Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's 14:07 - Dec 17 with 2289 viewsdurham_exile

It has seemed like an absolute age since the Carabao Cup Quarter Finals draw was made, but it is almost upon us now. The U’s warmed up for the game by taking a point at Scunthorpe on Saturday whilst Manchester United huffed and puffed against a resurgent Everton team and managed a draw. This of course is their achilles heel this season. They struggle against teams that they really should put away but save their best performances for the big teams and occasions.

Now an element of reality suggests that Colchester have little chance against their illustrious opponents on Wednesday night. Don’t forget that it is an 8pm start at Old Trafford and so we all face a late finish and journey home. But it will all be worth it.

Lets get the moans out of the way first. Our game is the only one not being televised. Something to do with the fact that the media generally dislike Colchester. Certainly, Jeff Stelling does. But like Millwall everyone hates us, but we don’t care. If you live in over 25 foreign countries, you can stream the game live. It is an absolute nonsense but all the more reason why I truly hope that we can overcome the odds and produce a third giant-killing act to see off the Red Devils.

Everyone knows that we have played Manchester United twice before. I was at Layer Road in 1979 for the famous FA Cup tie where we were unlucky not to achieve a replay. Jimmy Greenhoff securing a Manchester win with an 85th minute goal.

But Wednesday night will be extra special because in front of over 60,000 the Super U’s will be roared on by 5,500 of the faithful (plus some in the Stretford End). The game will be a money spinner for Colchester and will take earnings from the Carabao Cup so far to close on £800,000. Absolutely invaluable cash for our club.

Now it seems that everyone has a view on what team Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (OGS) will field for this match. I have seen four different line ups. His problem is that although he will rotate his large squad with Christmas coming up and important league matches, he cannot play too weakened a team because the defeat must be unthinkable for them.

One thing is certain Paul Pogba will not play. No surprise there. Whatever you view of Manchester United they have not been well served by Pogba who apparently is now ill after his long lay off with a leg injury. My advice to United is ship him out in the transfer window for £150M. The guy is toxic and not worth the hassle.

I think OGS will go with:

Sergio Romero

Diogo Dalot Axel Tuanzebe Phil Jones Brandon Williams

James Garner Nemanja Matic Juan Mata

Daniel James Andreas Pereira

Mason Greenwood

Subs:
Lee Grant (GK) Marcus Rashford, Fred, Ethan Laird, Tahith Chong, Harry Maguire, Scott McTominay

Thinking a mixture of youth and experience. Mason Greenwood is the one player that I really fear. He is lightning fast and a natural finisher. Unlike Parrott for Spurs who was hyped up in the previous game (before Crawley) Greenwood is the real deal and a very exciting prospect.

Phil Jones may play along Tuanzebe. OGS must show an element of confidence in the man who has a five-year deal. Matic has experience and I have always liked Mata. Brandon Williams is like Cohen Bramall and will be challenging for regular first team football. Dalot hasn’t played for 10 weeks but Ashley Young may not be risked in what is his final season at OT.

Daniel James is rapid and will be a better player next season. He often lacks a cool finish when well placed but will look to provide Greenwood with ammunition on Wednesday.

The bench is deliberately strong just in case OGS needs some extra firepower. Hence Rashford and Chong. McTominay and Fred will also be in the wings if needed. OGS has plenty to call upon.

JM by contrast will be hoping that Courtney Senior recovers in time from his injury at Scunny. I have my doubts, however. It will be a real shame for the youngster who did not look comfortable on Saturday.

The back five are relatively straightforward with the tried and trusted back four protecting one of the better goalkeepers in the lower leagues.

In midfield JM is reluctant to play my dream team midfield of Stevenson Comley and Pell because it limits his winger options. That means that Callum Harriott will come in for Senior. The front three will be Poku, Chuck and Big Frank.

Dean Gerken

Ryan Jackson Tom Eastman Luke Prosser Cohen Bramall

Brandon Comley Harry Pell Callum Harriott

Kwame Poku Luke Norris Frank Nouble

Subs:

Ethan Ross Tom Lapslie Omar Sowunmi Ryan Clampin Luke Gambin Ben Stevenson Junior

On the bench the dependable Tom Lapslie plus Omar Sowunmi, Ryan Clampin, Luke Gambin, Ben Stevenson and Junior. Stevenson must get some game time. His performances deserve and I would give Junior 20 minutes if necessary. Manchester United know nothing about him and he could shock the OT faithful. If JM is unable to play Junior, then Jevani Brown should be given a chance to impress.

This is a bonus game for the U’s. No inspirational team talk needed. If you don’t look forward to this game, then you shouldn’t be in football. We have absolutely nothing to lose, all the pressure is on United. JM needs his team to start strong and look to take the game to the Red Devils.

