Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday 15:08 - Aug 26 with 1597 viewsdurham_exile

Our first home league victory of the season was achieved in a tight match against Northampton Town at the weekend. The balmy weather and the spectacular test Match result from Headingley has put a smile on people’s faces and that theme was witnessed with the result from the JobServe Community Stadium.

Now Tuesday evening is a rarity for the faithful, we normally (for the last 9 years) have had an evening off whilst the League Cup matches take place but this season, we get to play Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace’s Eagles at Selhurst Park.

Palace fresh from a victory at Old Trafford will be keen to dispense with Colchester United. But here’s the thing, if they can win at OT for the first time since 1989 then we can win at Selhurst Park since we won 3-1 in the Championship in 2006.

In fact, the last two games that I have been to against Palace were many years ago now. A narrow 3-2 defeat in Aug 75 when Malcolm Allison was their manager at Selhurst Park and Bobby Svarc and Ray Bunkell scored the goals and then a dismal 3-0 home defeat at Layer Road in January 76. I was standing in the Barside that day and it was very wet, and the guttering came down spraying the faithful with a combination of rainwater and rust and leaves. It was also one match in a wretched run of seven successive defeats, all of which I witnessed.

Tuesday night will be different, however. Will Roy make changes yes of course we will see Connor Wickham and Christian Benteke up front rather than Jordan Ayew and Wilfried Zaha. Perhaps Wayne Hennessey in goal and Patrick van Aanholt in the defence with Gary Cahill. Andros Townsend and Luka Milivojevic could play in midfield. But make no mistake Roy Hodgson will not want to lose and so the team will be strong.

For JM it is easy, no one (except me and a few of the faithful) gives Colchester any hope and so he can pick his strongest team and go on the attack.

Something like this:

Gerken

Jackson Prosser Eastman Clampin

Senior Comley Stevenson Gambin

Nouble Norris

Subs:
Ross Sowunmi Chilvers Poku Brown Cowan-Hall Bramall

The thinking would be the defence picks itself at present and Clampin has earned the right to start ahead of Bramall.

JM took Jevani Brown off and for some minutes operated with Senior and Gambin together. Let then both start at Selhurst Park.

Nouble and Norris should both start upfront. Make no mistake there is no point in playing an ultra-defensive 4,5,1 go for it with a 4,4,2 and use Brown as an impact player with 30 minutes to play if necessary.

Harry Pell is still not fit but hopefully he will be back soon.

Tuesday weather in Crystal Palace will be 27 degrees Celsius and sunny with no rain.

Over 14oo of the faithful will be supporting the team. Let us make it an occasion for the team to be proud of and look for that elusive Third Round draw.

Colchester to prevail 3-2 with Gambin and Chuck Norris to score the goals and we might get our 15 minutes of fame on Sky Sports News.

Safe journey to the faithful

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

[Post edited 26 Aug 2019 15:11]

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 17:39 - Aug 26 with 1051 viewsgerry_us

Did you leave your medication at my place?
Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 17:52 - Aug 26 with 1048 viewsmfb_cufc

Anybody fancying a U's win can get 22/1 with William Hill. A draw is a general 11/2.

Reading between the lines Gambin is not happy. In the media today he said "I have come on as a sub in every league game this season, which i find frustrating. I want to be playing more often". The fans can see he should be starting, but is obviously not one of McGreal's favourites. The only reason I can see for him not starting is the International break coming up on Saturday week means Gambin will be away, and McGreal wants a settled team. The way I see it is we should be getting as much out of Gambin as we can when he is available.

mfb

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 18:20 - Aug 26 with 1040 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 17:52 - Aug 26 by mfb_cufc

Anybody fancying a U's win can get 22/1 with William Hill. A draw is a general 11/2.

Reading between the lines Gambin is not happy. In the media today he said "I have come on as a sub in every league game this season, which i find frustrating. I want to be playing more often". The fans can see he should be starting, but is obviously not one of McGreal's favourites. The only reason I can see for him not starting is the International break coming up on Saturday week means Gambin will be away, and McGreal wants a settled team. The way I see it is we should be getting as much out of Gambin as we can when he is available.

Mick I'm sure there's an old joke about How do you make a Maltese Cross!

The irony here is that JM publicly praised Gambin when he arrived and stated that he was very special and clearly part of the set up.

Once again JM seems incapable of managing players correctly.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 18:21 - Aug 26 with 1037 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 17:39 - Aug 26 by gerry_us

Did you leave your medication at my place?

Gerry - remaining positive is the only way that we can achieve a victory at Selhurst Park.

That said it is time for my medication!

UTU's

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 10:57 - Aug 27 with 975 viewsdurham_exile

Clearly we are waiting for the line-ups this evening and although ours is pretty well nailed on, Palace will undoubtedly rest some of their top stars.

Possible Eagles team:

Hennessey

Ward Woods Dann van Aanholt

McCarthy Riedewald Camarasa Townsend

Wickham Schlupp

Personally RH would be ill advised to rest too many because we will smell the blood in the water and go for the jugular!!!!!!

