Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS 14:59 - Feb 23 with 2404 viewsdurham_exile

Today is 23rd February 2021 and we find ourselves 20th in League Two.

On Saturday 7 March 2020 we won 3-0 at Carlisle (JM’s 200th game in charge of Colchester) before the shutters came down on the league season and that ensured we qualified for the play offs. On Tuesday 18 June we played Exeter City in the Semi-Final 1st Leg of the League Two play offs and won 1-0. The rest as they say is history or more properly a Stephen King horror story.

We bounced around the top seven for a while this season and last won a game of football on Tuesday 8 December 2020. Since then, we have gone 12 games without a victory. The result is we are now in a relegation battle. Will it be lucky 13 tonight?

Mansfield 28 34 -2
PV 29 33 -3
COL U 28 33 -7
Stevenage 30 33 -7
Southend 29 24 -27
Barrow 27 23 -7
Grimsby 27 21 -26

Along with others I have called for SB to go. He simply is not a manager/ head coach, and he seems clueless about what is his best team, tactics to employ and how to get the best out of his players.

Let us look at our last game at Crawley:

He started:

Gerken
Welch-Hayes Sowunmi Eastman Smith
Pell Stevenson
Harriott Poku Nouble
Oteh

Subs:
Chilvers
Wiredu
Folivi
Brown
Senior
George
Tchamadeu

Pell was injured (again) on 32 minutes and Wiredu replaced him.
Chilvers replaced Poku on 67 mins and Brown replaced Oteh on 67 mins
Finally, Folivi replaced Harriott on 89 mins.

And this is SB’s problem, he does not play a settled team, he changes the line up every game, he refuses to play more than one striker and he has ruined our best striker Jevani Brown by leaving him as the lone striker and then dropping him and publicly stating he has to show more application no wonder Brown is pi**ed off.

We have two left backs in Clampin and Doherty; we were told a fully fit squad so why did they not feature on Saturday. Playing three Central Defenders at the back in a four is disjointed, SB has tried three at the back before and it did not work, he has tried 5 at the back and it was disastrous.

Play a flat back four and three in midfield and three up front. Be bold and constructive and take the game to the opposition.

Once again, I suggest tonight and for the foreseeable future 4,3,3:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Clampin

Lapslie Stevenson Wiredu

Harriott Brown Nouble

Subs:

George Sowunmi Chilvers Oteh Folivi Tovide Poku

Pell is injured, we do not know about Cowan-Hall and Senior must stay on the bench. When Pell is fit he can play alongside Ben Stevenson.

We have 18 games to garner 20 points for survival.

It is all about survival now. Relegation is unthinkable. SB’s job is safer than Klopp’s regrettable but true.

Survival will be good enough after such a shocking year. I would imagine that JM will be smiling. What did he do wrong, perhaps he spoke out about losing five key players? What the Chairman must do is stop internal appointments. Whether people like the situation or not Parky must be invited to return and he might if we survive. He knows about promotion and can get this team back to League One.

I have not even mentioned Exeter City yet. The result at St James’ Park was a disaster and they have the Indian sign over us at present. Matt Taylor plays a simple game always 3,5,2 and it is effective.

But tonight, they have no Ryan Bowman (our nemesis) who was dismissed at Newport together with Alex Hartridge, the nine men managed to grind out a 1-1- draw. It is that type of application and effort that we must start to show before it is too late.

The weather tonight in Colchester will be dry, mostly clear and 11 degrees c. Ideal for the match.

Can we achieve that elusive win? Yes, I believe so. Can we manage a clean sheet, yes, we can but only if we play the game in their half? Sitting back and encouraging the opposition on is not the answer.

Try and enjoy the game.

2-0 Colchester

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 15:33 - Feb 23 with 1112 viewsburnsieespana

Docherty was not allowed to play V Crawley his gone club but don't know about Clampin.
Hopefully the win will come tonight and the monkey will be off the teams back.
2-1 is my thought and I am happy with 4 4 2.
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 16:45 - Feb 23 with 1091 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Does Oteh not deserve to keep his place in the side? Brown didn't do a lot when he came on on Saturday. For me Pell has become a bit of a liability this season and Stevenson has been inconsistent at best. Chilvers has been the most successful aspect of this season so far and should definitely start in my opinion. Never been a huge fan of Lapslie but he works ever so hard for the team and maybe it would be good to have him on the pitch tonight.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 17:07 - Feb 23 with 1079 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 16:45 - Feb 23 by RSCOSWORTH

Does Oteh not deserve to keep his place in the side? Brown didn't do a lot when he came on on Saturday. For me Pell has become a bit of a liability this season and Stevenson has been inconsistent at best. Chilvers has been the most successful aspect of this season so far and should definitely start in my opinion. Never been a huge fan of Lapslie but he works ever so hard for the team and maybe it would be good to have him on the pitch tonight.

RS - Lapslie, Clampin and Pell all doubtful.

Chilvers to replace Lapslie if Tom is still unfit.

I agree Oteh played well on Saturday, but I prefer Brown who was given 23 minutes on Saturday after being dropped.

I don't agree with player power but Brown was on fire until mid November when SB started with the lone striker, no service and no support nonsence.

Big Frank has to play and SB will only play either Brown or Oteh so someone will miss out.

A tough ask tonight but we will never get a better chance to beat them without Bowman.

Up the U's
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 17:08]

Durham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 18:24 - Feb 23 with 1047 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 17:07 - Feb 23 by durham_exile

RS - Lapslie, Clampin and Pell all doubtful.

Chilvers to replace Lapslie if Tom is still unfit.

