Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It takes one to know one? 08:40 - Apr 6 with 1850 viewsTheOldOakTree

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/19211215.colchester-united-boss-robbie-cowli

Always a good look to make up accusations of headbutting against a charity worker.

“The dialogue then seems to indicate that Mr Cowling was egging Mr Harris on to hit him"

....and who's the “f****** c***”?

Don't get him started on Mother Teresa
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 8:52]
It takes one to know one? on 18:06 - Apr 6 with 1737 viewswessex_exile

Crikey, that sounded like a lively tribunal!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

It takes one to know one? on 22:01 - Apr 6 with 1704 viewsdurham_exile

No wonder we can't afford any new players!

Durham_exile

It takes one to know one? on 08:50 - Apr 7 with 1669 viewsTheOldOakTree

More info here;

https://www.harwichandmanningtreestandard.co.uk/news/north_essex_news/19213052.f

An insight into how the man’s ‘business’ brain works? Why would you even get involved in a tribunal of a zero hours worker, isn't that’s what you have staff for? Let alone give allegedly false accounts to the police and allegedly goad someone into a fight? ….and then look back with little shame of your actions?

Yes, yes, I know there are more important things to worry about at the moment, but are they not the actions of someone who would happily destroy everything to prove his point?

I stopped posting anti RC posts years ago because it wasn’t fashionable, I understand that, but I am now, as I have always been, very concerned about how this chapter in our history will end.

Sad days, and nothing we can do about it.
It takes one to know one? on 17:33 - Apr 7 with 1621 viewsmfb_cufc

Robbie Issues Response

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2021/april/club-statement/

mfb

It takes one to know one? on 17:36 - Apr 7 with 1620 viewsdurham_exile

It takes one to know one? on 08:50 - Apr 7 by TheOldOakTree

More info here;

https://www.harwichandmanningtreestandard.co.uk/news/north_essex_news/19213052.f

An insight into how the man’s ‘business’ brain works? Why would you even get involved in a tribunal of a zero hours worker, isn't that’s what you have staff for? Let alone give allegedly false accounts to the police and allegedly goad someone into a fight? ….and then look back with little shame of your actions?

Yes, yes, I know there are more important things to worry about at the moment, but are they not the actions of someone who would happily destroy everything to prove his point?

I stopped posting anti RC posts years ago because it wasn’t fashionable, I understand that, but I am now, as I have always been, very concerned about how this chapter in our history will end.

Sad days, and nothing we can do about it.

The Chairman's latest rebuttal:

Following the local and national media stories concerning Colchester United's Football in the Community charity arm and one of its former employees, Robbie Cowling has issued the following:

"I hope everyone is well and had a nice Easter. My wife and I are so pleased that we can see our grandchildren again, even if it is just outside.

I am writing this in response to a very inaccurate story that has been published in a number of papers and relates to an employment tribunal that our Football in the Community Charity has been involved in.

Mark Harris worked for CUFC FITC, (Colchester United FC Football in the Community), on a casual part-time basis and bought multiple claims against CUFC FITC, Corin Haines the CEO of CUFC FITC and myself, a Trustee for the charity.

When the case was concluded, Mark lost all but one of his claims and all of the claims he made against myself. He succeeded on his claim that the reason he was not offered any more work after April 2019 was because his relationship with Corin Haines broke down following a meeting Mark attended in December 2018.

The court concluded that the meeting was a protected act and Mark was victimised for attending the meeting which led to his departure. Although I disagree with the court finding even one of his claims to be valid, the Charity wants to accept the court’s decision and move on.

I don’t know what sort of settlement the court will award to Mark for his one successful claim but the charity will let the courts decide what they must pay and it is unlikely to contest what they award him.

So in many ways it’s a story about nothing other than a bit of ‘handbags’ that went on after I, as the lead Trustee, heard Mark’s internal appeal hearing. However, I would like to clear up a few matters because the articles have been extremely unfair and not one of the publishers called me for my side of the story.

1. I have never claimed to have been head butted by Mark. He did bump himself into me and he did catch me under my eye with his head, but it was not a head butt and I have never claimed it was. The matter was reported to the police who undertook a thorough investigation questioning me at my office and Mark at the police station. The result was that Mark received a community resolution order and wrote me an apology which I accepted.

2. I never called Mark an F’ing C. After a tirade of abuse from him, I did call him a swear word beginning with W. The employment judge accepted Mark’s submission that I had to have said something highly offensive for Mark to react in the way he did and apparently they didn’t think the word I used was offensive enough so they believed his version. That was despite the whole issue being recorded by Mark and at no point am I heard to use those two words.

3. I swore just the once, which I accept was once too many times, but other than that I think I handled the disgruntled employee situation pretty well.

I understand I am a target and I know how lazy the papers are when they believe they have a story. They care more about selling copies than telling the truth. I would like to put the record straight for the sake of my family and because I would never do anything to bring the club in to disrepute.

I know many of you may consider me to be a lousy Chairman but I would like to think that you have found me to be an honest lousy Chairman.