There is no point in sitting back or attempting to contain them. Go for the jugular; yes of course there will be periods when we need to soak up pressure but the faithful want to see their team go forward and be positive.

Rochdale forced a draw and penalties at OT earlier in the season. There is no reason why Colchester cannot do the same or similar. I truly believe that we can win the game.

The other ties are:

Aston Villa v Liverpool (Reserves)
Everton v Leicester
Oxford United v Man City

Keep the dates open in January 2020, we might have a two leg Semi-Final to contest.

The Old Trafford weather is likely to be wet with 82% precipitation and 7 degrees Celsius. A shame because the rain will dampen spirits, but we have played in a lot worse over the years.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful. The convoy of coaches, boats, aircraft, trains and the myriad of cars taking the 5,500 to OT.

Enjoy the game. I know that I will and here’s hoping that we will be celebrating at around 10pm or later if penalties come to play on Wednesday evening.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 15:24]

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 15:06 - Dec 17 with 1524 viewsMadeira163

And planes
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 15:14 - Dec 17 with 1520 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 15:06 - Dec 17 by Madeira163

And planes

A thousand apologies, I totally overlooked the planes.

Safe flight.
Enjoy the game

UTU's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 17:12 - Dec 17 with 1489 viewsbwildered

Colchester are looking to become the first English side from outside the top three tiers of English football to win away at Manchester United since Portsmouth in a January 1907 FA Cup first-round replay - Pompey were then a non-league side.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 17:19 - Dec 17 with 1485 viewsnoah4x4

I just read that Nemanja Matic has been recalled....

...... by Whirlpool, along with half a million other Indesit, Hotpoint and other 'matics.
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 17:20 - Dec 17 with 1485 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 17:12 - Dec 17 by bwildered

Colchester are looking to become the first English side from outside the top three tiers of English football to win away at Manchester United since Portsmouth in a January 1907 FA Cup first-round replay - Pompey were then a non-league side.

bwildered I read that fact today.
It gives an indication of just what a tall order it will be for us to win but I believe we can prevail.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 17:20 - Dec 17 with 1484 viewsnoah4x4

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 15:14 - Dec 17 by durham_exile

Safe flight.
Enjoy the game

UTU's

What about bikes?
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 17:24 - Dec 17 with 1480 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 17:20 - Dec 17 by noah4x4

What about bikes?

Wish I hadn't started the transport theme now!

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 17:34 - Dec 17 with 1476 viewsnoah4x4

Ole Gunner Solskjaer.

Anagram....

A general loss or junk.

Here is hoping!
Login to get fewer ads

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 19:52 - Dec 17 with 1443 viewswessex_exile

Stirring stuff as ever Durham - excellent work!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 21:31 - Dec 17 with 1424 viewsmfb_cufc

bwildered has given a good stat. Here are some more for those who haven't read them on the BBC website.

This is only the third ever meeting between Manchester United and Colchester United - the Red Devils won the other two, 1-0 in the FA Cup in 1979 and 2-0 in the League Cup in 1983.

Colchester are set to play their first away match against Manchester United in any competition. Each of the past six English teams to play their first away game against the Red Devils have lost, most recently Crawley Town in 2011 - the last to win their first such game was Wimbledon in May 1987.

Manchester United have been eliminated from three of their past five EFL Cup quarter-finals, losing most recently in 2017-18 against Bristol City.

This is Colchester's first appearance in the League Cup quarter-finals since 1974-75, when they faced Aston Villa and lost 2-1. Their gap of 45 seasons between quarter-final appearances is the second longest ever, behind only Cardiff City's 46-season gap between 1965-66 and 2011-12.

Manchester United have progressed from all 10 of their previous League Cup ties against fourth-tier opposition, most recently in October 2011 against Aldershot Town.

Colchester have already eliminated two Premier League teams in the 2019-20 EFL Cup - Crystal Palace in the second round and Spurs in the third round. Only one fourth-tier team has eliminated three in one season, with Bradford City doing so in 2012-13 on their way to the final (Wigan, Arsenal and Aston Villa).

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has progressed from all four of his EFL Cup ties as a manager - two with Cardiff City in 2014-15 and two with Manchester United this season.

mfb

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 21:38 - Dec 17 with 1421 viewsdurham_exile

Aston Villa 5 - 0 Liverpool lads

UTU's
[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 21:39]

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 23:17 - Dec 17 with 1384 viewsGOSBTS

Great preview as ever Durham. I had to duck out of this one due to cost and working on Thursday, but I will be feeling envious of the 5500 faithful making the trek tomorrow! I have bought myself a radio so I can tune in and listen to all the coverage on Radio Essex.

Obviously Utd are favourites but the U's have every reason to believe that the impossible can happen. I fancy Norris to score. Whether that is pivotal or a mere consolation for the 5500, who knows!

