Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cefn Druids next up for Super U's 10:21 - Jul 12 with 877 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester are currently on an annual 4-day training Camp in Chester which they started in 2016. The facilities allow team bonding and it provides an ideal opportunity to meet ahead of Open Day on Sunday.

Next up is the Pre-Season Friendly against Welsh Premier League side Cefn Druids who play at the Rock in the village of Cefn-mawr near Wrexham. They are the oldest football club in Wales dating back to 1872 and last season finished 10th in the league thus preserving their Premier League status.

The ground is relatively new and has been their home since 2010. It houses 2,500 people of which 500 are seated. The location is picturesque, and the surface is artificial 3G which we have played on before and will bring its own challenges. Don't forget kick off is at 1pm Saturday. Admission £5 and free car parking.

I am going and my youngest son has agreed to accompany me. It will afford the opportunity to see most if not all of the new signings and should be a challenging run out for the team.

Ethan Ross
Ryan Jackson
Omar Sowunmi
Luke Prosser
Ryan Clampin
Brandon Comley
Ben Stevenson
Courtney Senior
Noah Chilvers
Michael Fernandes
Frank Nouble

Dillon Barnes
Bailey Vose
Cameron James
Ollie Kensdale
Tom Eastman
Kane Vincent-Young
Tom Lapslie
Andre Hasanally
Luke Gambin
Dean Ager
Chuck Norris
Louis Dunne
Jevani Brown
Paris Cowan-Hall
Danny Collinge
Matthew Weaire
Harry Pell
Diaz Wright
Todd Miller

JM will be thinking about his starting XI for the Ipswich and Charlton games and Saturday may offer some clues to a possible starting XI for Port Vale only three weeks away now.

Possible starting XI 4-3-3 v Port Vale

Ross

Jackson Eastman Sowunmi Vincent-Young

Lapslie Pell Stevenson

Brown Nouble Cowan-Hall

Subs:

Reserve GK, Prosser, James, Senior, Gambin, Fernandes, Norris

The weather is set to be 20 degrees Celsius and mainly sunny with some cloudy intervals. Anyway, safe journey to the travelling faithful and enjoy the game.

UTU’s

Durham_exile

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 15:49 - Jul 13 with 817 viewsBlue4U2

Maybe need to put Gerken down as No 1 keeper??
Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 15:53 - Jul 13 with 814 viewsburnsieespana

Given our keeper options I ask 'do we need Barnes' particularly as he has yet to sign a new contract.
Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 16:18 - Jul 13 with 813 viewswessex_exile

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 15:53 - Jul 13 by burnsieespana

Given our keeper options I ask 'do we need Barnes' particularly as he has yet to sign a new contract.

To be fair to Barnes, he may well have been waiting to see if we did sign Gerken (or another 'keeper)? Now we look like we're going to, might he fancy his chances of being no. 1 elsewhere? I wouldn't hold it against him if he did.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 17:03 - Jul 13 with 808 viewsgerry_us

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 16:18 - Jul 13 by wessex_exile

To be fair to Barnes, he may well have been waiting to see if we did sign Gerken (or another 'keeper)? Now we look like we're going to, might he fancy his chances of being no. 1 elsewhere? I wouldn't hold it against him if he did.

Be interesting to see who would make him No.1!
Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 17:38 - Jul 13 with 801 viewswessex_exile

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 17:03 - Jul 13 by gerry_us

Be interesting to see who would make him No.1!

Think he'd have to drop a division or two, but I don't think it would do his career too much harm if it allows him to develop and mature. Alternatively, stay with the U's (I'm okay with that) and go out on loan for more game time?

Up the U's

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 17:57 - Jul 13 with 795 viewsblueeagle

3-0 to the U's
Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 18:36 - Jul 13 with 790 viewsLeadbelly

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 16:18 - Jul 13 by wessex_exile

Gerken signing now confirmed, subject to paperwork when last I checked.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 21:10 - Jul 13 with 766 viewswessex_exile

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 18:36 - Jul 13 by Leadbelly

Gerken signing now confirmed, subject to paperwork when last I checked.