My standards of behaviour are much higher than they are being portrayed in the media and I can assure you all that they will never drop that low."

Frankly we don't need this adverse publicity at a desperate time for our club.
I think that we need to move on and ensure that our Club doesn't sink into the abyss that is the Nationall League.

I still believe it is time for a new Chairman to take over, hopefully a League Two club.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

It takes one to know one? on 17:36 - Apr 7 with 1621 viewsbwildered

Ungentlemanly conduct - Yellow card , Foul and abusive language- Yellow card .
Tŵo yellows make a red Mr Chairman .

Can anyone recall spats with their management ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

It takes one to know one? on 19:30 - Apr 7 with 1598 viewswessex_exile

It takes one to know one? on 17:36 - Apr 7 by bwildered

Ungentlemanly conduct - Yellow card , Foul and abusive language- Yellow card .
Tŵo yellows make a red Mr Chairman .

Can anyone recall spats with their management ?

I've been involved in numerous 'protected conversations' (as management) with employees. Sometimes 'underperforming' employees, or employees where the relationship with management has fundamentally broken down beyond repair, and sometimes as an attempt to 'do right' by an employee whose employment just isn't working in anyone's best interest, particularly where their own mental health and well-being is concerned.

The advantage of these conversations is that they can sit outside of the traditional redundancy process, allowing both parties to reach a mutually amicable and beneficial financial arrangement without the fiscal constraints of a formal redundancy arrangement (i.e. you get what the government calculate you are entitled to, no more, no less). A protected conversation also allows both parties to avoid the generally damaging process of capability assessment etc. for the employee, the potential for dismissal rather then redundancy, and the longer-lasting trauma such can cause.

I was disturbed by the newspaper article, but on reading Robbie's response, which appears to be backed up by recorded evidence, it seems there are definitely two sides to the story, one of which doesn't seem to have been reported? Not a particularly edifying spectacle from any angle, but perhaps not quite the story as reported?

Up the U's

It takes one to know one? on 20:43 - Apr 7 with 1584 viewsTheOldOakTree

It takes one to know one? on 19:30 - Apr 7 by wessex_exile

I've been involved in numerous 'protected conversations' (as management) with employees. Sometimes 'underperforming' employees, or employees where the relationship with management has fundamentally broken down beyond repair, and sometimes as an attempt to 'do right' by an employee whose employment just isn't working in anyone's best interest, particularly where their own mental health and well-being is concerned.

The advantage of these conversations is that they can sit outside of the traditional redundancy process, allowing both parties to reach a mutually amicable and beneficial financial arrangement without the fiscal constraints of a formal redundancy arrangement (i.e. you get what the government calculate you are entitled to, no more, no less). A protected conversation also allows both parties to avoid the generally damaging process of capability assessment etc. for the employee, the potential for dismissal rather then redundancy, and the longer-lasting trauma such can cause.

I was disturbed by the newspaper article, but on reading Robbie's response, which appears to be backed up by recorded evidence, it seems there are definitely two sides to the story, one of which doesn't seem to have been reported? Not a particularly edifying spectacle from any angle, but perhaps not quite the story as reported?

I hear what you are saying....

... but it was also covered by the Daily Mail, so it must be true!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9436721/Millionaire-owner-Colchester-Un

Login to get fewer ads

It takes one to know one? on 20:53 - Apr 7 with 1577 viewswessex_exile

It takes one to know one? on 20:43 - Apr 7 by TheOldOakTree

I hear what you are saying....

... but it was also covered by the Daily Mail, so it must be true!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9436721/Millionaire-owner-Colchester-Un

Bah...and I would've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those pesky Daily Mail evidence-based investigative reporters!

Up the U's

It takes one to know one? on 21:30 - Apr 7 with 1565 viewsTheOldOakTree

It takes one to know one? on 20:53 - Apr 7 by wessex_exile

Bah...and I would've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those pesky Daily Mail evidence-based investigative reporters!

Whilst I appreciate there are always two sides to an arguement, if you read the report by the JUDGE, that is the tribunal JUDGE Mr Housego not a reporter, it says;

"The dialogue then seems to indicate that Mr Cowling was egging Mr Harris on to hit him"

Again from the JUDGE;

"Given the foul Language from Mr Cowling......"

OK - I'm prepared to settle for a draw, but given MrC's communication skills, I would suggest that in future he would be well advised to leave such matters to the Barrister who appeared to be in attendance at the tribunal and thereby not invite creative journalism upon himself.

It takes one to know one? on 22:23 - Apr 7 with 1554 viewsburnsieespana

Personally a non story in my humble view
Anything in the Daily Fail oops sorry Mail I discount as a matter of utter garbage. Sorry if it offends anyone
As to Mr Harris I don't know him but during my working life saw so often how one bad apple for whatever reason dragged the complete business down. I will send to get really upset when I worked hard seeing so called colleagues basically taking the p##s.
I think we should move on as far more important things whether it be beating this pandemic or the club, we all follow, avoiding the trapdoor.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2021 9:11]
It takes one to know one? on 00:11 - Apr 8 with 1545 viewswessex_exile

It takes one to know one? on 21:30 - Apr 7 by TheOldOakTree

Whilst I appreciate there are always two sides to an arguement, if you read the report by the JUDGE, that is the tribunal JUDGE Mr Housego not a reporter, it says;

"The dialogue then seems to indicate that Mr Cowling was egging Mr Harris on to hit him"

Again from the JUDGE;

"Given the foul Language from Mr Cowling......"

