Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS 13:33 - Apr 19 with 3973 viewsdurham_exile

The outpouring of emotion on Saturday night was tangible and full of considerable relief. A vital victory well deserved and so important to our ability to avoid relegation against a Walsall team who are themselves safe from the drop.

HM and PT fashioned a win which was essential to give a vital boost. It will of course count for nothing if we fail to beat our Essex fiends from Southend on Tuesday night. Phil “Orange” Brown has already ratcheted up the pressure by calling the game their most important game in their 115-year history. Of course, this is nonsense, it is only one game and only worth three points, but the difference in victory over unthinkable defeat is crucial for both teams.

A win for Colchester will put a nine-point difference between the two teams (goal difference included makes it ten) and essentially relegate Southend. Any other result is frankly unthinkable.

Despite their victory over Bolton — Grimsby have the most difficult remaining fixtures with Morecambe, Exeter and Cambridge all vying for promotion.

Southend and Grimsby remain favourites to leave the Football League.

Table:

Colchester 42 -19 44
Southend 42 -29 38
Grimsby 41 -27 37

Remaining fixtures:

Colchester:
Southend H (Relegation favourites)
Cheltenham A (Challenging for Automatic Promotion)
Salford H (Challenging for Play Offs)
Tranmere A (Challenging for Play Offs, possible Automatic Promotion)

Southend:
Colchester A (Favourites to avoid Relegation)
Orient H (Flirting with Play Offs)
Barrow A (Almost safe from Relegation)
Newport H (Challenging for Play Offs, possible Automatic Promotion)

Grimsby:
Morecambe H (Challenging for Automatic Promotion)
Oldham A (Safe from Relegation)
Exeter A (Challenging for Play Offs)
PV H (Safe from Relegation — midtable mediocrity)
Cambridge A (Challenging for Automatic Promotion - Possible Champions)

I do agree that it is the most important game ever played between the two teams (Southend have 33 wins, to our 27 with 17 draws) but there is obvious danger in applying so much pressure that the game becomes a negative, dangerous, and potentially explosive affair with at least one red card being issued to an errant player.

Nerves will play a big part at least early on, the psychological aspect that defeat is unthinkable will perhaps spoil the game as a spectacle. However as far as we are concerned it is all about getting three points to effectively condemn Southend to relegation.

It should be remembered notwithstanding our 6-1 victory earlier in the season we have not defeated Southend in the league since 2010. However, that matters not when we take to the field on Tuesday evening. It is all about the 90 minutes in this game.

So, what about our line-up:

An injury to influential player Callum “Ainsley” Harriott could rule him out in which case a replacement is required. I would bring in Ben Stevenson and that would free Wiredu up to make forays further forward.

George

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Clampin

Chilvers Pell Sarpong-Wiredu Stevenson

Nouble Folivi

Subs:

Lapslie Senior Brown Doherty Gerken Cowan-Hall Sowunmi

Phil Brown has White and Halford at his disposal to add some spice to proceedings.
They earned a valuable point at Exeter with following line-up.

Oxley
Bwomono White Hobson Hart
Demetriou Ferguson
Walsh Holmes Hackett-Fairchild
Akinola

Halford was an unused substitute. Demetriou is an excitable player and one who, if there is a red card flourished, could well take the early bath.

Make no mistake a victory for the Super U’s is long overdue against Southend and I believe that we can prevail with a handsome 3-0 win.

The weather tomorrow in Colchester is going to be dry and bright with some cloud and 11 degrees C at kick off.

Forget about the poor performance at Roots Hall at Christmas time. Take the game to Southend, get at them early doors, and do not get involved in the niggly and subversive tactics from their players. We all know what is at stake and we understand the importance of three points. Only one team in Essex.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 09:07 - Apr 22 with 786 viewsbwildered

Interesting post match comments by Phil Brown, stating that the U’s surprised them by not playing from the back, being one of the dangers of changing manager with games running out.
Wayne Brown changed the style when becoming the interim from Steven Ball, so not a sudden change for the Essex derby. Let’s not forget this game was played between the 91st - 90th position teams at the time, whilst sad to see Halford & White on the pitch for the opposition, not one of the away side would have got in a combined Xl.
So, back to the future, still three to play and a strong finish is still required against clubs at the top end of the table, and should go along away in the Chairman’s thinking of the managership and not just the to home bankers just played.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 13:08 - Apr 22 with 731 viewsburnsieespana

