Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Play Off Thread 19:08 - Apr 29 with 34421 viewsToast_R

Might as well take an interest, its actually more interesting this season then previous ones with the emergence of Luton, Coventry and Millwall having a go. No Norwich or any of the other Yo-Yo clubs as yet.
Hoping West Brom don't sneak in as I'm rather looking forward to them going into a financial mess.

Like to see Coventry go up. Unpopular opinion I know but also think it would be good for football if Luton win the ultimate prize and get in the big time with their hammer and nails stadium.
The Play Off Thread on 00:01 - May 17 with 2676 viewsdaveB

The Play Off Thread on 22:21 - May 16 by Northernr

Very good team, unfortunately.

Fun times being told that our 3-0 defeat to them at home "wasn't really a 3-0 game"

that was probably me, I did mean at the time that we had a good chance at 0-0 and for us 1st goal in a game is huge, also at 2-0 we hit the bar and Dykes missed a sitter, those moments change games and back them I hadn't lost all hope so was looking for a positive from the game. overall they were of course a lot better than us on the day and are a miles better team than us.

Those saying they want us to replicate the Luton style Kevin Gallen made a good point on the WLS podcast about them, they have 5 good championship strikers so can rotate and always have goals in them, we've just got Dykes so hard to play a similar style to them without all of those options. Barnsley were similar the other year as well with great options up front where you can run and press for an hour then bring on 2 very good replacements.
The Play Off Thread on 00:46 - May 17 with 2604 viewsSydneyRs

The Play Off Thread on 00:01 - May 17 by daveB

that was probably me, I did mean at the time that we had a good chance at 0-0 and for us 1st goal in a game is huge, also at 2-0 we hit the bar and Dykes missed a sitter, those moments change games and back them I hadn't lost all hope so was looking for a positive from the game. overall they were of course a lot better than us on the day and are a miles better team than us.

Those saying they want us to replicate the Luton style Kevin Gallen made a good point on the WLS podcast about them, they have 5 good championship strikers so can rotate and always have goals in them, we've just got Dykes so hard to play a similar style to them without all of those options. Barnsley were similar the other year as well with great options up front where you can run and press for an hour then bring on 2 very good replacements.

But they've been able to get those strikers on a very limited budget which shows it is not impossible to do.
The Play Off Thread on 06:38 - May 17 with 2488 viewsSK_hoops

The Play Off Thread on 00:46 - May 17 by SydneyRs

But they've been able to get those strikers on a very limited budget which shows it is not impossible to do.

Also, one of them has been there since they were non league. I wonder how many players gave scored for the same team in 4 divisions? Can't be many.
The Play Off Thread on 07:06 - May 17 with 2427 viewsHastings_Hoops

The Play Off Thread on 20:33 - May 16 by Superhoop83

Luton and Sunderland are so much better than us it's scary.

Still, let's see what Ainsworth and Dobson can do with us - and I'm not being sarcastic!

Our team lost motivation (not quality) when Beale went. We need to avoid perpetuating too much of this doom narrative.
The Play Off Thread on 07:11 - May 17 with 2403 viewsHastings_Hoops

The Play Off Thread on 22:27 - May 16 by Wegerles_Stairs

We should of course continue to "lower our expectations".

Luton have quietly gone about their business building a promotion squad because they didn’t have a ‘sign-an-fing-striker brigade’. In other words they have lower expectations than us and they can implement a plan properly without pivoting to signing a load of old soaks on loan every 12 months.
The Play Off Thread on 07:36 - May 17 with 2376 viewsNorthernr

The Play Off Thread on 00:01 - May 17 by daveB

I was referring to Critchley actually mate, he made the comment post match.

Thickest 3-0 defeat I ever did see, until the next one.
The Play Off Thread on 07:40 - May 17 with 2358 viewsdistortR

The Play Off Thread on 06:38 - May 17 by SK_hoops

Also, one of them has been there since they were non league. I wonder how many players gave scored for the same team in 4 divisions? Can't be many.

We struggle to find a striker who can score for us in 4 different games, let alone divisions.
The Play Off Thread on 07:42 - May 17 with 2351 viewsdistortR

The Play Off Thread on 07:11 - May 17 by Hastings_Hoops

Luton have quietly gone about their business building a promotion squad because they didn’t have a ‘sign-an-fing-striker brigade’. In other words they have lower expectations than us and they can implement a plan properly without pivoting to signing a load of old soaks on loan every 12 months.

Surely the DoF should mitigate that?
Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:50 - May 17 with 2324 viewsHastings_Hoops

The Play Off Thread on 07:42 - May 17 by distortR

Surely the DoF should mitigate that?

