Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS 23:05 - Nov 8 with 1483 viewsdurham_exile

This season is already a bit special for Colchester United, but it has the ability to get even better. Tomorrow we play one of the better teams in League One, who are currently sixth with a realistic chance of promotion under boss Mark Robins. The prospect of a £36K pay day in the FA Cup First Round is an attractive one with potential progress in the EFL Trophy and the Carabao Cup to come in the next few days.

Now I must declare an absolute loathing of Coventry City ever since the 1-1 draw at Highfield Road in 2004 when my youngest son was hit by a missile thrown by one of the Coventry hooligans when we scored against them. The heavy circular metal object was thrown from the so-called Coventry supporters and hit the back of the seat before cracking him on the back of the head.

I was enraged and went to the Police and also asked for a medic to examine my son. I registered a formal complaint with the Police and subsequently wrote to the Chairman of Coventry City, receiving a letter of apology in due course. Although we deservedly won the replay at Layer Road, the shine was well and truly taken off the victory by this mindless act of thuggery.

We move on of course and I have since been to the Ricoh to see Colchester secure a victory and a draw since 2013. In fact, our recent record against the Sky Blues is not bad. Make no mistake this will be difficult, but we have home advantage and our recent form is superb.

This will also be a test of our ability to compete against higher league opposition in a season where we have excelled in the Cup competitions.

A decent crowd should be installed at the JobServe Community Stadium (5,000) to watch in the rain although light showers and some sunny intervals with 9 degrees Celsius is the order of the day.

Regardless of Coventry City’s striking difficulties with Max Biamou sent off last week and facing a three-match ban, they have enough strength in depth to offer a real challenge tomorrow and so we must prepare for a tough game. Ben Stevenson is likely to be targeted by his former club and he will need to be fully focused to avoid any shenanigans from the Sky Blues.

All the pressure is on Coventry, they are losing money with their ground sharing arrangement at St Andrews and Robins has already identified that he will making changes as a result of his lack of strikers, but they have midfield players in abundance.

JM has already hinted at possible changes by utilising his squad to the full with a myriad of games coming up including that game at Old Trafford. Chuck Norris could return, and Harry Pell must also get some game time tomorrow. I suspect he will not start however but could get 30 minutes of the second half.

The news that the Bradford City game is to be rearranged as a result of our three players on International duty is a sensible one. Comley, Gambin and Harriott would all have played some part against the Bantams and so rearranging the game is the most sensible option.

Back to tomorrow, I suspect that JM will play the following:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Comley Stevenson Harriott

Senior Poku

Nouble

Subs:
Ross Sowunmi Brown Norris Lapslie Pell Gambin

I predict the U’s to prevail in a tight game possibly 3-2. Norris, Pell and Gambin are likely to be the three subs utilised during the game.

Cameron James has joined Maidstone United on loan to give him valuable game time. There is no word on Junior’s return from Derry, but it is imminent.

Yes, these are exciting times to be a Colchester supporter and we should fully embrace this great form and enjoy the forthcoming fixtures.

Enjoy the game tomorrow.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 08:28 - Nov 9 with 1162 viewsGOSBTS

Great preview as ever Durham. Very sorry to hear about the incident with your son at Highfield Road. I do hope he was okay and there was no lasting damage. Did they identify the person who threw the missile? I have been on the Sky Blues message board this week and they were still lamenting a small faction of their fan base who are hooligans. Hopefully this element won’t be coming to the JobServe today.

They don’t seem very confident at all on their forums and seem disillusioned by a whole array of matters with the club, from their impotence in front of goal to their stadium issues. Really hope McGreal puts out our strongest team as our schedule for November is incredibly light.

Very excited for this one. Sadly ticket sales don’t look brilliant. Coventry have sold around 600 tickets which is rather light considering they usually travel in excellent number. Hopefully sales on the gates today will be high and the overall attendance will be good. I too hope for a 3-2 win Durham and some goals in front of the South Stand, to which I have not seen at all this season! I perhaps stupidly sacrificed the chance of a West Stand ticket at equal price solely because I want to see the ball nestle in the net in front of my very eyes. It’ll probably end up 0-0 knowing my luck!

Up the U’s!
Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 09:58 - Nov 9 with 1143 viewsdurham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 08:28 - Nov 9 by GOSBTS

Great preview as ever Durham. Very sorry to hear about the incident with your son at Highfield Road. I do hope he was okay and there was no lasting damage. Did they identify the person who threw the missile? I have been on the Sky Blues message board this week and they were still lamenting a small faction of their fan base who are hooligans. Hopefully this element won’t be coming to the JobServe today.