Yes was also surprised by Phil Brown's comment as you would have thought they would have had us either watched on Saturday or at the very least studied the film footage.
Personally I hope our more direct style stays next year as appears to suit a number of our defenders assuming they stay with us.
I wonder what the future holds for John White at Southend as similar to Halford sure in January he only signed until season end.
Halford will go without doubt as apart from the goal he scored in one of his early games he looks like his legs have gone so equally wonder what his future holds. He has always seemed an intelligent footballer to me so wonder if he has started his coaching badges with the aim to get into Management?
Equally I wonder what the future holds for many in our squad with so many out of contract at season end.
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 14:12 - Apr 22 with 723 viewsLeadbelly

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 13:08 - Apr 22 by burnsieespana

Yes was also surprised by Phil Brown's comment as you would have thought they would have had us either watched on Saturday or at the very least studied the film footage.
Personally I hope our more direct style stays next year as appears to suit a number of our defenders assuming they stay with us.
I wonder what the future holds for John White at Southend as similar to Halford sure in January he only signed until season end.
Halford will go without doubt as apart from the goal he scored in one of his early games he looks like his legs have gone so equally wonder what his future holds. He has always seemed an intelligent footballer to me so wonder if he has started his coaching badges with the aim to get into Management?
Equally I wonder what the future holds for many in our squad with so many out of contract at season end.

BBC Essex interview with Brown after the game amused me enormously. Not only did he admit being surprised by how we played, proving he hadn't been doing his job properly, but he also claimed there were some positives from the Southend performance and they still had a chance of avoiding relegation...all said in such a despondent tone that he clearly didn't believe a word he was saying.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:42 - Apr 22 with 715 viewsFruitbat

His latest today is that he was "upset" that our players celebrated like they'd won the league. On the contrary, they celebrated like they'd just won a very important derby game, virtually confirmed staying up whilst very likely relegating our rivals. Seems reasonable to me and exactly what you would expect Southend to do it the show was on the other foot.

Fair to say it's a view that doesn't appear to have gone down particularly well in the South of the county, they're rather more upset about how rubbish they were.
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:40 - Apr 22 with 708 viewsLeadbelly

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:42 - Apr 22 by Fruitbat

His latest today is that he was "upset" that our players celebrated like they'd won the league. On the contrary, they celebrated like they'd just won a very important derby game, virtually confirmed staying up whilst very likely relegating our rivals. Seems reasonable to me and exactly what you would expect Southend to do it the show was on the other foot.

Fair to say it's a view that doesn't appear to have gone down particularly well in the South of the county, they're rather more upset about how rubbish they were.

I would have thought Brown had more important things to concern him at the moment than being "upset" about how our players celebrated on Tuesday night. Perhaps viewing some footage of recent Orient games so he doesn't suffer two nasty surprises in the same week would be a better use of his time.

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:54 - Apr 22 with 707 viewsthrillseeker

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:42 - Apr 22 by Fruitbat

I couldn't care less what Phil Brown thinks

I am still awaiting the FA video evidence as to whether John White did a number off the ball on Harry Pell
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:27 - Apr 22 with 700 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:54 - Apr 22 by thrillseeker

I couldn't care less what Phil Brown thinks

I am still awaiting the FA video evidence as to whether John White did a number off the ball on Harry Pell

Brown has always been a clown.

People have short memories and Southend celebrated after Boxing Day.

Good riddance to them in the National League.

It's all about the Col U and I agree we want to finish strongly. It should have been Colchester vying for promotion rather than struggling at the bottom of the league.

Victory at Cheltenham would be not unexpected.

But I would love to be allowed to watch the U's at Tranmere last game of the season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:35 - Apr 22 with 695 viewsMoor_Pinot

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:27 - Apr 22 by durham_exile

Brown has always been a clown.

People have short memories and Southend celebrated after Boxing Day.

Good riddance to them in the National League.

It's all about the Col U and I agree we want to finish strongly. It should have been Colchester vying for promotion rather than struggling at the bottom of the league.

