Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blades match thread.... 22:22 - Oct 3 with 43231 viewsqpr_1968

a very brave and confident 1-0 win to the r's.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Blades match thread.... on 21:57 - Oct 4 with 2195 viewsPunteR

Solid performance. We look the real deal.
or should i say.... the Beale deal.

I'll get my coat.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Blades match thread.... on 21:58 - Oct 4 with 2167 viewsBenny_the_Ball

A gritty win on a wet Tuesday evening oop north. How woulda thunk it?

Despite conceding possession I felt QPR were value for the win as they had the better chances and, on another day, could have scored 2 or 3. Instead, we were left biting our nails, but the lads came through. Shout out to the brave souls who made the trip.

Only negatives are the injuries to key players. Willock's looked like a hamstring, so he'll be out for a few weeks. The team will need to step up in his absence. Balogun was also feeling his hamstring but at least we have plenty of cover in central defence. Also, I was concerned that Dieng wasn't taking goal kicks. Is he injured?

Anyhow, we go again Friday against the fakes.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2022 0:02]
Blades match thread.... on 21:58 - Oct 4 with 2153 viewsstevec

Those ‘CF’s make it hard work, but 10/10 for the rest of them, battling till they drop.

That mid winter month off might work in our favour this season, 20 odd games, rest, and then have a bang at the next 20. We might even get off with a final 6 game tail off.
Blades match thread.... on 21:58 - Oct 4 with 2140 viewsR_from_afar

Blades match thread.... on 21:53 - Oct 4 by MrSheen

Just need to beat Reading by 8 to go top.

If that happens, Ted will need to be sedated!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Blades match thread.... on 21:58 - Oct 4 with 2108 viewsstainrods_elbow

I'm never quite sure about the phrase 'statement win', but if it's a thing, that was surely it! Blades top of the table, unbeaten at home for 20 odd games, conceded 1 goal at Brammall Lane in the last 5, but we go and do it while Willockless for the last 30. (Please be well, Chrissy.) They had lots of possession 2nd half, but it was mostly off-target strikes from distance when they tried to pull the trigger (21 goal attempts but only 5 on target), and their pen appeal was six of one and half a dozen off the other. I think we deserved it on all counts - guile. grit, grip and grout. Only disappointment was another unconvincing performance from Dyles, and his spurning a glorious chance to make the game safe, but that was a game where it felt the whole squad and coaching team ground out the result, and the togetherness at the way end at full time was a joy to behold. Let's just hope CW isn't crocked, we rest and recharge, and can put the Fakes to the sword on Friday to complete a momentous week.

PS Norwich and Reading drawing, Blackburn losing and Sunderland drawing all good news for our team tonight.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2022 22:07]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Blades match thread.... on 21:59 - Oct 4 with 2120 viewshubble

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Blades match thread.... on 21:59 - Oct 4 with 2118 viewshook_hoops

That is the best defensive performance I've seen from us in many a long year. Brilliant!!
Blades match thread.... on 21:59 - Oct 4 with 2079 viewsHooparoo

5 wins in the last 7 games must surely make us the form team in the Championship at the moment. BBC match report very complimentary. Could be a great season, certainly going in the right direction. Beale's da man!

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Login to get fewer ads

Blades match thread.... on 21:59 - Oct 4 with 2068 viewsted_hendrix

What a defensive display tonight, If defending was an art (which It Is) then we've got a group of artists.
Brilliant stuff really brilliant,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Blades match thread.... on 22:00 - Oct 4 with 2016 viewscolinallcars

Barman, another half of lager shandy if you please.
Blades match thread.... on 22:02 - Oct 4 with 1950 viewsdmm

Give Beale his due. He had us defending better than I've seen us do for many years. We weren't great with the ball but we didn't need to be because there was a blue and white barricade Sheff Utd could not breech.
Blades match thread.... on 22:07 - Oct 4 with 1766 viewshubble

Don't know if it was commented on earlier in this thread, but I particularly enjoyed Nick London's "pass the Dutchy on the left hand side" when referring to a sufc player trying to get past Ken Paal - and there was another classic, which I've bloody forgotten already!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Blades match thread.... on 22:08 - Oct 4 with 1727 viewsHAYESBOY

Think we have played much better overall, but that was the best defensive display I have seen for a while.
Everything headed away or blocked bar 25 plus yards. Seny with only one hard save to make from Norwood 30 yarder.

