Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! 12:45 - Apr 18 with 951 viewsmfb_cufc

Brilliant from Essex, as they win from the jaws of defeat yet again.

mfb

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 13:06 - Apr 18 with 941 viewsgerry_us

Certainly a great win. However, having watched Essex over the past season I always had a sneaky suspicion that if we were able to set 100+ as a target, Simon Harmer would pull us through.
Another good season coming up. Someone soon is also going to suffer a Cookie run fest..
THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 15:19 - Apr 18 with 918 viewsmfb_cufc

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 13:06 - Apr 18 by gerry_us

Certainly a great win. However, having watched Essex over the past season I always had a sneaky suspicion that if we were able to set 100+ as a target, Simon Harmer would pull us through.
Another good season coming up. Someone soon is also going to suffer a Cookie run fest..

Cookie will need to improve on what he has done so far this season. Browne needs dropping, and put Walter back opening again. Bit concerned about the batting, especially if Lawrence is selected for England. At least Siddle is due back soon, possibly next week, to make the bowling even stronger.

mfb

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 16:49 - Apr 18 with 907 viewsnoah4x4

We must praise a fine debut 50+ from (former) Colchester's Ben Allison, else Harmer would have insufficient to bowl with. I switched on the live stream with Durham nine down having earlier assumed that a Durham victory would be a formality.

However, in response to some comments above about fragility of batting (which I don't agree with, Essex simply had a bad day), Essex now have some very promising youth coming through. In the Second IX versus Durham II's last week, in the Essex First Innings of 391/9 declared (in reply to the visitors 325); twenty year old Josh Rymell was unlucky that bad light interrupted his innings on 91 as next day he faced very different conditions (the players came off for snow at one stage) and unfortunately didn't make his ton.

Robin Das (age 19) had supported him with a fine 61, and Aron Nijjar added 55. Colchester Opener Joe MacGregor batting at 9 (as he joined the party after Feroze Khushi was elevated to the First XI Squad), got a fine 46 . Michael Pepper (36) and Khushi (30) also made good contributions.

Here, I should perhaps explain that in the County Second XI Competition, replacements are possible where players go up to the First XI, provided that only 11 bat. From what I have seen, we have plenty in the reserve tank to back up the regular First XI Squad.
THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 18:05 - Apr 18 with 898 viewsmfb_cufc

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 16:49 - Apr 18 by noah4x4

We must praise a fine debut 50+ from (former) Colchester's Ben Allison, else Harmer would have insufficient to bowl with. I switched on the live stream with Durham nine down having earlier assumed that a Durham victory would be a formality.

However, in response to some comments above about fragility of batting (which I don't agree with, Essex simply had a bad day), Essex now have some very promising youth coming through. In the Second IX versus Durham II's last week, in the Essex First Innings of 391/9 declared (in reply to the visitors 325); twenty year old Josh Rymell was unlucky that bad light interrupted his innings on 91 as next day he faced very different conditions (the players came off for snow at one stage) and unfortunately didn't make his ton.

Robin Das (age 19) had supported him with a fine 61, and Aron Nijjar added 55. Colchester Opener Joe MacGregor batting at 9 (as he joined the party after Feroze Khushi was elevated to the First XI Squad), got a fine 46 . Michael Pepper (36) and Khushi (30) also made good contributions.

Here, I should perhaps explain that in the County Second XI Competition, replacements are possible where players go up to the First XI, provided that only 11 bat. From what I have seen, we have plenty in the reserve tank to back up the regular First XI Squad.

I said I was a bit concerned about theire batting, especially if they lose Lawrence to England. That didn't refer to the first innings against Durham, even though that was poor. They rely a lot on Sir Alistair, and he has been out sorts so far. Westley got that double century on a flat pitch, but he has got to prove it was not a one off, after his poor form last season. Tendo is past his best. Walter did an okay job opening last season, but he only got his first Championship 50 in the game against Durham. This is why I have got concerns. They win games because they have got the best bowling attack in the Championship, especially having the best spinner.

People making runs in the Second XI doesn't mean a lot until they do it at First XI level. Rishi Patel scored five centuries for the Second XI in 2018, and another three in 2019, but struggled when given a chance in the First XI. He has now signed for Leicestershire, and I noticed he hasn't played for them this season so far. I hope they have got some good youngsters coming through, because they are going to need them when Sir Alistair and Tendo both retire, and that could be as soon as the end of this season.

mfb

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 18:46 - Apr 18 with 889 viewsburnsieespana

Bowling is Essex's strong point as have players for all conditions
Agree batting bit suspect but good to see good contributions from the middle to lower order.
Walter seemed to come into the side originally as a s find change medium pacer but now more of a batsman in the middle order where they need somebody to replace Tendo who must be close to his last season
After I think 12 games without a defeat in Championship cricket confidence is high and they never seem to have a doubt they will claw a game back although must admit had my doubts after the two first innings in this game.
Am I correct in thinking the two two teams go through to the late summer playoffs for the title?
THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 19:51 - Apr 18 with 880 viewsmfb_cufc

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 18:46 - Apr 18 by burnsieespana

Bowling is Essex's strong point as have players for all conditions
Agree batting bit suspect but good to see good contributions from the middle to lower order.
Walter seemed to come into the side originally as a s find change medium pacer but now more of a batsman in the middle order where they need somebody to replace Tendo who must be close to his last season
After I think 12 games without a defeat in Championship cricket confidence is high and they never seem to have a doubt they will claw a game back although must admit had my doubts after the two first innings in this game.
Am I correct in thinking the two two teams go through to the late summer playoffs for the title?

