Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! 23:17 - Nov 22 with 1279 viewsdurham_exile

After what seems like an eternity Colchester United return to league action this weekend at the Johnny Rocks Stadium to take on Cheltenham. Led by Michael Duff the Robins have started the season strongly and defeated Swindon in the FA Cup this week.

Swindon 18 33
FGR 17 31
Bradford 16 30
Crewe 17 30
Exeter 18 30
Cheltenham 16 29
Northampton 18 28
Port Vale 18 28
Newport 16 27
COL U 17 26

Breaking into the top seven is proving elusive for the U’s, who really need to be looking for all three points at Cheltenham on Saturday.

The international break is now over, and Callum Harriott, Brandon Comley and Luke Gambin are all back from their respective countries. League battle may now commence again.

The postponed game against Bradford will be important whenever it is played, but we will be stronger when we can play our best XI and therefore it was wise to rest tired limbs and give players like Harry Pell the opportunity for another week recuperation.

JM has lots of decisions top make this week concerning the starting XI. The strength of the squad is also going to have an important bearing as the season continues into the sticky and rain sodden pitches of winter.

Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe is back from his loan spell at Derry City. His 16-month loan has taken its toll and he is not fit to play for a couple of weeks and must be weaned slowly back to league two action.

Whilst JM has a settled back five keeper and defence it will be the midfield where he has an embarrassment of riches and players to keep content whilst they warm the bench perhaps in rotation.

Lapslie, Senior, Pell, Wiredu, Comley, Wright, Dunne, Stevenson, Chilvers, Fernandes, Poku , Brown, Cowan-Hall, Gambin, and Harriott; potentially 15 players gives you an idea of the difficulty.

I would like to see a midfield of Pell, Comley and Stevenson but then what about wingers like Senior, Gambin, Harriott and Cowan-Hall.

Strikers well Nouble, Norris, and Robinson could all play but then we don’t have any wingers playing. It is a predicament for JM.

I would like to see the following team at Cheltenham tomorrow (providing Jackson is fit)

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Comley Pell Stevenson

Nouble Norris Harriott

Subs:
Ross Gambin Brown Chilvers Sowunmi Robinson Poku

Already though there is a problem with that line-up with Lapslie, Senior, Poku all missing. However I would like to see the three midfield players given an outing.

With Junior unfit, Cowan-Hall recovering from injury, Brown still to hit the high notes, JM can still just about ring the changes, but he must be careful, or dissatisfaction will set in amongst the squad.

Cheltenham weather is set to be 10 degrees Celsius and light rain.

With another blank weekend next Saturday and then Stevenage in the Leasing Trophy, three points tomorrow is very much the order of the day.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 07:19 - Nov 23 with 1260 viewsGOSBTS

Great preview Durham. I like your starting line up, only thing I’d change is maybe throwing in an additional winger. However, Norris deserves a start IMO and I wouldn’t be happy with that line up. It would give us plenty of options off the bench.

I’m at the Amex today to see Brighton play Leicester. Fully expecting a comprehensive 4-0 thrashing by the Foxes, so I hope Col U can provide some joy come 5pm!

Up the U’s!
Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 09:50 - Nov 23 with 1245 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 07:19 - Nov 23 by GOSBTS

Great preview Durham. I like your starting line up, only thing I’d change is maybe throwing in an additional winger. However, Norris deserves a start IMO and I wouldn’t be happy with that line up. It would give us plenty of options off the bench.

I’m at the Amex today to see Brighton play Leicester. Fully expecting a comprehensive 4-0 thrashing by the Foxes, so I hope Col U can provide some joy come 5pm!

Up the U’s!

GOSBTS - enjoy the AMEX. I reckon it should be a good game.

Weather in Durham is very wet today and I suspect elsewhere too.

JM does have a problem with selection. he could play Comley Pell Stevenson and Lapslie in a four man midfield, but that squeezes out wingers altogether.

Equally if Senior and Harriott play then does he just go with two from the midfield four. It is a predicament. that's why he is the tactical genius of course!

Anyway I hope he plays my suggested midfield trio, just to see how they gel together.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 11:24 - Nov 23 with 1233 viewswessex_exile

It’s worth mentioning that some Cheltenham fans were joined by U’s fans sleeping out in the stadium car park last night, to raise awareness and funds for Cheltenham Open Door and the plight of the homeless - well done to everyone involved!

https://cheltenhamopendoor.org.uk/

There is a crowd funder page for donations.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/1887-red-army-sleep-out

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 11:27 - Nov 23 with 1231 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 11:24 - Nov 23 by wessex_exile

It’s worth mentioning that some Cheltenham fans were joined by U’s fans sleeping out in the stadium car park last night, to raise awareness and funds for Cheltenham Open Door and the plight of the homeless - well done to everyone involved!

https://cheltenhamopendoor.org.uk/

There is a crowd funder page for donations.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/1887-red-army-sleep-out

Wessex - thanks for bringing that to my attention. Worthy cause.

