Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA World Cup thread. 12:02 - Nov 15 with 125263 viewsSnipper

I’m trying to get excited about this World Cup, but to no avail :-((.

I’ve just watched Sky Sports World Cup preview with Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher & Karen Carney. Utterly depressing viewing. Same old, same old. Picking players for the starting XI not playing for their clubs, or totally off form.

I’m hoping this thread can get the juices flowing.

Do any of you think England have a chance?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:12 - Nov 20 with 2183 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:04 - Nov 20 by CamberleyR

A lot of their stadiums, particularly Easter Road and Tynecastle can't be expanded because their current location has a small footprint. Both have been looking to move for ages but I suspect that like us in west London, suitable land in Edinburgh close to their spiritual homes is at a premium.

If they did expand them or even build new stadia they would most likely end up like Portugal after Euro 2004 with a lot of grounds too big for the clubs that use them.

Pittodrie as an example at 21k currently is plenty big enough for Aberdeen who generally tend to average about 15k (they also averaged this in their 80s Fergie glory days as well).

Fine, fck em.

Bring on Israel-Saudi 2030
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:13 - Nov 20 with 2180 viewsdistortR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:08 - Nov 20 by Rangersw12

Great so even shite teams like Ireland and Scotland will qualify then

i doubt if Qatar will..........
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:28 - Nov 20 with 2106 viewspaulparker

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:04 - Nov 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

I don’t think we will be seeing this guy later on

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:30 - Nov 20 with 2100 viewsstowmarketrange

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:28 - Nov 20 by paulparker

I don’t think we will be seeing this guy later on

Maybe on the pitch before the next game receiving his 100 lashes?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:31 - Nov 20 with 2100 viewstraininvain

Qatari ‘fans’ in burgundy t shirts remind me of a football computer game when it cuts to the crowd.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:33 - Nov 20 with 2089 viewsCamberleyR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:00 - Nov 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

You don’t need to build a 60,000 capacity in every stadium. Upgrading a 15,000 stadium to a 30,000 one won’t creat tons of white elephants.

Belgium hosted a Euros with stadiums of 25,000

Tell that to Boavista. They never had that big an attendance even when they won the Portuguese league in the early 2000s being Porto's second club. They get about 6k these days in a 30k stadium. It's the same story with the other stadia built for Euro 2004 that aren't used by the big 3 clubs.

The 30k stadium in Charleroi rebuilt for Euro 2000 has since had to be scaled down to a more modest 15k to suit the attendances of Sporting Charleroi who use it.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:41 - Nov 20 with 2063 viewseghamranger

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:04 - Nov 20 by CamberleyR

A lot of their stadiums, particularly Easter Road and Tynecastle can't be expanded because their current location has a small footprint. Both have been looking to move for ages but I suspect that like us in west London, suitable land in Edinburgh close to their spiritual homes is at a premium.

If they did expand them or even build new stadia they would most likely end up like Portugal after Euro 2004 with a lot of grounds too big for the clubs that use them.

Pittodrie as an example at 21k currently is plenty big enough for Aberdeen who generally tend to average about 15k (they also averaged this in their 80s Fergie glory days as well).

Aberdeen are building a new training ground and stadium near the airport

Qatar are awful….when is songs of praise on…
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:50 - Nov 20 with 2028 viewsdistortR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:41 - Nov 20 by eghamranger

here you go

Login to get fewer ads

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:56 - Nov 20 with 1992 viewsCamberleyR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:41 - Nov 20 by eghamranger

I see it's proposed capacity is about the same as Pittodrie.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:57 - Nov 20 with 1990 viewsaston_hoop

You could fit everyone who stayed to watch the second half of this match in Pittodrie to be fair

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:00 - Nov 20 with 1980 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:33 - Nov 20 by CamberleyR

Tell that to Boavista. They never had that big an attendance even when they won the Portuguese league in the early 2000s being Porto's second club. They get about 6k these days in a 30k stadium. It's the same story with the other stadia built for Euro 2004 that aren't used by the big 3 clubs.

The 30k stadium in Charleroi rebuilt for Euro 2000 has since had to be scaled down to a more modest 15k to suit the attendances of Sporting Charleroi who use it.

