Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS 18:38 - Oct 18 with 1195 viewsdurham_exile

I'm keeping this very short this week because I'm away in Cornwall.

The league's longest serving manager Jim Bentley brings his Morecambe team to do battle with the league's 10th longest serving manager JM veteran of 172 Colchester league and cup games.

We embark on another tough week which will see us take on the Railwaymen and the Exiles.

But tomorrow is all about three points and after last season's 0-0 draw we should be looking at a comfortable home victory somewhere in the region of 6-0.

Team
Gerken
Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall
Wiredu Lapslie Comley
Nouble Poku Robinson

Subs
Ross Harriott Clampin Stevenson Gambin Norris Sowunmi

Weather 15 degrees Celsius and sunny with cloudy intervals

Enjoy the game

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 19:52 - Oct 18 with 1183 viewswessex_exile

I'll happily take that prediction Durham - enjoy the break sir!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 20:47 - Oct 18 with 1166 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 19:52 - Oct 18 by wessex_exile

I'll happily take that prediction Durham - enjoy the break sir!

Wessex the law of averages suggests one of my outrageous predictions must bear fruit eventually.

Frankly if we are serious about promotion then Morecambe must be despatched in readiness for the difficult games against top seven opponents

Attack them from the off and strike early.
No room for sentiment tomorrow.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 07:52 - Oct 19 with 1126 viewsGOSBTS

Hope you’re having a lovely holiday Durham! God willing I shall be in attendance at the Community Stadium today. Could be my last home game for a while due to how the games are all falling on busy weekends from now on for me.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the same starting XI we had against Stevenage (bar putting in Gambin perhaps), because it ensured we had firepower to bring off the bench if it’s not going to plan. I fear starting Wiredu, Poku et all throws all our eggs in one basket. Alas, due to Morecambe’s lowly position I hope it shouldn’t matter overly much and we coast to a comfortable victory.

Must say I shall have more than half an eye on events at Parliament today.

Up the mighty U’s!
Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 14:34 - Oct 19 with 1084 viewsMoor_Pinot

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 20:47 - Oct 18 by durham_exile

Wessex the law of averages suggests one of my outrageous predictions must bear fruit eventually.

Frankly if we are serious about promotion then Morecambe must be despatched in readiness for the difficult games against top seven opponents

Attack them from the off and strike early.
No room for sentiment tomorrow.

UTU's

Brown not even on the bench!?

Moor Pinot

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 14:42 - Oct 19 with 1081 viewswessex_exile

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 14:34 - Oct 19 by Moor_Pinot

Brown not even on the bench!?

Harriott starts though!

Up the U's

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 14:47 - Oct 19 with 1078 viewswessex_exile

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 14:42 - Oct 19 by wessex_exile

Harriott starts though!

...and Kettle is the referee dammit :-(

Up the U's

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 15:51 - Oct 19 with 1062 viewsgerry_us

Half time 0-0.
And I thought politics was annoying!
Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 15:52 - Oct 19 with 1059 viewswessex_exile

Very dull first half, there's going to have to be much more urgency from the U's if we're to get anything from this. If anything, it sounded like Morecambe had the better chances to break the deadlock.

Time for a McGreal inspirational team talk at half-time...

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 17:01 - Oct 19 with 1047 viewsgerry_us

Unbelievable.
Surely McG cannot survive this embarrasment...please.
Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 17:02 - Oct 19 with 1046 viewsburnsieespana

What a bloody disaster.
Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 17:25 - Oct 19 with 1029 viewsnoah4x4

Just got home. Worse than at Crawley.

Can’t blame McGreal for this. Midfield didn’t compete; forwards hopeless. Could have been 0-3 if not for Gerken. Terrible!
Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 17:42 - Oct 19 with 1026 viewsgerry_us

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 17:25 - Oct 19 by noah4x4

Can’t blame McGreal for this. Midfield didn’t compete; forwards hopeless. Could have been 0-3 if not for Gerken. Terrible!

