Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 01:18 - Sep 29 with 195269 viewsDr_Parnassus

Who will be watching? First one kicks off in 24 hours time.

The Democrats have pulled Joe back from his campaign trail recently to get him prepared, so hopefully it will be a decent exchange.

Unfortunately they don’t seem to have great confidence as they have spent the last month looking for any dirt they can dig up so Joe can use if he gets stuck.

It’s no coincidence that this vote influencing Facebook algorithm story is being shamelessly and inaccurately made into a race issue on the eve of the debates. So transparent and disingenuous, it’s a shame politics has come to this on this level where black people are being used in this way to score political points. I would be furious if I was them, but it does seem a lot of people are not falling for this one and calling it out for what it is.

People finally seem to be getting wise to this political race baiting which is refreshing to see.

It’s also telling that in the week of the debate they try and paint Trump as a tax evasion offender. I think that’s what they wanted the tax returns to show, they seem to have got annoyed when it turns out his tax returns were fine in accordance to what his companies profits were - but decided to run with it anyway. Any news is good news in their mind as it’s another thing Joe can use when in a tricky spot.

But I hope the discussions remain political and doesn’t turn into some form of gossip peddling reality TV episode.

Although I think there should be some kind of drinking game involved if it does turn that way, how many times Biden completely loses his thread of thought and blurts out “I mean, think about it...” you have to take a shot.

I will be watching with great interest anyway.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 12:42 - Dec 2 with 1666 viewsItchySphincter

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 12:24 - Dec 2 by A_Fans_Dad

Just one word.
RINO.

Thats not a word. Anyway, all you have to do to redeem yourself is accept that you backed the wrong horse and that your stubbornness has led to you being hoodwinked and manipulated by frauds and snake oil salesmen. It’s not hard so come on AFD, time to put it to bed and distance yourself from these loonies.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:42 - Dec 2 with 1632 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 12:42 - Dec 2 by ItchySphincter

Thats not a word. Anyway, all you have to do to redeem yourself is accept that you backed the wrong horse and that your stubbornness has led to you being hoodwinked and manipulated by frauds and snake oil salesmen. It’s not hard so come on AFD, time to put it to bed and distance yourself from these loonies.

That just goes to show how truly clueless you are, why don't you use google before making an idiot of yourself?
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 14:47 - Dec 2 with 1599 viewsItchySphincter

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:42 - Dec 2 by A_Fans_Dad

That just goes to show how truly clueless you are, why don't you use google before making an idiot of yourself?

Lol.

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 14:48 - Dec 2 with 1599 viewsDJack

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 05:02 - Dec 2 by Dr_Parnassus

Read what you just typed, then read the number 2 point that you claimed a fact (which isn’t a fact).

Then backtrack to your hearts desire.

The 6th amendment is for a criminal case where there is an accused party. Someone saying they were not allowed to watch is not accusing someone of a crime, but a system of malpractice.

I don’t even need to Google to know that. But you should have spent some extra time looking up on the difference between criminal cases and civil cases.

Happy to help if you need it.

2hrs 40 mins for your reply, lost your edge.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 16:51 - Dec 2 with 1564 viewsDr_Parnassus

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 14:48 - Dec 2 by DJack

2hrs 40 mins for your reply, lost your edge.

But not my accuracy, unfortunately for you.

Unlucky.

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 18:03 - Dec 2 with 1538 viewsDJack

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 16:51 - Dec 2 by Dr_Parnassus

But not my accuracy, unfortunately for you.

Unlucky.

That was my point, your accuracy came from the time frame.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 18:06 - Dec 2 with 1534 viewsDr_Parnassus

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 18:03 - Dec 2 by DJack

That was my point, your accuracy came from the time frame.

I can’t always be around to answer you immediately. I told you quite clearly that your piece was incorrect, twice.

It’s far more time effective for you to be accurate and know your subject first off than wait for me to explain to you why. I have told you time and time again that copy and pasting other people’s opinions won’t do you any good.

But glad we agree his opinion piece was nonsense now.

Now maybe have some opinions of your own which you can actually discuss as you have thought about them and formed them yourself? Just an idea.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 18:08]

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 18:20 - Dec 2 with 1528 viewsProfessor

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:42 - Dec 2 by A_Fans_Dad

Well google can make you ani idiot too.
Login to get fewer ads

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 19:03 - Dec 2 with 1512 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 18:20 - Dec 2 by Professor

Well google can make you ani idiot too.

