Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy bills 23:01 - Aug 24 with 44100 viewsHayesender

Watching the news earlier, they were talking about the impact these energy bill rises will have on small businesses.

It got me thinking (dangerous I know) about the potential effect it could have on our club, and other clubs of similar and smaller size?

Not only the day to day running costs and matchday costs, but also the affect its gonna have on attendances.

Obviously when it comes down to heating, eating, mortgage, rent etc, days out with mates and family watching football, or any sporting event, are gonna have to take a back seat for many people.

Unless the government (lol) take action now, its gonna be a bleak winter for many people and businesses, and I fear for people's mental well being

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Energy bills on 14:34 - Aug 25 with 2615 viewsBoston

Energy bills on 12:06 - Aug 25 by Rangersw12

I'm really worried about the cost of energy this winter as our fixed rate expires in Oct

Basically telling the kids heating will be set to 14c and they will have to wear jumpers and use blankets

I appreciate your concerns over heating, but I advise you to set your thermostats a couple of degrees higher. The cost of repairing burst pipes will remove any gains you make from lower energy bills.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Energy bills on 14:44 - Aug 25 with 2565 viewsSonofpugwash

Thorium much more abundant than Uranium - not enough development in the short term.
(Up yours Rooskies)
Also Helium 3 in the Moon's regolith - about 1,100,000 metric tons.
In the short term it looks like we'll have to go round to the neighbours to borrow a cup of leccy.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Energy bills on 16:53 - Aug 25 with 2445 viewsenfieldargh

Energy bills on 12:03 - Aug 25 by terryb

From memory, you could use floodlights as long as you used your own generator, but couldn't take energy from the national grid.

I think I recall playing Norwich on a midweek afternoon (and winning), but used a generator to play at night against Plymouth in the League Cup (losing) in the quarter final (?).

Paul Mariner Hatrick

Yet another lost QPR opoortunity to sign a stricker

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Energy bills on 17:20 - Aug 25 with 2402 viewsSakura

Energy bills on 13:05 - Aug 25 by R_from_afar

Another, simple way of storing energy for when the wind isn't blowing or the sun isn't shining is to store water in one lake above another and let it descend and power a turbine. We have had this technology for decades, the Dinorwig pumped storage plant opened in 1984. It's our fastest responding power source.

There are solar power plants in operation *today* which provide round the clock power, though, by storing energy in molten salt.

Tidal plants can provide round the clock power.

We need to also ditch this glib approach to nuclear - and gas - which says oh they are always operational, they are not intermittent like some renewables. They *are* intermittent if your nuclear fuel or gas comes from overseas, you are relying on a supply chain which could break if there are trading issues, a war etc.

Also, nuclear is rarely subjected to the same level of intense scrutiny as renewables. Dig below the surface and you start to uncover some very inconvenient truths about nuclear:
- Plants are on average offline 2 days a month for maintenance and refuelling. Half of the French nuclear fleet is currently offline and being repaired, simultaneously, as we speak
- In this warming world, it is getting difficult to adequately cool nuclear reactors
- They need a lot of water too, Sizewell C has no identified source for the 2m litres of fresh water it needs per day. Not all of the cooling can be done with sea water
- The costs are insanely high. Our current - current - nuclear clean-up bill is £131bn
- We can't build them fast enough to help with supply issues or to counter climate change and global warming. My MP told me in 2013 that we only needed 20 new reactors in order to get 40% of our electricity. Well, his party is in government and is pro-nuclear but has not added a single reactor in that time. These plants take 10 years to build
- Small numbers of very large power plants are actually a bad idea because if one goes offline, you are left with a huge amount of energy to find from somewhere else, and nuclear plants can't back up other nuclear plants efficiently because reactors take time to get up and running, they are not a responsive power source.

Fracking is not going to help us against climate change and now, with water supply becoming an issue in many parts of the country, the huge volumes of water it requires will mean it's drinking water/water for farming *or* water for fracking, not both. Every degree of warming means sea levels will be 2.3 metres higher.