They don’t seem very confident at all on their forums and seem disillusioned by a whole array of matters with the club, from their impotence in front of goal to their stadium issues. Really hope McGreal puts out our strongest team as our schedule for November is incredibly light.

Very excited for this one. Sadly ticket sales don’t look brilliant. Coventry have sold around 600 tickets which is rather light considering they usually travel in excellent number. Hopefully sales on the gates today will be high and the overall attendance will be good. I too hope for a 3-2 win Durham and some goals in front of the South Stand, to which I have not seen at all this season! I perhaps stupidly sacrificed the chance of a West Stand ticket at equal price solely because I want to see the ball nestle in the net in front of my very eyes. It’ll probably end up 0-0 knowing my luck!

Up the U’s!

GOSBTS thank you for your comments. The miscreant was never traced, in truth it could have been so much worse. He still has a small lump from the impact.

Anyway we move on and it will be a tough game today. Like you 600 seems disappointing I thought at least 1200 would travel perhaps ground sharing fatigue is having a lasting impact.

Robins is a shrewd manager and I don't accept all their selection woes at present, certainly victory today for the U's will be an impressive result in a great season.

Enjoy the game hope you watch a U's home win.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 14:16 - Nov 9 with 1120 viewsdurham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 09:58 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

GOSBTS thank you for your comments. The miscreant was never traced, in truth it could have been so much worse. He still has a small lump from the impact.

Anyway we move on and it will be a tough game today. Like you 600 seems disappointing I thought at least 1200 would travel perhaps ground sharing fatigue is having a lasting impact.

Robins is a shrewd manager and I don't accept all their selection woes at present, certainly victory today for the U's will be an impressive result in a great season.

Enjoy the game hope you watch a U's home win.

UTU's

Team
Gerken
Senior Comley Stevenson Harriott
Poku
Nouble

As suggested

Subs
Ross Lapslie Sowunmi Norris Brown Wiredu Gambin

UTU's

Durham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 15:12 - Nov 9 with 1111 viewsdurham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 14:16 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

Team
Gerken
Senior Comley Stevenson Harriott
Poku
Nouble

As suggested

Subs
Ross Lapslie Sowunmi Norris Brown Wiredu Gambin

UTU's

Early days but we're a goal down
Shipley 11 mins
UTU's

Durham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 15:28 - Nov 9 with 1099 viewsdurham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 15:12 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

Early days but we're a goal down
Shipley 11 mins
UTU's

Now 2-0 down but my prediction was 3-2 to the U's

Come on we must score next
UTU's

Durham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 15:28 - Nov 9 with 1096 viewswessex_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 15:28 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

Now 2-0 down but my prediction was 3-2 to the U's

Come on we must score next
UTU's

Howler by Gerken apparently - come on U's!!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 15:45 - Nov 9 with 1082 viewswessex_exile

Ipshit losing 1-0 at home - always a silver lining :-)

Up the U's

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 15:49 - Nov 9 with 1078 viewsgerry_us

Half time 0-2.
Question...does McG have a half-time talk to resurrect our chances in the FA Cup? Regrettably I suspect not.
Login to get fewer ads

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 15:50 - Nov 9 with 1077 viewsdurham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 15:45 - Nov 9 by wessex_exile

Ipshit losing 1-0 at home - always a silver lining :-)

We now need the second half of our dreams to score three goals.
Time for the inspirational half time talk and bring Chuck Norris on.
UTU's

Durham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 15:58 - Nov 9 with 1069 viewsthrillseeker

Its cold today.

Have to say that is one of the worst performances I have seen for a while. The 2nd half can only get better.

Coventry have done their scouting and truly been the better team.

JMc needs to radically change the formation. One up front is a failure.

Hoping the 2nd half can warm me up
Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:04 - Nov 9 with 1065 viewsdurham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 15:58 - Nov 9 by thrillseeker

Its cold today.

Have to say that is one of the worst performances I have seen for a while. The 2nd half can only get better.

Coventry have done their scouting and truly been the better team.

JMc needs to radically change the formation. One up front is a failure.

Hoping the 2nd half can warm me up

TS inconsistency is our bette noire this season.
I do hope we can give this a real go second half.

Chuck needs to enter the fray

UTU's

Durham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:07 - Nov 9 with 1058 viewsdurham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:04 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

TS inconsistency is our bette noire this season.
I do hope we can give this a real go second half.

