Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin to Norwich City ? 12:00 - Nov 8 with 3245 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/56220/russell-martin-to-

Russell on his way to where ? Click above.
Twitter below.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 13:24 - Nov 8 with 1847 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Why would a Premier Team want a Manager that hasn't actually achieved anything in either the league 1 or the championship?
Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 13:29 - Nov 8 with 1813 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 13:24 - Nov 8 by A_Fans_Dad

Why would a Premier Team want a Manager that hasn't actually achieved anything in either the league 1 or the championship?

Because he has a long term plan .
Norwich too work in progress.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 13:45 - Nov 8 with 1800 viewsKeithHaynes

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 13:24 - Nov 8 by A_Fans_Dad

Because he wouldn’t go.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 14:02 - Nov 8 with 1773 viewsCatullus

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 13:45 - Nov 8 by KeithHaynes

Because he wouldn’t go.

Sorry but that's a naive outlook. If Norwich come knocking he might go. We thought Martinez wouldn't leave us for Wigan, we thought Potter wanted to see his project through.

Martin left MK quick enough, he'll probably leave us too, for Norwich in the EPL, if they ask him.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 14:08 - Nov 8 with 1764 viewsKeithHaynes

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 14:02 - Nov 8 by Catullus

Sorry but that's a naive outlook. If Norwich come knocking he might go. We thought Martinez wouldn't leave us for Wigan, we thought Potter wanted to see his project through.

Martin left MK quick enough, he'll probably leave us too, for Norwich in the EPL, if they ask him.

I agree with Corny, the article covered that perfectly. My assessment is the same as his, for all the reasons he gave, plus for me theres (😂) a few more. That’s why he wouldn’t go.

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 14:10 - Nov 8 with 1755 viewsReslovenSwan1

Martin has brought his baggage with him. The sofa of philosophy the Welsh dresser of possession the oak kitchen table of versatility, the rental contract of pace on the break. He is invested in Swansea city.

This is not the end game. It is boom or bust. Champions league and £8m salary or the sack. It is an ambitious strategy.

Swansea have always been possession based team but lost its way over the last 5 or 6 years. Rodon can play out from the back but Brandon Cooper and Cabango are perhaps unsuited to this. If they cannot adapt they must go. There is no halfway house.

Up and coming players like Scott Butler, Erkisen , Jacob Jones, Ludwigsen Rushesha etc know where they need to be. Nice to hear O'Leary spreading the gospel. I expect Acadmey results to improve as the season progresses.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 14:45 - Nov 8 with 1716 viewsReslovenSwan1

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 14:02 - Nov 8 by Catullus

Martinez stayed two years and four months at Swansea a good stretch. He stayed four seasons and Wigan turning down Aston Villa, He started looking around only when Liverpool came calling which is understandable. he did not even have to move house.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 15:04 - Nov 8 with 1689 viewsvetchonian

I think any talk of Martin being Farkes replacement is very much just that.

HE has failed to prove himself yet at achieving anything apart from getting his teams to the top pf the possesion stats table.

A 13th place finish with MK Dons and mid table here...

Im not sure that the Norwich board will go out of their way to recruit a rookie despite him being one of their own

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 15:19 - Nov 8 with 1664 viewsbuilthjack

He has moved out to 6th favourite

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 15:20 - Nov 8 with 1666 viewsChief

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 14:10 - Nov 8 by ReslovenSwan1

Martin has brought his baggage with him. The sofa of philosophy the Welsh dresser of possession the oak kitchen table of versatility, the rental contract of pace on the break. He is invested in Swansea city.

This is not the end game. It is boom or bust. Champions league and £8m salary or the sack. It is an ambitious strategy.

Swansea have always been possession based team but lost its way over the last 5 or 6 years. Rodon can play out from the back but Brandon Cooper and Cabango are perhaps unsuited to this. If they cannot adapt they must go. There is no halfway house.

Up and coming players like Scott Butler, Erkisen , Jacob Jones, Ludwigsen Rushesha etc know where they need to be. Nice to hear O'Leary spreading the gospel. I expect Acadmey results to improve as the season progresses.

What are you basing the first paragraph on? Or just making it up?

What in Earth is your second paragraph referring to? Who's expecting to reach the champions League?

So what you are you saying? That Martin's going to stay because we have some youngsters? The best of which like Cabango he doesn't seem to rate by the way.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 15:34 - Nov 8 with 1646 viewsvetchonian

Martinez's teams were not possesion based..you seem to be confuing possesion with playing out from the back.

Roberto liked to get the ball down then move it quickly forwards. His idea was to prevent the centre backs from just clearing htheir lines but play the ball out.

MArtins philosphy is more about keeping the ball so that in effect you control the game. possession maintained by short pasiing or passing it back and fore....we have dominated possession for most of our games yet still been beaten. We enjoyed 60% possesion on Saturday but that didnt stop Bournemouth scoring 4 .....

