Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium 12:11 - Feb 20 with 1399 viewsdurham_exile

"If it wasn't for a really disappointing couple of goals on Sunday, then we win the game." - Steve Ball

A bizarre quote and one that sums up the Head Coach, confused, unclear and lacking in credibility.

Anyway, I promised myself that I would not be too negative in my preview today. So, let us dwell on the positives.

So instead of saying that we have not won for 11 games, let us say that we have 5 draws out of the last 7 games. Also, those draws have been against Mansfield, Orient, Stevenage, Cambridge, and Cheltenham all teams that have been on decent runs or are well placed in the table.

Cambridge 29 49

Oldham 27 34
COL U 27 33
PV 28 32
Scunny 26 32
Stevenage 29 32
Southend 28 34
Barrow 26 23
Grimsby 27 21

The return of Big Frank has been a massive boost for the squad. His goal against Mansfield was masterful and Brendan Wiredu is also a very useful addition to the squad.

In Pell, Stevenson, Wiredu, Lapslie, and Chilvers we have a very effective midfield, but SB is not able to play them all in the same side.

Harriott, Brown and Nouble must play preferably together and upfront.

In defence Welch-Hayes, Eastman, Smith and Clampin look the best four with Doherty left back and Junior Tchamadeu right back cover and utility player Sowunmi who can play in a number of positions.

Then we have Gerken and George as Goalkeepers. I bitterly regret the loss of Ethan Ross who would make a superb number one, but that ship has sailed.

We have to mention Courtney Senior (now with 137 appearances and 14 goals though nothing this year). He has regressed massively and should spend time on the bench and in the U23s to see whether he can recreate the promise that he initially showed at the club. I want the lad to do well, but when a side is struggling, and we are, then there is no room for passengers.

Poku is an enigma. He can be brilliant, last season at Salford was his best game ever in a U’s shirt, but he fails to strike that form on a regular basis.

Paris Cowan-Hall is the forgotten man, he was outstanding against Spurs and kept Son in his pocket all game. I know that he has been injured but SB has ignored him. Versatile he can play defence, midfield, or even up front. What is going on here?

Marley Marshal-Miranda is often on the bench and plays midfield, but I do not know enough about him to make a qualified judgement.

Then the two imponderables Josh Bohui and Michael Folivi. SB does not use them to best effect and in fact they are very much on the periphery of the team.

Samson Tovide is the player that excites me. Young, untried but plenty of potential. Get him into the team soon even as the famous 8-minute substitute.

Quite frankly these players should not be 18th in the league. The fact that they are is down more to crass stupidity from SB rather than failings on their part.

There have been too many 4,6,0 or 4,5,1-line ups where a lone striker is isolated or exposed to two or three defenders and marked out of the game.

Many people have made this season one of survival. That frankly is rubbish. We wasted a golden opportunity with the FA Cup to make 250K and that set the standard of indifference and incompetence.

Four teams will be promoted and two relegated, it is that simple. Barring miracles, we have lost any chance of promotion and so we are in a relegation scrap. Ultimately Barrow and Grimsby will go down (Southend will escape) but in 18th place, we are too close for comfort.

Victory today could see us rise to the dizzy heights of 12th in the table. That is simply not good enough. We have 19 games to play and we still need 20 points to be mathematically safe. 40 points would see an unlikely top seven position but let us be realistic 40 points from 19 games is not going to happen. 5 successive failures to get out of the basement league that is poor by any standard. Yes, no team has a divine right to promotion, but we are advancing backwards under the current regime.

Tony Ashby has left the club this week and the silence has been deafening. Will he be replaced as a Director of the Club?

Hayden Mullins joined the club with a pedigree of knowledge and experience, is he actually allowed to get involved at any stage.

50 years since that game against Leeds and 15 years since Parky took us to the promised land.

2021 is looking like our lowest position finish since we went out of the league. A grim prospect.

As a man who is of the glass half full persuasion, I am looking for the positives and today we must look to win the game at the 12th attempt. A clean sheet must be the aim and then to score a priceless away goal to win the match.

I would look to start with the following XI:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Clampin

Stevenson Pell Lapslie

Harriott Brown Nouble

Subs:
George Sowunmi Doherty Wiredu Folivi Oteh Chilvers

Sadly, I will be wrong in my selection, but that is why SB is the Head Coach and me simply a supporter.

Weather in Crawley West Sussex 14 degrees Celsius and dry with sunny intervals. Almost sub-tropical in fact.