Chuck needs to enter the fray

UTU's

Sowunmi on for Poku

What is going on

Durham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:13 - Nov 9 with 1050 viewsMoor_Pinot

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:07 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

Sowunmi on for Poku

What is going on

Durham - you know yourself he hasn't a clue what's going on. He never has. I think we'd gone three games without losing so I was expecting a defeat today and a couple more in the next few weeks then we'll win a game, then........

Oh you know what I mean. We've some very good players but we just can't manage them. Enough.

Moor Pinot

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:24 - Nov 9 with 1038 viewsMoor_Pinot

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:13 - Nov 9 by Moor_Pinot

Durham - you know yourself he hasn't a clue what's going on. He never has. I think we'd gone three games without losing so I was expecting a defeat today and a couple more in the next few weeks then we'll win a game, then........

Oh you know what I mean. We've some very good players but we just can't manage them. Enough.

Crowd predictably under 3000. The faithful know.

Moor Pinot

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:39 - Nov 9 with 1024 viewsdurham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:24 - Nov 9 by Moor_Pinot

Crowd predictably under 3000. The faithful know.

Pinault 2,919 with 600 from Coventry Sony appalling

I know you predicted a defeat but to miss out on 36k is inexcusable and doesn't put us in the correct frame of mind for Ipswich on Tuesday

UTU'sw

Durham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:47 - Nov 9 with 1017 viewsdurham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:39 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

Pinault 2,919 with 600 from Coventry Sony appalling

I know you predicted a defeat but to miss out on 36k is inexcusable and doesn't put us in the correct frame of mind for Ipswich on Tuesday

UTU'sw

A pathetic and inexcusable performance today
Coventry eased to a very straightforward victory
Enough said
UTU's
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 16:50]

Durham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:54 - Nov 9 with 1005 viewswessex_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:47 - Nov 9 by durham_exile

A pathetic and inexcusable performance today
Coventry eased to a very straightforward victory
Enough said
UTU's
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 16:50]

Very disappointed about the performance, we can play much better than that, so I'm not going to draw too many meaningful comparisons about how far we might be off League 1 standards, but Coventry are clearly a good League 1 side.

On to Ipshit in the mickey-mouse cup...

Up the U's

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 18:43 - Nov 9 with 950 viewsgerry_us

Reading the report on the U's website...

"At the break, Omar Sowunmi was introduced for Poku and went between Prosser and Eastman in a three man defence"

Correct me if I'm wrong but were we not 2-0 at half time in a cup match. Why are we stiffening up the defence?
Sorry but the man is clueless.
Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 18:59 - Nov 9 with 941 viewsGOSBTS

We were so disappointingly poor today.

We didn't turn up until the 25th minute of the game. Coventry passed and moved with energy whilst we looked lethargic, sleepy and frankly like we didn't want to be there. Jackson, who I usually class as one of our best players, was annihilated down the right. It took until 1-0 down and halfway through the first half for us to mount a credible attack and then Coventry went up the other end and scored from a howler of a free kick.

At half-time McGreal brought Sowumni on, took Poku off and changed the formation to 3-5-2. Only problem is that Brammall just doesn't have the legs to do the work of a wing-back. Senior would have done better in the position. Then he took Harriot off for Gambin and eventually Senior off for Norris. Whilst all three substitutes did well (Norris in particular), we were left with twenty minutes to go in a formation we are unfamiliar with and with none of our wide, pacy players. Our team ONLY knows how to play down the wings. Norris was the one bright spark but he alone couldn't change things.

Of all the players I felt Stevenson and Comley were utterly anonymous today. They provided no outlet for our full-backs under pressure and were never where the ball was.

Incredibly disappointing. Coventry never had to leave 2nd gear after the break and if they'd wanted to they could have run out 4/5-0 winners today.
Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 19:22 - Nov 9 with 916 viewsLeadbelly

We didn’t play badly but Coventry were by far and away the best side I’ve seen us play this season. Better than us across the pitch throughout 90 minutes. No shame in losing to a far superior team. McGreal will never take this squad where it’s capabilities should take them but today we were second best and I’m not convinced we could have done anything about it.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 00:29 - Nov 10 with 835 viewsmfb_cufc

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 19:22 - Nov 9 by Leadbelly

We didn’t play badly but Coventry were by far and away the best side I’ve seen us play this season. Better than us across the pitch throughout 90 minutes. No shame in losing to a far superior team. McGreal will never take this squad where it’s capabilities should take them but today we were second best and I’m not convinced we could have done anything about it.

