Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly 23:13 - Aug 30 with 1919 viewsdurham_exile

If a week is a long time in politics it’s an eternity in football. Last Saturday we dominated the game against Harrogate only to lose 1-0 to a sucker punch after a mix up at the back.

On Wednesday night we should have drawn the game and taken our illustrious opponents the Bees to a penalty shoot-out. Two actions determined the result. First the referee failed to award a free kick in the box and Lewis-Potter scored the simplest goal he will ever score. Now you could argue that it wasn’t a foul and that Colchester should have played to the whistle.

Then after a brilliant run from Egbo he was fouled in the box and the reliable Payne chose that moment to take the worst penalty he will ever attempt to convert. Those who decided no foul had been committed would probably say that the referee evened things up for his error in the first half. So instead of a draw and a penalty shootout we lost another game 1-0.

This Saturday DC takes his charges to the Wham Stadium to do battle against Accrington Stanley. Last season someone called Taylor scored a magnificent solo goal after we had been battered for most of the game but the home team couldn’t convert their many chances.

Will our new Taylor perhaps get some minutes and score tomorrow. I am beginning to think that he is no longer a Colchester player and his transfer was all a figment of our imagination. We were told a calf injury had kept him out and when DC was interviewed this week about the game and possible deadline day transfers the silence concerning Taylor was deafening.

When or if he does get some minutes I would imagine he will be covered in cotton wool and will only be allowed the statutory amount of minutes that Macca Bonne was allowed (8).

The Monserrat striker is a player who has years of experience, if fit let us long suffering supporters see him at the Wham Stadium tomorrow if only for a little while.

DC has a decision to make about his team. I am unsure as to whether he has decided on either three or four at the back and then whether we play four or five across the midfield and then either two or three up front.

Let us look at the options.

Goalkeeper is easy, Macey but then what about a three or four ahead of him.
Donnelly almost caught Brentford cold on Wednesday with his delicious long throws. They should have led to at least one goal with a header from Ihionvien (his last action in a U’s shirt unfortunately) and a close range shot from Hopper.

Do Hunt and Iandolo play as conventional full backs or wing backs. Then we have Donnelly, Flanagan, Goodliffe, Kells and Egbo with either three or four of them employed as either a three or a flat back four.

Midfield – Payne, Read, Woodyard and Bishop (we have debated the problem with accommodation all four in the same team). Wingers are either Edwards, Anderson or Gordon.

Then strikers Hopper, Tovide and Taylor (the scarlet pimpernel).

So, who will DC start at the Wham stadium:

I think either 4,1,3,2
Macey
Hunt Goodliffe Flanagan Iandolo
Read
Payne Bishop Woodyard
Tovide Hopper
Subs: Smith, Anderson Edwards Gordon Egbo Terry Kells

OR
Macey
Goodliffe Flanagan Donnelly
Anderson Payne Bishop Woodyard Edwards
Tovide Hopper
Subs: Smith, Hunt Iandolo Gordon Egbo Read Kells

OR
Macey
Goodliffe Flanagan Donnelly
Payne Read Bishop Woodyard
Anderson Tovide Edwards
Subs: Smith, Hunt, Iandolo, Gordon, Egbo, Terry, Hopper

However, I think DC will line up as follows:

Macey

Egbo Goodliffe Flanagan Donnelly Iandolo

Payne Bishop Woodyard

Hopper Tovide

Subs:
Smith Anderson Edwards Gordon Hunt Read Kells

Sadly, it seems that Milton Oni (MOTM) is injured and of course we don’t know about Lyle Taylor.

I hope that this makes DC’s selection problem understandable. DC is possibly still unsure about his best XI.

Stop Press: Bradley Ihionvien has departed for Peterborough. He could have done so much better. They are a poor option for him.

Meanwhile Jamie McDonnell (Midfield) has joined from Nottingham Forest on loan.

Bradleys departure makes the signing of another striker mission critical.

Weather tomorrow at Accrington 19 degrees Celsius and sunny.

Scoreline 2-0 to the Super U’s

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 00:21 - Aug 31 with 1557 viewsdurham_exile

Anthony Scully has signed on loan from Pompey.
Striker age 25.

