Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup 18:57 - Aug 27 with 2739 viewsdurham_exile

After the disappointment of an undeserved defeat to Harrogate (again) at the weekend, the Super U’s have a free hit on Wednesday night at home to Brentford in Round Two of the Carabao Cup.

We played Brentford at this same stage of the Cup on 23 August 2022 and were unfortunate to lose 2-0 in front of 5,516 including yours truly. I hoped for a last-minute equaliser and penalties but sadly it wasn’t to be.

As part of my preview, I have included some of my match report from that evening game.

The only Colchester survivor from that evening is Samson Tovide (who was on the bench that evening).

Thomas Frank played the following team at Anfield on Sunday: 4,4,2

Flekken
Collins Pinnock Ajer Roerslev
Janelt Norgaard Jensen Lewis-Potter
Mbemo Wissa
Subs:
Onyeka Carvalho Damsgaard Schade Valdimarsson Van den Berg Mee Yarmoliuk Trevitt

Brentford have seven players in their squad from that game two years ago. Eight including Toney who played two years ago for the last 20 minutes but will not play on Wednesday pending a big money move perhaps to Chelsea. However, Wissa is also wanted by Nottingham Forest and have had a £15m bid rejected. Wissa may not play on Wednesday as a result. Both players will be big misses for Brentford.

Frank has confirmed that Carvalho, Van de Berg, Yunus Emre Konak and Ji-soo Kim will play on Wednesday. Neither Colchester nor Brentford will win the Carabao Cup (this season) but Frank will not want to lose to us on Wednesday.

I wonder will DC make several changes given that we have an important game on Saturday against Accrington Stanley (who do not play this midweek having lost at Tranmere in Round One).

Colchester have signed defender Aaron Donnelly on loan from Nottingham Forest. He plays in the back four on the left-hand side but may not figure tomorrow evening.

The other big story is whether Lyle Taylor will play on Wednesday evening.

DC is likely to make some changes though given that this is a bonus game for the club.
So, a change in goal and at the back with a change in midfield and a change up front too.

Something like this: 4,1,4,1

Smith

Hunt Kells Flanagan Iandolo

Read

Gordon Payne Woodyard Anderson

Tovide

Subs;
Macey Edwards Goodliffe Ihionvien Bishop Hopper Taylor

Wednesday night is just the sort of game to give Lyle Taylor 20 minutes. He is after all a big game player. The Montserrat striker would relish some minutes against premier league players.

Scoreline on a balmy warm 24 degrees Celsius night in Colchester will be 3-2 to the super U’s in what is a Sky Sports+ televised game.

Payne, Tovide and Big Lyle Taylor with the goals.

Notwithstanding the quality of Brentford they are surely more focussed on Southampton Home on Saturday which is a 6 pointer.

Now my abridged write up from 2 years ago.

“Colchester and WB made Six changes from the weekend 4,2,3,1.
O’Hara
Tchamadeu Eastman Dallison Kazeem
Skuse Marshall Miranda
Ashley Chilvers Newby
Akinde
Subs
Hornby Hannant Sears Coxe Tovide Chambers Clampin Nouble Owens
Big John was given the full 96 minutes.
Thomas Frank lined up making 11 changes from their weekend defeat to Fulham 4,2,3,1.
Strakosha
Roerslev M Jorgen Bech Sar Stevens
Onueka Janelt
Lewis-Potter Baptiste Damsgaard
Dervisoglu
Subs
Dasilva Ghoddos Toney Wissa Trevitt Hickey Jensen Cox

Now the difference between Premier League players and League Two apart from skill level is time on the ball. Brentford made sure that they didn’t rush their passes and played attractive passing movements. But so did we.

Tchamadeu and Kazeem linked up well with their further advanced colleagues. Marshall Miranda and Skuse played just ahead of the defence but it was Newby who stood out above the rest. He controlled the midfield and his football was intelligent and his passing sure and accurate.

He was unlucky early doors with an effort that went just wide.
I thought that Ashley and Chilvers were quiet but Chilvers dead ball play was very good. At Stockport recently Chilvers was also quiet and I know that it is rumoured that an offer is not far away but we must resist. He is needed this season to get us in apposition to challenge for the promotion spots.