Up the U's and safe travels to all of you who are going!
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 23:21 - Dec 17 with 1383 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 23:17 - Dec 17 by GOSBTS

Great preview as ever Durham. I had to duck out of this one due to cost and working on Thursday, but I will be feeling envious of the 5500 faithful making the trek tomorrow! I have bought myself a radio so I can tune in and listen to all the coverage on Radio Essex.

Obviously Utd are favourites but the U's have every reason to believe that the impossible can happen. I fancy Norris to score. Whether that is pivotal or a mere consolation for the 5500, who knows!

Up the U's and safe travels to all of you who are going!

GOSBTS sorry you can't be there.

It is going to be a special night.

OGS has to be careful with his team selection.
We need to play very well and they just need to be slightly off the pace to create an upset.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 07:55 - Dec 18 with 1328 viewsnoah4x4

U's to come out of the blocks fast, win penalty, not give it to Nouble, Nosser scores, then ten man midfield playing an extreme high offside line strangle Manure. Most boring dull defensive game ever, but who cares how we win. History in the making just as Lambert falls out of fan favour at Poorman Road. Perfect timing to capture a new generation of young fans.
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 09:32 - Dec 18 with 1308 viewsburnsieespana

Good luck Colchester and sadly couldn't make it as off to Jordan for Christmas in a day or two but my heart will be with you all and hope to be watching from Spain.

Two omens.....I am being Santa this afternoon and I had a dream during the night that Chuck scores a fluke goal after 23 minutes and the we hang on to win!

Safe travel to you all however you go to Manchester.

Come on the mighty U's let the TV know they should have been showing you tonight!
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 09:38 - Dec 18 with 1304 viewsMadeira163

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 15:14 - Dec 17 by durham_exile

Safe flight.
Enjoy the game

UTU's

Advance party landed
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 10:09 - Dec 18 with 1298 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 09:38 - Dec 18 by Madeira163

Advance party landed

Good news
How is the weather in Manchester
It is cold frosty and foggy in Durham.

But a warm front predicted for tonight followed by mass hysteria and elation later after 10pm

UTU's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 16:57 - Dec 18 with 1250 viewsoxfcolu

Enjoy the match all you lucky people. Unfortunately working.
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 17:09 - Dec 18 with 1244 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 16:57 - Dec 18 by oxfcolu

Enjoy the match all you lucky people. Unfortunately working.

Currently on M61 approx 9 miles from the ground.

Weather wet and down to 1 degree

Safe journey everyone

UTU's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 18:14 - Dec 18 with 1228 viewsLeadbelly

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 17:09 - Dec 18 by durham_exile

Currently on M61 approx 9 miles from the ground.

Weather wet and down to 1 degree

Safe journey everyone

UTU's

Wet and windy in the city centre...as usual.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 18:38 - Dec 18 with 1224 viewspwrightsknees

Good luck tonight U's and U's fans everywhere.

And to those travelling to the match, a huge "well done". Enjoy the occasion, even if we don't win. I just hope we get at least one goal to give you all something to cheer on the night.

And safe travelling to everyone.

Up the Super U's.
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 18:58 - Dec 18 with 1219 viewseagledares

enjoy the game everyone, unfortunately i am stuck in ipswich hospital, but am looking forward to waking up a few tractor boys with cries of come on the u's through the evening, have to get your fun where you can lol
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 19:34 - Dec 18 with 1192 viewsgerry_us

Just seen the teams. Man U obviously taking us seriously!
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 20:56 - Dec 18 with 1171 viewsnoah4x4

HT. 0-0.
80% Manure possession but they can’t get past our 5, 5, 0, 0 formation.
Hope for us on the break. We won a corner and had a shot!
Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 23:21 - Dec 18 with 1117 viewsgerry_us

Red Devils to be shocked at OT by Cup supremos, the Super U's on 20:56 - Dec 18 by noah4x4

HT. 0-0.
80% Manure possession but they can’t get past our 5, 5, 0, 0 formation.
Hope for us on the break. We won a corner and had a shot!

Was somewhat concerned ten minutes into the second half but eventually was very happy to finish 3-0.
Later TV reports suggested Man U initial side cost £200m to acquire (£80m for Maguire alone) and U's £100k... for Harry Pell. Puts our a three nil loss away from home into perspective rather.
Now I know I always grumble about big Frank...but a "left back" he surely isnt.
So sorry I could be there tonight but managed to watch on tv and credit to the Us fans, outnumbered 10 to 1 whose singing could be heard over everything that Man U fans managed.
Back to reality Saturday and whilst we must defend as well as we did for 80 minutes tonight we will have to show more intent going forward than we were able tonight.
Safe journey home to everyone. Tonight will be a talking point for several years.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024