Colchester to win by 1-0 with Jevani Brown restored to the team getting the all-important winner. He should not have been dropped in the first place.

I have spent £250 on games this season with three “free games” after winning weekly codes. At least I have watched every game and would have already spent more actually attending about 12 games when travelling expenses and game day spend is considered.
Of course I have also spent £120 on club merchandise this season.

Come on the U’s give me and the rest of the faithful something to cheer today.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 13:12]

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 12:48 - Feb 20 with 898 viewsgerry_us

Did you mention we have the worst away record in the division?
Maybe today we can start putting it right..maybe.
11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 13:00 - Feb 20 with 883 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 12:48 - Feb 20 by gerry_us

Did you mention we have the worst away record in the division?
Maybe today we can start putting it right..maybe.

Gerry I tried to balance out the content.

I drew up a list of positives and negatives. You dont want to see the negative list!

As long serving U's aficionados we have seen it all before. The U's have this ability to go on one of these long winless runs then pick up just in time to see us fail by about three points from achieving a play off place.

At least this season there is no chance of that because the damage has already been done.

Whether we win today depends on whether SB is brave and bold or weak and spineless.

I'll let you know at 4:50pm.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 14:39 - Feb 20 with 853 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 13:00 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

Gerry I tried to balance out the content.

I drew up a list of positives and negatives. You dont want to see the negative list!

As long serving U's aficionados we have seen it all before. The U's have this ability to go on one of these long winless runs then pick up just in time to see us fail by about three points from achieving a play off place.

At least this season there is no chance of that because the damage has already been done.

Whether we win today depends on whether SB is brave and bold or weak and spineless.

I'll let you know at 4:50pm.

Up the U's

Team

Gerken
Eastman Sowunmi Smith Welch-Hayes
Pell Stevenson
Harriott Poku Nouble
Oteh

Senior Brown Chilvers Wiredu George Tchamadeu Folivi

With left back cover why play Welch-Hayes out of position
Why Oteh up front instead of Brown.
Does SB bear grudges and is making Brown an example because he dared to speak out.

At least Folivi is on the bench

Up the U's

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 14:53 - Feb 20 with 844 viewswessex_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 14:39 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

Team

Gerken
Eastman Sowunmi Smith Welch-Hayes
Pell Stevenson
Harriott Poku Nouble
Oteh

Senior Brown Chilvers Wiredu George Tchamadeu Folivi

With left back cover why play Welch-Hayes out of position
Why Oteh up front instead of Brown.
Does SB bear grudges and is making Brown an example because he dared to speak out.

At least Folivi is on the bench

Up the U's

I'm liking that Nouble is out on the left. Not sure about Oteh up front, but I'd say it's more of a natural position for him than Jevani?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:13 - Feb 20 with 835 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 14:53 - Feb 20 by wessex_exile

I'm liking that Nouble is out on the left. Not sure about Oteh up front, but I'd say it's more of a natural position for him than Jevani?

Welch-Hayes on the right then Sowunmi and Eastman with Smith left back.

Doherty and Clampin left out?

Early stages evens.

Pitch looks good, bit thin in places but no surface water.

Interesting that commentators always seem to have a problem with our green shirt. I like it and invested in both the home and the green shirt this season.

Big Frank operating down both flanks on an alternate basis.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:15 - Feb 20 with 832 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:13 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

Welch-Hayes on the right then Sowunmi and Eastman with Smith left back.

Doherty and Clampin left out?

Early stages evens.

Pitch looks good, bit thin in places but no surface water.

Interesting that commentators always seem to have a problem with our green shirt. I like it and invested in both the home and the green shirt this season.

Big Frank operating down both flanks on an alternate basis.

Up the U's

In fairness to Oteh he is having a decent game.

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:23 - Feb 20 with 822 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:15 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

In fairness to Oteh he is having a decent game.

U's having the better of it. Plenty of corners but poor delivery.

I think that there is a goal in this for Colchester

Up the U's

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:33 - Feb 20 with 813 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:23 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

U's having the better of it. Plenty of corners but poor delivery.

I think that there is a goal in this for Colchester

Up the U's

Pell off Wiredu on.
Pell taken a knock.

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:36 - Feb 20 with 808 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:33 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

Pell off Wiredu on.
Pell taken a knock.

Sowunmi hits the post but at the wrong end!

It would have been an injustice if it had gone in.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:45 - Feb 20 with 797 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:36 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

Sowunmi hits the post but at the wrong end!

