Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rail strikes 18:33 - Oct 18 with 3209 viewsstowmarketrange

More rail strikes on 3rd,5th and 7th November announced.
Rail strikes on 19:00 - Oct 18 with 3145 viewsdenhamhoop2

FFS Change of plans for me will have to rush back for the 22 03 rather than a night out in Norwich
Rail strikes on 19:05 - Oct 18 with 3128 viewsstowmarketrange

Rail strikes on 19:00 - Oct 18 by denhamhoop2

FFS Change of plans for me will have to rush back for the 22 03 rather than a night out in Norwich

I’m not sure which rail companies are affected yet,so you may be ok if it isn’t greater Anglia.And even on strike days there is 1 train an hour from Norwich to London.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2022 19:06]
Rail strikes on 21:33 - Oct 18 with 2947 viewsTomS

Does the planned strike on Sat 5th include the London Underground?
Rail strikes on 21:43 - Oct 18 with 2900 viewslightwaterhoop

Rail strikes on 21:33 - Oct 18 by TomS

Does the planned strike on Sat 5th include the London Underground?

Not yet,but where tube trains use national rail tracks ie part of the distict line and bakerloo line north of queens park may well be affected.
Rail strikes on 22:03 - Oct 18 with 2862 viewsdaveB

i mean ffs, had booked a hotel and trains back on the 3rd. More money down the toilet, wonderful
Rail strikes on 23:10 - Oct 18 with 2774 viewsstowmarketrange

Rail strikes on 22:03 - Oct 18 by daveB

i mean ffs, had booked a hotel and trains back on the 3rd. More money down the toilet, wonderful

As I said earlier,even on strike days greater Anglia tend to run 1 train a hour from Norwich.
Rail strikes on 23:40 - Oct 18 with 2724 viewsPunteR

Does going on strike actually work?
They seem to be constantly going on strike and it's been going on for years and years.
Wtf is it about this time?
Jeez ! I honestly can't get my head around why anyone thinks it's a good idea to strike. Holding the general public hostage like that and just causing a load of agg. If anyone feels that strongly about their job just f*cking leave it and do something else like everyone else does.
I'm obviously clueless and havent grasped the reality of the situation but on a very basic level that's how I see it.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2022 23:44]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Rail strikes on 00:10 - Oct 19 with 2678 viewsdaveB

Rail strikes on 23:10 - Oct 18 by stowmarketrange

As I said earlier,even on strike days greater Anglia tend to run 1 train a hour from Norwich.

yeah but no underground that day so can't get home when back in London
Login to get fewer ads

Rail strikes on 12:30 - Oct 19 with 2329 viewsSnipper

Rail strikes on 23:40 - Oct 18 by PunteR

They seem to be constantly going on strike and it's been going on for years and years.
Jeez ! I honestly can't get my head around why anyone thinks it's a good idea to strike. Holding the general public hostage like that and just causing a load of agg. If anyone feels that strongly about their job just f*cking leave it and do something else like everyone else does.
I'm obviously clueless and havent grasped the reality of the situation but on a very basic level that's how I see it.

You’re not really that clueless on this subject are you fella?
Rail strikes on 13:13 - Oct 19 with 2219 viewsPunteR

Rail strikes on 12:30 - Oct 19 by Snipper

You’re not really that clueless on this subject are you fella?

I really am mate.

Rail strikes on 13:36 - Oct 19 with 2182 viewsSnipper

Rail strikes on 13:13 - Oct 19 by PunteR

I really am mate.

I’m a driver on the underground, and believe me, strikes are always a last resort.
It’ll be the same on National Rail.

On National Rail, the government and train companies want to decimate working practices. The unions are not wholly against changes to working practices, but they want a negotiated settlement.
The unions also want a fair pay rise in line with inflation.

On London Underground, the government (not TFL) want to make changes which we will fight.
600 job losses, mainly on stations. Many LU stations in the outer areas are regularly left without staff nowadays.
If there’s an emergency on my train at one of these stations, it’s pot luck whether I’d receive help.

They also want to attack our pension. They want to make drastic changes to the pension, which will make all staff worse off when they retire.
We will fight that tooth and nail.

The Tories would have you believe that the unions are the enemy.
The unions are a necessity, and have been since they were formed.