The top two teams from each group go through to form another group. They all play each other once, and the top team become Champions. The top two teams then play a five day final at Lords, and the winner will get the Bob Willis Trophy.

The third and fourth teams from each group form another group, and the fifth and sixth teams form another group. I think they all play each other once as well, and there is prize money for all teams, except for the four teams that finish bottom of the bottom group. That is as much as I can remember. There are more details that Noah might be able to explain.

mfb

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 17:26 - Apr 22 with 784 viewsgerry_us

Can anyone remember when Alistair Cook scored at a run a ball and hit a six in the same innings? Is this a new philosophy after a pretty poor start to the season?
THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 20:29 - Apr 22 with 760 viewsLeadbelly

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 17:26 - Apr 22 by gerry_us

Can anyone remember when Alistair Cook scored at a run a ball and hit a six in the same innings? Is this a new philosophy after a pretty poor start to the season?

No. I had to read the scorecard twice at lunchtime!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Login to get fewer ads

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 21:20 - Apr 22 with 754 viewsburnsieespana

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 17:26 - Apr 22 by gerry_us

His S/R in one day cricket for England is pretty good and seem to recall him hitting the odd six.
Not sure he has scored many in the longer game either for Essex or England
[Post edited 23 Apr 2021 12:09]
THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 06:03 - Apr 23 with 742 viewsnoah4x4

I say again, we have plenty of batting in reserve too.....

In the second XI competition this week Essexs II's thrashed Surrey by an innings and 150 runs. Openers Chopra and Buttleman each made hundreds whilst Rymell, Beard and Pepper made 50's in a total of 581. But before anybody again says that Second XI bowling isn't much cop, please read the full scorecard. Liam Plunkett, Will Jacks and Daniel Moriaty all bowled extensively for Surrey with limited reward. By contrast, Beard, Quinn and Snater demolished the Surrey batting with a decent contribution from Chelmsford spinner James Clifford who was standing in for the injured Aron Nijjar. We perhaps don't have much spin bowling back up to Harmer, but I think Champions require depth of squad, and we have that as regards batting and seam bowling.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2021 6:06]
THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 12:11 - Apr 23 with 709 viewsburnsieespana

Noah be interested to know which is the best keeper, Buttleman or Pepper in your opinion?
THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 17:32 - Apr 23 with 692 viewsnoah4x4

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 12:11 - Apr 23 by burnsieespana

Noah be interested to know which is the best keeper, Buttleman or Pepper in your opinion?

Really tough one to call. Each are keeping in a single innings in the recent four day Second XI games, so both are getting an opportunity. Both are very competent keepers. Both are scoring a prolific number of runs

Another factor, against both Durham IIs and Surrey IIs, Aron Nijjar was injured. This meant we bowled largely seam. So not seen too much of them standing up at this level. I scored only First XI fixtures last season, so it is around two years since I last saw them regularly. Sorry if that is a cop out, but glad I am not a selector. We have a wealth of talent.
THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 18:32 - Apr 25 with 660 viewsgerry_us

Essex lose their first four day match today at Edgbaston since May 2019. Would that the U's could ever have a record like that!
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:15 - Apr 25 with 659 viewsgerry_us

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:22 - Apr 25 with 659 viewsgerry_us

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 20:51 - Apr 25 with 649 viewsmfb_cufc

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 18:32 - Apr 25 by gerry_us

Essex lose their first four day match today at Edgbaston since May 2019. Would that the U's could ever have a record like that!

The bowlers didn't get the batsman out of jail for once.

What an embarrassment the so called batsman were in that second innings. 36 for 5 on a good pitch for batting, none of them out to good balls. Even when they improved mattters Lawrence shot himself in the foot again by getting run out. Chance to redeem themselves next game on a good batting pitch at Worcester.

mfb

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 17:36 - Apr 29 with 594 viewsgerry_us

Alistair Cook is back. First ton of the season. Hopefully many more to come
THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 21:17 - Apr 29 with 572 viewsmfb_cufc

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 17:36 - Apr 29 by gerry_us

Alistair Cook is back. First ton of the season. Hopefully many more to come

He looked good for a few more until he was unlucky to get out, but this pitch is so good for batting, they are going to struggle to get 20 wickets.

mfb

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 19:10 - May 2 with 506 viewsburnsieespana

Doesn't sadly look like they will be champions this season.
THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 20:00 - May 2 with 500 viewsmfb_cufc

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 19:10 - May 2 by burnsieespana

Keep the faith, they still have three games to play at Chelmsford, where there should be result pitches. Losing the previous game against Warwickshire is the only thing they have done wrong so far. No chance of a result in the two games against Worcestershire.

mfb

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 19:12 - May 6 with 467 viewsmfb_cufc

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 19:10 - May 2 by burnsieespana

I think you are right, after another disasterous day today.

mfb

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 19:20 - May 6 with 461 viewsgerry_us

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 19:12 - May 6 by mfb_cufc

I think you are right, after another disasterous day today.

Always a bad toss to lose at Trent Bridge. The pitches are always regarded as very green and a story I remember some while ago that in a radio commentary Brian Johnson noted that " Notts have won the toss and will break off"
THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS! on 20:43 - May 29 with 380 viewsmfb_cufc

They beat Durham, in another game where they showed why they are Champions. In a tight spot a few times, but they find a way to win again. It was a game where there was 19 LBW dismissals, a new County Championship record for one game, and one short of a World record. As noah said there are some promising youngsters coming through, and Pepper made sure Lawrence wasn't missed. Every chance of finishing in the top two in the group now.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024