Too late to play tomorrow.

Up the U:s

Durham_exile

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 08:46 - Aug 31 with 1487 viewsTheOldOakTree

I’m not sure what people expected, Taylor is 34 and he only managed 90 mins of league footy on 6 occasions last season. As far as I know, he had no serious injuries. Out of the total minutes for the whole season, I think he managed to play about one quarter of them and he is now another year older. I’m sure when he’s fit, he will be a great asset, but he was never the full solution.

You can prance around in midfield or central defense in your mid-late thirties but most out-and-out strikers are finished up front by 34 (Yes there are some exceptions). The last thing we need is another old pro dropping back into midfield.

One of DC’s major selling points was that Taylors experience would help develop Bradley! Sniff, sniff, what’s that smell……………
[Post edited 31 Aug 8:53]
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 11:24 - Aug 31 with 1413 viewsMarkyMark47

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 08:46 - Aug 31 by TheOldOakTree

I’m not sure what people expected, Taylor is 34 and he only managed 90 mins of league footy on 6 occasions last season. As far as I know, he had no serious injuries. Out of the total minutes for the whole season, I think he managed to play about one quarter of them and he is now another year older. I’m sure when he’s fit, he will be a great asset, but he was never the full solution.

You can prance around in midfield or central defense in your mid-late thirties but most out-and-out strikers are finished up front by 34 (Yes there are some exceptions). The last thing we need is another old pro dropping back into midfield.

One of DC’s major selling points was that Taylors experience would help develop Bradley! Sniff, sniff, what’s that smell……………
[Post edited 31 Aug 8:53]

Hopefully Taylor can support Tovide in his development. In my opinion Tovide will benefit most as he still looks incredibly raw and lacking in game craft, not to mention the obvious issue with temperament.
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 14:13 - Aug 31 with 1354 viewswessex_exile

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 11:24 - Aug 31 by MarkyMark47

Hopefully Taylor can support Tovide in his development. In my opinion Tovide will benefit most as he still looks incredibly raw and lacking in game craft, not to mention the obvious issue with temperament.

Good news that Lyle Taylor has made the bench - I'd expect to see him at some point come on, but hopefully we won't need him by then

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 14:39 - Aug 31 with 1342 viewsdurham_exile

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 14:13 - Aug 31 by wessex_exile

Good news that Lyle Taylor has made the bench - I'd expect to see him at some point come on, but hopefully we won't need him by then

Red hot in Accrington

And Lyle Lyle Crocodile aka Taylor is on the bench.

Also their pies are the best on the league

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 14:46 - Aug 31 with 1334 viewsdurham_exile

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 14:39 - Aug 31 by durham_exile

Red hot in Accrington

And Lyle Lyle Crocodile aka Taylor is on the bench.

Also their pies are the best on the league

Up the U's

Starting XI

Macey

Hunt Egbo Flanagan Iandolo

Gordon Bishop Woodyard Payne

Tovide Hopper

Sub
Smith Goodliffe Anderson Read Edwards Donnelly Taylor

Durham_exile

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 14:48 - Aug 31 with 1329 viewsTheOldOakTree

Cracking camera work on iFollow at the moment, pre-match, panning around the stands. Good to see many of the faithful enjoying the sunshine.

Wishing I was there.

Allez les U's
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 15:20 - Aug 31 with 1310 viewsTheOldOakTree

Is that Durham modelling the latest in home shirts?
Login to get fewer ads

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 15:27 - Aug 31 with 1304 viewsTheOldOakTree

1-0 Far to easy for Stanley.

We are letting them create chances way too easy.
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 15:28 - Aug 31 with 1301 viewsburnsieespana

Oh no, one down.
This is the sort of game we need to be getting a result from
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 15:45 - Aug 31 with 1286 viewsTheOldOakTree

A lot of work for DC to do at half time, we're second best in too many parts of the pitch.
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 15:53 - Aug 31 with 1270 viewsMarkyMark47

I've lost count of how many times we've passed back to our keeper
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 15:54 - Aug 31 with 1265 viewsgerry_us

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 15:20 - Aug 31 by TheOldOakTree

Almost certainly will be Durham who is always up to date on shirts...but modelling? Durham?
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 16:02 - Aug 31 with 1240 viewsdurham_exile

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 15:20 - Aug 31 by TheOldOakTree

TOOT
I wouldn't say modelling but I am wearing the new home shirt

I also have the black away.