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 16:41 - Nov 8 with 1603 viewsCatullus

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 14:45 - Nov 8 by ReslovenSwan1

Martinez stayed two years and four months at Swansea a good stretch. He stayed four seasons and Wigan turning down Aston Villa, He started looking around only when Liverpool came calling which is understandable. he did not even have to move house.

The point you so broadly missed was, some fans thought martinez was here for the long haul and wasn't leaving soon. That he'd been here X amount of tie is irrelevant to what supporters expected.

What about Potter and his "project" yet a an EPL team came calling and he was gone.

Put it another way, what do we expect any ambitious young man to do? Stay here or go to an EPL club that'll likely give him a fair chunk to spend in January?

Of course Norwich have to offer him the job first and that is why I don't think he'll be going there. Maybe they'll want somebody more proven at this stage however, if people think Martin hasn't the track record to land that job just look at Farke's record. A 4th tier team and Borussia Dortmund seconds, hardly a proven track record at the top either.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 16:56 - Nov 8 with 1589 viewsKeithHaynes

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 15:19 - Nov 8 by builthjack

He has moved out to 6th favourite

Foolish punters not taking the bait.

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 17:11 - Nov 8 with 1568 viewsCatullus

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 16:56 - Nov 8 by KeithHaynes

Foolish punters not taking the bait.

I can't even see him mentioned on the "pinkun" not even to say please NO!

It's all bookie talk and press specualtion that drives these rumours. Nobody is backing him for that job which suits me. If they don't ask, he ain't leaving.

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 17:23 - Nov 8 with 1556 viewsvetchonian

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 16:41 - Nov 8 by Catullus

The point you so broadly missed was, some fans thought martinez was here for the long haul and wasn't leaving soon. That he'd been here X amount of tie is irrelevant to what supporters expected.

What about Potter and his "project" yet a an EPL team came calling and he was gone.

Put it another way, what do we expect any ambitious young man to do? Stay here or go to an EPL club that'll likely give him a fair chunk to spend in January?

Of course Norwich have to offer him the job first and that is why I don't think he'll be going there. Maybe they'll want somebody more proven at this stage however, if people think Martin hasn't the track record to land that job just look at Farke's record. A 4th tier team and Borussia Dortmund seconds, hardly a proven track record at the top either.

Norwich were in the Championship when Farke was appointed..they are hoping for survival in the PL I would guess. I think they wouldnt have considered Farke if they had been in that postion when thy first appointed him..

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 20:34 - Nov 8 with 1469 viewshuwrichards57

He’s just moved his young family down here as well
Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 21:45 - Nov 8 with 1417 viewsmajorraglan

I’d have thought the only way Martin would get the job is if Norwich have already resigned themselves to going down, they see him as the long term future and are prepared to write off this season to give him the opportunity to gain experience and build for next year. There’s still 27 games left and 81 points up for grab, so not convinced that’s something they’ll do at this stage.
Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 21:50 - Nov 8 with 1407 viewsFireboy2

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 21:45 - Nov 8 by majorraglan

I’d have thought the only way Martin would get the job is if Norwich have already resigned themselves to going down, they see him as the long term future and are prepared to write off this season to give him the opportunity to gain experience and build for next year. There’s still 27 games left and 81 points up for grab, so not convinced that’s something they’ll do at this stage.

This ^
Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 22:35 - Nov 8 with 1385 viewsmax936

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 15:34 - Nov 8 by vetchonian

Martinez's teams were not possesion based..you seem to be confuing possesion with playing out from the back.

Roberto liked to get the ball down then move it quickly forwards. His idea was to prevent the centre backs from just clearing htheir lines but play the ball out.

MArtins philosphy is more about keeping the ball so that in effect you control the game. possession maintained by short pasiing or passing it back and fore....we have dominated possession for most of our games yet still been beaten. We enjoyed 60% possesion on Saturday but that didnt stop Bournemouth scoring 4 .....

Russell Martin isn't on your Christmas card list is he

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 23:42 - Nov 8 with 1342 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea have not always been a possession based team at all. A complete myth that keeps being represented as fact.

We have been a possession based team for a tiny fraction of our history.

I don’t buy the fact he’s too invested in us to leave. He will be gone the moment someone offers him more money at a higher level, no doubt in my mind about that.

You only have to look at how he came here. Told MK Dons fans that this is a work in progress, he was staying for a long time, trust the process and all the usual stuff - then left as soon as we came along.

He’s a football manager, presumably an ambitious one, if he gets the chance to prove himself at a higher level and he believes in himself then he will take it.

His issue is, he needs to prove himself at a lower level first before anyone would even consider taking him on at PL level. A single top half finish would be at least something, and something he hasn’t managed yet.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 01:04 - Nov 9 with 1316 viewsYouBackJastard

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 23:42 - Nov 8 by Dr_Parnassus

Swansea have not always been a possession based team at all. A complete myth that keeps being represented as fact.

We have been a possession based team for a tiny fraction of our history.

I don’t buy the fact he’s too invested in us to leave. He will be gone the moment someone offers him more money at a higher level, no doubt in my mind about that.

You only have to look at how he came here. Told MK Dons fans that this is a work in progress, he was staying for a long time, trust the process and all the usual stuff - then left as soon as we came along.

