Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. 12:52 - Oct 24 with 8170 viewsSnipper

We have an absolute gem in Sam Field. Which begs the question, how the hell did West Brom let him leave? What was it that they didn’t like?

Danny Maddix is another one we picked up from Tottenham on a free transfer.

What transfer mistakes have QPR made by letting players go for a pittance at the time?

Which other clubs have made big mistakes with players?
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 12:56 - Oct 24 with 4873 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

He was let go as West Brom were in a premier league relegation fight if memory serves me correctly and he was getting little game time due to ongoing injury problems. We got him, fixed the medical issue last season, and now we have a proper player!
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 12:59 - Oct 24 with 4855 viewsNoelmc

I can't remember the exact circumstances, but always remember thinking it was a big mistake letting Clive Wilson go when we did (on a Free, I think).

Fantastic player and it certainly weakened the team when he left.
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 12:59 - Oct 24 with 4852 viewsdenhamhoop2

Chelsea had Saleh and De Bruyne as youngsters think it is safe to say they may regret letting both go too soon. Back in the day Tottenham let Des Walker leave as a youngster who went on to "You'll never beat" fame at Forest and England
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:03 - Oct 24 with 4819 viewsCamberleyR

Jimmy Carter and Dougie Freedman off the top of my head stick out for me. Carter we let go to Millwall for £15k and Freedman we let go on a free.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:06 - Oct 24 with 4787 viewsnix

Sam Allardyce was the WBA manager at the time, I think. Which probably explains everything.

Paolo Wanchope.,

https://loftforwords.fansnetwork.co.uk/forum/225925/i-loved-my-time-at-qpr-by-pa
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:31 - Oct 24 with 4629 viewsQPR_Jim

Cole Kpekawa?
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:45 - Oct 24 with 4558 viewsAntti_Heinola

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:03 - Oct 24 by CamberleyR

Jimmy Carter and Dougie Freedman off the top of my head stick out for me. Carter we let go to Millwall for £15k and Freedman we let go on a free.

To be fair, Freedman was, remarkably, the third best of our three young strikers at that time.
Would be lovely to get a Gallen, a Dichio and a Freedman all coming through at once again one day!

Sheff Wed binning Di Canio off for £1m after the ref push incident was understandable, but West Ham got a massive bargain. Roy Keane letting Rhodes go for nothing at Ipswich was a bit of a howler.

Spurs let Dave Mackay go to Derby on a free, thinking he was finished. Uh-oh.

Newcastle let Ivan Toney go.

Bare bones.

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:46 - Oct 24 with 4538 viewsLoftgirl

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:31 - Oct 24 by QPR_Jim

Cole Kpekawa?

Marco Ramkilde.
Login to get fewer ads

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:59 - Oct 24 with 4452 viewsWestbourneR

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:45 - Oct 24 by Antti_Heinola

To be fair, Freedman was, remarkably, the third best of our three young strikers at that time.
Would be lovely to get a Gallen, a Dichio and a Freedman all coming through at once again one day!

Sheff Wed binning Di Canio off for £1m after the ref push incident was understandable, but West Ham got a massive bargain. Roy Keane letting Rhodes go for nothing at Ipswich was a bit of a howler.

Spurs let Dave Mackay go to Derby on a free, thinking he was finished. Uh-oh.

Newcastle let Ivan Toney go.

Dichio was terrible.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 14:11 - Oct 24 with 4389 viewsBushman

Eric Cantona

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 14:17 - Oct 24 with 4360 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 12:59 - Oct 24 by Noelmc

I can't remember the exact circumstances, but always remember thinking it was a big mistake letting Clive Wilson go when we did (on a Free, I think).

Fantastic player and it certainly weakened the team when he left.

Great call.
We let his contract expire, then offered him a year. Francis offered him two years at Spurs.

Huge loss.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 14:23 - Oct 24 with 4327 viewsJuzzie

I reckon there are so many factors. Players sometimes mature (physically as well as emotionally) later than others, a club could have a surplus of players (wholly or in certain areas), players may not be happy or make unrealistic demands, and so on. All adds up to letting some go so they can get regular games elsewhere.

