losing the first four games whilst we’re still struggling to integrate loan players or panic bargain basement signings I can’t see us recovering.
Perhaps we got away with murder last year thanks to circumstances concerning Bury, Bolton and Southend? I can’t see us being as lucky again.
Like I said, I want to buy a season card as usual, just need a little bit of reassurance before shelling out £200.

There’s a saying don’t piss down the back of my legs and tell me it’s raining.
Our so called CEO relies on a message every few weeks trying to big us up as fans
when basically all the message says is please keep giving us your money and we will
give you very little in return apart from a sob story. Ok the new guys on the board are
not trusted but by whom ? Apart from ruining us financially isn’t it time we tried a different
approach ? What’s the worst that can happen relegation ? I’d rather die fighting than just lay down
and accept the inevitable. Let’s at least have a bit of investment and have a go a staying up!
You don’t have to bankrupt a club to ruin it.
It makes you look a dam site better taking a club into non league by under spending than it
does over spending.
Let’s face it there’s no way back for us if we were to drop out of the
Football league!
But as long as they are not to blame that’s all that matters
Let’s try something new and take a bit of a risk because four or so seasons from now
we could be meeting A.F.C. bury but for very different reasons.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Personal dilemma on 23:41 - Aug 12 with 5437 viewsDalenet

Personal dilemma on 22:26 - Aug 12 by DaleiLama

Is it the squad or other factors driving that? I expect BBM to be able to bring players in over the next few weeks. I expect they will play a couple of unannounced friendlies. So not given up yet.

My fear is whether I will feel safe in the stadium. I may have a free row in front and one behind, but some people don't appear to be able to sit through 45 minutes of football without getting up 2 or 3 times to push past you. Having spoken to others many feel the same. But I know that if I don't pay £335 this season I will lose my seat for the season after and that is my dilemma. Local lockdown rules mean you can't sit with the family you have sat with for 20 years too. Hardly a compelling buy is it?
Personal dilemma on 00:07 - Aug 13 with 5398 viewsD_Alien

Personal dilemma on 23:41 - Aug 12 by Dalenet

Is it the squad or other factors driving that? I expect BBM to be able to bring players in over the next few weeks. I expect they will play a couple of unannounced friendlies. So not given up yet.

My fear is whether I will feel safe in the stadium. I may have a free row in front and one behind, but some people don't appear to be able to sit through 45 minutes of football without getting up 2 or 3 times to push past you. Having spoken to others many feel the same. But I know that if I don't pay £335 this season I will lose my seat for the season after and that is my dilemma. Local lockdown rules mean you can't sit with the family you have sat with for 20 years too. Hardly a compelling buy is it?

And that's the real dilemma here - the over-riding uncertainty about conditions in the stadium and potential further closures. It's for that reason i won't be renewing. I don't accept the degree of pessimism regarding recruitment. We've had that on repeat every close season, so whilst this one may be the one that does for us, just looking at that core of seasoned pros we can build on tells me it's going to be nothing like 1973/74. There's some way to go yet and i take little notice of clubs taking on players - bury being the best (or worst) example in the 2017/18 close season

And, at least those fans with the attention spans of 3yo's who go on walkabout during games won't have a bar open to entice them away from the reason they turned up in the first place!

[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 0:38]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Personal dilemma on 00:52 - Aug 13 with 5356 views49thseason

2 out of 5 people that I have spoken to are not buying STs this season and another pal tells me 2 of his group aren't bothering this time either. Historically the ST has been a means of ensuring income from one season to the next, but God knows where our finances are at right now. Maybe borrowing money from the council has plugged part of the gap. So now we maybe down to 1000-1500 ST sales and more POTD if the team is competitive. A big "if" I suspect.
I dont think we will be the only club struggling, the salary cap and restricted attendances will affect some clubs more than others, most teams in L1 have much higher % attendances than we do, a biggish stadium and low avg attendance is not the worst place to be right now. Wimbledon get an average of 5.5k in a nearly 6k stadium they will be down to just 1500 or so attendees.
Personal dilemma on 08:53 - Aug 13 with 5134 viewsrod_leach