Big John Akinde was winning the ball in the air but his mobility is a problem when the ball is on the deck.

It was ironic that Brentford took the lead against the run of play. Baptiste who has earlier fluffed his lines when through on goal but allowed O’Hara to fall on the ball and grab it away from him made no mistake in the 39th minute when he slid through an inch perfect pass to Lewis-Potter who calmly netted past O’Hara. Brentford fans rose from their slumbers and sang “You’re not singing anymore” but frankly the South Stand sang throughout the game.

In truth the difference between the two sides was that one slick pass which led to the goal. We battled superbly and Frank was agitated on the touchline.

Half Time and a narrow lead for the Premier side. The only change for the U’s at Half Time was Chambers on for Eastman. Tactical perhaps because Tom didn’t look injured.

Attractive approach play didn’t challenge O’Hara too much and we worked tremendously hard to create openings. Brentford for all their 1-0 lead didn’t sing and Frank looked for changes. Onyeka went off on 56 minutes replaced by Ghoddos.
Kazeem who I thought was slightly overawed second half fouled Roerslev and was booked. He injured himself and was replaced shortly afterwards by Clampin on 64 minutes. Owens came on for Ashley at the same time. I thought Ashley was too quiet and looked out of his depth.

A minute later Frank made two more changes Dasilva and Wissa for Roerslev and Damsgaard. Frank was to go on and make two more regular first team, changes such was his concern as Colchester grew ever more into the game.

That final third quality was lacking from the U’s. Dallison rose superbly only to place his header wide of the goal. Newby struck a fine effort which Strakosha saved very well.

The noise in the South Stand reached a crescendo after that passage of play.
To stem the tide Frank made his final two subs – Toney and Trevitt for Lewis-Potter and Dervisoglu on 72 minutes.

WB responded on 83 minutes by taking off the hard-working Marshall Miranda and introducing Big Frank. I was disappointed not to see Samson Tovide given some minutes.

Now Big Frank actually looked the part for those last 13 minutes (7+6). Playing wide right, he took the ball down the wing just in front of where I was sitting and delivered a couple of dangerous crosses.

Brentford resorted to some timewasting notably from the keeper and a couple of dubious collapses on the pitch. A mere 6 minutes was added on and during this time in the 92nd minute a corner was flicked on and Bech Sorensen deflected it past O’Hara.

Frankly 2-0 flattered Brentford. I am not denying them the victory but I felt that we had done enough to eke out an equaliser and take the game to penalties.

The stats are interesting Colchester figures first: Possession 35%/65%, Shots 12/13, On Target 4/5, Corners 5/3, Fouls 7/11.”

Returning to this match on Wednesday.

Enjoy the game.

Attendance likely to be 6,000.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 13:03 - Aug 28 with 1495 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I wasn't at the last Brentford game but will be at this one, hopefully to see us knock them out. It's strange to think you only have to go back 20 years to when we used to play them in the league every season and now they're an established Premier League side and we're struggling towards the bottom of League Two. When we were in the same division I always saw a lot of similarities between ourselves and Brentford too. They actually won League Two not that long ago, 2008-09, so maybe there's hope for us yet.

Going by what DC said in his pre-match interview I expect Saturday to be the stronger team selection and tonight's squad will involve more fringe players. I'd be surprised if Flanagan makes the squad and I expect Edwards to start and Terry and Thorn to be included.

Hopefully we can take the game to them and have a proper go.

Up the U's!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 13:14 - Aug 28 with 1489 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 13:03 - Aug 28 by RSCOSWORTH

I wasn't at the last Brentford game but will be at this one, hopefully to see us knock them out. It's strange to think you only have to go back 20 years to when we used to play them in the league every season and now they're an established Premier League side and we're struggling towards the bottom of League Two. When we were in the same division I always saw a lot of similarities between ourselves and Brentford too. They actually won League Two not that long ago, 2008-09, so maybe there's hope for us yet.

