Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meridian Pull Challenge 21:02 - Jun 23 with 1249 viewswessex_exile

Dear U'suals

Over the years I have been humbled by the incredible generosity shown by Col U fans towards so many fantastic causes, and not least my personal pleas for sponsorship donations on behalf of (amongst others) Cancer Research, the British Heart Foundation, Oxfam and the Gurkha Welfare Trust.

Next Wednesday (28th June), a team of six colleagues are entering the Meridian Pull, an 8.5 mile row on the River Thames from Battersea, past the Houses of Parliament, through the centre of London, under Tower Bridge and finishing at Greenwich. I'm providing much-needed support, and we are raising funds for the AHOY Centre (who organise the event, and where the race ends). The AHOY Centre run courses and training programmes to help disadvantaged children, young vulnerable people and those with disabilities gain qualifications and essential life skills needed for employment - a cause that many of you may know is very important on a personal level.

The AHOY Centre may not be a big name charity, but I was there with our team yesterday evening for their final training session, and I could see first-hand just what a fantastic job they are doing. I could also see just how much difference even small change will make to the incredible work they do.

There's a link below for donations, and thanks for anything you can spare - you are all beautiful people!

https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/wessexarchaeology

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Meridian Pull Challenge on 01:48 - Jun 28 with 1161 viewswessex_exile

Whales, you're a star sir!! Event is tomorrow, so I'll endeavour to post a progress report.

Up the U's

Meridian Pull Challenge on 21:48 - Jun 28 with 1135 viewsnoah4x4

A Bung from me too Wessex.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2017 21:49]
Meridian Pull Challenge on 20:45 - Jun 29 with 1102 viewswessex_exile

Meridian Pull Challenge on 21:48 - Jun 28 by noah4x4

A Bung from me too Wessex.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2017 21:49]

Just seen it - many thanks Noah, and Pinault too...and indeed anyone else who may have donated anonymously. With another £500 guaranteed from one of our corporate sponsors (we like to extract money with menaces from our brilliant supply chain), we have now raised £1,850 and counting for the AHOY Centre. If all the other teams yesterday at least match that, we have raised best part of £10k for them in one night - not bad going I reckon, so give yourselves a huge oar-like slap on the back!

Thanks to the usual M3 roadwork shenanigans, we didn't get back until 1am this morning, so as an update today - our team found themselves one oar down before even starting due to some "H&S gone mad" red tape. Actually, to be fair, it was a thoroughly understandable rule that all competitors had to attend the pre-challenge official training session beforehand, just a rule we weren't aware of when Oarsman #6 rocked up yesterday to take part. Still, one less in the boat meant one more in my support team racing through the streets of London (including one red light - whoops) capturing photos and posting twitter, facebook, instagram etc. updates as the race developed.

Despite being an oar down, and a forced stop (for our team and no one else) to avoid collision with a boat crossing the Thames at (I think) Westminster Bridge, our team did magnificently on the 8.5 mile row from Battersea to the AHOY Centre at Deptford. As the teams passed under Tower Bridge (the last bridge before the finish line) we were still winning, but sadly, in the final 3.5 mile sprint from there to the line, we were overtaken by a very fit bunch of (six!) lads, who won by just 30 seconds. I say sadly, but no one was sad, because our team had performed heroically, came within a gnats' nadger of winning despite the various setbacks, and in a very commendable time of 54m 46s - very proud of them all!

There's a link below to our website blog below, which includes a link to the donation page should anyone be moved to chip a bit more into the kitty to support the fantastic work that the AHOY Centre do - many thanks to you all!

http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/blogs/news/2017/06/29/taking-thames-ahoy-centre

Up the U's

Meridian Pull Challenge on 21:18 - Jun 29 with 1098 viewsLeadbelly

Meridian Pull Challenge on 20:45 - Jun 29 by wessex_exile

Just seen it - many thanks Noah, and Pinault too...and indeed anyone else who may have donated anonymously. With another £500 guaranteed from one of our corporate sponsors (we like to extract money with menaces from our brilliant supply chain), we have now raised £1,850 and counting for the AHOY Centre. If all the other teams yesterday at least match that, we have raised best part of £10k for them in one night - not bad going I reckon, so give yourselves a huge oar-like slap on the back!

Thanks to the usual M3 roadwork shenanigans, we didn't get back until 1am this morning, so as an update today - our team found themselves one oar down before even starting due to some "H&S gone mad" red tape. Actually, to be fair, it was a thoroughly understandable rule that all competitors had to attend the pre-challenge official training session beforehand, just a rule we weren't aware of when Oarsman #6 rocked up yesterday to take part. Still, one less in the boat meant one more in my support team racing through the streets of London (including one red light - whoops) capturing photos and posting twitter, facebook, instagram etc. updates as the race developed.

Despite being an oar down, and a forced stop (for our team and no one else) to avoid collision with a boat crossing the Thames at (I think) Westminster Bridge, our team did magnificently on the 8.5 mile row from Battersea to the AHOY Centre at Deptford. As the teams passed under Tower Bridge (the last bridge before the finish line) we were still winning, but sadly, in the final 3.5 mile sprint from there to the line, we were overtaken by a very fit bunch of (six!) lads, who won by just 30 seconds. I say sadly, but no one was sad, because our team had performed heroically, came within a gnats' nadger of winning despite the various setbacks, and in a very commendable time of 54m 46s - very proud of them all!

There's a link below to our website blog below, which includes a link to the donation page should anyone be moved to chip a bit more into the kitty to support the fantastic work that the AHOY Centre do - many thanks to you all!

http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/blogs/news/2017/06/29/taking-thames-ahoy-centre

Well done to everyone involved. And I'd much rather row 8.5 miles along the Thames than try to drive the same distance alongside the river. Chapeau!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Meridian Pull Challenge on 22:59 - Jun 29 with 1081 viewsnoah4x4

Meridian Pull Challenge on 21:18 - Jun 29 by Leadbelly

Well done to everyone involved. And I'd much rather row 8.5 miles along the Thames than try to drive the same distance alongside the river. Chapeau!

Both options better than swimming it!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024