Well who determines the way we play then if not the manager?
Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 18:02 - Oct 19 with 1019 viewsbwildered

The official word is probably inept, but there must be plenty four letter words to describe this display.
Truly, madly, deeply awful .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 18:08 - Oct 19 with 1018 viewsMoor_Pinot

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 18:02 - Oct 19 by bwildered

The official word is probably inept, but there must be plenty four letter words to describe this display.
Truly, madly, deeply awful .

I'll not go on - no point.

All so entirely predictable -
the ill prepared, demotivated, passionless trash on field, the hapless response from the sidelines.

That's the U's.

In other news, Porter 2, Bonne, Collins, Mandron, Guthrie, Fosu Henry....... all scorers.

That's all.

Moor Pinot

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 18:16 - Oct 19 with 1014 viewsLeadbelly

My first game since Northampton and words fail me. I’ll just mention two snippets I overheard from others...at half time “that was dog sh1t” and after the final whistle “that was really bad”. Can’t disagree with either.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 18:29 - Oct 19 with 1007 viewsbwildered

Even Henrik Larsson would turn us down on that performance !!

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 18:40 - Oct 19 with 1001 viewsGOSBTS

Well, that was awful.

First half wasn't great. The U's came out with intensity in the first minute and I thought this would continue, but it didn't. I wasn't panicking at half time though. Attacking towards the South stand and felt we would threaten more as the game went on. Boy, was I wrong! The second half was worse than the first. Aside from the usual suspects (Lapslie, Eastman, Nouble), the rest didn't have any fight in them. It was telling that when the Morecambe goal went in, the crowd responded in apathy, not anger.

Both players and manager have to take responsibility for this. Again, whatever McGreal said in his half time team did nothing to motivate them. My fears of the starting line up were confirmed. Starting Wiredu, Robinson and Poku really overplays our hand. Sure, we have a better Plan A, but no Plan B. When Wiredu came on against Stevenage, he instantly changed things for us with his surging runs. By the end of the game we had Senior and Gambin, wingers, not playing on the wings. On a human level, I feel for McGreal if he is struggling to adapt to having such a big squad, as we all have trouble adapting to things in our respective professions. On a footballing level, I look at Paul Lambert with a big squad at Ipswich, counting it as a blessing and not being afraid to drop players if they're not good enough, because there are others waiting in the wings.

Players have to look at themselves too though. Very telling that the best cross of the game, for all our wing play, was delivered by Eastman. Tom Eastman.

Need to eat, will add further thoughts/rantings later!
Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 19:22 - Oct 19 with 985 viewsthrillseeker

Well in 42 seasons of watching U's that performance ranks in the Top 10 worst I have seen. Truly appalling.

One player comes out of the match with real credit and that is Dean Gerken.

OK player was Eastman

Real poor - Robinson, Bramall, Nouble

Poor - the rest

How did Lapslie get MOM?

I didn't think we could ever again be as bad as Crawley 2nd half but alas today was much worse.

Stevenson needs to play as he has a football brain. Missed Comley

MCGreal has a lot to answer for today
Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 22:58 - Oct 19 with 941 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 18:40 - Oct 19 by GOSBTS

Well, that was awful.

First half wasn't great. The U's came out with intensity in the first minute and I thought this would continue, but it didn't. I wasn't panicking at half time though. Attacking towards the South stand and felt we would threaten more as the game went on. Boy, was I wrong! The second half was worse than the first. Aside from the usual suspects (Lapslie, Eastman, Nouble), the rest didn't have any fight in them. It was telling that when the Morecambe goal went in, the crowd responded in apathy, not anger.

Both players and manager have to take responsibility for this. Again, whatever McGreal said in his half time team did nothing to motivate them. My fears of the starting line up were confirmed. Starting Wiredu, Robinson and Poku really overplays our hand. Sure, we have a better Plan A, but no Plan B. When Wiredu came on against Stevenage, he instantly changed things for us with his surging runs. By the end of the game we had Senior and Gambin, wingers, not playing on the wings. On a human level, I feel for McGreal if he is struggling to adapt to having such a big squad, as we all have trouble adapting to things in our respective professions. On a footballing level, I look at Paul Lambert with a big squad at Ipswich, counting it as a blessing and not being afraid to drop players if they're not good enough, because there are others waiting in the wings.

