Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. 16:21 - May 8 with 19020 viewselectricblue

According to JM he will be speaking to the club in a few days......

For me keep him as a coach and use him needed as an interim manager.....
[Post edited 8 May 2023 16:45]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 11:18 - May 9 with 3560 viewsTrev

The BoD have come out and admitted they have made plenty of mistakes.

The BOD believe the mistake last summer was leaving recruitment to the manager. Whereas most would argue the big mistake was not getting rid of Stockdale at the end of the season.

Due to the poor recruitment last summer the BoD are convinced that the best way forward is to have the responsibility of recruitment taken away from the manager / head coach.

I believe this will be reflected by who we appoint to be head coach in a couple of weeks.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 11:20 - May 9 with 3536 viewspioneer

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 11:14 - May 9 by NorthernDale

How can consultants advice on recruitment, do they identify and recommend players, based on what criteria?

Have the club done any interviews? McNulty alluded to the fact the club wanted to talk/interview him over the last few weeks, but he had put them off until the season was over to allow him to concentrate on the team. So that begs the question, have the club spoken to other people over the last few weeks or are they only now commencing the process?

Probably handed that over to consultants as a well
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 11:26 - May 9 with 3509 viewsD_Alien

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 11:18 - May 9 by Trev

The BoD have come out and admitted they have made plenty of mistakes.

The BOD believe the mistake last summer was leaving recruitment to the manager. Whereas most would argue the big mistake was not getting rid of Stockdale at the end of the season.

Due to the poor recruitment last summer the BoD are convinced that the best way forward is to have the responsibility of recruitment taken away from the manager / head coach.

I believe this will be reflected by who we appoint to be head coach in a couple of weeks.

To which can be added: if the new head coach isn't responsible for recruitment, the salary on offer will (or certainly should?) reflect that reduced responsibility. That will almost certainly limit us to candidates whose credentials reflect their experience in recruitment, since it's something most would want to retain if they're still on a career pathway rather than seeking one last payday

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 11:59 - May 9 with 3404 viewsTomRAFC

I don't think McNulty comes across very well here. There's a slight dig for everyone here. The board, the fans, the direction of the club (that he wants to manage). I can't help but feel he greatly overestimates how well he's done.

Does a manager/head coach with a decent track record guarantee success? No. If the board improve the running of the non-footballing side of things and appoint a manager with a decent record, and things go tits up, we can't use too much hindsight to beat ourselves with.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 12:19 - May 9 with 3309 viewsNorthernDale

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 11:26 - May 9 by D_Alien

To which can be added: if the new head coach isn't responsible for recruitment, the salary on offer will (or certainly should?) reflect that reduced responsibility. That will almost certainly limit us to candidates whose credentials reflect their experience in recruitment, since it's something most would want to retain if they're still on a career pathway rather than seeking one last payday

The problem is that their idea of a good player is based on data, like passes and the amount of running, but from what I read about the NL. It is the land of the giants and only a manager with this knowledge and experience can recruit players to allow us to survive and seek a return to the EFL. Yes, we can have small creative players, but as we found out this season, if you have too many, the team can be overwhelmed by other teams with bigger, more physical players.

So my concern is that they could advice us to recruit the wrong type of players and if it goes t*ts up, it is the manager who loses his job, not them.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 12:52 - May 9 with 3191 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Is there a list of available managers anywhere? I can't find one here.
One that is available just did a great job of rescuing Huddersfield and before someone says we can't afford him, at 74 I'm sure he is comfortably off and drawing a good pension. Money won't be his primary concern. With his experience it would be crazy not to at least sound him out. Too old? Just like a forward most fans want to keep for another season.
Roy Hodgson would argue you're never too old.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 12:54 - May 9 with 3182 viewsRodingdale

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 12:19 - May 9 by NorthernDale

The problem is that their idea of a good player is based on data, like passes and the amount of running, but from what I read about the NL. It is the land of the giants and only a manager with this knowledge and experience can recruit players to allow us to survive and seek a return to the EFL. Yes, we can have small creative players, but as we found out this season, if you have too many, the team can be overwhelmed by other teams with bigger, more physical players.

So my concern is that they could advice us to recruit the wrong type of players and if it goes t*ts up, it is the manager who loses his job, not them.

Correct, in many ways the Director of Football / Sporting Director works for the board, and the Head Coach works with the players provided, it’s a two way street, but the recruitment of players will support a strategy and to a budget set by the board. If the results impact on the boards strategy financially or reputationally it’s far easier to marginalise one aspect, ie the Manager Head coach. Tottenham is a good example, no matter how many times you change the manager - if the Board (or in that case Daniel Levy) don’t change what they do, the results will be the same.

