Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Nicholl dementia 21:01 - Nov 5 with 946 viewsNotLoyal

Southampton site which I think is connected this one.
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/50884/saints-legend-chri

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Chris Nicholl dementia on 21:24 - Nov 5 with 922 viewsFireboy2

Bloody hell that isnt good news.

A proper old school CH and a decent manager.so good to see walsall helping him out as much as possible, I hope they keep taking him to the games as that will do him the world of good.
Chris Nicholl dementia on 01:19 - Nov 6 with 861 viewsWanderer

what a great bunch of supporters, hat off to all of you.
With all the bad news in the headlines it's great to read a story with compassion and empathy.
Chris Nicholl dementia on 08:14 - Nov 6 with 810 viewsCatullus

It may be connected to heading the ball...

It's brilliant what the Walsall fans are doing, dementia is a cruel disease and every bit of stimulation helps.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Chris Nicholl dementia on 12:10 - Nov 6 with 757 viewsReslovenSwan1

It should be a straight forward statistical job to identify if football heading is a cause of dementia based on positions.

Centre half and big target man centre forwards are far more likely to be heading the ball than impsih midfielders. How often did Leon Britton head the ball? He would do his duty and hustle but would rarely come into contact with the ball with his head compared to Swanseas centrebacks.

The PFA should be all over this and already have the data.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Chris Nicholl dementia on 13:35 - Nov 6 with 750 viewsKeithHaynes

Chris Nicholl dementia on 12:10 - Nov 6 by ReslovenSwan1

It should be a straight forward statistical job to identify if football heading is a cause of dementia based on positions.

Centre half and big target man centre forwards are far more likely to be heading the ball than impsih midfielders. How often did Leon Britton head the ball? He would do his duty and hustle but would rarely come into contact with the ball with his head compared to Swanseas centrebacks.

The PFA should be all over this and already have the data.

I’m pretty sure it’s unquestionably a contributing factor, if you continually bang your head off a surface for 20 years every day it can’t help.

This helps.
What happens to the brain when you head a ball?
There are growing fears that regular heading of a ball increases the risk of footballers developing dementia, and dying from the disease.
A football weighs almost half a kilogram, and scientists have calculated that it can strike a player's head at speeds up to 128km/h.
When a ball strikes the head the brain, which floats within the skull cavity, bounces against the skull's back wall, causing bruising.
A 2018 study by the University of British Columbia found that blood levels of proteins associated with damage to nerve cells increase after heading the ball.
A single header is unlikely to cause any significant damage, but over an extended period the combined effect might lead to problems.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Chris Nicholl dementia on 13:52 - Nov 6 with 740 viewsonehunglow

All of which hows rugby football is basically potentially lethal.

Extend the argument to boxing,which ,all thing considered,is the single most lethal sport of all,which should be worthy of a total ban.

Men and indeed women smashing each other to a pulp in 2020 doesnt say much for the development of mankind that we allow this to go on and ensure it remains a business.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Chris Nicholl dementia on 17:43 - Nov 6 with 711 viewsCatullus

Every contact sport carries dangers though. Peop e accept the risks, it's what insurance is for!
If we stopped doing everything that's risky to our health we might as well be dead anyway. That includes sleeping, a lot of people die in their sleep, it's lethal I tell you!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024