Hunt should go off and Hopper.

Taylor and Goodliffe or Donnelly to replace them begiben the Egbo must be given the ball

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 16:04 - Aug 31 with 1239 viewsTheOldOakTree

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 16:02 - Aug 31 by durham_exile

TOOT
I wouldn't say modelling but I am wearing the new home shirt

I also have the black away.

Hunt should go off and Hopper.

Taylor and Goodliffe or Donnelly to replace them begiben the Egbo must be given the ball

Up the U's

DC taking your advice!
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 16:44 - Aug 31 with 1190 viewsTheOldOakTree

Yes 1-1 Ben Goodliffe at the back post, from a ridiculously tight angle.
[Post edited 31 Aug 16:56]
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 17:01 - Aug 31 with 1139 viewsTheOldOakTree

Lucky to hold on to the draw, Stanley missed two late chances. Looked better second half, but I think that was more because Stanley looked happy with 1-0.

Guess it was some racist abuse aimed at Samson that caused the big delay. The Stanley chief steward's body language suggested to me that he didn't give a shit. Perhaps didn't help that he looked like one of Tommys boys.
[Post edited 31 Aug 17:03]
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 17:05 - Aug 31 with 1102 viewsCrashBandicoot

If we're playing badly and getting a draw that is kind of progress - clouds & silver linings and all that. It would be much better if we were playing badly and winning though.

As far as the racist language goes, that will be recorded on the clubs cctv (if indeed they have any) and hopefully the perps will be looking at a conviction and a long ban from grounds.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 17:20 - Aug 31 with 1060 viewswessex_exile

Definitely take a point from a poor scrappy game that we were second best in for long parts of. At least we picked things up second half.

Up the U's

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 17:27 - Aug 31 with 1050 viewsMarkyMark47

I think Read should start the next game. Not sure why he didn't today.
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 17:28 - Aug 31 with 1047 viewsWitham

The racist chanting was audible on the BBC Essex commentary
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 17:32 - Aug 31 with 1039 viewsMarkyMark47

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 17:27 - Aug 31 by MarkyMark47

I think Read should start the next game. Not sure why he didn't today.

Edwards also looked lively - always looked more capable of getting to the byline and crossing that Gordon. He should also start against Bromley.
Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 17:44 - Aug 31 with 1026 viewswessex_exile

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 17:28 - Aug 31 by Witham

The racist chanting was audible on the BBC Essex commentary

The club have reported it to the FA - as TOOT said, I'm pretty sure Samson had already told the referee the first time it was heard (first half?). I don't recall hearing an announcement from the Accrington Stanley PA though - maybe they're fine with it?

Up the U's

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 17:57 - Aug 31 with 980 viewsMoor_Pinot

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 17:32 - Aug 31 by MarkyMark47

Edwards also looked lively - always looked more capable of getting to the byline and crossing that Gordon. He should also start against Bromley.

Yep, good call.
We were poor against a poor side so I'll gladly take a point and sit mid table. It's early yet with a lot of newness for management to bed in. Mid table is probably the best I'm hoping for but I do see more resolve than in the last couple of seasons so maybe as things settle we'll all worry less about the bottom half of the table. We're all sick of that.
What a find is Goodliffe - he's only played about fifty minutes for us, had his head rearranged lost some teeth, spent time in hospital and is a centre back yet he's scored three goals in less minutes than our strikeforce (!) have collectively. When did we last have a toughie like that? He can stay.

Moor Pinot

Accrington Stanley, who are they - exactly on 21:36 - Aug 31 with 763 viewsburnsieespana

Surely Read should start as he did very well with the first shot but we'll done to Goddliffe squeezing in his shot.
Was he not originally a forward before being converted to a central defender?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024