Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston 21:23 - Feb 2 with 2291 viewsdurham_exile

The Exiles are in Town on Saturday. No not Wessex, Durham et al, but Mike Flynn’s high-flying Newport County Exiles.

Now Football has been overshadowed this week by the news of Vic Keeble’s sad passing at the age of 87. He will be missed by many and will rightly be the subject of a minute’s applause on Saturday.

Returning to more mundane news, in a week of frenetic transfer and loan activity JM’s Super U’s have added to their ranks after clearing a couple of players from the pay bill.

Liam Mandeville 21 has joined on loan from Doncaster Rovers

Olamide Shodipo a winger from QPR has joined on loan

Highly rated Ben Stevenson, signed by Wolves for £500K from Coventry has been loaned to Colchester and ironically can play against the Sky Blues in a 12 days’ time.

Aaron Barnes, signed permanently from Charlton, has immediately been loaned to Torquay by Colchester until the end of the season. He made an impressive debut for the Gulls last week.

Cameron James has been loaned to Chelmsford City until the end of the season. James was one of our mainstays last season, but his chances have been limited so far, this season.

No bids were received for Sammie Szmodics however after the speculation (mainly newspaper driven) about a bid of £1m from the Cherries. This unwanted attention has led to a drop-in form from the U’s youngster and incredibly an unknown bid for another Super U was made instead. Although secret, I suspect that the bid was for Brennan Dickenson, who is likely to return to the first team for the Coventry game.

Luke Prosser is surely ready for a regular return to the first team but who can he play alongside, and can he displace Kane Vincent-Young.

Ryan Inniss remains doubtful following his shoulder injury which has definitely adversely affected the defence, which previously seemed impregnable.

So, who can JM play against the Exiles. Until Dickenson returns he must surely integrate the new signings with some of the reliable regulars.

Sam Walker remains the number one but does JM go with three or four at the back. His preferred trio is still Eastman Inniss and Kent, but the return of Prosser gives an option (until Inniss is fully fit) of Eastman, Prosser and Kent. Ryan Jackson has the ability to play either full back or wing back.

Midfield is even more tricky with Tom Lapslie aka Marmite, Brandon Comley who having signed permanently has been “snubbed” by JM. Sean Murray has struggled of late following his spell out with an injury whilst Doug “sicknote” Loft remains unavailable. Drey Wright despite his recent goal cannot be justified in the starting XI at present and must be benched.

The two midfield arrivals in Shodipo and Stevenson cannot be ignored and there is a strong case for both to be given starts.

Sammie Szmodics is either an attacking midfielder or a striker, but in the current climate must play behind the strike force.

This is JM’s biggest conundrum with Mikael Mandron, Kurtis Guthrie, Courtney Senior, Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe and now Mandeville all champing at the bit.

So, what do we make of all this:

JM could consider the following:
Walker
Jackson Eastman Kent Vincent-Young
Lapslie Stevenson Shodipo
Szmodics Mandeville
Guthrie

Or:
Walker
Eastman Kent Prosser
Jackson Comley Stevenson Shodipo
Szmodics
Ogedi-Uzokwe Senior

Or:
Walker
Jackson Eastman Kent Prosser
Murray Stevenson Shodipo
Szmodics
Mandeville Guthrie

I think that he will instead go with the following line up against Newport County:

3,4,1,2 including three of the new signings who will offer quality in an attempt to secure our first win of 2018.

Walker

Eastman Kent Prosser

Jackson Lapslie Stevenson Shodipo

Szmodics

Mandeville Guthrie

Subs:
Gilmartin Vincent-Young Comley Murray Ogedi-Uzokwe Senior Wright

The weather in Colchester tomorrow is set for 5 degrees Celsius with light rain.
Attendance should be up to see the new players performing on their debuts whilst also hoping for a super U’s victory.