OK - I'm prepared to settle for a draw, but given MrC's communication skills, I would suggest that in future he would be well advised to leave such matters to the Barrister who appeared to be in attendance at the tribunal and thereby not invite creative journalism upon himself.

Fair do's - a draw seems equitable. No one comes out of this too much dignity, neither disgruntled employee Mr Harris, nor Trustee Robbie Cowling.

However, the inflammatory banner headline "Multi-millionaire owner of League Two football club Colchester United called disgruntled employee a 'f****** c***' before ‘being headbutted in corridor’ during row, tribunal hears" really doesn't help. Particularly as it would appear there are both actual recordings and presumably police reports to refute that claim?

I'm reminded of a Guardian article back in the early/mid 80s (pretty sure it must have been 1983/4 when I was in Castleford) under the banner headline "Did you know Bob Holness played saxophone on Baker Street?". The Guardian journalist responsible used it specifically to make a social experiment point.

Of course it wasn't true, nor did he actually want readers to be fooled by it, given he revealed at the end of the article it was actually Raphael Ravenscroft, not Bob Holness. What he wanted to do was demonstrate the point that most people read and believe a headline without necessarily reading and/or questioning the article beneath it.

That Baker Street headline spread like wildfire through mainstream media at the time, and I strongly suspect some still believe it to this day.

Up the U's

It takes one to know one? on 00:27 - Apr 8 with 1539 viewsLeadbelly

It takes one to know one? on 00:11 - Apr 8 by wessex_exile

Fair do's - a draw seems equitable. No one comes out of this too much dignity, neither disgruntled employee Mr Harris, nor Trustee Robbie Cowling.

However, the inflammatory banner headline "Multi-millionaire owner of League Two football club Colchester United called disgruntled employee a 'f****** c***' before ‘being headbutted in corridor’ during row, tribunal hears" really doesn't help. Particularly as it would appear there are both actual recordings and presumably police reports to refute that claim?

I'm reminded of a Guardian article back in the early/mid 80s (pretty sure it must have been 1983/4 when I was in Castleford) under the banner headline "Did you know Bob Holness played saxophone on Baker Street?". The Guardian journalist responsible used it specifically to make a social experiment point.

Of course it wasn't true, nor did he actually want readers to be fooled by it, given he revealed at the end of the article it was actually Raphael Ravenscroft, not Bob Holness. What he wanted to do was demonstrate the point that most people read and believe a headline without necessarily reading and/or questioning the article beneath it.

That Baker Street headline spread like wildfire through mainstream media at the time, and I strongly suspect some still believe it to this day.

Are you trying to tell me Bob Holness didn’t play saxophone on Baker Street? Next you’ll be claiming John Peel didn’t play mandolin on Maggie May.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

It takes one to know one? on 01:40 - Apr 8 with 1534 viewswessex_exile

It takes one to know one? on 00:27 - Apr 8 by Leadbelly

Are you trying to tell me Bob Holness didn’t play saxophone on Baker Street? Next you’ll be claiming John Peel didn’t play mandolin on Maggie May.

Sadly not, nor did Manson audition for the Monkees, Marianne Faithful get involved with The Rolling Stones and a chocolate bar, or Marc Almond (or other celebs over the years) have to be pumped clear of ‘stuff’.

If it’s any consolation, Jocky Wilson did feature as a back-drop to the Dexys on TOTP, but it wasn’t a cock-up, it was an affectionate and deliberate joke reference by Rowlands

Up the U's

It takes one to know one? on 10:02 - Apr 8 with 1494 viewsTheOldOakTree

It takes one to know one? on 01:40 - Apr 8 by wessex_exile

Sadly not, nor did Manson audition for the Monkees, Marianne Faithful get involved with The Rolling Stones and a chocolate bar, or Marc Almond (or other celebs over the years) have to be pumped clear of ‘stuff’.

If it’s any consolation, Jocky Wilson did feature as a back-drop to the Dexys on TOTP, but it wasn’t a cock-up, it was an affectionate and deliberate joke reference by Rowlands

At least the Sunday Sport story “World War 2 bomber found on the moon” turned out to be true.
It takes one to know one? on 11:56 - Apr 8 with 1477 viewsWitham

It takes one to know one? on 10:02 - Apr 8 by TheOldOakTree

At least the Sunday Sport story “World War 2 bomber found on the moon” turned out to be true.

I feel for Robbie. I have had to sack people and to tell them that they were no good for the job and they do get angry and emotional. Luckily most were senior managers and didn't get physical but one started a campaign of 2am anonymous phone calls to my colleague which required police involvement.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024