I hope that they had a dry night.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 12:01 - Nov 23 with 1225 viewsgerry_us

???So why is Junior not fit???
Surely the idea of sending someone out on loan is to achieve just that by getting regular game time. If he hasn't been playing he should have returned to us immediately.
I see another Macualy Bonne situation on the horizon and it appears to be totally down to personalities...or personality...being McG doesn't like someone he'll get rid some way or another.
Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 12:39 - Nov 23 with 1222 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 12:01 - Nov 23 by gerry_us

???So why is Junior not fit???
Surely the idea of sending someone out on loan is to achieve just that by getting regular game time. If he hasn't been playing he should have returned to us immediately.
I see another Macualy Bonne situation on the horizon and it appears to be totally down to personalities...or personality...being McG doesn't like someone he'll get rid some way or another.

Gerry - my information about Junior is what I have read from the club.

I do hope that this does not turn into another Macca Bonne.

If top scorer for Derry City means that he consistently hits the back of the net then when he is fully fit he must play.

JM already has enough issues balancing the squad, perhaps he doesn't want to upset Robinson, Nouble and Chuck.

If Robinson returns to Scummend in January - Junior would be the obvious full time replacement. We wait out.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 14:53 - Nov 23 with 1203 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 12:39 - Nov 23 by durham_exile

Gerry - my information about Junior is what I have read from the club.

I do hope that this does not turn into another Macca Bonne.

If top scorer for Derry City means that he consistently hits the back of the net then when he is fully fit he must play.

JM already has enough issues balancing the squad, perhaps he doesn't want to upset Robinson, Nouble and Chuck.

If Robinson returns to Scummend in January - Junior would be the obvious full time replacement. We wait out.

UTU's

Agree re Junior. He has to have a chance surely? It's December next week and our top scorer in the league has four 4 goals, all scored months back.

You nearly got the team Durham but Stevenson, who has been a wee bit better recently must be injured, not in the 18.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 15:21 - Nov 23 with 1194 viewsgerry_us

Juniors recent record Club Games (goals)
2017—2018Maldon & Tiptree25(26)
2018—Colchester United10(1)
2018—2019→ Bromley (loan)25(6)
2019→ Derry City (loan)31(14)
Point made I think?
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 15:56 - Nov 23 with 1177 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 14:53 - Nov 23 by Moor_Pinot

Agree re Junior. He has to have a chance surely? It's December next week and our top scorer in the league has four 4 goals, all scored months back.

You nearly got the team Durham but Stevenson, who has been a wee bit better recently must be injured, not in the 18.

I think the difference between Bonne and Junior is that Junior never looked good enough when playing for the Us. Bonne did and is now Charlton’s second highest scorer in the Championship. Junior is 26 now so I’m sceptical he will suddenly become a League 2 standard striker.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 17:13 - Nov 23 with 1166 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 14:53 - Nov 23 by Moor_Pinot

Pinault - have only just got home after shopping expedition so no time yet to analyse U's performance. Suffice to say 1-0 up and manage to concede a late penalty.

Disappointing these are the games where all three points are required.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 18:39 - Nov 23 with 1148 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 17:13 - Nov 23 by durham_exile

Pinault - have only just got home after shopping expedition so no time yet to analyse U's performance. Suffice to say 1-0 up and manage to concede a late penalty.

Disappointing these are the games where all three points are required.

UTU's

Just back from the match. On face value, not a bad point away at Cheltenham to be honest. They are a good footballing side, play it fast and wide often, but squandered a few decent chances. We struggled to get in the game at times, but had periods when we showed our potential and caused them plenty of problems when we did - but we didn't do it enough.

Norris's goal looked messy, couldn't even tell it had gone in for a second or two, but it looked more a defensive cock-up than masterly U's skill. I wouldn't say we sat back second half, just spent most of the time chasing the ball as Cheltenham pinged it around on a slick surface, but for all their possession they still didn't trouble us too much, and for a moment I thought we might just hold or, or even nick a second on the break. Their goal resulted from Pell dithering on the ball and getting robbed whilst we were in a threatening position unfortunately. That being said, I'll want to see a replay of the penalty call, because from my vantage point Gerken's outstretched leg was nowhere near the swan lake diving forward.

However, on balance probably the fair result in the end, but frustrating because we could have come away with all three points.

Edit: and forgot to say, male lino inept, female lino got every call spot-on, referee just made it up as he went along...
[Post edited 23 Nov 2019 18:40]

Up the U's

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 19:47 - Nov 23 with 1129 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 18:39 - Nov 23 by wessex_exile

Just back from the match. On face value, not a bad point away at Cheltenham to be honest. They are a good footballing side, play it fast and wide often, but squandered a few decent chances. We struggled to get in the game at times, but had periods when we showed our potential and caused them plenty of problems when we did - but we didn't do it enough.