I sense we are about to find out what football by management consultants looks like.

Now more importantly have they updated the fixture board yet? Oh, hang on….
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 13:42 - May 9 with 3073 viewsseasidedale

MK DONS sacked their management team today, didn’t realise Robbie Stockdale was assistant manager there.
Login to get fewer ads

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 15:11 - May 9 with 2946 viewsDaleiLama

Saw this on Twitter.
8 Games
✅ 3 Wins
🤝 3 Draws
❌ 2 Defeats
🔢 12 points from a possible 24 points
📈 38% Win Rate
Needless to say the games that did matter we mostly lost or drew and did better in the ones that didn't matter.

Another on-line poll shows about 1 in 3 wanting him to stay on as gaffer.

Nowt against him personally, but can he be objective and distance himself from the squad he's played with and make objective decisions on players where necessary? Can he attract the kind of players we need to have a chance at even staying up next year? Can he bring a plan B to the table when plan A isn't working? Can he oversee a style of play which sees goals (plural) being scored regularly, or will we always revert to back-passes and playing it safe? Too many reservations for me. It could end up better the devil we know than the devil we don't by season's end, but I just don't feel Big Jim has enough to lead us. It's nothing more than a gut-feeling.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 16:08 - May 9 with 2832 viewselectricblue

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 13:42 - May 9 by seasidedale

MK DONS sacked their management team today, didn’t realise Robbie Stockdale was assistant manager there.

If Stockdale only did 3 days a week at Dale due to travelling what did he do at the Dons!

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 16:59 - May 9 with 2696 viewsJames1980

I'm sure none of us envy the board in having to make what will be one of the most important staffing decisions in the club's history. A bit more attacking intent, a few more shots, 3 or more additional points and Jim looks a more appealing prospect.
Reversing Hexit seems to divide opinion I wonder if it is 52 to 48 either way. If he has learned lessons especially from his time in National League and is prepared to act on them I'd consider him. If we hit national league running playing 1st or early second era Hill football I reckon he would win over most of the naysayers.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 17:08 - May 9 with 2668 viewsTrev

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 15:11 - May 9 by DaleiLama

Saw this on Twitter.
8 Games
✅ 3 Wins
🤝 3 Draws
❌ 2 Defeats
🔢 12 points from a possible 24 points
📈 38% Win Rate
Needless to say the games that did matter we mostly lost or drew and did better in the ones that didn't matter.

Another on-line poll shows about 1 in 3 wanting him to stay on as gaffer.

Nowt against him personally, but can he be objective and distance himself from the squad he's played with and make objective decisions on players where necessary? Can he attract the kind of players we need to have a chance at even staying up next year? Can he bring a plan B to the table when plan A isn't working? Can he oversee a style of play which sees goals (plural) being scored regularly, or will we always revert to back-passes and playing it safe? Too many reservations for me. It could end up better the devil we know than the devil we don't by season's end, but I just don't feel Big Jim has enough to lead us. It's nothing more than a gut-feeling.

Let's not forget his 0% win ratio in his first spell...
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 17:11 - May 9 with 2639 viewsBrierls

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 16:59 - May 9 by James1980

I'm sure none of us envy the board in having to make what will be one of the most important staffing decisions in the club's history. A bit more attacking intent, a few more shots, 3 or more additional points and Jim looks a more appealing prospect.
Reversing Hexit seems to divide opinion I wonder if it is 52 to 48 either way. If he has learned lessons especially from his time in National League and is prepared to act on them I'd consider him. If we hit national league running playing 1st or early second era Hill football I reckon he would win over most of the naysayers.

I don't envy the BoD in any way at the moment, but yes, this managerial appointment is absolutely crucial.

Keith Hill?...

Keith Hill is a Dale legend.
Keith Hill was rightly sacked by Dale.
Next season, Dale need to avoid 'doing a Scunthorpe'.
Keith Hill was heavily involved in Scunthorpe 'doing a Scunthorpe'.
Keith Hill was rightly sacked by Scunthorpe.
[Post edited 9 May 2023 17:15]
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 17:19 - May 9 with 2608 viewsJames1980

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 17:11 - May 9 by Brierls

I don't envy the BoD in any way at the moment, but yes, this managerial appointment is absolutely crucial.

Keith Hill?...