Johansen fresh for Friday. Tim as well. Would maybe start Dykes Friday as Roberts was blowing early.
Dunne and JCS for Friday as well. Give Balogun a rest.

Great away win.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Blades match thread.... on 22:09 - Oct 4 with 1682 viewsstainrods_elbow

Blades match thread.... on 22:07 - Oct 4 by hubble

Don't know if it was commented on earlier in this thread, but I particularly enjoyed Nick London's "pass the Dutchy on the left hand side" when referring to a sufc player trying to get past Ken Paal - and there was another classic, which I've bloody forgotten already!

That was surely his best line yet - he must practise them in advance!

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Blades match thread.... on 22:11 - Oct 4 with 1649 viewsEmpireStateRanger

United looked as if they ran out of ideas by the 70th minute. One big Dieng save and that was it.

Our closing out has improved so much. So many blocks! And I think Paal must have blocked 4-5 crosses in the final 20 minutes. Safe to say he's adjusted to the Championship.

Thrilled with that. Worried to hear about Willock's injury, but until we get word on that, let's savor this one!
Blades match thread.... on 22:11 - Oct 4 with 1648 viewsMrSheen

Didn’t see tonight’s game, but after the mangling they put us through at the end of April we’ve clearly come so far.
Blades match thread.... on 22:11 - Oct 4 with 1641 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

WOW! Thought it was going to be a close game tonight, what a performance. Can't wait for Friday night now.
Most impressed that we did it with our supposed weaker midfield of Amos and Dozzell, massive game for both of them.
Fingers crossed Willock isn't too bad, though I think we are in a better position to deal without him this time.
On to Friday. U Rs!
Blades match thread.... on 22:11 - Oct 4 with 1630 viewsLblock

Blades match thread.... on 22:08 - Oct 4 by HAYESBOY

Think we have played much better overall, but that was the best defensive display I have seen for a while.
Everything headed away or blocked bar 25 plus yards. Seny with only one hard save to make from Norwood 30 yarder.

Johansen fresh for Friday. Tim as well. Would maybe start Dykes Friday as Roberts was blowing early.
Dunne and JCS for Friday as well. Give Balogun a rest.

Great away win.

I'm not sure about Big Tim.... I still feel he's some way off being a starter at this level.

However.

For the first time in ages I looked at our starting 11 and though "mmmm, yep, do for me" and then looked at the bench and amazingly thought "decent bench that".

Yet again Beale has drummed in that it's a squad game and it was great to see Dickie out with the others at the end.

Christ.... I have this weird feeling running through my veins... positivity is it?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Blades match thread.... on 22:15 - Oct 4 with 1529 viewsJigsore

I was nervous as hell those final 20 minutes but to be fair the blades hardly had a clear cut chance.

Now we'll hopefully have a fresh Johansen back for Friday too. I feel we actually have a squad now, other than like for like replacements for our poor full backs who ran their hearts out tonight.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Blades match thread.... on 22:17 - Oct 4 with 1478 viewstraininvain

Blades match thread.... on 22:11 - Oct 4 by Lblock

I'm not sure about Big Tim.... I still feel he's some way off being a starter at this level.

However.

For the first time in ages I looked at our starting 11 and though "mmmm, yep, do for me" and then looked at the bench and amazingly thought "decent bench that".

Yet again Beale has drummed in that it's a squad game and it was great to see Dickie out with the others at the end.

Christ.... I have this weird feeling running through my veins... positivity is it?

How many points till we’re safe Lblock?!
Blades match thread.... on 22:18 - Oct 4 with 1432 viewstimeforheroes

Blades match thread.... on 21:55 - Oct 4 by qpr_1968

the closing down by qpr was the best i;ve seen for a long time, especially in the last 15 minutes.....defended from the front....excellent.

