Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Millers Tale 08:40 - Jul 21 with 783 viewsbwildered

Youngest debutant for the U's, Todd Miller has signed for the Seagulls.

U's Director of Football Tony Humes had mixed feelings about the news, explaining: "I'm torn between being delighted for Todd and disappointed we won't see more of him in a U's shirt."

"The element of disappointment is there because we want to develop our players and see them progress into the first team here in north Essex, that's the main aim of the Academy."

"But when a young player gets an opportunity to be at a Premier League side and feels that step is best for him, there's no way we would stand in his way and we all wish him the best of luck.

Could this become a worrying trend of academy players to jump first team football for a better step in development at PL level .
No detail of the transfer, do we get extras, upon appearances etc .
Was he just better than the rest within the club ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

A Millers Tale on 10:19 - Jul 21 with 764 viewsGOSBTS

From a Brighton perspective, I hope for Todd that he does well with us. We have excellent facilities for the youth players these days. My only fear for him is that despite our fantastic facilities, the number of youth players who break into the first team squad have been few and far between for some time now. Solly March and Lewis Dunk are the only ones to have done so, and whilst they have been very successful, few others have even come close to the match day squad. Gyokeres and Connolly warmed the bench a couple of times under Hughton, but never were given any significant minutes. Most of our youth prospects end up going on loan to League One and Two sides, which would be a sideways step for Todd in many ways seeing as he's already had some minutes of League Two action.

However, under Graham Potter this may change and apparently he is keen on bringing youth players through - hopefully a good sign for Miller.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2019 10:19]
A Millers Tale on 10:50 - Jul 21 with 751 viewswessex_exile

Cheers GOSBTS, hope Todd does well for you, and that Brighton look after him too. With regard to our academy, and developing 1st team players, I guess this is one of the situations we have very little control over: we can't compete financially with whatever Brighton might have offered, and let's be honest, even if we could if you're a teenager with aspirations to become a professional footballer, and a Premier League side comes in for you, you're going to take the chance aren't you? We will have received a compensation payment agreed between the two clubs, and others have speculated elsewhere that could be anything between £75-150k. Personally, I'd reckon the top end of that range, which isn't bad for a young lad with very little league experience.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

A Millers Tale on 11:24 - Jul 21 with 743 viewsburnsieespana

Cat 2 academy clubs like us and Ipswich are always vulnerable to the very best being snapped up and lured away by Premiership clubs.
I am sure compensation rules are set for these situations although with him having taken part in one game might give us an edge.
A Millers Tale on 14:45 - Jul 21 with 723 viewsdurham_exile

Highly thought of and clearly a young starlet.
Impossible to tell from a cameo role at Exeter especially on a day when we were woeful but he showed obvious talent in those few minutes.

Brighton could have an ace in the pack.

Any promising young striker who could move in the opposite direction I wonder.

UTU's

Durham_exile

A Millers Tale on 22:11 - Jul 22 with 659 viewsGOSBTS

Well, it’s the second bit of business Albion and the U’s have done this summer so I’m hoping this is the beginning of a good transfer relationship.

Aaron Connolly would be one who springs to mind. Scored plenty of goals in the PL2 last season before joining Luton on loan and getting injured. Not sure if he’s part of Potter’s first team plans for us this season but if not, he’d be a good signing to pair with big Frank up top.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2019 22:12]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024