It's not the Board's fault the club has had no income for 6 months, or that we'll not have our usual matchday experience. I'll be renewing my season ticket and supporting the club I've supported for 40 odd years, and look forward to when things are back to normal.
Personal dilemma on 09:11 - Aug 13 with 5096 viewsDaleiLama

I sent a text to Rob speculating "Combination of average age of fans, virus, price increase, risk of further lockdowns + toothless team which can't score - can't say I'm optimistic either".
His reply: "summed up nicely"
Edit - I'm sure I read if you don't renew this season you will still be offered your seat the season after?
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 9:12]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Personal dilemma on 09:51 - Aug 13 with 5010 viewsNigeriamark

The trust have sent out a survey today asking people to give a view of the return to the terraces. I assume they will share the results with the club

The survey will take less than two minutes to complete and can be found:
https://daletrust.surveysparrow.com/s/Covid-19-survey/tt-1d77065977
Personal dilemma on 10:13 - Aug 13 with 4951 viewsDaleyBrent

I genuinely do understand and echo some of the concerns on here. The reality is at this moment we are clear favourites to get relegated. I have full faith in the management team and our crop of players to give it their best shot as they did last season. Whether that will be enough again is a different question.

For me, the dilemma is simple. Do I save my £335 on the basis that we’re not being as backed as we normally are and their seems to be a lack of ambition, therefor I’m not willing to part with my cash. Or do I stick by this football club I‘be supported al my life in their seemingly hour of need? For me personally, and I wouldn’t begrudge anyone who thinks differently, I’ll be in line on Saturday morning ready to buy a season ticket and support the club I love. It might be naive and it could well backfire.

Up the Dale. Win, Lose or Draw. SinginGor no singing. I’m there. Homegrown Youth Kids, Big Time Charlie’s - I’m there! 🔵⚫️
Personal dilemma on 10:56 - Aug 13 with 4877 viewsAncoats_Blue

Personal dilemma on 10:13 - Aug 13 by DaleyBrent

I genuinely do understand and echo some of the concerns on here. The reality is at this moment we are clear favourites to get relegated. I have full faith in the management team and our crop of players to give it their best shot as they did last season. Whether that will be enough again is a different question.

For me, the dilemma is simple. Do I save my £335 on the basis that we’re not being as backed as we normally are and their seems to be a lack of ambition, therefor I’m not willing to part with my cash. Or do I stick by this football club I‘be supported al my life in their seemingly hour of need? For me personally, and I wouldn’t begrudge anyone who thinks differently, I’ll be in line on Saturday morning ready to buy a season ticket and support the club I love. It might be naive and it could well backfire.

Up the Dale. Win, Lose or Draw. SinginGor no singing. I’m there. Homegrown Youth Kids, Big Time Charlie’s - I’m there! 🔵⚫️

I echo most of your thoughts. I think it’ll be a hard season but as mentioned on another thread I don’t think we’re dead buried yet. The clubs that came down are in turmoil for starters. Lack of transfer activity is a worry but then we always seem to leave it late.

Providing they don’t sell out before I buy then I’m renewing. I’m looking forward to the first game back and having something other than walking the dog to do on a Saturday.
Personal dilemma on 11:30 - Aug 13 with 4799 viewsscarrow

There's no argument that Dale need to add some more players to the squad, you'd hope they arguing to utilise the loan market. I'd expect a few new faces because financially Dale can't afford to be relegated.

An interview with BBM would be good, new parent yes but ten minutes of his plans for the new season, recruitment etc will go along way to helping out.

Poll: Final position

Personal dilemma on 11:37 - Aug 13 with 4773 viewsMass_Debater

Personal dilemma on 11:30 - Aug 13 by scarrow

There's no argument that Dale need to add some more players to the squad, you'd hope they arguing to utilise the loan market. I'd expect a few new faces because financially Dale can't afford to be relegated.

