Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday 18:03 - Apr 12 with 1000 viewsdurham_exile

JM, fresh from a spectacular victory against Stevenage (can we play you every week?) is preparing his charges for a vital Good Friday encounter against newly promoted Doncaster Rovers.

Now earlier in the season, I watched as we lost narrowly to Donny Rovers in a keenly contested game at the Keep Moat stadium. This week however the stakes are much higher. Although Doncaster have been promoted, they are not yet assured of winning the league and Darren Ferguson will be keen to cement his side as champions as soon as possible.

By contrast JM will want the three points to strengthen our claim on a play off place. It is therefore a must win for both teams.

Ferguson has just been awarded the League Two Manager of the Year award and John Marquis, who has scored 26 goals in 40 games, has received the League Two Player of the year award. Often of course these awards come with a curse for their next match.

Doncaster have few injury concerns, James Coppinger is doubtful, but I suspect he will play some part in Friday’s game.

Doncaster have also frozen their season ticket prices for next season, meaning that an adult ticket will cost £299 in league one or £13 per home game; whilst a child will only pay £30 or £1.30 per game.

Doncaster will also have a big say in the promotion and relegation issues with games to come after Friday against Blackpool H, Wycombe A, Exeter H and Hartlepool A. Their final game could decide Hartlepool’s fate, as they are locked in a basement Battle with Newport County.

Colchester of course have been rocked by the news that Owen Garvan has left the club by mutual consent after some 6 weeks of discussions between club and player. The official line is “for personal reasons”. The timing is very poor however and whilst wishing him well for the future, I can’t but help thinking that he could have stayed until the end of the season.

Doug Loft has however played for the U23’s and could feature towards the end of the season although Friday is surely too soon.

The league looks like this as at 12 Apr:

Doncaster 41 84
Plymouth 41 78
Portsmouth 41 74

Luton 41 66
Stevenage 41 65
Exeter 41 62
Carlisle 41 62

Blackpool 41 60
Cambridge 41 60
COL U 41 60

JM will be hoping for another big victory to match recent wins against Mansfield, Luton and Stevenage at fortress WHCS. He would do well to forget all about how Doncaster might play in view of their promotion and concentrate instead on ensuring that his players remain focussed on the vital three points at stake for the winner.

Some of the team have commented about the play offs, which is only natural given the very tight battle for those four play-off positions. It is all about results however and earning that final play-off place and no one should forget that.

Easter Monday sees a massive game at sunny Morecambe, before another huge home match against the green Army when Plymouth come to Town. That then leaves Orient Away and Yeovil at Home.

The Play Off Semi Finals have been confirmed for: Sunday 14 May @ 6.30pm and Thursday 18 May @ 7.45pm.

The Final is at Wembley on Sunday 28 May @ 3pm. Keep these dates free in your diary.

JM is likely to field an unchanged team on Friday with Tarique Fosu retaining his starting place in a 3,4,3 formation.

Walker

Eastman James Elokobi

Brindley Lapslie Murray Fosu

Wright Porter Dickenson

Subs:

Brill Wynter Briggs Kinsella O’Sullivan Pyke Bonne

A decent holiday crowd, swelled by Doncaster bringing over 1,000 supporters, will make for an entertaining game at the WHCS.

As a footnote - last season over the Easter period we defeated Doncaster 4-1 at the WHCS and then won 1-0 at Coventry City — this season two victories back to back against Donny Rovers and Morecambe would come in very handy for the promotion campaign.

The team last year against Doncaster was Parish, Edwards, Eastman, Chambers, Shorey, Garvan, Gilbey, Moncur, Massey, Porter, Lee. Subs — Barnes, Wright, Kent, Bonne, Lapslie, Brindley, Ambrose. Only 6 from that squad of 18 will be likely to see action on the field this Friday. Significantly of course some key players are sadly still injured.

I believe that we can achieve the play offs and if we do then anything is possible.

Enjoy the game.

Up the Super U’s

Durham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 19:27 - Apr 12 with 983 viewsnoah4x4

"JM is likely to field an unchanged team on Friday with Tarique Fosu retaining his starting place in a 3,4,3 formation......"

I reckon Friday is about doing a job. It is not about playing pleasing attacking football. Hence, whilst I agree with the team you have "selected" Durham' I envisage a more cautious 4 - 4 - 2 or 3 - 5 - 2 or even 3 - 5 -1- 1 (Fosu then a free agent in the hole behind Porter). The brackets below show my suggested alternative team set ups.

Walker

Brindley Eastman James Elokobi

(Brindley) Wright Lapslie Murray Dickenson

(Porter) Fosu

(Porter)

Donny have tended to be quite direct. I also think three forward (3- 4 -3) is too ambitious against the league leaders, despite being at home. We certainly cannot afford to go behind as Donny defend too well and have a miserly defence. We must be cautious, at least in the first half. Then I can see us scoring first and being really boring! But we need to grind out a win.
Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 20:18 - Apr 12 with 970 viewsdurham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 19:27 - Apr 12 by noah4x4

"JM is likely to field an unchanged team on Friday with Tarique Fosu retaining his starting place in a 3,4,3 formation......"

I reckon Friday is about doing a job. It is not about playing pleasing attacking football. Hence, whilst I agree with the team you have "selected" Durham' I envisage a more cautious 4 - 4 - 2 or 3 - 5 - 2 or even 3 - 5 -1- 1 (Fosu then a free agent in the hole behind Porter). The brackets below show my suggested alternative team set ups.