Yep, that was my point, not a done deal until the paperwork is signed. Provided the ox cart from Suffolk can get to us in time, should be good :-)

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 21:12 - Jul 13 with 764 viewsdurham_exile

Today my son and I travelled the 155 miles from Durham to the Cefn Druids stadium in North Wales. It was an excellent day weather-wise and both journeys were achieved without fuss and delay free.

The Ground is not far from Wrexham and lies in the village of Cefn Mawr. The previous ground is now the home of a Tesco superstore , whilst the Rock Stadium is picturesque with an impressive natural ancient stone wall forming a backdrop on the opposite side to the main stand whilst the ability to walk around the ground is reminiscent of the good old days at Layer Road!

Car parking was free, and Admission was only £5. There were about 25 Colchester supporters in a crowd of about 100 and the weather was kind with some very warm sunny intervals and some cloud cover. Temperature was 20 degrees Celsius.

The 3G artificial pitch allowed the ball to be played on the deck and players and goalkeepers alike didn’t show any ill effects when they took a tumble or dived to make a save.

Only gripe pre match was the Jolly Masons, the local pub was not serving food because it is under new management and the Kitchen is subject to refurbishment by the brewery. We repaired to a local café for decent fare at a reasonable price.

JM was mingling with supporters before kick off and the players seemed relaxed and after their four days away at Carden park near Chester. We received a very warm welcome from the time we arrived at the ground. The Car parking steward made us welcome and although living in Prestatyn, originally hails from Exeter where he is one of the supporters who collectively own the club. He was impressed that we too are Exiled supporters.

Equally warm reception from the gate and inside the stadium. It was a very friendly place, and everyone made us all welcome.

Harry Pell was present but didn’t play any part in the action today. The players sported the Camo Away kit, but tomorrow will be wearing the new blue kit without stripes! Sadly, there were no names and numbers on the shirts or shorts which made it difficult to readily identify all the new signings. That will be rectified in three weeks’ time!!!

Dean Gerken had been training with the squad and lined up with the team for the first half. He has signed on a free transfer after being released by the Tractor Boys.

1st half team:

Gerken

Jackson Kensdale Eastman Ager

Brown Hasanally Comley Gambin Cowan-Hall

Nouble

Colchester were ahead after only two minutes after Andre Hasanally volleyed home after good work from Jackson, Brown and Cowan-Hall.

Jackson and Eastman stood out for the U’s whilst Brown, Hasanally and Cowan -Brown were lively. Big Frank Nouble struggled to stay onside but put in a shift in the warm conditions.

Gerken made three useful saves and one saved a certain goal when the score was only 1-0. Cefn Druids also known as the Ancients were struggling in the heat but apart from some meaty challenges tried to keep pace and play the ball out from the back.

It was strange to see the other unused players sitting alongside the touchline and with about 10 minutes of the first half to go they all walked around to the dugouts which are positioned on the opposite side to the main stand.

At half time the players prepared themselves for wholesale changes and JM made 10 changes with only Cowan-Hall staying on the 90 minutes.

2nd half team:

Ross

Sowunmi Prosser James

Vincent-Young Lapslie Stevenson Fernandes Chilvers

Norris Cowan-Hall

As with the first half Colchester bossed possession and looked lively. I think that the team had a better balance second half and were more creative going forward.

Omar Sowunmi is a man mountain (a Magnus Okuonghae but with mobility and pace) and will do very well this season. He commanded at the back and was impressive carrying the ball forward and scored an excellent header on 60 minutes.

Cameron James played in the left back position in a back three which allowed Vincent-Young to play right half and get forward at will.