The problem stems from us losing control of our energy supply when we privatised it. How we could think handing critical national infrastructure (water too) over to private companies - with shareholders, many of them not even in the UK - is beyond me. It's insane and means we struggle to control prices and infrastructure is neglected.

We have also dropped the ball when it comes to insulating our housing stock and requiring developers to incorporate energy and water saving features in new buildings.

The green stuff is not the problem, it's the solution. One day, we have to move off fossil fuels because they will either run out, become unaffordable, or the countries supplying them will just keep them for their own use.

We could get all of our energy from renewables but it would be tough, for which reason, I think we have to use some nuclear, not that I think that is ideal on cost and security grounds, and a lot more renewable capacity. Some of that should be from tidal power, it has huge potential for the UK, can deliver a lot of power round the clock, is responsive and the plants have very long operational lives. The French Rance tidal power plant has been doing its thing since the 60s. Adding a lot more pumped storage plants would help give us back-up for the nuclear and renewables and also help with our drought problems.

Another huge positive from increasing our use of local renewable energy would be the security which comes from energy independence.

It does make we chuckle when you suggest we can't do fracking as we don't have enough water which is pretty funny when you consider that Texas, California, New Mexico and Alabama manage it

I agree like most if not everyone that renewables are a part of the answer for now and will eventually become much bigger part of the answer in future

There is a lot of people on here who make points that go over really well at a dinner party but actually we will find out this winter and then especially next winter that those nice fluffy Green Party intentions are going to collide smack bang with the reality of physics

We will see how many Megawatt hours we used to produce. How many we need to produce and how many we are consistently able to produce.

A point that will become clearer in its relevance after next years harvest is that the number one input into fertiliser production. To emphasise this remember this in winter 2023!!!!!!!!! Our harvests have not yet felt the force of this impact

Putin did weaponise energy. That's the risk we faced and failed to prepare for by not developing our own fossil fuels in the West sufficiently

Put simply if you stop production of new sources of fossil fuels and don't have a large place for nuclear alongside renewables that is going to result in the starvation of hundreds of millions of people around the world. Winter 23-24 we will begin to see that

We will not starve here. It will be very expensive. But in the UK we will be ok in that sense. In other continents that won't be the case and people will die as a direct consequence of people who hold 'luxury beliefs' such as your own.

Nuclear is needed alongside renewables because you need a reliable base load because renewables are sporadic and unpredictable. Also isn't enough battery storage currently. So I share you hopes and wishes for the importance of renewables in future but we aren't there next so if you remove those inputs from the system as we have then the consequences are coming for us all and beginning to be felt now

As my previous post shows. Trump warned us this was coming due the path we put ourselves on

Another interesting and sad point to add ; nearly 40% of Europe’s so-called renewable energy is obtained by combusting wood & a sizable portion of what’s being burned is derived from clearcutting forests in US.

https://doomberg.substack.com/p/back-to-the-future

Another nutty fact. The US haven't built a new refinery since 1977.

A last point on solar where we face the same risks on energy there. China has total dominance on the polysillicone which is vital part of solar energy production.

The recent years decrease in solar powers production costs wasn't because of technological advancements but because China used cheap dirty coal and effective slave labour to dump polysillicone on the market. Force competition out of business.

It takes a good 5 years and billions of dollars to bring on a plant. So we must know how dangerous it is for the West to get reliant on China and it's polysillicone production as we did with Putin and the Gas.