Victory at Cheltenham would be not unexpected.

But I would love to be allowed to watch the U's at Tranmere last game of the season.

Up the U's

Post Tuesday I'm more relaxed and feel we could be OK. I actually expected us to lose on Tuesday but to get something at Cheltenham, now I just feel the extra confidence gained could garner three more points someplace before seasons end.
I don't actually think we were very good on Tuesday so my feet are grounded. I am more concerned at what plans accrue over the close season to ensure there's no repeat of the extraordinary decomposure post Marine/Exeter.
Stay up the U's!

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:53 - Apr 22 with 692 viewswessex_exile

Some of my greatest experiences celebrating like a basket-case following the U's have been avoiding relegation - Carlisle was mental, never mind Preston North End.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:15 - Apr 22 with 685 viewswessex_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:53 - Apr 22 by wessex_exile

Some of my greatest experiences celebrating like a basket-case following the U's have been avoiding relegation - Carlisle was mental, never mind Preston North End.

...and as others have already said - quite what was he expecting a team to do when they win the game to avoid relegation, at the same time condemning their fiercest rivals to that fate?

Consoling hugs all round?

Up the U's

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 20:28 - Apr 22 with 642 viewsLeadbelly

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:53 - Apr 22 by wessex_exile

Avoiding relegation, being relegated, being at Wembley and Cardiff to watch Leeds lose playoff finals are just as much a part of being a supporter as wins over rivals or promotion at the end of a great season, be that via the playoffs or getting a draw at Yeovil...and exactly what the greedy b@5tards who dreamt up the ESL care nothing for.

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 10:45 - Apr 23 with 599 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Were you part of the pitch invasion in 1989 when we beat Exeter 4-0 to stay in the football league? Won our last five matches, unbeaten in our last eight . Incredible turnaround. I think that the elation of avoiding relegation is somehow greater than that of gaining promotion. I wasn't at the Preston game and I purposely avoided all the scores until the games were finished but I went crazy when I knew we'd stayed up. Watching the Preston game back the joy on the faces of both the players and the supporters is plain to see. At least it makes the season interesting I guess. That's our fourth battle with relegation since we've been at the new stadium, currently winning 3-1, hopefully we won't be having another one any time soon. You could argue that we've had four seasons where we've been in contention for the play offs so out of 13 seasons at the JCS we've had something to play for at the business end of the season eight times.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 19:13 - Apr 23 with 557 viewsbwildered

Not sure about the pitch invasion against Exeter, but the U’s played well on a barmy night with a early goal settling the U’s down.
Contrast that just a year later, with a Mothering Sunday fixture at the Shabby. Already condemned to the Conference, due to results the day before, U’s given the run around by Michael Cheetham , and heavy defeat and finished with ten men. Cannot get much lower than that unpleasant experience !!!

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 19:21 - Apr 23 with 554 viewswessex_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 10:45 - Apr 23 by RSCOSWORTH

Were you part of the pitch invasion in 1989 when we beat Exeter 4-0 to stay in the football league? Won our last five matches, unbeaten in our last eight . Incredible turnaround. I think that the elation of avoiding relegation is somehow greater than that of gaining promotion. I wasn't at the Preston game and I purposely avoided all the scores until the games were finished but I went crazy when I knew we'd stayed up. Watching the Preston game back the joy on the faces of both the players and the supporters is plain to see. At least it makes the season interesting I guess. That's our fourth battle with relegation since we've been at the new stadium, currently winning 3-1, hopefully we won't be having another one any time soon. You could argue that we've had four seasons where we've been in contention for the play offs so out of 13 seasons at the JCS we've had something to play for at the business end of the season eight times.

No, wasn't at that one. Good point about the U's rollercoaster in recent years, not often dull is it

Up the U's

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 00:04 - Apr 24 with 542 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 19:21 - Apr 23 by wessex_exile

No, wasn't at that one. Good point about the U's rollercoaster in recent years, not often dull is it

We must get back to League One. Enough of this League Two dross and flirting with Relegation.

Michael Folivi is developing a good understanmding with Big Frank. Can we resign him?

If Brown stays and can regain his form then we have the makings of a forward line.

Ainsley has been a revelation of course.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024