Ben Stevenson looked fit and hungry to play and more like the player we wanted to see last season. Chuck Norris looked fitter and leaner than last time I saw him, and he weighed in with a deft headed goal after 85 minutes.

So, 3-0 at full time. As we know preseason games are never an accurate test for the season ahead but there was a real team spirit evident amongst the players.

There was a brief meeting of squad and officials at the end of the game before the players retired to the changing rooms. The announcer on the tannoy wished Colchester well for the season and the supporters a good journey home.

On the way out of the ground I stopped to wish JM and the team all the best for the season. He thanked us for coming and said the players appreciated the support.

My son Stuart reminded me that I had called for JM’s head last season. Clearly, I had selective memory loss after watching today’s game. I suppose that last season is now consigned to the memory books and we look forward to challenging for automatic promotion this.

I will be watching closely to see what the team line up is for Ipswich and Charlton which will go a long way to suggesting the first team line up for Port Vale in three weeks’ time.

UTU’s

Durham_exile

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 21:13 - Jul 13 with 763 viewsLeadbelly

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 21:10 - Jul 13 by wessex_exile

Yep, that was my point, not a done deal until the paperwork is signed. Provided the ox cart from Suffolk can get to us in time, should be good :-)

Long delay possible while they search for someone in Ipswich who can read and write.

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 21:15 - Jul 13 with 762 viewsLeadbelly

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 21:13 - Jul 13 by Leadbelly

Long delay possible while they search for someone in Ipswich who can read and write.

Awaiting ratification according to BBC website

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 01:00 - Jul 15 with 679 viewsghughes11

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 21:12 - Jul 13 by durham_exile

Today my son and I travelled the 155 miles from Durham to the Cefn Druids stadium in North Wales. It was an excellent day weather-wise and both journeys were achieved without fuss and delay free.

The Ground is not far from Wrexham and lies in the village of Cefn Mawr. The previous ground is now the home of a Tesco superstore , whilst the Rock Stadium is picturesque with an impressive natural ancient stone wall forming a backdrop on the opposite side to the main stand whilst the ability to walk around the ground is reminiscent of the good old days at Layer Road!

Car parking was free, and Admission was only £5. There were about 25 Colchester supporters in a crowd of about 100 and the weather was kind with some very warm sunny intervals and some cloud cover. Temperature was 20 degrees Celsius.

The 3G artificial pitch allowed the ball to be played on the deck and players and goalkeepers alike didn’t show any ill effects when they took a tumble or dived to make a save.

Only gripe pre match was the Jolly Masons, the local pub was not serving food because it is under new management and the Kitchen is subject to refurbishment by the brewery. We repaired to a local café for decent fare at a reasonable price.

JM was mingling with supporters before kick off and the players seemed relaxed and after their four days away at Carden park near Chester. We received a very warm welcome from the time we arrived at the ground. The Car parking steward made us welcome and although living in Prestatyn, originally hails from Exeter where he is one of the supporters who collectively own the club. He was impressed that we too are Exiled supporters.

Equally warm reception from the gate and inside the stadium. It was a very friendly place, and everyone made us all welcome.

Harry Pell was present but didn’t play any part in the action today. The players sported the Camo Away kit, but tomorrow will be wearing the new blue kit without stripes! Sadly, there were no names and numbers on the shirts or shorts which made it difficult to readily identify all the new signings. That will be rectified in three weeks’ time!!!

Dean Gerken had been training with the squad and lined up with the team for the first half. He has signed on a free transfer after being released by the Tractor Boys.

1st half team:

Gerken

Jackson Kensdale Eastman Ager

Brown Hasanally Comley Gambin Cowan-Hall

Nouble

Colchester were ahead after only two minutes after Andre Hasanally volleyed home after good work from Jackson, Brown and Cowan-Hall.

Jackson and Eastman stood out for the U’s whilst Brown, Hasanally and Cowan -Brown were lively. Big Frank Nouble struggled to stay onside but put in a shift in the warm conditions.