It would have been an injustice if it had gone in.

Up the U's

At last a booking for one of the dirty Crawley defenders.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:47 - Feb 20 with 795 viewsgerry_us

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:50 - Feb 20 with 788 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:47 - Feb 20 by gerry_us

HT 0-0

Big second half to come

I think we will go on to win.

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:14 - Feb 20 with 770 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 15:50 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

HT 0-0

Big second half to come

I think we will go on to win.

Come on the U's

Francombe has committed several fouls

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:15 - Feb 20 with 769 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:14 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

Come on the U's

Francombe has committed several fouls

Oteh unlucky

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:28 - Feb 20 with 762 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:15 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

Oteh unlucky

Oteh and Poku off

Chilvers and Brown on

Come on

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:40 - Feb 20 with 753 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:28 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

Oteh and Poku off

Chilvers and Brown on

Come on

Lack of quality in the final third.

We do need to improve in that key area

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:44 - Feb 20 with 751 viewsnoah4x4

This is the team selection that most folk want and we still look toothless. So far, Oteh has had a much better game than the anonymous Brown. Harriott very poor.
11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:50 - Feb 20 with 747 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:40 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

Lack of quality in the final third.

We do need to improve in that key area

Harriott off Folivi on

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:52 - Feb 20 with 744 viewsnoah4x4

Humes Out!
Ball Out!
Nothing else to say
11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:55 - Feb 20 with 733 viewsdurham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:50 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

Harriott off Folivi on

Lovely goal but whistle had already gone!

Folivi dived on the edge of the box

Shocking goal undeserved

Definitely should have had a point.

Very unlucky defeat

Durham_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 17:00 - Feb 20 with 711 viewswessex_exile

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 16:55 - Feb 20 by durham_exile

Lovely goal but whistle had already gone!

Folivi dived on the edge of the box

Shocking goal undeserved

Definitely should have had a point.

Very unlucky defeat

Unlucky defeat, but not a good performance at all - very poor!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 18:16 - Feb 20 with 652 viewsburnsieespana

My personal view for what it is worth, we should stop calling for the sacking of SB to let him get on with the rest of the season which we always knew was going to be uninspiring and all about survival in financial terms.
Yes, I know we could still go down the pan but fortunately a number of teams below us are in a far worse state.
Again personally I suspect SB will be gone at the end of this season and was only ever seen by RC as a stop gap measure to see us through until May.
So let's rally round and support our club so that the players and Head Coach feel supported so we get the points required.
11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 18:23 - Feb 20 with 648 viewspwrightsknees

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 18:16 - Feb 20 by burnsieespana

My personal view for what it is worth, we should stop calling for the sacking of SB to let him get on with the rest of the season which we always knew was going to be uninspiring and all about survival in financial terms.
Yes, I know we could still go down the pan but fortunately a number of teams below us are in a far worse state.
Again personally I suspect SB will be gone at the end of this season and was only ever seen by RC as a stop gap measure to see us through until May.
So let's rally round and support our club so that the players and Head Coach feel supported so we get the points required.

Agreed Burnsie.

We fans just have to weather the storm till May, and then hope for changes, within our tight budget, of course.

If there was one thing that brightened me up, it was Frank's work rate. He didn't stop running, or trying to make things happen, unfortunately with not much support.
11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 18:41 - Feb 20 with 628 viewsbwildered

Having had my vaccine jab today, hallucinations are taking hold, started to think we conceded in third minute extra time against ten men . Manager will be blaming playing surface next. And the next four games look pointless .
Starting to think we are the Tractorboys of L2 .
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 18:43]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

11th time lucky for super U's at the People's Pension Stadium on 19:00 - Feb 20 with 610 viewsnoah4x4

I have vehemently supported past managers on this board for 16 years usually against the tide of opinion. However, fans have suffered from a diabolical lack of leadership from one failure who incredibly was rewarded with promotion to Director of Football. Appointing his cronies to team management continues his failed philosophy.

Today, our winless record was extended to 12; but shots on target 2. How do we hope to win when we can’t score goals? We are fortunate that Barrow, Southend and Grimsby have been as poor. But can I remind folk that we lost to Southend, drew with Barrow and have to travel to Grimsby. The return fixtures are six pointers and two of these have a game in hand. We are in a relegation scrap however we might dress this predicament and Humes and Ball are solely responsible. Confidence in the dressing room must be rock bottom and new management is the only way to change that. More of the same brings just that, the same.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024