Plenty of other threads on this subject!
[Post edited 17 May 2023 7:50]
(No subject) (n/t) on 08:07 - May 17 with 2292 viewsdistortR

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:50 - May 17 by Hastings_Hoops

Plenty of other threads on this subject!
[Post edited 17 May 2023 7:50]

Yeah, but i don't think you can blame us for the shit-show the club has become.
Although Amit's recent 'itch scratching', like Tony's before, makes you wonder if the DoF isn't being undermined on a regular basis.
Anyway, back to luton.....admirable uttertw'ts.
The Play Off Thread on 08:14 - May 17 with 2278 viewsdaveB

The Play Off Thread on 00:46 - May 17 by SydneyRs

of course it's not we just need to recruit a hell of a lot better
The Play Off Thread on 09:26 - May 17 with 2187 viewsToast_R

Rumour this morning is that Sunderland are going to sack Tony Mowbray. That's mental.
The Play Off Thread on 09:33 - May 17 with 2160 viewsNorthernr

The Play Off Thread on 09:26 - May 17 by Toast_R

Rumour this morning is that Sunderland are going to sack Tony Mowbray. That's mental.

Well it is and it isn't - I thought he was originally only brought in as a one-season fill because Neil walked out on them at no notice to give them the time to source their long term guy, which presumably they have now done.

He has done well though, so I guess if it aint broke...
The Play Off Thread on 09:41 - May 17 with 2137 viewsToast_R

The Play Off Thread on 09:33 - May 17 by Northernr

Well it is and it isn't - I thought he was originally only brought in as a one-season fill because Neil walked out on them at no notice to give them the time to source their long term guy, which presumably they have now done.

He has done well though, so I guess if it aint broke...

His post match interview last night, he looked absolutely Luton'ed.

The Play Off Thread on 09:55 - May 17 with 2101 viewsCateLeBonR

The Play Off Thread on 09:41 - May 17 by Toast_R

His post match interview last night, he looked absolutely Luton'ed.

Makes me wonder whether the Final being at Wembley will work against Luton.
The Play Off Thread on 10:29 - May 17 with 1997 viewsWegerles_Stairs

The Play Off Thread on 07:11 - May 17 by Hastings_Hoops

The 'sign-an-effing-striker' brigade are a red herring. We barely have any strikers!
The Play Off Thread on 11:23 - May 17 with 1925 viewsWelsh_Ranger

I really enjoyed the game last night, despite it being Luton. As someone else has said packed tight ground with a hell of an atmosphere. Two teams trying to play contrasting styles. Luton played the game really well taking advantage of Sunderlands lack of CB's and their relentless pressing was a joy to watch - im sure the commentator said their pressing stats are top of the division.

Alfie Doughty played really well, great from a dead ball situation and really worked the line well, very tidy player. 100% commitment from everyone on the pitch no backing out of challenges.

I do think they might struggle at Wembley though.
The Play Off Thread on 13:10 - May 17 with 1838 viewsClive_Anderson

Every time I see Luton they've got a completely different kit. Gone from Fulham/Derby colours, to white with blue trim, then tangerine and blue or white depending on the season , then dark reddish orange and now basically a red and white Southampton strip.
The Play Off Thread on 19:24 - May 17 with 1715 viewsozranger

The Play Off Thread on 20:52 - May 16 by Toast_R

Sunderland have wilted a bit first half. Not coping with Luton's ariel strength in the box at all. Also, Kenilworth Road is a cauldron tonight. The Luton fans breathing down the Sunderland players necks whenever there's a throw or corner. It's everything Loftus Road should be but hasn't been for months.

A bit more than that..

The Play Off Thread on 20:35 - May 17 with 1607 viewsHunterhoop

Ref in this Boro v Cov game is, like the commentators, very pro-Boro.

Whilst Boro are dominating, there is a goal or two in this for Cov on the counter. They just need to sort out their distribution. They keep coughing up easy ball.
The Play Off Thread on 21:19 - May 17 with 1514 viewsToast_R

Go on Cov!
The Play Off Thread on 21:19 - May 17 with 1505 viewsWatford_Ranger

Great finish from Hamer (oh for a player like him).

Steffen is woeful and apparently on huge money.
The Play Off Thread on 21:20 - May 17 with 1510 viewsNorthantsHoop

The Play Off Thread on 20:35 - May 17 by Hunterhoop

Ref in this Boro v Cov game is, like the commentators, very pro-Boro.

Whilst Boro are dominating, there is a goal or two in this for Cov on the counter. They just need to sort out their distribution. They keep coughing up easy ball.

If Coventry can hold on and win this, going to be a cracking final between them and Luton.
The Play Off Thread on 21:23 - May 17 with 1497 viewsRs_Holy

The Play Off Thread on 21:20 - May 17 by NorthantsHoop

If Coventry can hold on and win this, going to be a cracking final between them and Luton.

it's just an incredible story (if the Sky Blues can hang on).... talk about from rags to riches for either club.
The Play Off Thread on 21:34 - May 17 with 1432 viewsNorthantsHoop

The Play Off Thread on 21:23 - May 17 by Rs_Holy

it's just an incredible story (if the Sky Blues can hang on).... talk about from rags to riches for either club.

Both Luton and Coventry deserve a shot at the Premier League, been very good this season and last couple of seasons. Gjokeres superb striker, only cost a £1m apparently.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024