I agree Oteh played well on Saturday, but I prefer Brown who was given 23 minutes on Saturday after being dropped.

I don't agree with player power but Brown was on fire until mid November when SB started with the lone striker, no service and no support nonsence.

Big Frank has to play and SB will only play either Brown or Oteh so someone will miss out.

A tough ask tonight but we will never get a better chance to beat them without Bowman.

Up the U's
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 17:08]

Starting XI

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Doherty

Chilvers Stevenson Wiredu

Harriott Folivi Nouble

Subs

George Sowunmi Senior Oteh Brown Poku Sayer

Good enough now let's see a Col U victory

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 18:32 - Feb 23 with 1040 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 18:24 - Feb 23 by durham_exile

Starting XI

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Doherty

Chilvers Stevenson Wiredu

Harriott Folivi Nouble

Subs

George Sowunmi Senior Oteh Brown Poku Sayer

Good enough now let's see a Col U victory

Up the U's

Pitch looks a bit like Brighton beach.

But weather dry and the cardboard figures are watching the warm ups

Up the U's
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 18:32]

Durham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 18:38 - Feb 23 with 1029 viewsnoah4x4

Different yes. But it is back to 4-2-3-1 Durham.

I thought pairing Oteh + Nouble had shown a bit of promise. At least no Senior, no Poku and no Brown, so our forward work rate and ball retention should improve.

Fingers crossed.....
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 18:42 - Feb 23 with 1022 viewsBlue4U2

To be fair to SB Heard on BBC Essex that Clampin was injured in a training ground incident before kick off - also Doherty was not allowed to play against parent club

Once again 4 changes made to starting line up

Tonight is now a must win game
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 18:44 - Feb 23 with 1019 viewsgerry_us

One up front again. Has the "manager" not noted that Nouble spends most of his time on either touch line and not down the middle or in the penalty box .....where he should be. How does that help goal scoring. Get real please. Bring Brown back, quickly.
Login to get fewer ads

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:16 - Feb 23 with 992 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 18:38 - Feb 23 by noah4x4

Different yes. But it is back to 4-2-3-1 Durham.

I thought pairing Oteh + Nouble had shown a bit of promise. At least no Senior, no Poku and no Brown, so our forward work rate and ball retention should improve.

Fingers crossed.....

Noah David Gregory reckons it's 4 1 4 1

Exeter goal disallowed but clearly offside.

Where we do poorly is that we don't have midfield dominance in many games if at all.

Good run from Wiredu, Folivi looks lively.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:20 - Feb 23 with 989 viewsnoah4x4

It is still 1.

But it's looking more encouraging without Senior, Poku and Brown.
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:23 - Feb 23 with 985 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 18:44 - Feb 23 by gerry_us

One up front again. Has the "manager" not noted that Nouble spends most of his time on either touch line and not down the middle or in the penalty box .....where he should be. How does that help goal scoring. Get real please. Bring Brown back, quickly.

Gerry SB has fallen out with Brown which is unfortunate to say the least.

We are playing some decent stuff tonight and Exeter are not having it all their own way.

They miss Bowman.

Can we win, the truth is out there.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:26 - Feb 23 with 982 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:23 - Feb 23 by durham_exile

Gerry SB has fallen out with Brown which is unfortunate to say the least.

We are playing some decent stuff tonight and Exeter are not having it all their own way.

They miss Bowman.

Can we win, the truth is out there.

Up the U's

Exeter are dirty tonight and I don't mean the pitch conditions!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:29 - Feb 23 with 974 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:26 - Feb 23 by durham_exile

Exeter are dirty tonight and I don't mean the pitch conditions!

Up the U's

We had four defenders and still their guy was able to score lack of confidence.

Lots to do now.

Come on

Durham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:30 - Feb 23 with 976 viewsLeadbelly

Exeter score 30 seconds after I turned on the radio. Bugg3r!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:46 - Feb 23 with 951 viewsthrillseeker

Harriott very disappointing/ frustrating

Performance better than Saturday but same problem - we create little in front of goal and when we do we finish appallingly
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:47 - Feb 23 with 948 viewsgerry_us

So far..so bad!
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:51 - Feb 23 with 940 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:47 - Feb 23 by gerry_us

So far..so bad!

Big Frank should have equalised right on HT

lots to do second half

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:52 - Feb 23 with 940 viewsgerry_us

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 19:51 - Feb 23 by durham_exile

Big Frank should have equalised right on HT

lots to do second half

Up the U's

Shots on target ZERO. Says it all.
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 20:03 - Feb 23 with 931 viewsthrillseeker

Good to see Harriott subbed
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 20:05 - Feb 23 with 928 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 20:03 - Feb 23 by thrillseeker

Good to see Harriott subbed

Brown and Oteh on for Harriott and Folivi

Durham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 20:14 - Feb 23 with 921 viewsgerry_us

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 20:05 - Feb 23 by durham_exile

Brown and Oteh on for Harriott and Folivi

4-3-3? Only asking?
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 20:21 - Feb 23 with 906 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 20:14 - Feb 23 by gerry_us

4-3-3? Only asking?

Gerry 4,4,2

The midfield quartet in a diamond formation.

We cannot secure the possession we need in the final third.

Come on

A bit of luck required here tonight

Durham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 20:21 - Feb 23 with 906 viewsLeadbelly

Second goal for Exeter. Been one way traffic since half time. Think I’ll take the dogs for a walk and hope for a miracle.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 20:22 - Feb 23 with 905 viewsthrillseeker

Oh dear
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 20:23 - Feb 23 with 901 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 20:22 - Feb 23 by thrillseeker

Oh dear

Game over

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024