Going by what DC said in his pre-match interview I expect Saturday to be the stronger team selection and tonight's squad will involve more fringe players. I'd be surprised if Flanagan makes the squad and I expect Edwards to start and Terry and Thorn to be included.

Hopefully we can take the game to them and have a proper go.

Up the U's!

RS
Many years ago I was at Griffin Park (the ground with a pub on every corner) and I think our phobia about playing ten men was very much to the fore.

Brentford went down to ten men and try as we could we just couldn't score.
Result we lost 1-0 and the Bees celebrated as though they had won the league.

I hope DC plays a strong team because I think we can defeat them.

Certainly Preston knew how to defeat Harrogate last night.

£7k up for grabs with a win tonight

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's
[Post edited 28 Aug 13:15]

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 13:43 - Aug 28 with 1472 viewsDaniel

I have a feeling teams can name up to 9 subs on the bench tonight. Presumably this is to allow them to have both experienced and inexperienced players available depending on how game is playing out.
Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 15:40 - Aug 28 with 1419 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Five blocks now sold out and a number of blocks with less than 20 tickets remaining. Going to be a decent crowd tonight.

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 15:44 - Aug 28 with 1418 viewsRSCOSWORTH

https://www.brentfordfc.com/en/news/article/match-previews-colchester-united-v-b

Fair play to Brentford for this match preview. In depth and with some interesting insight and anecdotes.

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 18:21 - Aug 28 with 1356 viewswessex_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 15:44 - Aug 28 by RSCOSWORTH

https://www.brentfordfc.com/en/news/article/match-previews-colchester-united-v-b

Fair play to Brentford for this match preview. In depth and with some interesting insight and anecdotes.

Very good write-up that - obviously not to Durham's standards, but very respectful and balanced, enjoyed that.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 18:53 - Aug 28 with 1277 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 18:21 - Aug 28 by wessex_exile

Very good write-up that - obviously not to Durham's standards, but very respectful and balanced, enjoyed that.

I agree Wessex fair play to the Bees very good write up.

Team tonight

Macey

Hunt Donnelly Goodliffe Iandolo

Read

Anderson Oni Woodyard

Ihionvien Hopper

Subs
Smith Tovide Payne Gordon Egbo Bendle Edwards Thorn Terry

Up the U's
[Post edited 28 Aug 19:21]

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 19:49 - Aug 28 with 1196 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 18:53 - Aug 28 by durham_exile

I agree Wessex fair play to the Bees very good write up.

Team tonight

Macey

Hunt Donnelly Goodliffe Iandolo

Read

Anderson Oni Woodyard

Ihionvien Hopper

Subs
Smith Tovide Payne Gordon Egbo Bendle Edwards Thorn Terry

Up the U's
[Post edited 28 Aug 19:21]

What a long throw Donnelly has

Amazing

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 20:23 - Aug 28 with 1169 viewsdurham_exile

Brentford almost caught out by the outstanding youngster Donnelly with his long throw.
Hopper should have scored.

We are certainly giving the Bees a good game.

Read and Ihionvien playing well but it the 18 year old Oni who has really caught the eye.

Deservedly level and it could have been even more.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 20:35 - Aug 28 with 1160 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 20:23 - Aug 28 by durham_exile

Brentford almost caught out by the outstanding youngster Donnelly with his long throw.
Hopper should have scored.

We are certainly giving the Bees a good game.

Read and Ihionvien playing well but it the 18 year old Oni who has really caught the eye.

Deservedly level and it could have been even more.

Up the U's

HT
1-0 to the referee.

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 20:41 - Aug 28 with 1146 viewsWitham

I suppose we will get another apology- that was a disgraceful decision- even their players were embarrassed
Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 20:45 - Aug 28 with 1136 viewswessex_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 20:41 - Aug 28 by Witham

I suppose we will get another apology- that was a disgraceful decision- even their players were embarrassed

I'm kind of getting fed up with shite referees, appalling non-decision.