All these honorable dinner party talking points are colliding with the realities of physics. Suggestions around descending water from a lake and stuff is just sad really. Good luck getting your aluminium smelters going off that stuff :(
[Post edited 25 Aug 2022 17:23]
Energy bills on 17:23 - Aug 25 with 2381 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Did you really need to create another profile just to make this point?
Energy bills on 17:31 - Aug 25 with 2362 viewsbollockchops

With the imbending car crash on the horizon i took the decision last november to cut my gas off and see if it was possible to live without it , i got myself two electric heaters and a micro wave !
During the hot spell a cold shower is fine , but during winter you have to be a bit harder !
Cooking from a microwave is a learning curve but do-able.
Its not ideal but you can get used to anything !
When the price goes down ill re connect !
Energy bills on 17:39 - Aug 25 with 2346 viewsHayesender

Energy bills on 17:31 - Aug 25 by bollockchops

With the imbending car crash on the horizon i took the decision last november to cut my gas off and see if it was possible to live without it , i got myself two electric heaters and a micro wave !
During the hot spell a cold shower is fine , but during winter you have to be a bit harder !

Microwaves are fine for heating stuff up, or doing something like scrambled eggs, but I wouldn't like to rely on one to cook my meals.

I've just invested in an air fryer. Apparently a hell of a lot cheaper to run than a conventional oven

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Energy bills on 17:54 - Aug 25 with 2305 viewsMick_S

Energy bills on 17:39 - Aug 25 by Hayesender

Microwaves are fine for heating stuff up, or doing something like scrambled eggs, but I wouldn't like to rely on one to cook my meals.

I've just invested in an air fryer. Apparently a hell of a lot cheaper to run than a conventional oven

Ours is making a reappearance soon. Silly not to.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Login to get fewer ads

Energy bills on 22:53 - Aug 25 with 2101 viewsGloryHunter

Energy bills on 17:31 - Aug 25 by bollockchops

But electricity is around four times more expensive than gas per kWh, isn't it?
Energy bills on 08:08 - Aug 26 with 1950 viewsslmrstid

80% increase to £3,549 typical.

Good luck all...
Energy bills on 08:33 - Aug 26 with 1903 viewsloftboy

£300 a month for the majority of households in this country will be horrendous.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Energy bills on 09:01 - Aug 26 with 1856 viewsStreathamRanger

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think most of us will get £400 off our bills over the next 6 months (£66 per month). Helps a bit but they'll need to at least double that for the most vulnerable and I'm not sure those on top up meters who are often the hardest pressed get anything off.
Energy bills on 09:03 - Aug 26 with 1852 viewsNorthernr

Energy bills on 08:33 - Aug 26 by loftboy

£300 a month for the majority of households in this country will be horrendous.

And everything else, every other place, you use that uses energy too...
Energy bills on 09:12 - Aug 26 with 1833 viewsted_hendrix

In 1990 we had the poll tax riots, in the year 2022 we all sit around and and use a keyboard and go 'oh dear'

Last time I saw Johnson on the news he was in Ukraine on a photo shoot.

'Oh dear'

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Energy bills on 09:14 - Aug 26 with 1821 viewsStreathamRanger

Energy bills on 09:03 - Aug 26 by Northernr

And everything else, every other place, you use that uses energy too...

Isn't it worse for businesses as there's no price cap for them? I'm sure I heard that somewhere.
Energy bills on 09:22 - Aug 26 with 1805 viewsMaggsinho

Energy bills on 09:14 - Aug 26 by StreathamRanger

Isn't it worse for businesses as there's no price cap for them? I'm sure I heard that somewhere.

That's right, yes, no price cap for business.
Energy bills on 09:25 - Aug 26 with 1798 viewsNortholt_Rs

Energy bills on 09:12 - Aug 26 by ted_hendrix

In 1990 we had the poll tax riots, in the year 2022 we all sit around and and use a keyboard and go 'oh dear'

'Oh dear'

I think we will see riots on the streets again Ted. People are getting desperate.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Energy bills on 09:35 - Aug 26 with 1749 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Interesting to see where this goes. People in this country have been happy enough with the centrist consensus over the last 25 years, so long as property prices keep rising. Even non-millionaire Tory voters must surely be seeing the scales fall from their eyes now though.
Energy bills on 09:41 - Aug 26 with 1728 viewsAntti_Heinola

'Oh dear'

Not even allowed to protest anymore are we?
Oh dear!

