Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! 11:29 - Aug 2 with 862 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester United celebrate 80 years (1937-2017) this season. Exciting times ahead and with the promise of a strong campaign to build upon last season.

The Summer has seen considerable arrivals and departures.

We have bid farewell to Chris Porter (Crewe), George Elokobi (Orient), Richard Brindley (Barnet), Dean Brill, Matt Briggs, Lloyd Doyley and last but by no means least Macca Bonne to Orient.

Opinion is divided on Bonne’s departure. I am firmly of the belief that he was never given a real opportunity at the club and that his face simply didn’t fit. I will maintain a Bonne watch this season and anticipate that he will score 20 league goals for Orient.

On the arrivals front we have Ryan Jackson from Gillingham, Rene Gilmartin from Watford, Cole Kpekawa from Barnsley and Mikael Mandron from Wigan.

It is the ongoing injury situation that fills me with the most regret. Frankie Kent, Kurtis Guthrie and Brennan Dickenson are huge misses for the Super U’s and we desperately need all three back. Dickenson will not be back this side of February 2018 but perhaps Kent and Guthrie will return within one month.

So, who does JM have within the squad for our first league game of the season at the Wham Stadium (the Crown ground) against Accrington Stanley.

GOALKEEPERS
Sam Walker, Dillon Barnes and Rene Gilmartin (also GK coach)

DEFENCE
Tom Eastman, Alex Wynter, Cole Kpekawa, and Cameron James

MIDFIELD (including Wing backs)
Ryan Jackson, Sean Murray, Craig Slater, Lewis Kinsella, Kane Vincent-Young, Louis Dunne, Charley Edge, Tom Lapslie, Doug Loft, Tommy O’Sullivan, Diaz Wright

STRIKERS
Denny Johnstone, Mikael Mandron, Drey Wright, Tariq Issa

Plus: Guthrie, Dickenson, Senior, Prosser and Kent when fully fit. Total 27.

JM seems to have adopted the 3,4,1,2 formation which might be more akin to 3,5,2 away from home and possibly 3,4,3 at home.

So, who might he select for the trip to Lancashire on Saturday.

Walker

Eastman Wynter Kpekawa

Jackson Murray Slater Kinsella

Szmodics

Johnstone Wright

Subs:

Barnes, James, Vincent-Young, Lapslie, O’Sullivan, Mandron, Issa

Walker as an ever-present last season will be the Number One. Eastman, Wynter and Kpekawa will have competition from both Kent and James. Jackson and Kinsella or Vincent-Young will operate as Wing backs. Can Murray and Slater play together in Midfield, the answer is yes especially with Loft injury prone. Szmodics or Lapslie can also play midfield whilst Mandron is likely to be on the bench away from home and to start at home. Of course, both Guthrie and Dickenson will be automatic choices when fit.

John Coleman’s Accrington have been tipped by some to be relegation material. They finished strongly last season and were 13th on 65 points. The 2-1 defeat at the Wham was a low point for Colchester particularly as the first 45 minutes was the worst that I saw in all my matches last season.

They have twin strikers in Billy Kee and Kayden Jackson. Kee scored against us last season, a very smart finish and I would have liked to have seen him signed for Col U during the summer break. Let us hope that he has a quiet game on Saturday.

Expectations are high for the faithful following the near miss on the Play Offs last year and with Portsmouth, Plymouth, Blackpool and Doncaster moving up a division the League Two is looking weaker this season.

Colchester’s rivals for a promotion spot must include Coventry, Lincoln, Notts Co and perhaps Forest Green Rovers.

The team will be keen to start positively especially with the attractive televised League Cup (Carabao) tie against the Villa on Wednesday.

Accrington is scheduled to have light rain showers and sunny intervals on Saturday with a high of 15 degrees c.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 14:06]

Durham_exile

Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 14:42 - Aug 2 with 832 viewsMoor_Pinot

Thank you Durham.
Safe and productive journey to you and others.

I have enjoyed your resumé and hope we may have a season of hope rather than the November panic of last year where it took a player in a Yeovil hotel to lift our club where management could not. I give McGreal credit for recalling Elokobi but I suspect he will be less crucial this time round.

Unlike you I do not see the division as being less strong. I agree about Coventry, Lincoln and Notts Co but I suspect both Chesterfield and Swindon will feature and probably Port Vale. Luton too, will want to improve. It will be a long season and hopefully a better one than 16-17. Our younger players have much to learn and will need to face up to the importance of what lies ahead. There is rather less experience in our squad than I'd like but who knows.

From afar I watch with even greater vigour and altho the Brexit thing has removed the possibility of my attending 5 or 6 games this season I shall be there in spirit and hope we can at least avoid defeat on Saturday. I am sure we shall beat Stevenage.

Up the interestingly reforming U's.
Best wishes to you all.

Bon courage

Moor Pinot

Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 16:15 - Aug 2 with 822 viewsthrillseeker

Thanks Durham - I do like reading your previews

The only error I see is that Marmite (love him or hate him) Lapslie is not in your starting XI. I fully expect McGreal to start with him
Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 20:53 - Aug 2 with 781 viewsLeadbelly

You may also be able to add Loft to the list of injured players.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 21:54 - Aug 2 with 770 viewsmfb_cufc

Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 20:53 - Aug 2 by Leadbelly

You may also be able to add Loft to the list of injured players.

And Prosser. Despite these injuries we can still put a team out that should be very competitive in this League.

mfb

Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 22:05 - Aug 2 with 765 viewsgerry_us

We could dramatically improve our away form if we banned Durham from attending....

Only joking Durham. This could be your season for "loads" of wins. Looking forward to our Tuesday evening in Cleethorpes again....new fish and chip restaurant opened on the pier..
Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 06:20 - Aug 3 with 736 viewsbwildered

Let's hope it is a better experience to those attending than previous has during the close season a upgrade to the water system now allows the sprinkler system and toilet system now work independently !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 09:29 - Aug 3 with 723 viewsnoah4x4

I don't see Wynter starting ahead of James subject to the latter being fit. I thought James was the pick of our young defenders towards the end of the season.
Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 12:29 - Aug 4 with 643 viewsburnsieespana

Thanks Durham for your usual interesting views.
Safe travel for all attending the game and I hope to be at Saturday's home game.
Reckon it will be a 0-0 draw as we don't yet seem to have discovered a way to hit the back of the net but defensively we seem good.
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 16:40 - Aug 4 with 614 viewsgerry_us

Wynter's gone now.
Making Durham's defence list looking a bit light...

"DEFENCE
Tom Eastman, Alex Wynter, Cole Kpekawa, and Cameron James"

....perhaps we are going all out attack. Now wouldn't that be novel.
Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 17:39 - Aug 4 with 605 viewsLeadbelly

Meanwhile Accrington Stanley (who are they? Exactly) have signed three new players today.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 18:08 - Aug 4 with 595 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to start season strongly at the Wham stadium! on 16:40 - Aug 4 by gerry_us

Wynter's gone now.
Making Durham's defence list looking a bit light...

"DEFENCE
Tom Eastman, Alex Wynter, Cole Kpekawa, and Cameron James"

....perhaps we are going all out attack. Now wouldn't that be novel.

Gerry this is indeed the Wynter of our discontent!

The timing is very strange but anyway Cameron James wil slot in tomorrow. James finished the season strongly.

Up the 26 strong U's squad

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024