Without unions, there’d be no sick pay, no Monday-Friday 9-5pm, no weekends off, no maternity/paternity leave etc etc………….
Rail strikes on 15:28 - Oct 19 with 2039 viewsizlingtonhoop

Rail strikes on 23:40 - Oct 18 by PunteR

I'm an NUT rep.
In 2014 I was trying to persuade a colleague to strike that week.
Strikes don't achieve anything, says he.

One of the main issues was Gove out! (I'm simplifying)

We went on strike.

Next day Gove was gone.

There's your answer.
Rail strikes on 15:53 - Oct 19 with 1995 viewstoboboly

Do we know when details of routes/companies will be released? I'm presuming Avanti but knowing the others and/or tubes would be useful

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Rail strikes on 00:59 - Oct 20 with 1825 viewsPunteR

Rail strikes on 13:36 - Oct 19 by Snipper

I’m a driver on the underground, and believe me, strikes are always a last resort.
It’ll be the same on National Rail.

On National Rail, the government and train companies want to decimate working practices. The unions are not wholly against changes to working practices, but they want a negotiated settlement.
The unions also want a fair pay rise in line with inflation.

On London Underground, the government (not TFL) want to make changes which we will fight.
600 job losses, mainly on stations. Many LU stations in the outer areas are regularly left without staff nowadays.
If there’s an emergency on my train at one of these stations, it’s pot luck whether I’d receive help.

They also want to attack our pension. They want to make drastic changes to the pension, which will make all staff worse off when they retire.
We will fight that tooth and nail.

The Tories would have you believe that the unions are the enemy.
The unions are a necessity, and have been since they were formed.

Without unions, there’d be no sick pay, no Monday-Friday 9-5pm, no weekends off, no maternity/paternity leave etc etc………….

Appreciate your reply Snipper. I just see things from a perspective of the construction industry and a self employed carpenter.
I wouldn't like to be part of a union that dictates the rules of working hours and pay etc. There are things in place like NHBC standards, building regs etc that forms a certain level of performance you abide to ,but apart from that you're paid based on your skill set and reputation. Theres just no way id sign up to a union and have that influence my work. I back myself and fight my own corners and i have been in some situations where i didnt really know what to do or who to turn to for help if things go pear shaped. But you get through it. Im not saying you are doing it wrong im just saying its a totally different walk of life from me, and i just dont understand striking as a means of getting your own way, last resort or not. We're just in different industries doing things differently ?
How do you become a driver on the underground?. What qualifications do you need Snipper?.
Can anyone just get a licence or do you need extensive training and a few years experience?.

Rail strikes on 01:40 - Oct 20 with 1777 viewsLblock

Rail strikes on 00:59 - Oct 20 by PunteR

Appreciate your reply Snipper. I just see things from a perspective of the construction industry and a self employed carpenter.
I wouldn't like to be part of a union that dictates the rules of working hours and pay etc. There are things in place like NHBC standards, building regs etc that forms a certain level of performance you abide to ,but apart from that you're paid based on your skill set and reputation. Theres just no way id sign up to a union and have that influence my work. I back myself and fight my own corners and i have been in some situations where i didnt really know what to do or who to turn to for help if things go pear shaped. But you get through it. Im not saying you are doing it wrong im just saying its a totally different walk of life from me, and i just dont understand striking as a means of getting your own way, last resort or not. We're just in different industries doing things differently ?
How do you become a driver on the underground?. What qualifications do you need Snipper?.
Can anyone just get a licence or do you need extensive training and a few years experience?.

It won’t surprise you that I view it the same way.
Never understand how other industries function and always think those outside the building industry wouldn’t survive in my world if they needed to join it.
Incredibly blinkered and stupid and also very, very dated.

I cut my teeth when you had to be good to survive every week.
You’d get the DCM on a Friday ( Don’t Come Monday ) if you slacked, didn’t produce or face didn’t fit. It was tough, proper tough and you had to be like a chameleon a lot of the time. The pressure was immense.
The trade off was… my days what a laugh! Great teams and sponsored downtime (ie paid for drink ups) were regular. Pay was a bit ropey but the odd bonus dropped in now and then. I also got great job satisfaction seeing things that were tangible at the end of a project.
Plus for all the job insecurity you could leave a site one day and be working for someone else the next if you needed to jack.

The UK construction industry still incredibly mobile and you’re right PunteR….. if you’re say doing a loft and other work on a site in Ealing and the blokes you’re working for and with is a vvanker; then you just say “sorry I’m off”…. Likewise if the conditions are crap, unsafe etc.