He’s a football manager, presumably an ambitious one, if he gets the chance to prove himself at a higher level and he believes in himself then he will take it.

His issue is, he needs to prove himself at a lower level first before anyone would even consider taking him on at PL level. A single top half finish would be at least something, and something he hasn’t managed yet.

"We have been a possession based team for a tiny fraction of our history."

That fraction being without question the most successful period of our history, which is why it has become a major part of our identity

'I don’t buy the fact he’s too invested in us to leave.'

He left his previous club where he was finally backed well after seasons of awful transfer budgets a few days before the season start because he believed in the project here, I think he deserves a lot more credit than he gets for the massive risk he took coming here. He had to convince his family and the huge backroom team he took down here, I heavily doubt he's not invested at this point.

He will leave at one point but it won't be for at least two years, if not more depending on circumstances.

'His issue is, he needs to prove himself at a lower level first before anyone would even consider taking him on at PL level.'

Agreed. I think the concerns from some that there's even a fraction of a chance that he's leaving for the Norwich job is hilarious
Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 02:52 - Nov 9 with 1305 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 01:04 - Nov 9 by YouBackJastard

"We have been a possession based team for a tiny fraction of our history."

That fraction being without question the most successful period of our history, which is why it has become a major part of our identity

'I don’t buy the fact he’s too invested in us to leave.'

He left his previous club where he was finally backed well after seasons of awful transfer budgets a few days before the season start because he believed in the project here, I think he deserves a lot more credit than he gets for the massive risk he took coming here. He had to convince his family and the huge backroom team he took down here, I heavily doubt he's not invested at this point.

He will leave at one point but it won't be for at least two years, if not more depending on circumstances.

'His issue is, he needs to prove himself at a lower level first before anyone would even consider taking him on at PL level.'

Agreed. I think the concerns from some that there's even a fraction of a chance that he's leaving for the Norwich job is hilarious

What has that fraction being our most successful got to do with the statement that we have been a passing side for most of our history?

We haven’t.

At MK Dons he told the fans he planned to stay for a long time, and left within 48 hours of saying so. Anyone still taking what managers say regarding their futures as gospel really need to have a word with themselves.

Moving clubs is always a risk, but part of the job. Anyone with ambition will move up the leagues when the opportunity arises, it’s not brave - it’s the way it works. Doesn’t mean you are automatically to invested to do that again, in fact history suggests that isn’t the case.

But yes, agreed. There is almost no chance that Norwich will be considering him as a serious candidate. That may well change in the future, let’s hope so. Because if that is the case then he is likely to have achieved something with us.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 04:09 - Nov 9 with 1272 viewsYouBackJastard

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 02:52 - Nov 9 by Dr_Parnassus

What has that fraction being our most successful got to do with the statement that we have been a passing side for most of our history?

We haven’t.

At MK Dons he told the fans he planned to stay for a long time, and left within 48 hours of saying so. Anyone still taking what managers say regarding their futures as gospel really need to have a word with themselves.

Moving clubs is always a risk, but part of the job. Anyone with ambition will move up the leagues when the opportunity arises, it’s not brave - it’s the way it works. Doesn’t mean you are automatically to invested to do that again, in fact history suggests that isn’t the case.

But yes, agreed. There is almost no chance that Norwich will be considering him as a serious candidate. That may well change in the future, let’s hope so. Because if that is the case then he is likely to have achieved something with us.

'What has that fraction being our most successful got to do with the statement that we have been a passing side for most of our history?'

Who is arguing this? Not me.

'But yes, agreed. There is almost no chance that Norwich will be considering him as a serious candidate. That may well change in the future, let’s hope so. Because if that is the case then he is likely to have achieved something with us.'

My moneys on us finishing above Norwich next year so they're a non factor in my mind
Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 10:25 - Nov 9 with 1198 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 22:35 - Nov 8 by max936

Russell Martin isn't on your Christmas card list is he

Ste.
Beginning to think some on here are becoming really too close to Russ.
It'll end in pain,as many relationships do.

Meanwhile, still we still abuse/insults popping Dr Ps way,same with DWSS and Vetch. It goes on and on and the gang culture is still here albeit in a more gentle format.

Just disagree for Allah's sake and leave the crepe out especially long term hate.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Russell Martin to Norwich City ? on 10:26 - Nov 9 with 1199 viewsKeithHaynes

Who are the current favourites according to Sky Bet?

Frank Lampard — 7/4
Kjetil Knutsen — 5/2
Roy Hodgson — 4/1
Mark Robins — 7/1
Steve Bruce — 10/1
Russell Martin — 14/1

There is conflicting reports in regards to Frank Lampard, various media outlets including TEAMtalk claim talks have been opened with the former Chelsea player, however MyFootballWriter understands they haven’t been in contact with him over their vacant head coach role despite him being the favourite.

The timing of the German’s dismissal was intended to allow for time to commence City’s new manager search, with this week’s international break providing some respite from the relentless Premier League schedule.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024