Now let us forget about all the hype about Newport rolling over because of their forthcoming FA Cup replay against Spurs at Wembley. Flynn knows that he has £1m in the bank and realistically has no chance of victory and so he will do what he can to rectify the situation following a poor showing at Lincoln City. JM must guard against any complacency. Tomorrow is all about the three points.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 23:21 - Feb 2 with 1564 viewsLeadbelly

The unnamed player who was the subject of a bid is rumoured to be Guthrie rather than Dickensian.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 23:27 - Feb 2 with 1560 viewsdurham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 23:21 - Feb 2 by Leadbelly

The unnamed player who was the subject of a bid is rumoured to be Guthrie rather than Dickensian.

LB love the Dickensian comment.

Guthrie (yet to sign his contract) very interesting.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 05:16 - Feb 3 with 1546 viewsLeadbelly

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 23:27 - Feb 2 by durham_exile

LB love the Dickensian comment.

Guthrie (yet to sign his contract) very interesting.

Up the U's

Bloody predictive text!

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 11:10 - Feb 3 with 1522 viewsgerry_us

Believe me Peter. Newport will be a pushover today. None of them will want to miss playing at Wembley. They didn't compete at Lincoln apparently from a local friend of mine. Time to roll them over if McGreal can select an attacking side. Only problem I can see is going in at halftime 1-0 or 2-1 and then we park the bus.
County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 11:31 - Feb 3 with 1517 viewsLeadbelly

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 11:10 - Feb 3 by gerry_us

Believe me Peter. Newport will be a pushover today. None of them will want to miss playing at Wembley. They didn't compete at Lincoln apparently from a local friend of mine. Time to roll them over if McGreal can select an attacking side. Only problem I can see is going in at halftime 1-0 or 2-1 and then we park the bus.

Impending FA Cup game against a top flight team may lead players to take it easy, to avoid injury perhaps, but may also provide plenty of incentive to put in a shift to ensure selection. Any decent manager should be able to ensure the latter but i do hope Newport players opt for the former.

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 11:44 - Feb 3 with 1514 viewsbwildered

Effectively showed how to park the bus during the second half against Kane and Co and got a priceless game at Wembley .
No pushovers this one .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 13:09 - Feb 3 with 1500 viewsdurham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 11:10 - Feb 3 by gerry_us

Gerry, I know what you are saying, I just think that Flynn will have instilled in them that three points against Colchester is actually more important than a day out at Wembley.

JM would be well advised to attack from the start and not to coast or attempt to see out a 1-0 HT situation.

Many years ago I saw Colchester dismantle Newport County 6-0 at Layer Road. A similar scoreline today with some of the newby's playing well would work wonders. But I will settle for 4-0.

Up the U's

Team news at 2pm eagerly awaited!!!

Durham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 15:53 - Feb 3 with 1460 viewsgerry_us

Toothless. Looks like the new boys deserve a chance.
Could both be brought on in the 85th minute?
Login to get fewer ads

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 15:58 - Feb 3 with 1455 viewsMoor_Pinot

Spineless team selection Gerry - predictably no change, so we're drawing. Could be worse. This is a manager who really doesn't know what his best options are - such a shame but I suppose it must be difficult at times with som many options. Very little is settled at the U's these days.
Maybe the second half will surprise us all.

Moor Pinot

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:13 - Feb 3 with 1447 viewsgerry_us

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 15:58 - Feb 3 by Moor_Pinot

Spineless team selection Gerry - predictably no change, so we're drawing. Could be worse. This is a manager who really doesn't know what his best options are - such a shame but I suppose it must be difficult at times with som many options. Very little is settled at the U's these days.

Did anyone tell McGreal we had signed new players?
And what is the philosophy for leaving Sammy on the bench?
County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:15 - Feb 3 with 1447 viewsdurham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 15:58 - Feb 3 by Moor_Pinot

Stevenson on for Murray

Shodipo arrived injured apparently and so no left winger.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:21 - Feb 3 with 1445 viewsdurham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:15 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

Stevenson on for Murray

Shodipo arrived injured apparently and so no left winger.

Come on the U's

A rocket from Stevenson

Durham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:24 - Feb 3 with 1442 viewsgerry_us

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:21 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

A rocket from Stevenson

So predictable...
County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:41 - Feb 3 with 1435 viewsdurham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:24 - Feb 3 by gerry_us

So predictable...