Anyway it should be a classic. Great support from the faithful.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 18:52 - Aug 27 with 905 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 10:57 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Clearly we are waiting for the line-ups this evening and although ours is pretty well nailed on, Palace will undoubtedly rest some of their top stars.

Possible Eagles team:

Hennessey

Ward Woods Dann van Aanholt

McCarthy Riedewald Camarasa Townsend

Wickham Schlupp

Personally RH would be ill advised to rest too many because we will smell the blood in the water and go for the jugular!!!!!!

Anyway it should be a classic. Great support from the faithful.

Up the U's

Colchester line up as predicted

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Clampin

Senior Stevenson Comley Gambin

Nouble Norris

Subs
Ross Kensdale Chilvers James Brown Cowan-Hall Poku

Up the U's
[Post edited 27 Aug 2019 18:52]

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 19:01 - Aug 27 with 894 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 18:52 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Colchester line up as predicted

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Clampin

Senior Stevenson Comley Gambin

Nouble Norris

Subs
Ross Kensdale Chilvers James Brown Cowan-Hall Poku

Up the U's
[Post edited 27 Aug 2019 18:52]

Palace line up

Hennessey

Kelly Dann Woods

Riedewald McCarthy Camarasa Townsend

Meyer Wickham Benteke

Subs
Henderson Kouyate Ayew Zaha Cahill Tavares Kirby

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 19:19 - Aug 27 with 887 viewsburnsieespana

In the ground and looking forward to my second game in 4 days!
Third time I have been to watch Colchester at Selhurst Park and ground hardly seems to have changed!

Up the U'
Login to get fewer ads

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 19:21 - Aug 27 with 886 viewswessex_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 19:01 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Palace line up

Hennessey

Kelly Dann Woods

Riedewald McCarthy Camarasa Townsend

Meyer Wickham Benteke

Subs
Henderson Kouyate Ayew Zaha Cahill Tavares Kirby

Up the U's

Changing the guard at the Palace then - only Kelly started the match against Man Utd, with Benteke (75'), Townsend (80') and McCarthy (83') coming on as subs. Still going to be a tough game.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 20:04 - Aug 27 with 868 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 19:19 - Aug 27 by burnsieespana

In the ground and looking forward to my second game in 4 days!
Third time I have been to watch Colchester at Selhurst Park and ground hardly seems to have changed!

Up the U'

Burnsie enjoy the game
Good luck

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 20:32 - Aug 27 with 851 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 20:04 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Burnsie enjoy the game
Good luck

Palace holding us at half time 0-0

UTU's

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 20:37 - Aug 27 with 844 viewsnoah4x4

0-0 HT, riding our luck, two great saves from Gerkin, but not outclassed. Can we dream? 1,200 passionate U's fans in Selhurst Park can. We are making all the noise!
Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 20:45 - Aug 27 with 836 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 20:37 - Aug 27 by noah4x4

0-0 HT, riding our luck, two great saves from Gerkin, but not outclassed. Can we dream? 1,200 passionate U's fans in Selhurst Park can. We are making all the noise!

We are being kept up to date with in play highlights from Sky Sports News

Enjoy the second half Noah

Will Roy be forced to bring on Ayew and Zaha

UTU's

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 20:54 - Aug 27 with 829 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 20:45 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

We are being kept up to date with in play highlights from Sky Sports News

Enjoy the second half Noah

Will Roy be forced to bring on Ayew and Zaha

UTU's

Kelly off Cahill on

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:07 - Aug 27 with 822 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 20:54 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Kelly off Cahill on

Up the U's

Zaha on wickham off

In other news GRIMsby game abandoned thunderstorm and torrential rain.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:19 - Aug 27 with 810 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:07 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Zaha on wickham off

In other news GRIMsby game abandoned thunderstorm and torrential rain.

Come on the U's

Last throw of the dice for Roy, Ayew on for Meyer

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:22 - Aug 27 with 808 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:19 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Last throw of the dice for Roy, Ayew on for Meyer

Come on the U's

Stevenson off Chilvers on

UTU's

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:27 - Aug 27 with 803 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:22 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Stevenson off Chilvers on

UTU's

Gambin off Brown on

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:35 - Aug 27 with 796 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:27 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Gambin off Brown on

Senior off Cowan-Hall on

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:38 - Aug 27 with 794 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:35 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Senior off Cowan-Hall on

Penalties it is

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:46 - Aug 27 with 788 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:38 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Penalties it is

Come on the U's

Colu 2-1 after Townsend missed

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:51 - Aug 27 with 778 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:46 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

Chilvers a cool penalty and we win 5-4 on penalties

Draw is tomorrow

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:51 - Aug 27 with 778 viewswessex_exile

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:46 - Aug 27 by durham_exile

U's win it 5-4 on penalties!!!!!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:58 - Aug 27 with 758 viewsGOSBTS

YES, YES, YES, and because I’m also a Brighton fan, another YES!!!!!!!!!
Colchester's standard to fly highest against the Eagles on Tuesday on 21:59 - Aug 27 with 756 viewsTheHappyGooner

Superb

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024