Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS 13:33 - Apr 19 with 3965 viewsdurham_exile

The outpouring of emotion on Saturday night was tangible and full of considerable relief. A vital victory well deserved and so important to our ability to avoid relegation against a Walsall team who are themselves safe from the drop.

HM and PT fashioned a win which was essential to give a vital boost. It will of course count for nothing if we fail to beat our Essex fiends from Southend on Tuesday night. Phil “Orange” Brown has already ratcheted up the pressure by calling the game their most important game in their 115-year history. Of course, this is nonsense, it is only one game and only worth three points, but the difference in victory over unthinkable defeat is crucial for both teams.

A win for Colchester will put a nine-point difference between the two teams (goal difference included makes it ten) and essentially relegate Southend. Any other result is frankly unthinkable.

Despite their victory over Bolton — Grimsby have the most difficult remaining fixtures with Morecambe, Exeter and Cambridge all vying for promotion.

Southend and Grimsby remain favourites to leave the Football League.

Table:

Colchester 42 -19 44
Southend 42 -29 38
Grimsby 41 -27 37

Remaining fixtures:

Colchester:
Southend H (Relegation favourites)
Cheltenham A (Challenging for Automatic Promotion)
Salford H (Challenging for Play Offs)
Tranmere A (Challenging for Play Offs, possible Automatic Promotion)

Southend:
Colchester A (Favourites to avoid Relegation)
Orient H (Flirting with Play Offs)
Barrow A (Almost safe from Relegation)
Newport H (Challenging for Play Offs, possible Automatic Promotion)

Grimsby:
Morecambe H (Challenging for Automatic Promotion)
Oldham A (Safe from Relegation)
Exeter A (Challenging for Play Offs)
PV H (Safe from Relegation — midtable mediocrity)
Cambridge A (Challenging for Automatic Promotion - Possible Champions)

I do agree that it is the most important game ever played between the two teams (Southend have 33 wins, to our 27 with 17 draws) but there is obvious danger in applying so much pressure that the game becomes a negative, dangerous, and potentially explosive affair with at least one red card being issued to an errant player.

Nerves will play a big part at least early on, the psychological aspect that defeat is unthinkable will perhaps spoil the game as a spectacle. However as far as we are concerned it is all about getting three points to effectively condemn Southend to relegation.

It should be remembered notwithstanding our 6-1 victory earlier in the season we have not defeated Southend in the league since 2010. However, that matters not when we take to the field on Tuesday evening. It is all about the 90 minutes in this game.

So, what about our line-up:

An injury to influential player Callum “Ainsley” Harriott could rule him out in which case a replacement is required. I would bring in Ben Stevenson and that would free Wiredu up to make forays further forward.

George

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Clampin

Chilvers Pell Sarpong-Wiredu Stevenson

Nouble Folivi

Subs:

Lapslie Senior Brown Doherty Gerken Cowan-Hall Sowunmi

Phil Brown has White and Halford at his disposal to add some spice to proceedings.
They earned a valuable point at Exeter with following line-up.

Oxley
Bwomono White Hobson Hart
Demetriou Ferguson
Walsh Holmes Hackett-Fairchild
Akinola

Halford was an unused substitute. Demetriou is an excitable player and one who, if there is a red card flourished, could well take the early bath.

Make no mistake a victory for the Super U’s is long overdue against Southend and I believe that we can prevail with a handsome 3-0 win.

The weather tomorrow in Colchester is going to be dry and bright with some cloud and 11 degrees C at kick off.

Forget about the poor performance at Roots Hall at Christmas time. Take the game to Southend, get at them early doors, and do not get involved in the niggly and subversive tactics from their players. We all know what is at stake and we understand the importance of three points. Only one team in Essex.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 14:32 - Apr 19 with 2126 viewsburnsieespana

Don't disagree with your team Durham as playing the same again should aid our shape
We must avoid getting anybody sent off.
In my mind not getting beaten is more important so a draw will be good enough in my book. Going therefore for a 0-0 result.
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:00 - Apr 19 with 2092 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 14:32 - Apr 19 by burnsieespana

Don't disagree with your team Durham as playing the same again should aid our shape
We must avoid getting anybody sent off.
In my mind not getting beaten is more important so a draw will be good enough in my book. Going therefore for a 0-0 result.

burnsie, I am not putting the cart before the horse or counting my chickens etc but I do feel far more confident about tomorrow after victory against Walsall. I take your point about not losing, but a win gains an element of revenge for Boxing Day and more importantly condemns our neighbours.

A victory is the only game in town.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:16 - Apr 19 with 2088 viewspwrightsknees

Burnsie, a 0-0 result would be handy, but I hope we don't approach the match with a mindset of playing for a 0-0. That can be very dangerous. One mistake, one bad ref's decision can cost dearly.

So, let's go for a win and settle for a draw if it comes to that.

Up the surviving U's
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:48 - Apr 19 with 2082 viewswessex_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:00 - Apr 19 by durham_exile

burnsie, I am not putting the cart before the horse or counting my chickens etc but I do feel far more confident about tomorrow after victory against Walsall. I take your point about not losing, but a win gains an element of revenge for Boxing Day and more importantly condemns our neighbours.

A victory is the only game in town.

Up the U's

It wasn't just the victory either, it was the manner of the victory which really has boosted my confidence - for once we looked like the team I know we can be again. It should be nothing less than a regulation win against poor opposition tomorrow, and if that all but relegates Southend (their significantly inferior goal difference aside) than so be it.