Norris's goal looked messy, couldn't even tell it had gone in for a second or two, but it looked more a defensive cock-up than masterly U's skill. I wouldn't say we sat back second half, just spent most of the time chasing the ball as Cheltenham pinged it around on a slick surface, but for all their possession they still didn't trouble us too much, and for a moment I thought we might just hold or, or even nick a second on the break. Their goal resulted from Pell dithering on the ball and getting robbed whilst we were in a threatening position unfortunately. That being said, I'll want to see a replay of the penalty call, because from my vantage point Gerken's outstretched leg was nowhere near the swan lake diving forward.

However, on balance probably the fair result in the end, but frustrating because we could have come away with all three points.

Edit: and forgot to say, male lino inept, female lino got every call spot-on, referee just made it up as he went along...
[Post edited 23 Nov 2019 18:40]

Wessex thanks for the update.

Was Pell fit I wonder.

Stevenson not even on the bench injured?

I suppose before the game we would have taken a point but we just cannot get close to the top seven.

Three points were needed today.

Still we move on Stevenage in the Trophy and then the Red Devils in the league.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 20:38 - Nov 23 with 1120 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 19:47 - Nov 23 by durham_exile

Wessex thanks for the update.

Was Pell fit I wonder.

Stevenson not even on the bench injured?

I suppose before the game we would have taken a point but we just cannot get close to the top seven.

Three points were needed today.

Still we move on Stevenage in the Trophy and then the Red Devils in the league.

UTU's

As Wesser says Cheltenham were decent and we were not good enough to get more than we did.
We do have some good players, but still the mix isn't quite right and there is some underperformance. We'd had two weeks off, they played on Tuesday.

If we are to be near the top 7 or 8 - & the top three are looking more and more consistent as are Northampton - I believe it is unlikely to happen until the stupid cup and the big League z Cup games are over. We're always useless over Christmas so I'm pinning my hopes on management resolving its selection problems and producing a settled side in the new year which can put together a run that will propel us northwards.
Return Robinson, rest Frank occasionally, drop Senior, find the most effective and creative midfield, sign Slew with some of the Cup money and we may be on the right line!

Moor Pinot

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 23:00 - Nov 23 with 1092 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 20:38 - Nov 23 by Moor_Pinot

As Wesser says Cheltenham were decent and we were not good enough to get more than we did.
We do have some good players, but still the mix isn't quite right and there is some underperformance. We'd had two weeks off, they played on Tuesday.

If we are to be near the top 7 or 8 - & the top three are looking more and more consistent as are Northampton - I believe it is unlikely to happen until the stupid cup and the big League z Cup games are over. We're always useless over Christmas so I'm pinning my hopes on management resolving its selection problems and producing a settled side in the new year which can put together a run that will propel us northwards.
Return Robinson, rest Frank occasionally, drop Senior, find the most effective and creative midfield, sign Slew with some of the Cup money and we may be on the right line!

There will be competition in spades for Slews signature.

Have just watched the highlights
Senior should have scored.
Pell badly at fault for losing ball cheaply.
The so called penalty was so soft I reckon Jacques Cousteau or Buster Crabbe had returned.

Still another point for the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 23:04 - Nov 23 with 1090 viewsGOSBTS

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 09:50 - Nov 23 by durham_exile

GOSBTS - enjoy the AMEX. I reckon it should be a good game.

Weather in Durham is very wet today and I suspect elsewhere too.

JM does have a problem with selection. he could play Comley Pell Stevenson and Lapslie in a four man midfield, but that squeezes out wingers altogether.

Equally if Senior and Harriott play then does he just go with two from the midfield four. It is a predicament. that's why he is the tactical genius of course!

Anyway I hope he plays my suggested midfield trio, just to see how they gel together.

UTU's

Thanks Durham! Despite the result (not quite as bad as the 4-0 drubbing I’d feared) it was an entertaining game and I had a great day. Leicester are bloody good and are worth their league position.

Solid point for the U’s today. Onwards and upwards, although another break is frustrating!
Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 10:54 - Nov 24 with 1059 viewswessex_exile

Cheltenham fans weren’t convinced about the penalty either...

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27141

Up the U's

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 13:46 - Nov 25 with 992 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 10:54 - Nov 24 by wessex_exile

Cheltenham fans weren’t convinced about the penalty either...

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27141

Interesting stuff Wessex.

Rueben Reid has always been a thorn in our side from his Exeter days.

I see that Chuck Norris said if we had VAR we would have won the game.

We would have won if Senior had scored when really well placed. But our problem is scoring one and then trying to defend.

Definitely two points thrown away.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to clip Robin's wings at the Johnny Rocks stadium! on 23:42 - Nov 25 with 954 viewsmfb_cufc

Chuck Norris said in the paper today they showed the ref the video of the penalty and the ref said "yeah, fair enough, its wrong. Thank you Mr Toner that's two points you owe us.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024