Perhaps you would like to defend his idiocy by showing us that there is no such word as RINO?
Or are you just blowing through your orifice as usual?
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 21:29 - Dec 2 with 1472 viewsItchySphincter

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 19:03 - Dec 2 by A_Fans_Dad

Perhaps you would like to defend his idiocy by showing us that there is no such word as RINO?
Or are you just blowing through your orifice as usual?

Acronym you tool.

Jesus wept. 😂

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 21:38 - Dec 2 with 1468 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 21:29 - Dec 2 by ItchySphincter

Acronym you tool.

Jesus wept. 😂

So an acronym is not a word now?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/acronym
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 07:47 - Dec 3 with 1408 viewsProfessor

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 21:38 - Dec 2 by A_Fans_Dad

So an acronym is not a word now?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/acronym

Acronym is a word, but an acronym like RINO is not. It is an acronym.
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 10:07 - Dec 3 with 1381 viewsDr_Parnassus

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 07:47 - Dec 3 by Professor

Not that I wish to add to such petty nonsense... but you are incorrect, as a keen admirer of linguistics, I can assure you that an acronym is a word.

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 10:55 - Dec 3 with 1359 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 07:47 - Dec 3 by Professor

The dictionary says and I quote
"noun
a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words and pronounced as a separate word, asWac from Women's Army Corps,OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.
See the 3rd word it says "WORD".
Prof, you need to to stick to Chickens, the other stuff you post is a disaster, like UK minorities for instance.
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 12:39 - Dec 3 with 1327 viewsProfessor

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 10:55 - Dec 3 by A_Fans_Dad

"noun
a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words and pronounced as a separate word, asWac from Women's Army Corps,OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.
Prof, you need to to stick to Chickens, the other stuff you post is a disaster, like UK minorities for instance.

God you neo-fascists are humourless souls.
Lost your sense of irony along with your humanity.

And if you call me a lefty,
I will call you fascists.
As you are, if I am a lefty
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:19 - Dec 3 with 1311 viewsProfessor

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 10:07 - Dec 3 by Dr_Parnassus

Not that I wish to add to such petty nonsense... but you are incorrect, as a keen admirer of linguistics, I can assure you that an acronym is a word.

That’s etymology though, not linguistics. Derivation of a word. Linguistics in language.
Subtle difference. Greek I reckon in this case. Acro normally defines something being tall (like acromegaly- being very tall) and nym is name. Like pseudonym which is literally false name. Fascist of course comes from fascia- a bundle of sticks. Symbol of power in Rome. Latin and 30 plus years in biology is good for working these out.
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:39 - Dec 3 with 1299 viewsDr_Parnassus

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:19 - Dec 3 by Professor

That’s etymology though, not linguistics. Derivation of a word. Linguistics in language.
Subtle difference. Greek I reckon in this case. Acro normally defines something being tall (like acromegaly- being very tall) and nym is name. Like pseudonym which is literally false name. Fascist of course comes from fascia- a bundle of sticks. Symbol of power in Rome. Latin and 30 plus years in biology is good for working these out.

It’s linguistics, probably Latin derived from lingua, which is tongue.

It’s the construction of the spoken and written word.

An acronym is a word, any linguist worth his/her salt will tell you the same.

Are you doing that thing again where you cowardly accuse someone of being something quite unsavoury, only to back away when explored further and asked for specifics to back up said assertion? It’s an odd hobby I just say.

This isn’t because you were wrong again is it?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 13:49]

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:57 - Dec 3 with 1286 viewsDr_Parnassus

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 12:39 - Dec 3 by Professor

Can we call you a rapist then? I tried another word the last time you seemed like you wanted to play this game of yours.... and you reported the post for abuse and ran off to the other forum to tell them all.

So it’s best I know the rules before I join in this time.

You have called people fascists, racists and pieces of dirt on this thread, awful pejoratives. Each and every time however you were unable to back any of those words up, and was usually off the back of you fundamentally not understanding the topic being discussed and thus the points being made.

I can only assume you are doing it to play (while not liking it when others join in) or to make up for your lack of faith behind your points.

But like any game, it’s no fun if you play on your own. So let us know the rules so we can join in. Thanks in advance.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 14:03]

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 14:13 - Dec 3 with 1280 viewslondonlisa2001

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 10:55 - Dec 3 by A_Fans_Dad

"noun

Some acronyms are words and some aren’t.