Edit: There'll be a box set of first edition Robert Rankin novels in the referees boot this evening
[Post edited 28 Aug 20:49]

Up the U's

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 20:47 - Aug 28 with 1133 viewsnoah4x4

Got to play to the whistle Durham. Referee didn’t give the free kick and we still had opportunity to clear or block it. But we stood off expecting him to blow. Like v Harrogate, we defend poorly leaving a tap in.

Brentford are cruising this without getting above second gear. 79% possession, far more shots etc. Admittedly we have often hoofed or thrown it into their box, but have posed little real threat.

Great support from the faithful and the many glory hunters that we probably will never see again. Some are probably here expecting a goal fest. Let’s hope they are disappointed.
Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 20:53 - Aug 28 with 1105 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 20:47 - Aug 28 by noah4x4

Got to play to the whistle Durham. Referee didn’t give the free kick and we still had opportunity to clear or block it. But we stood off expecting him to blow. Like v Harrogate, we defend poorly leaving a tap in.

Brentford are cruising this without getting above second gear. 79% possession, far more shots etc. Admittedly we have often hoofed or thrown it into their box, but have posed little real threat.

Great support from the faithful and the many glory hunters that we probably will never see again. Some are probably here expecting a goal fest. Let’s hope they are disappointed.

Very disappointed by the decision which was not deserved

DC has made three subs

Payne for Woodyard
Egbo for Hunt
Gordon for Iandolo

It's only HT

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 20:56 - Aug 28 with 1099 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 20:53 - Aug 28 by durham_exile

Very disappointed by the decision which was not deserved

DC has made three subs

Payne for Woodyard
Egbo for Hunt
Gordon for Iandolo

It's only HT

Up the U's

Milton Oni player of the match without doubt.

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:01 - Aug 28 with 1090 viewswessex_exile

Commentary keeps saying Brentford in black - looks dark green, almost racing green to me, or is that my screen settings?

Up the U's

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:03 - Aug 28 with 1089 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:01 - Aug 28 by wessex_exile

Commentary keeps saying Brentford in black - looks dark green, almost racing green to me, or is that my screen settings?

Wessex I'm not the best person to comment as I'm colour blind.

But it does look black to me!!!!!

Anderson's run then was superb

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:07 - Aug 28 with 1081 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:03 - Aug 28 by durham_exile

Wessex I'm not the best person to comment as I'm colour blind.

But it does look black to me!!!!!

Anderson's run then was superb

Edwards on for Anderson

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:12 - Aug 28 with 1076 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:07 - Aug 28 by durham_exile

Edwards on for Anderson

Tovide on for the excellent Oni.

Milton Oni looks a superb talent.

3,4,3 now for the U's

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:13 - Aug 28 with 1069 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:12 - Aug 28 by durham_exile

Tovide on for the excellent Oni.

Milton Oni looks a superb talent.

3,4,3 now for the U's

Will Lyle Taylor be fit for Accrington I wonder.

We deserve a goal, come on

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:16 - Aug 28 with 1064 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:13 - Aug 28 by durham_exile

Will Lyle Taylor be fit for Accrington I wonder.

We deserve a goal, come on

Come on let's the ball in their box to give the referee a decision to make.

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:26 - Aug 28 with 1053 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:16 - Aug 28 by durham_exile

Come on let's the ball in their box to give the referee a decision to make.

Come on
Oh no Payne misses the penalty

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:28 - Aug 28 with 1047 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:26 - Aug 28 by durham_exile

Come on
Oh no Payne misses the penalty

In truth it was a poor penalty

Come on we need one more chance

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:33 - Aug 28 with 1042 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:28 - Aug 28 by durham_exile

In truth it was a poor penalty

Come on we need one more chance

The old chestnut we do need a striker before Friday

A great shame that Payne missed the pen.

Come on one last push.

There should be 7 additional minutes

Durham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:40 - Aug 28 with 1036 viewsdurham_exile

Bees to be stung by the Super U's at the JCS in the Carabao Cup on 21:33 - Aug 28 by durham_exile

The old chestnut we do need a striker before Friday

A great shame that Payne missed the pen.

Come on one last push.

There should be 7 additional minutes

Fine margins tonight.

We may get one more chance

Egbo has been outstanding tonight

Come on

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024