Sounds like you’ve found a solution the the problem you brought up.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:04 - Nov 20 with 1968 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Faith restored a bit.

Thought this would be a home banker
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:09 - Nov 20 with 1941 viewsdistortR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:00 - Nov 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

Sounds like you’ve found a solution the the problem you brought up.

sounds like an expensive waste of time though, mate
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:09 - Nov 20 with 1935 viewsdistortR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:04 - Nov 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

Faith restored a bit.

it was even shitter then i imagined
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:11 - Nov 20 with 1925 viewscharmr

Some marvelous method acting by the crowd, Sir John would be proud.

There was one point when Ecuador scored they panned to their fan area and some weren’t celebrating. 10 minutes later they show the same group and the ones who weren’t celebrating a goal, a goal ffs, we’re all joining in and jumping around.

Money talks, bullshit walks
[Post edited 20 Nov 2022 18:19]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:23 - Nov 20 with 1871 viewsPlanetHonneywood

That was abject.

Worst I've seen Q play. Classic case of 'academy football' let loose on the men's game.

Those burgundy shirted guys are as Qatari as David Beckham. Was so poor an opener imaginable and a poor return on $350bn.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:27 - Nov 20 with 1855 viewsdaveB

Was like a Scottish Cup final when one of Ragers or Celtic are not in it, men against boys, Not sure if Ecuador are any good or not but they won that easily
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:47 - Nov 20 with 1811 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:09 - Nov 20 by distortR

sounds like an expensive waste of time though, mate

I‘ve probably spent £50k on the Rs in my lifetime so I’m not pulling on that thread.

If we can’t back nations like Scotland deserving a World Cup then we shouldn’t complain when nations like Qatar full the void in my opinion.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:58 - Nov 20 with 1784 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:04 - Nov 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

Faith restored a bit.

So your faith is restored because having quoted an erroneous and libelous article alleging Ecuador had taken a bung, the outcome has convinced you otherwise.

Be careful what you rely on.

Q reminded me of the runners up in the 1986 League Cup...did well to get to nil and should have done better.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:08 - Nov 20 with 1758 viewsdistortR

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:47 - Nov 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

I‘ve probably spent £50k on the Rs in my lifetime so I’m not pulling on that thread.

If we can’t back nations like Scotland deserving a World Cup then we shouldn’t complain when nations like Qatar full the void in my opinion.

I don't really follow that argument, there's plenty of other willing countries between Qatar and Scotland.
The cost of building a load of stadiums for a single tournament, in this day and age, potentially taking teams grounds, redeveloping them, and then leaving clubs with one third filled soulless bowls where they used to have their own grounds of character, is not one I'd choose.
So, for me, Scotland co-hosting with Ireland, Wales or another similar insignificant country (You there, Karl?!) would make for a great world cup finals, and make more sense economically. The savings on stadium building could be passed on to fans by subsidizing travel when/if they have to travel from Wales to Scotland, whatever. The distances still wouldn't remotely compare with travelling across America for a set of games.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:38 - Nov 20 with 1671 viewskensalriser

Well, the Qatar won't be allowed to lose conspiracy theory died an early and underwhelming death.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:43 - Nov 20 with 1660 viewshoopsmark

See we’re taking the knee again….
FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:46 - Nov 20 with 1653 viewsnix

Sorry, wrong thread!
[Post edited 20 Nov 2022 19:48]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:54 - Nov 20 with 1625 viewsterryb

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:38 - Nov 20 by kensalriser

Well, the Qatar won't be allowed to lose conspiracy theory died an early and underwhelming death.

Like almost everyone else, I thought the disallowed Ecuador gaol was a travesty & feared for the South Americans.

Of course it should have been a goal, but on reflection it was no worse than the decisions awarded to South Korea in the 2002 finals.

I would say that all hosts benefit fron dubious decisions.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:06 - Nov 20 with 1589 viewskensalriser

FIFA World Cup thread. on 19:54 - Nov 20 by terryb

Like almost everyone else, I thought the disallowed Ecuador gaol was a travesty & feared for the South Americans.

Of course it should have been a goal, but on reflection it was no worse than the decisions awarded to South Korea in the 2002 finals.

I would say that all hosts benefit fron dubious decisions.

England excepted, obvs.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024