Bare bones.

Energy bills on 09:41 - Aug 26 with 1723 viewsDWQPR

The government will have no choice but to make a huge intervention. Businesses are not protected by price caps so unless there is intervention then we will see many businesses go to the wall, unemployment increasing thus a reduction in tax revenue and an increase in benefit spending. But equally we all have to be sensible. Turn off lights when not needed, make sure low energy bulbs where possible are used, turn off TV’s when not being watched. Does Alexa need to stay on standby? reduce thermostats by a couple of degrees and wear a jumper, our predecessors didn’t have the luxury of central heating or double glazing as we do, stories of scrapping the ice from the inside of windows is something I’m sure we have all heard. Showers are much cheaper than baths, turn the shower off whilst washing yourself, and as far as food is concerned, ready meals and microwaves aren’t the answer, any saving is more than offset by the cost of ready meals, which themselves are not very healthy and full of salt. Batch cook, then all you need to do is warm up the meal that you have made. Get fresh produce, much cheaper, especially from a market, and learn to cook. And even be more sociable with friends and neighbours, spend evenings, share cooking, turn down your heating whilst out when visiting and vice versa. Most of us adapted during the pandemic and we can do so again. And if you have 10 beers out each week, then have eight beers instead, that would save around £50 per month. And even going to bed half an early each night will have an effect.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Energy bills on 09:45 - Aug 26 with 1718 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I don’t fully support this as a strategy, especially for the most skint of us and those on probation but at least some fckers are trying to do something:

https://dontpay.uk/
Energy bills on 09:52 - Aug 26 with 1701 viewsDWQPR

Energy bills on 09:45 - Aug 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

I don’t fully support this as a strategy, especially for the most skint of us and those on probation but at least some fckers are trying to do something:

https://dontpay.uk/

It’s a stupid idea, the reality for most in trouble would be to suggest to pay what they can afford and not decide not to pay. After all they have been paying for energy all of this time. Yes we all want to see everyone manage but we don’t want to see them to get into excess debt. Targeted help is necessary for those most vulnerable.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Energy bills on 09:53 - Aug 26 with 1696 viewsPlanetHonneywood

'Oh dear'

This!

People have lost the ability to organise proper protests.

Frankly, with trade union density declining, I'm amazed they aren't looking to become more/as focused on the impact on people's lives of government economic policies, that now go beyond representing the traditional working classes.

The cost of living crisis is going to result in people dying during the winter months; Lizard Truss is without doubt the thickest person we'll have operating as a leader; and no one is seriously factoring in the impact that's going to come from rising mortgage interest rates.

If you had a mortgage in or since 2008 and you didn't prioritise paying it or as much of it off, then Lord help you when those monthly payments start to go up as well.

Pwaper fcuked!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Energy bills on 09:57 - Aug 26 with 1660 viewsderbyhoop

Energy bills on 09:14 - Aug 26 by StreathamRanger

See my post above re the Fish distribution company facing 260% increase in energy bills.
Radical change = radical solutions.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Energy bills on 10:04 - Aug 26 with 1629 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Energy bills on 09:52 - Aug 26 by DWQPR

It’s a stupid idea, the reality for most in trouble would be to suggest to pay what they can afford and not decide not to pay. After all they have been paying for energy all of this time. Yes we all want to see everyone manage but we don’t want to see them to get into excess debt. Targeted help is necessary for those most vulnerable.

Might be a stupid idea but it’s an idea.

As Ted says, beats twiddling your nuts while whinging on LfW.

After my last bill I’ve also got a bit more sympathy for those that glue themselves to tankers too.

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westmidlands/news/2066879-arrests-made-as-50-jus
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 10:08]
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024