Tom Eastman

Durham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:44 - Feb 3 with 1434 viewsgerry_us

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:41 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

Tom Eastman

Not so predictable .... but much appreciated.
County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:50 - Feb 3 with 1432 viewsdurham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:44 - Feb 3 by gerry_us

Not so predictable .... but much appreciated.

Junior gets TWO minutes game time
No surprise with Mr glass half empty

Durham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:59 - Feb 3 with 1429 viewsdurham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:50 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

A vital win

Durham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:00 - Feb 3 with 1429 viewsgerry_us

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:50 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

That long?
County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:05 - Feb 3 with 1425 viewsdurham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 17:00 - Feb 3 by gerry_us

That long?

What a shame that JM didn't have the courage to play the youngsters from the start.
Mandrons days must be numbered in the first XI

We have signed these players lets see them on the field

Up the U's

Durham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 19:13 - Feb 3 with 1386 viewsbwildered

Even first half, but Courtney Senior had the moment of the second half, running from the half way line to set up Stevenson for his debut goal from close range .
Goal advantage was enough with the visitors with their thoughts elsewhere .

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 20:00 - Feb 3 with 1374 viewsoxfcolu

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 19:13 - Feb 3 by bwildered

Even first half, but Courtney Senior had the moment of the second half, running from the half way line to set up Stevenson for his debut goal from close range .
Goal advantage was enough with the visitors with their thoughts elsewhere .

Surprise team selection I expected Mcgreal to be even more predictable and select all the old favourites. Changed it a bit from last week and then still didn't play the newbies,bizarre.....A well deserved win but room for a change up front next week with 2 hungry young men chomping at the bit to prove themselves.
County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 23:08 - Feb 3 with 1334 viewsdurham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 20:00 - Feb 3 by oxfcolu

Surprise team selection I expected Mcgreal to be even more predictable and select all the old favourites. Changed it a bit from last week and then still didn't play the newbies,bizarre.....A well deserved win but room for a change up front next week with 2 hungry young men chomping at the bit to prove themselves.

Have watched the highlights this evening Courtney Senior and Ben Stevenson must be the first names on the team sheet.

JM must be brave because the youngsters can get us promotion, this season.

Courtney Senior must be used carefully however, he is pacy and tricky but will tire after 60 or 70 mins.

Still exciting players and very talented.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 23:35 - Feb 3 with 1329 viewsmfb_cufc

The fans turned up today expecting to see the new faces in the team, but what did we get the same old team producing the same old rubbish in the first-half. Apparently Shodipo was signed with an injury, but why Stevenson or Mandeville didn't start only JM knows. I feel the injury to Murray got JM out of jail today, as the game changed once Stevenson came on. What a class act he is, one of those players who see a pass before they receive the ball. Also he never gave the ball to the opposition once. We will be adding him to the list of decent loan signings. A special mention for the defence, I thought they were superb, with Prosser making a big difference, and Kent improving every game.

mfb

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 08:17 - Feb 4 with 1293 viewsnoah4x4

County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 16:21 - Feb 3 by durham_exile

A rocket from Stevenson

See what you did there Durham....but was a tap in (and his name is spent with a v not ph). Credit to Senior though foir a great run. But Stevenson made a huge difference. Coventy fans will be in tears in a couple of weeks.

It was a tough set of decisions for McGreal. But Junior, Senior and Stevenson must start at Carlisle with Szmodics, Guthrie and Murray on bench. Szmodics looked interested again after a month of lethagy. The competition for places is healthy.
County to be exiled by Super U's at Fortress Weston on 08:43 - Feb 4 with 1290 viewsbwildered

Last weeks scorer ( the one and only ) Drey Wright, Lapsie and Szmodics all on the bench, were all the right calls by JM . Perhaps the superise was Mandeville not getting a debut for one of the front two who both looked ineffective .
With the other loanees injured or returning from injury both were never going on get a full ninety, although Stevenson did come off the bench ( reminds me of Gilby in midfield ), a forced changed , yes , but sometimes these things go your way .
With three former academy players named on the bench, have we ever named a complete set on the bench ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024