Gerken made three useful saves and one saved a certain goal when the score was only 1-0. Cefn Druids also known as the Ancients were struggling in the heat but apart from some meaty challenges tried to keep pace and play the ball out from the back.

It was strange to see the other unused players sitting alongside the touchline and with about 10 minutes of the first half to go they all walked around to the dugouts which are positioned on the opposite side to the main stand.

At half time the players prepared themselves for wholesale changes and JM made 10 changes with only Cowan-Hall staying on the 90 minutes.

2nd half team:

Ross

Sowunmi Prosser James

Vincent-Young Lapslie Stevenson Fernandes Chilvers

Norris Cowan-Hall

As with the first half Colchester bossed possession and looked lively. I think that the team had a better balance second half and were more creative going forward.

Omar Sowunmi is a man mountain (a Magnus Okuonghae but with mobility and pace) and will do very well this season. He commanded at the back and was impressive carrying the ball forward and scored an excellent header on 60 minutes.

Cameron James played in the left back position in a back three which allowed Vincent-Young to play right half and get forward at will.

Ben Stevenson looked fit and hungry to play and more like the player we wanted to see last season. Chuck Norris looked fitter and leaner than last time I saw him, and he weighed in with a deft headed goal after 85 minutes.

So, 3-0 at full time. As we know preseason games are never an accurate test for the season ahead but there was a real team spirit evident amongst the players.

There was a brief meeting of squad and officials at the end of the game before the players retired to the changing rooms. The announcer on the tannoy wished Colchester well for the season and the supporters a good journey home.

On the way out of the ground I stopped to wish JM and the team all the best for the season. He thanked us for coming and said the players appreciated the support.

My son Stuart reminded me that I had called for JM’s head last season. Clearly, I had selective memory loss after watching today’s game. I suppose that last season is now consigned to the memory books and we look forward to challenging for automatic promotion this.

I will be watching closely to see what the team line up is for Ipswich and Charlton which will go a long way to suggesting the first team line up for Port Vale in three weeks’ time.

UTU’s

Thanks for the preview and review, as per normal Durham

It will be interesting to see how we line up versus Port Vale.

I also like to compare the starting line up from the first game to the last game of the season.

Last season we started away vs Notts County with the following team:

3-4-2-1
Barnes
Eastman
Prosser
Kent
Jackson
Pell
Lapslie
Dickenson
Szmodics
Collins
Nouble

and then finished the season away vs Lincoln:

4-2-3-1
Ross
Jackson
Eastman
Kent
Dickenson
Lapslie
Saunders
Mandron
Szmodics
Senior
Nouble

My team so far would be:

4-2-3-1
Gerken
Jackson
Eastman
Sowunmi
Vincent Young
Lapslie
Stevenson
Senior
Brown
Cowan-Hall
Nouble

And this is just from reports read and guesswork!

Here's to the new season and plenty of ups and downs, as per normal. With hopefully a lot more ups and a promotion at the end of it!

Up the U's!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 10:17 - Jul 15 with 647 viewsdurham_exile

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 01:00 - Jul 15 by ghughes11

Thanks for the preview and review, as per normal Durham

It will be interesting to see how we line up versus Port Vale.

I also like to compare the starting line up from the first game to the last game of the season.

Last season we started away vs Notts County with the following team:

3-4-2-1
Barnes
Eastman
Prosser
Kent
Jackson
Pell
Lapslie
Dickenson
Szmodics
Collins
Nouble

and then finished the season away vs Lincoln:

4-2-3-1
Ross
Jackson
Eastman
Kent
Dickenson
Lapslie
Saunders
Mandron
Szmodics
Senior
Nouble

My team so far would be:

4-2-3-1
Gerken
Jackson
Eastman
Sowunmi
Vincent Young
Lapslie
Stevenson
Senior
Brown
Cowan-Hall
Nouble

And this is just from reports read and guesswork!