However, as you say PWK one bad referee decision or terrible bad luck can undo the best of plans. As I've mentioned previously, at the very least let's make sure we come out of tomorrow evening without conceding any ground to Grimsby and Southend, and with everyone one less game to play - tick tock...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:23 - Apr 19 with 2067 viewsTheHappyGooner

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:48 - Apr 19 by wessex_exile

It wasn't just the victory either, it was the manner of the victory which really has boosted my confidence - for once we looked like the team I know we can be again. It should be nothing less than a regulation win against poor opposition tomorrow, and if that all but relegates Southend (their significantly inferior goal difference aside) than so be it.

However, as you say PWK one bad referee decision or terrible bad luck can undo the best of plans. As I've mentioned previously, at the very least let's make sure we come out of tomorrow evening without conceding any ground to Grimsby and Southend, and with everyone one less game to play - tick tock...

This game will pan out as follows

Colchester will have an early chance and hit the woodwork

Then it will be all Southend possession and pressing with no real threat

HT 0-0

Second half will be more 50/50 and franky a dour affair of thrust and counter thrust. Bodies will simply be getting in the way of everything.

Then in the 89th minute from a corner Southend Will have a goal bound effort cleared off the line.

Game finishes 0-0

Col U almost home and dry ..
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 21:43]

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:59 - Apr 19 with 2050 viewsburnsieespana

Being positive we have scored two goals in each of our last two games and Saturday with 18 shots on goal we could have had more so just maybe we are due a hatful of goals but to me it is far more important not to be beaten as am optimistic we will beat Salford and even get a draw at Cheltenham!
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 08:56 - Apr 20 with 1982 viewsbwildered

After tonight one United will be 1 - 86 next season , the other in the Super League of non league football.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 10:38 - Apr 20 with 1961 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Anyone else feeling nervous already?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 12:20 - Apr 20 with 1952 viewsburnsieespana

Yes defo feeling apprehensive! Whilst if we loose we are still in control of our destiny but our last three games are far from easy.
Will be going into lockdown for the two hours of the match tonight!
Come on you Blues let us have a good result tonight!
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 12:27 - Apr 20 with 1950 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 12:20 - Apr 20 by burnsieespana

Yes defo feeling apprehensive! Whilst if we loose we are still in control of our destiny but our last three games are far from easy.
Will be going into lockdown for the two hours of the match tonight!
Come on you Blues let us have a good result tonight!

Suprisingly confident about a positive result tonight.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 12:55 - Apr 20 with 1935 viewsgerry_us

Win tonight and RC will look for the U's to join the Super League.
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 12:57 - Apr 20 with 1934 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 12:55 - Apr 20 by gerry_us

And HM will be canonised.

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 13:25 - Apr 20 with 1926 viewsthrillseeker

I'm distraught as got called into work and won't be home until 19:30ish

Does anyone know if I can watch match from KO on ifollow or do I have to join at the stage of match I log in?
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 14:34 - Apr 20 with 1900 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 13:25 - Apr 20 by thrillseeker

Does anyone know if I can watch match from KO on ifollow or do I have to join at the stage of match I log in?

TS if you purchase the game (or have a code) then you can join at any stage. I normally log in about 1 hour before kick off and watch the grass grow. Seriously you can watch the players warming up just as you would if you were actually in the ground.

Dont forget it is a 7pm kick off. So you would probably miss the first half.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:17 - Apr 20 with 1889 viewsgerry_us

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 13:25 - Apr 20 by thrillseeker

Don't your employers have any feelings at all?
Tell 'em to get stu.....
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:45 - Apr 20 with 1880 viewsgerry_us

[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 17:45]
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:30 - Apr 20 with 1866 viewsmfb_cufc

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 12:55 - Apr 20 by gerry_us

If a crap team like Spurs can get in it, why not.

mfb

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:06 - Apr 20 with 1837 viewsmfb_cufc

Same team that started against Walsall. Harriott fit to start.

U's side to face Southend: George, Welch-Hayes, Eastman, Smith, Clampin, Chilvers, Pell, Wiredu, Harriott, Nouble, Folivi

U's subs v Southend: Sowunmi, Stevenson, Lapslie, Senior, Oteh, Brown, Gerken
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 18:08]

mfb

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:07 - Apr 20 with 1834 viewsgerry_us

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:06 - Apr 20 by mfb_cufc

U's side to face Southend: George, Welch-Hayes, Eastman, Smith, Clampin, Chilvers, Pell, Wiredu, Harriott, Nouble, Folivi

Same result will do as well.
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:10 - Apr 20 with 1829 viewswessex_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:06 - Apr 20 by mfb_cufc

Great news about Harriott, I was worried he was crocked for sure after that disgraceful 'challenge' (aka assault).

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:44 - Apr 20 with 1810 viewsgerry_us

[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 18:50]
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:58 - Apr 20 with 1795 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:10 - Apr 20 by wessex_exile

Great news about Harriott, I was worried he was crocked for sure after that disgraceful 'challenge' (aka assault).

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Up the U's

The Bard

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 19:31 - Apr 20 with 1773 viewsmfb_cufc

Grimsby losing 2-0.

mfb

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 19:32 - Apr 20 with 1772 viewsblueeagle

1-0 Yesssss
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 19:42 - Apr 20 with 1750 viewsmfb_cufc

Pell. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024