I’m nearly done with my industry with maybe two years more full time before I wind down. It’s not what it was in terms of enjoyment and it’s getting more dumbed down all the time. I might train to be a tube driver in 2025 and get a pay rise….. that’s assuming they’ve not been fully automated due to all the strikes!!!!!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Rail strikes on 07:05 - Oct 20 with 1719 viewsPunteR

Rail strikes on 01:40 - Oct 20 by Lblock

It won’t surprise you that I view it the same way.
Never understand how other industries function and always think those outside the building industry wouldn’t survive in my world if they needed to join it.
Incredibly blinkered and stupid and also very, very dated.

I cut my teeth when you had to be good to survive every week.
You’d get the DCM on a Friday ( Don’t Come Monday ) if you slacked, didn’t produce or face didn’t fit. It was tough, proper tough and you had to be like a chameleon a lot of the time. The pressure was immense.
The trade off was… my days what a laugh! Great teams and sponsored downtime (ie paid for drink ups) were regular. Pay was a bit ropey but the odd bonus dropped in now and then. I also got great job satisfaction seeing things that were tangible at the end of a project.
Plus for all the job insecurity you could leave a site one day and be working for someone else the next if you needed to jack.

The UK construction industry still incredibly mobile and you’re right PunteR….. if you’re say doing a loft and other work on a site in Ealing and the blokes you’re working for and with is a vvanker; then you just say “sorry I’m off”…. Likewise if the conditions are crap, unsafe etc.

I’m nearly done with my industry with maybe two years more full time before I wind down. It’s not what it was in terms of enjoyment and it’s getting more dumbed down all the time. I might train to be a tube driver in 2025 and get a pay rise….. that’s assuming they’ve not been fully automated due to all the strikes!!!!!!!

I know how Mick Beale must feel sometimes. Always in demand..lol

Yeh construction industry isn't perfect by any means but at least you know where you stand in it and you make your own way in that world.
I get it that unions in times past have set standards in the work place a lot of peope appreciate now but it just seems to me from my scaffold tower they cause more problems for their workers than solve these days.
Going on strike again?? Again?
Same with the posties.
I feel for the workers involved but I'm just not buying into all this union everyone striking malarkey.

Rail strikes on 10:35 - Nov 4 with 1459 viewsEastR

Rail strikes on 07:05 - Oct 20 by PunteR

I know how Mick Beale must feel sometimes. Always in demand..lol

Yeh construction industry isn't perfect by any means but at least you know where you stand in it and you make your own way in that world.
I get it that unions in times past have set standards in the work place a lot of peope appreciate now but it just seems to me from my scaffold tower they cause more problems for their workers than solve these days.
Going on strike again?? Again?
Same with the posties.
I feel for the workers involved but I'm just not buying into all this union everyone striking malarkey.

Does anyone know if overground services from Clapham Junction are running tomorrow?

Trying to find info online and it's not clear

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Rail strikes on 10:54 - Nov 4 with 1406 viewssm3ranger

Rail strikes on 10:35 - Nov 4 by EastR

Does anyone know if overground services from Clapham Junction are running tomorrow?

Normally go to Clapham for a swift couple before getting on the overground.
Doing a dry run on tfl journey planner from Wimbledon and only bringing up tube journeys which is still ok for me.
So would assume overground not running but as you say not overly clear.
Rail strikes on 14:06 - Nov 4 with 1279 viewseastside_r

Rail strikes on 10:35 - Nov 4 by EastR

It is pretty clear that there won’t be any Overground running on Saturday.

Go to TfL Status - this weekend.
Rail strikes on 14:22 - Nov 4 with 1235 viewsStanisgod

The Tories have been decimating the unions since Thatcher, it will never stop.
As much as it puts me out tomorrow stand firm mate.
I often get on at Pitsea and theres no booking office open on a Saturday daytime, there was 3 ticket machines now only 2, so if one breaks down you have a massive queue, especially as you need a degree in computer technology to get a travel card with a network card on one.
Seem to be able to afford to pay. 2 burly geezers to man the barriers though, funny that.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Rail strikes on 15:41 - Nov 4 with 1171 viewsflynnbo

Sky news just reporting strike tomorrow is suspended.

BBC website states:
A series of strikes by railway workers planned for 5, 7 and 9 November have been suspended, the RMT union has announced.
The strikes had involved staff at Network Rail, which employs signalling workers across England, Scotland and Wales - so it was expected there would be a major impact on services across the network.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2022 15:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024