An interview with BBM would be good, new parent yes but ten minutes of his plans for the new season, recruitment etc will go along way to helping out.

It's pathetic that we haven't heard from him yet.
Personal dilemma on 12:29 - Aug 13 with 4666 viewsDaleyBrent

Personal dilemma on 11:30 - Aug 13 by scarrow

I must say I’m very surprised we haven’t heard from him yet. I think an appearance in the podcast would do us fans the world of good. As a fan base we all seem pretty down at the moment and often hearing from the manager can change that pretty quickly.

Could someone organise this? Wouldn’t it be great to have some supporters interviewing him as oppose to the pre-rehearsed questions he gets in iFollow interviews.

Something to look into?
Personal dilemma on 12:46 - Aug 13 with 4618 viewsfitzochris

Personal dilemma on 12:29 - Aug 13 by DaleyBrent

I must say I’m very surprised we haven’t heard from him yet. I think an appearance in the podcast would do us fans the world of good. As a fan base we all seem pretty down at the moment and often hearing from the manager can change that pretty quickly.

Could someone organise this? Wouldn’t it be great to have some supporters interviewing him as oppose to the pre-rehearsed questions he gets in iFollow interviews.

Something to look into?

You would probably find that he still wouldn't stray from the party line, no matter who was asking the questions.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Personal dilemma on 13:30 - Aug 13 with 4528 viewsChaffRAFC

https://d3d4football.com/league-one-two-transfers/

Good indication of how other clubs have dealt with the transfer window so far.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Personal dilemma on 13:32 - Aug 13 with 4524 viewsDaleFan7

Personal dilemma on 10:13 - Aug 13 by DaleyBrent

It's the latter for me, too. Even with the seemingly little backing, it's still 'my' football club and it does need all the support it can get right now so I'll also be there on Saturday morning. Frustrating as it is, if no one buys season tickets then they're biting off their nose to spite their face as there would be no club to support anyway, imo.

Like you say though, given the circumstances and people's personal circumstances at the moment, I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone feeling that way.
Personal dilemma on 13:53 - Aug 13 with 4457 viewsYouTubeDale

I have given it much thought too as to whether I should renew my season ticket. Yes, the same arguments...to what match day experience it will mean not sitting near the same folk having the banter, no Hendo, and so on. But to me it comes down to the basics...I am a Dale supporter and by far the greatest contribution I can make at this very difficult time in the club's history is to give them much needed cash for my season ticket and the sooner the better. If the club can see good financial support from Saturday then the sooner they can commit to new players. Yes, we all want to get back to normal but we have to face reality and be determined to get through this. If we can pull together by supporting the club financially then we stand a chance. Stay away, and you may regret it.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 13:57]

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Personal dilemma on 14:23 - Aug 13 with 4389 viewsDalenet

Personal dilemma on 13:53 - Aug 13 by YouTubeDale

I have given it much thought too as to whether I should renew my season ticket. Yes, the same arguments...to what match day experience it will mean not sitting near the same folk having the banter, no Hendo, and so on. But to me it comes down to the basics...I am a Dale supporter and by far the greatest contribution I can make at this very difficult time in the club's history is to give them much needed cash for my season ticket and the sooner the better. If the club can see good financial support from Saturday then the sooner they can commit to new players. Yes, we all want to get back to normal but we have to face reality and be determined to get through this. If we can pull together by supporting the club financially then we stand a chance. Stay away, and you may regret it.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 13:57]

Its fookin boring having travelled 300 miles round trip to now have to sit on your own to watch the game. A real shame that the EFL have stalled making decisions on i-follow. A deal that allowed all STs to watch every dale game all season as part of their ticket could have taken all the risk away. I do want to support my club but a £335 'donation' may just be a step too far.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024