We didn't play badly. You must be joking. I have never seen us so outclassed in a game. Coventry caused us far more problems than Spurs because we did nothing to stop them. It was as if we turned up to play a five-a-side game, and the opposition cheated by playing eleven. Our tactically inept coach was found out once again, by one of the lower leagues best managers.

mfb

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 07:54 - Nov 10 with 808 viewsnoah4x4

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 18:43 - Nov 9 by gerry_us

Reading the report on the U's website...

"At the break, Omar Sowunmi was introduced for Poku and went between Prosser and Eastman in a three man defence"

Correct me if I'm wrong but were we not 2-0 at half time in a cup match. Why are we stiffening up the defence?
Sorry but the man is clueless.

Coventry played a back three and hence swamped the midfield. At HT, McGreal had to go like for like to ensure we were not over-run. Jackson had a shocker, not helped by Senior repeatedly exposing him to two or three fast attackers by offering zero defensive input and losing the ball. Poku similar,. Coventry were a yard faster.

Fact is, we were beaten by a much superior side in a competition for which U's players and many fans have no appetite.Our three internationals looked very ordinary perhaps concerened about injury in a meaningless game compared to league priorities. Frankly, I expect a mauling on tuesday. We are not good enough for Duvision One. It also suggested to me how many regular attendees alternate between Portman Road and JCS and here the rare clash of Home games forced them to choose. Again, tuesday we are likely to be outnumbered by Ipswich fans 10-1 as many didn't want to waste money on games we were likely to lose having already committed big bucks on the Man Utd trip. Bad day at the office. With Bradford off, time to regroup.
Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:26 - Nov 10 with 716 viewsGOSBTS

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 07:54 - Nov 10 by noah4x4

Coventry played a back three and hence swamped the midfield. At HT, McGreal had to go like for like to ensure we were not over-run. Jackson had a shocker, not helped by Senior repeatedly exposing him to two or three fast attackers by offering zero defensive input and losing the ball. Poku similar,. Coventry were a yard faster.

Fact is, we were beaten by a much superior side in a competition for which U's players and many fans have no appetite.Our three internationals looked very ordinary perhaps concerened about injury in a meaningless game compared to league priorities. Frankly, I expect a mauling on tuesday. We are not good enough for Duvision One. It also suggested to me how many regular attendees alternate between Portman Road and JCS and here the rare clash of Home games forced them to choose. Again, tuesday we are likely to be outnumbered by Ipswich fans 10-1 as many didn't want to waste money on games we were likely to lose having already committed big bucks on the Man Utd trip. Bad day at the office. With Bradford off, time to regroup.

Interesting point. On my walk back to Mill Road after games I've regularly seen Ipswich fans mulling around. I found it slightly disappointing to look to the East Stand and see few families and children at the game yesterday. I love the FA Cup and really don't want to see its demise in the hearts and minds of fans.
Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 00:27 - Nov 11 with 672 viewsdurham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 16:26 - Nov 10 by GOSBTS

Interesting point. On my walk back to Mill Road after games I've regularly seen Ipswich fans mulling around. I found it slightly disappointing to look to the East Stand and see few families and children at the game yesterday. I love the FA Cup and really don't want to see its demise in the hearts and minds of fans.

I am now getting fed up about people fawning over just how good Coventry were.
They played well and we were poor simple as.
The second goal was shocking and clearly knocked the wind out of our sails.
We move on with the EFL trophy and then a free weekend to make sure Harry Pell is fully fit.

Please no more about the Sky Blues it is frankly nauseating.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 17:13 - Nov 11 with 602 viewswessex_exile

Sky Blues to be ousted from the FA Cup by Super U's at JSCS on 00:27 - Nov 11 by durham_exile

I am now getting fed up about people fawning over just how good Coventry were.
They played well and we were poor simple as.
The second goal was shocking and clearly knocked the wind out of our sails.
We move on with the EFL trophy and then a free weekend to make sure Harry Pell is fully fit.

Please no more about the Sky Blues it is frankly nauseating.

UTU's

Fair enough Durham, no more about Coventry.

I guess my point was more along the lines of if we have an off-day against indifferent opposition, sometimes we will get away with it. The chances of doing so against any team who have done their homework and on their game are slim to none.

I'm therefore not drawing any conclusions about where we are and where we need to be should we be promoted to League 1, because that performance was well short of what we know we are capable of.

Final thought, if we have rubbish performances in our locker, and it would appear we still do, I'm happier this one was in the FA Cup...

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024