Keith Hill was rightly sacked by Dale.
Keith Hill was heavily involved in Scunthorpe 'doing a Scunthorpe'.
Keith Hill was rightly sacked by Scunthorpe.
[Post edited 9 May 2023 17:15]

Is that bringing Hill back would put that legendary status under too much risk? I would like to think he knows what not to do when managing a national league team now.

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 17:56 - May 9 with 2527 viewsBrierls

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 10:43 - May 9 by Rodingdale

I think the clues are fairly clear in this extract from the Chairman’s statement, we are seeking to appoint a Head Coach assisted by consultants acting as Director of Football. I’d be very surprised if it’s not Jim. Cost being a driving factor.

“As previously communicated, the club engaged MRKT Insights to review and assist with some areas of football operations such as first team recruitment, squad modelling, and player pathways. This service comes at a fraction of the cost of employing a full time Sporting Director and allows as much of the football budget as possible to be dedicated to players. The search for a new Head Coach is ongoing, with both internal and external candidates being assessed, considered, and interviewed. This process is now in its final stages, and we hope to have made an appointment within the next two weeks.”

I can only hope we recruit better players than we did last year.

I interpret the statement differently, particularly the two week timescale.

If it was to be Jim, why would it take two weeks?

To me, the two week timescale suggests a manager who is currently employed and there is work to do on securing his exit.

My money would be (and is haha) on a promising lower NL or NLN manager.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 18:02 - May 9 with 2500 viewsBrierls

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 17:19 - May 9 by James1980

Is that bringing Hill back would put that legendary status under too much risk? I would like to think he knows what not to do when managing a national league team now.

No. I just think Keith Hill is a completely different animal now, for whatever reasons. He's not the man to take us forward.

If you sanitized his record, removing his name and clubs, you'd get laughed out of the room for even suggesting him as a candidate.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 18:19 - May 9 with 2449 viewskel

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 17:56 - May 9 by Brierls

To me, the two week timescale suggests a manager who is currently employed and there is work to do on securing his exit.

Which site did you use?

Saying that, I’m still stinging from your Sean McAuley prediction…
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 18:19 - May 9 with 2450 viewsJames1980

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 18:02 - May 9 by Brierls

No. I just think Keith Hill is a completely different animal now, for whatever reasons. He's not the man to take us forward.

If you sanitized his record, removing his name and clubs, you'd get laughed out of the room for even suggesting him as a candidate.

I guess I'm just wishfully hoping he has learnt his lessons and is ready to get his football managing mojo back.

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 18:34 - May 9 with 2405 viewsBrierls

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 18:19 - May 9 by kel

Which site did you use?

Saying that, I’m still stinging from your Sean McAuley prediction…

BetVictor is the only one with a Rochdale Manager market, I think. I checked SkyBet and Bet365, nothing on there.

As is always the case, odds tumble when original + 1 puts any money on.

I'll never live down the Sean McAuley one!
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 18:35 - May 9 with 2401 viewskel

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 18:34 - May 9 by Brierls

BetVictor is the only one with a Rochdale Manager market, I think. I checked SkyBet and Bet365, nothing on there.

As is always the case, odds tumble when original + 1 puts any money on.

I'll never live down the Sean McAuley one!

Awaiting address verification…
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 19:02 - May 9 with 2324 viewselectricblue

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 17:56 - May 9 by Brierls

I'm sure in his post match chat McNulty says that he is hoping to talk to the club or the BoD in the next few days...

So it isnt a certainty the Jim will get the nod..

If Jim does not get the nod it would prudent to keep him at the club..

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 20:34 - May 9 with 2175 viewsEllDale

There’s no point in keeping Jim at the club unless the new Head Coach wants him to stay.
We can’t carry surplus staff if the new boss wants to bring in his own back room help.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 21:07 - May 9 with 2109 viewsRippDale

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 20:34 - May 9 by EllDale

There’s no point in keeping Jim at the club unless the new Head Coach wants him to stay.
We can’t carry surplus staff if the new boss wants to bring in his own back room help.

Mike Williamson the Gateshead manager has appeared in the betting. Could be the man with NL experience we might need?
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 21:17 - May 9 with 2084 viewsEllDale

Has performed wonders there since Christmas.
And looking forward to a trip to Wembley.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 21:37 - May 9 with 2024 viewsD_Alien

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 21:17 - May 9 by EllDale

Has performed wonders there since Christmas.
And looking forward to a trip to Wembley.

Was NL North manager of the season last year, after getting Gateshead promoted back to the NL

This sounds a bit more like it...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024