Radar is. RINO is not. It may become one in the future of course. Language constantly evolves.
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 15:09 - Dec 3 with 1246 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 12:39 - Dec 3 by Professor

I haven't called you anything, so why are you abusing me?
Couldn't be anything to do with me referring to a post on the other forum where you got proved wrong multiple times I suppose?
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 15:09 - Dec 3 with 1245 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 14:13 - Dec 3 by londonlisa2001

Some acronyms are words and some aren’t.

Radar is. RINO is not. It may become one in the future of course. Language constantly evolves.

Prove it. or shut it.
RINO has been around for decades.
"Republican In Name Only is a pejorative term used primarily by conservative members of the United States Republican Party to describe Republicans whose political stances are deemed insufficiently conservative."
"A pejorative or slur is a word or grammatical form expressing a negative connotation"
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 15:16]
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 15:22 - Dec 3 with 1237 viewslondonlisa2001

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 15:09 - Dec 3 by A_Fans_Dad

Prove it. or shut it.
RINO has been around for decades.
"Republican In Name Only is a pejorative term used primarily by conservative members of the United States Republican Party to describe Republicans whose political stances are deemed insufficiently conservative."
"A pejorative or slur is a word or grammatical form expressing a negative connotation"
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 15:16]

I know what it means thanks.

It’s an acronym which is a form of abbreviation.

Some acronyms become words in their own right due to common usage. As I said, radar is one of those. RINO is not.

Generally, the fact you (everyone) writes it all capitalised indicates it’s not a word in its own right. Not in the OED, can’t use it in scrabble...
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 16:05 - Dec 3 with 1213 viewsLohengrin

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:19 - Dec 3 by Professor

” Fascist of course comes from fascia...”

Blimey! I do hope that’s a typo, Prof!? The term Fascist derives from the ‘Fasces.’ The bundle of rods bound together with an axe that the Licters of Rome would parade before the courts. It’s one of antiquity’s most recognisable symbols and you see it everywhere in the West to this day. From the House of Commons to the Old Bailey; from the US Senate building to the Lincoln Memorial. It’s the physical representation of ‘strength through unity.’ Mussolini may have made obsessive use of it but it wasn’t his.

“Fascia”on the other hand are guttering boards!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 16:16 - Dec 3 with 1204 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 15:22 - Dec 3 by londonlisa2001

I know what it means thanks.

It’s an acronym which is a form of abbreviation.

Some acronyms become words in their own right due to common usage. As I said, radar is one of those. RINO is not.

Generally, the fact you (everyone) writes it all capitalised indicates it’s not a word in its own right. Not in the OED, can’t use it in scrabble...

You obviously did not bother to read the definition of acronym, it specifically say's it is a word.
It is used as a word and has been for over 20 years, it is not pronounced R I N O, it is pronounced RINO, just as AWACs, LASER and many others are used in daily life.

You can prove nothing, it is merely your biased opinion.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 16:16]
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 17:34 - Dec 3 with 1179 viewslondonlisa2001

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 16:16 - Dec 3 by A_Fans_Dad

You obviously did not bother to read the definition of acronym, it specifically say's it is a word.
It is used as a word and has been for over 20 years, it is not pronounced R I N O, it is pronounced RINO, just as AWACs, LASER and many others are used in daily life.

You can prove nothing, it is merely your biased opinion.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 16:16]

It’s not an opinion.

Whether something is or isn’t a ‘word’ isn’t a case of whether people use it or not. Pronouncing it R.I.N.O. would make it an initialism. Initialisms are differentiated by the initial letters being pronounced separately (BBC). Acronyms are types of initialisms that are pronounced as though words whether they actually are or aren’t (largely pronounced that way because they can be to be honest - you can’t pronounce BBC as though a word).

Some acronyms are now ‘words in their own right‘ (radar, scuba) and some are not. I think NASA is now a word in its own right (a rare example of one that is still generally capitalised by most - radar is not written RADAR any longer -although obviously it once was - most acronyms that become words in their own right drop the capitalisation).

There’s a definitive list of ‘words’ in the English language that includes those that are still in usage and those that have ever been in usage. Not all things that are pronounced or used as though words are actually words. And not everything that is included in a substandard online dictionary is either btw, before you bombard us with ‘proof’.

Quite why I would be biased as to whether RINO is a word or not is beyond me. It will be one day I imagine given how common its usage is. Until then, you’ll have to content yourself with rhino (noun, informal, rhinoceros).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024