Agreed- the dykes/Roberts chance was brilliant pressing, literally trapped them for Amos to win it
Blades match thread.... on 22:19 - Oct 4 with 1406 viewsconnell10

Blades match thread.... on 22:07 - Oct 4 by hubble

Chair changed direction quicker than the chancellor of the exchequer.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Blades match thread.... on 22:20 - Oct 4 with 1383 viewsGreenbay

MATCH REPORT
Sheffield United 0 QPR 1
This was a smash and grab win at the league leaders.
One piece of brilliance from Willock just after HT, an excellent defensive display and a great squad effort - did the trick.
We used 15 players (4 subs) which is now become the norm.
And we were helped by a Sheffield United side that had shots either blocked by a resilient defence, that were off-target - and also our Seny.
He made a brilliant left-handed save from a Norwood long-range piledriver plus his usual smart catching and calm influence on the team.
A third away win in four matches and a third clean sheet in four games — that’s impressive.
Balogun - a sprightly 34 year old - has made a big difference whoever he partners in the heart of defence. JCS and Dunne outstanding too plus our full backs of course Laird and Paal along with Field.
Is Mick Beale a genius? I do like his interviews on the Offy — both previews and after-match.
He’s very clear in his thinking and he’s so enjoyable to listen to.
There’s no hiding with him. Am I disciple of Beale?
Last Saturday — after the win at Bristol City — I was convinced.
But to win at Sheffield United — the league’s top scorers and they had only conceded just 6 Championship goals pre the game — well that’s very impressive.
We all know that there will be hiccups ahead.
There will be good performances and bad performances. It’s the nature of the beast.
But overall Beale’s understanding of football — the players he knows that he’s brought to the club and the way he tactically changes things during the games — well that’s impressive.
He’s a student of football — 20 years in the making and we are his first English club as the Head Coach.
Hope he stays at least for his full 3-year contract.
Meantime we should have won this match 2-0 as many people on this thread have indicated.
That’s despite defending for most of the 95 minutes apart from a short spell in the opening half and the occasional raid in the second.
Dykes, replacing Willock, had a shot blocked inside the box and Roberts after the rebound somehow missed the target. Either player should have scored.
You could almost bet if those chances had fallen to Illy or Willy then us suffering fans would not have had to endure the 30 remaining minutes as we pleaded for our team to hang on.
We do it in different ways — hide behind the couch, pace up and down the room, and those brave souls at Bramall Lane — well just roaring the team on.
Five wins and a draw from our last 7 matches — that’s impressive too.
The only blight on our victory was Willock — with a possible hamstring injury — going off just four minutes after scoring his sixth goal of the season.
A pleasing combination it was with Laird on the right - before Willock from an acute angle hit the target.
Let’s hope that Willock is not too badly injured.
So up we go to fourth. Burnley must beat Stoke at Turf Moor to go above us this Wednesday night.
Going into Friday’s home match against third-placed Reading we have 21 points from 12 games — 3 points ahead of our 18 last season.
Victory over Reading - held at home 1-1 by Norwich and we go at least third joining the top two S.Utd and Norwich. Unbelievable
And continuing our fantasy - we have 9 more matches before the 4-week World Cup break.
That follows our match at Coventry on November 12.
By that time we would have played 21 Championship matches.
Last year we had 35 points at that stage.
That means we need another 14 points from those 9 to equal that tally.
Is it possible — most definitely.
And a final word to the Op — QPR_1968.
Well done. You were spot on
[Post edited 4 Oct 2022 22:38]
Blades match thread.... on 22:21 - Oct 4 with 1384 viewsMick_S

Blades match thread.... on 22:19 - Oct 4 by connell10

Chair changed direction quicker than the chancellor of the exchequer.

That’s it.

Again, stuff the red button. Tough times, I know, but go with the offish if you can.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2022 22:23]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Blades match thread.... on 22:21 - Oct 4 with 1384 viewstraininvain

Blades match thread.... on 22:18 - Oct 4 by timeforheroes

Agreed- the dykes/Roberts chance was brilliant pressing, literally trapped them for Amos to win it

Beale’s got them pressing like Liverpool under Klopp.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024