Players have to look at themselves too though. Very telling that the best cross of the game, for all our wing play, was delivered by Eastman. Tom Eastman.

Need to eat, will add further thoughts/rantings later!

Supporting Colchester United is never predictable except when we implode in successive games.

The strange thing is we will probably now despatch both Crewe and Newport before seeing off Crawley.

Clearly my holiday is playing havoc with my senses.

My prediction was close again as well!!!!!!!

UTU's

Durham_exile

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 01:16 - Oct 20 with 922 viewsmfb_cufc

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 17:25 - Oct 19 by noah4x4

Sorry noah but I don't see why you think McGreal is not to blame. He picks the team (doesn't know what his best one is), decides the tactics (but everybody in football know what they are), supposedly motivates the team (but that is debatable), and change things when Plan A is not working (has no Plan B anyway). It is no coincidence that Morecambe have now kept three clean sheets in a row at the Jobserve Stadium. They know exactly how to stop this one dimensional team from playing.

mfb

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 09:17 - Oct 20 with 893 viewsGOSBTS

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 01:16 - Oct 20 by mfb_cufc

Sorry noah but I don't see why you think McGreal is not to blame. He picks the team (doesn't know what his best one is), decides the tactics (but everybody in football know what they are), supposedly motivates the team (but that is debatable), and change things when Plan A is not working (has no Plan B anyway). It is no coincidence that Morecambe have now kept three clean sheets in a row at the Jobserve Stadium. They know exactly how to stop this one dimensional team from playing.

That's an excellent point about Morecambe mic and something that crossed my mind while in the stands yesterday. There is absolutely nothing about the Shrimpers that means we shouldn't have scored against them in any of our home meetings with them recently. In fact, the Morecambe fan in the interview section said that they are awful defensively and that he was worried that we'd exploit it! Aside from a few balls over the top on the flanks in the first half, they handled us pretty easily defensively. This can't be a coincidence, seeing as we have been one dimensional for a while now, like you say mfb.

We lacked a lot of creativity in the middle of the park by the end of the game. Teams like City are so good because they win the game in the middle of the pitch. In the last 20 minutes we didn't even have a recognisable midfield and we got worse and worse because of it.

Robinson did not have a good day.

You are right though Durham, we might just go on to record good results against Crewe and Newport! Predictably unpredictable.
Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 10:56 - Oct 20 with 880 viewsnoah4x4

Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 01:16 - Oct 20 by mfb_cufc

The issue is simple (IMHO). Senior, Harriott, Wiredhu and Poku are all wonderful individual footballers (note I exclude Brown). They can be great when the ball is at their feet. The problem is that they lose the ball too often and are incapable of winning it back, partly due to a lack of willingness to put in any defensive shift leaving our back four exposed.

Other than player selection, I can't see how a manager can change this as it's down to individual player skills and mistakes. McGreal will be as frustrated as we that the midfield seem incapable of working together going forward or in defence. We urgently need Pell paired with Lapslie to offer midfield bite and send the kids back to the U23s. Opposition teams are simply packing the midfield and snuffing out our talented boys. Until Pell returns, I would focus on more defensive options and look to sneak wins that are ground out. Dull to watch maybe, but playing five wholly attack minded players that seemingly can't keep the ball or complete a pass to each other is our downfall, not helped by our other attacking option, Brown proving utterly useless.

EDIT
Just realised I didn’t even mention Robinson. Rightly substituted- was awful. Again, if I was McGreal I would be as frustrated as hell with this bunch. Who pulls the shots with player recruitment? Should it really be “Humes Out”?
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 13:10]
Shrimps to be potted at JobServe CS on 12:53 - Oct 20 with 861 viewsbwildered

Don't get stressed everyone, it's the start of our usual ten match winless run .

Agree Noah , just do not do the simple things properly, first and foremost .
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 13:39]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024