Whatever the reason I'm sure it's quite often a gamble and Clubs know players have potential but it's probably impossible to accommodate everyone or predict how players will turn out in xx years time.

Another we let go was John Barnes.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2022 14:24]
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 14:27 - Oct 24 with 4282 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Chris Kiwomya.

The clue was in the chant!
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 14:28 - Oct 24 with 4276 viewsTheChef

Clint Hill and Ale Faurlin.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 14:29 - Oct 24 with 4275 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Going in the other direction, John Barnes says in his autobiography that we ignored him didn’t offer him a contract after a trial.
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 14:39 - Oct 24 with 4234 viewsAntti_Heinola

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:59 - Oct 24 by WestbourneR

Dichio was terrible.

He wasn't at all. His first two seasons he was really effective and even in our relegation season managed 9 goals from 28 appearances, including against top teams Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool and Man Utd. Objectively, he was very good for us that year when still only 19 I think, and the year before had proved to be an able deputy for Ferdinand. At youth level, he and Gallen were certainly above Freedman anyway, which is what we're talking about here.
Bit reductive from you, Westbourne, but maybe you're a bit younger than me and only remember his later career which I agree did tail off from his significant early promise.

Bare bones.

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 14:56 - Oct 24 with 4170 viewsSnipper

Tottenham letting Pat Jennings leave to join Arsenal for nothing. They said they had a much better goalkeeper in Barry Daines.

That went well.
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 14:56 - Oct 24 with 4168 viewsbosh67

Sir Les to Newcastle. I think we got £6m. Brilliant move for him but I seem to recall we were relegated the next season!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 14:57 - Oct 24 with 4156 viewsBoston

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 13:03 - Oct 24 by CamberleyR

To be fair, Jimmy did land that President of the United States gig.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 15:07 - Oct 24 with 4101 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 14:56 - Oct 24 by bosh67

Sir Les to Newcastle. I think we got £6m. Brilliant move for him but I seem to recall we were relegated the next season!

I think we did really well to keep him for as long as we did, to be fair. And he could have demended a move a year or two prior if he'd been like other players we had.

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 15:12 - Oct 24 with 4069 viewsNoelmc

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 15:07 - Oct 24 by BrianMcCarthy

I think we did really well to keep him for as long as we did, to be fair. And he could have demended a move a year or two prior if he'd been like other players we had.

Agreed.

I think most of us expected him to go at least a year before he actually did. That's why he was always so welcomed by our fans when returning as an opposition player.

The £6m fee was good at that time too. It was just a shame it was nearly all wasted.
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 15:14 - Oct 24 with 4050 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 15:12 - Oct 24 by Noelmc

Agreed.

I think most of us expected him to go at least a year before he actually did. That's why he was always so welcomed by our fans when returning as an opposition player.

The £6m fee was good at that time too. It was just a shame it was nearly all wasted.

"It was just a shame it was nearly all wasted."

Don't.
Just don't!

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 15:15 - Oct 24 with 4046 viewsRangersw12

Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 14:39 - Oct 24 by Antti_Heinola

He wasn't at all. His first two seasons he was really effective and even in our relegation season managed 9 goals from 28 appearances, including against top teams Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool and Man Utd. Objectively, he was very good for us that year when still only 19 I think, and the year before had proved to be an able deputy for Ferdinand. At youth level, he and Gallen were certainly above Freedman anyway, which is what we're talking about here.
Bit reductive from you, Westbourne, but maybe you're a bit younger than me and only remember his later career which I agree did tail off from his significant early promise.

I still think the massive drop in form for Spencer in 97/98 was because Dichio left for Sampdoria that summer

As for the op, I suppose most recent one would be Josh Laurent who seems to have become a decent enough Championship player
[Post edited 24 Oct 2022 16:47]
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 15:46 - Oct 24 with 3952 viewsToast_R

How about Birmingham buying Clinton Morrison for 4.25 million and throwing in Andy Johnson as part of deal?
Biggest mistakes letting players leave. on 15:59 - Oct 24 with 3890 viewsCamberleyR

Quite a few of Brian Clough's Forest league champions/first European Cup winning side were deemed surplus to requirements at the clubs they were signed from and left for pittances:
Frank Clark
Larry Lloyd
John McGovern
Archie Gemmill

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024