Here's to the new season and plenty of ups and downs, as per normal. With hopefully a lot more ups and a promotion at the end of it!

Up the U's!

GHughes some interesting facts there concerning last season, especially the start and finish teams.

I was able to go to both the Notts County and Lincoln games. Looking back now we should have won at Meadow Lane (Eastman hit the bar and Collins slipped in the box with the goal at his mercy). Still supporters will point to any one of 17 games where we should have won and didn't.

The Lincoln game was one of the most one sided encounters, where they were entirely outplayed and we saw the very best from Szmodics and several of the players including Dickenson and Ross.

I note your only changes from my XI are Senior instead of Pell and Gerken instead of Ross.

I think if fit Pell must play and I think you will be right, JM will make Gerken Number One even though I like the potential shown by Ross.

Ipswich and Charlton will give a real clue as to JM's thoughts for the starting XI.

The youngster Andre Hasanally is going to have a bright future.
Yet to see Danny Collinge, Matthew Weaire, Diaz Wright and Todd Miler plus Louis Dunne but all the new players looked sharp. I think Sowunmi will become a fans favourite without doubt.

Finally I know I keep banging on about it but if we could sign a new striker then he would get the service from Brown and Cowan-Hall. Big Frank needs support and so does Chuck Norris. Kane Hemmings is still available from Notts County, he knows where the back of the net is!!!!!

Enjoy the season.

UTU's
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 10:21]

Durham_exile

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 18:34 - Jul 15 with 616 viewswessex_exile

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 10:17 - Jul 15 by durham_exile

GHughes some interesting facts there concerning last season, especially the start and finish teams.

I was able to go to both the Notts County and Lincoln games. Looking back now we should have won at Meadow Lane (Eastman hit the bar and Collins slipped in the box with the goal at his mercy). Still supporters will point to any one of 17 games where we should have won and didn't.

The Lincoln game was one of the most one sided encounters, where they were entirely outplayed and we saw the very best from Szmodics and several of the players including Dickenson and Ross.

I note your only changes from my XI are Senior instead of Pell and Gerken instead of Ross.

I think if fit Pell must play and I think you will be right, JM will make Gerken Number One even though I like the potential shown by Ross.

Ipswich and Charlton will give a real clue as to JM's thoughts for the starting XI.

The youngster Andre Hasanally is going to have a bright future.
Yet to see Danny Collinge, Matthew Weaire, Diaz Wright and Todd Miler plus Louis Dunne but all the new players looked sharp. I think Sowunmi will become a fans favourite without doubt.

Finally I know I keep banging on about it but if we could sign a new striker then he would get the service from Brown and Cowan-Hall. Big Frank needs support and so does Chuck Norris. Kane Hemmings is still available from Notts County, he knows where the back of the net is!!!!!

Enjoy the season.

UTU's
[Post edited 15 Jul 2019 10:21]

As exciting as it was finding out about the goals going in at Sincil Bank, I was never under illusions that we were playing a team who had comfortably won the league already. If their minds weren't already on the metaphorical beach, I'm sure they were at least on the metaphorical open-top bus parade through the city...

Up the U's

Cefn Druids next up for Super U's on 21:34 - Jul 15 with 597 viewsghughes11

I left Pell out due to his injuries, but yeah, when fit he should definitely start.
But then who drops out? Stevenson is arguably the best passer and most composed of the midfielders. Lapslie is a must for away games due to his break up play and all round dynamism.
If you start all three in a 3-5-2, then you could look at Nouble and Norris up front, but then no room for Senior, Jevani Brown and Paris Cowan-Hall!
Looks like some good strength in depth, but I think I said that last season and look what happened in midfield.
Will certainly be an interesting season. A big one for Senior I reckon, with the departure of Szmodics.
I watched all of last season via iPlayer. I will try and give more of my opinions based on my viewings, although not the same as being there!

C'mon Col U!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024