Walker

Brindley Eastman James Elokobi

(Brindley) Wright Lapslie Murray Dickenson

(Porter) Fosu

(Porter)

Donny have tended to be quite direct. I also think three forward (3- 4 -3) is too ambitious against the league leaders, despite being at home. We certainly cannot afford to go behind as Donny defend too well and have a miserly defence. We must be cautious, at least in the first half. Then I can see us scoring first and being really boring! But we need to grind out a win.

noah - you will have seen each home game this season and some aways, while I have seen 11 Aways (although I am going to the forthcoming Plymouth home game).

The U's play a more expansive game at home and therefore I would like us to take the game to Doncaster Rovers. I do not think that JM will play three up, but Dickenson attacking down the left and cutting inside is at his best, whilst Wright likes to get forward and surely Porter must have support because against Pompey (the 4-0 mauling) he was on his own up front, just as he was for large parts of the recent Notts Co game.

Young Pyke seems to have lost his way(he was anonymous at Meadow Lane) and Bonne clearly has committed some heinous crime which prevents him from being given more than 10 minutes in any one game.

Therefore take the game to Donny from the outset, do not let them gain the initiative as Pompey were allowed to do. We play well at home and when we score early invariably win the game. It is a must win game and I suspect that although Donny will not want to lose, a couple of their players are already "on the beach" so to speak.

It should be a cracking match and should we prevail, then momentum must take us to a further three points at the Globe Arena on Easter Monday.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 21:25 - Apr 12 with 960 viewsnoah4x4

I have missed only two games home or away this season Durham.

Frankly, I can't get my head around the way we play away. Our players often look lethargic, tired, heavy legged. I wonder if the Roman (team) coach is up to the job? Maybe they don't sleep well before games? We also seem to play much better when the away distance is short (Luton, Stevenage, Cambridge etc.). The gulf between our home and away performances just seems too large to be credible, albeit we have recently run into a number of sides with exceptional home form.
Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 15:39 - Apr 14 with 872 viewsgerry_us

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 21:25 - Apr 12 by noah4x4

I have missed only two games home or away this season Durham.

Frankly, I can't get my head around the way we play away. Our players often look lethargic, tired, heavy legged. I wonder if the Roman (team) coach is up to the job? Maybe they don't sleep well before games? We also seem to play much better when the away distance is short (Luton, Stevenage, Cambridge etc.). The gulf between our home and away performances just seems too large to be credible, albeit we have recently run into a number of sides with exceptional home form.

We've scored "twerly". Bus parking time? Hopefully we will continue to take the game to Donny but I have my doubts.
Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 16:06 - Apr 14 with 866 viewsdurham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 15:39 - Apr 14 by gerry_us

We've scored "twerly". Bus parking time? Hopefully we will continue to take the game to Donny but I have my doubts.

Big 45 mins required.
Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 16:14 - Apr 14 with 863 viewsdurham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 16:06 - Apr 14 by durham_exile

Big 45 mins required.
Come on the U's

Even more important that we can fashion a win, both Exeter and Carlisle are winning. Gap is 4 points.

Come on the U's

PS where did the ref find all the extra first half time!!!

Durham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 16:32 - Apr 14 with 859 viewsdurham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 16:14 - Apr 14 by durham_exile

Even more important that we can fashion a win, both Exeter and Carlisle are winning. Gap is 4 points.

Come on the U's

PS where did the ref find all the extra first half time!!!

Barnet have pulled a goal back at Exeter
Hartlepool have equalised

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 16:34 - Apr 14 with 858 viewsdurham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 16:32 - Apr 14 by durham_exile

Barnet have pulled a goal back at Exeter
Hartlepool have equalised

Come on the U's

Incredibly Stevenage and Luton both now losing

We need a winner and fast

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 16:59 - Apr 14 with 852 viewsdurham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 16:34 - Apr 14 by durham_exile

Incredibly Stevenage and Luton both now losing

We need a winner and fast

Up the U's

A vital point now we simply must win atMorecambe on Monday

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 17:54 - Apr 14 with 827 viewsgerry_us

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 16:59 - Apr 14 by durham_exile

A vital point now we simply must win atMorecambe on Monday

Up the U's

That's probably the most difficult fixture out of the way so maximum points from the remainder of the fixtures should not be out of the question. So tight now in the league anything can happen over the next two weeks.
How about that for confidence Peter?
Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 19:27 - Apr 14 with 809 viewsbwildered

A hard fought, well earn't point against the Champions elect to-day . A game of two halfs, great strike by player of the season Dickinson, followed by shot rebound against the post by Porter kept the U's on the front foot until extra time header from corner put the team level come half time .
Bullied second period with both sides having chances to settle it .
Pyke coming on gave us extra momentum, but wrong decisions due to inexperience put play to good positions .
Welcome return to Loft, who did the basics well.
Would have taken a point before hand.
Onwards and upwards .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 19:33 - Apr 14 with 803 viewsdurham_exile

Another vital three points for the Super U's to secure at WHCS on Good Friday on 17:54 - Apr 14 by gerry_us

That's probably the most difficult fixture out of the way so maximum points from the remainder of the fixtures should not be out of the question. So tight now in the league anything can happen over the next two weeks.
How about that for confidence Peter?

Gerry I am impressed with that level of confidence.

I have decided to abandon a days cockle picking in Morecambe bay, and instead will go to the globe arena.

Our away form must now secure two wins at Morecambe and Orient whilst Plymouth and Yeovil at home are also winnable.

The play offs are now within touching distance.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024