Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting comment in Daily Gazette 15:04 - Sep 4 with 1404 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Apologies for elevating a few of my topics, not my intention. I was beginning a new thread and a visitor arrived.

The new thread was in response to an observation by 'RB Lexden' who makes some very valid points that relate to the back room staffing structure at Colchester United.

I too have often wondered why we have a Sporting Director, Technical Director and a Head of Recruitment ( if that is what they are titled ).

We are currently what l term a 'Fourth Division Club' and from what I have observed over recent seasons there is not much prospect of putting in a challenge at the top end of the table.

Having scanned the staffing structures across our division there does not appear to be another club anywhere near this overhead and expence.

Should that be of concern?

Interesting comment in Daily Gazette on 17:18 - Jan 29 with 986 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I sent an early morning complaint to the Colchester Gazette this morning in response to publishing yet another restaurant / takeaway review relating to 'Burgers'.

It's many years since l was employed by The Evening Gazette ( as it was then known ) but rest assured the paper did not publish what l referred to today as xxxxxxx burger xxxx drivel.

The journalist responded within a few minutes and l suggested he made the content of my email known to the editor or raised the issue in the next editorial meeting.

However, l'm not even sure if The Colchester Gazette has an editor or still holds editorial meetings.

The Gazette appear to be employing young and inexperience staff who l actually feel rather sorry for. I can also confirm that the journalist l emailed mentioned the fact that he is 'not paid enough'.....l hope he has enough for a lunchtime burger.

I also learned from a friend over the weekend who is involved in music content for the BBC that he is currently doing so 'unpaid'. Worse still, they are not even paying his travelling expenses.

Mainstream media is in freefall and the effects of that are both audible and visible.

Some big cuts have taken place at BBC News 24 with several senior staff being 'transferred' to Sky News and GB News ( and more to follow ).
Interesting comment in Daily Gazette on 18:10 - Jan 29 with 962 viewsSparkfilmsTV

A few moments after my post relating to the 'Burgers' l sent an apology to the young journalist.

These guys have got to start somewhere. New media and social media is a pressure cooker for some and l don't want to make their day any more difficult than it already is.

Having said that we are seeing a decline in journalism and content particularly in the regional sector.

The circulation of the Colchester Gazette has dropped to below 4,000 which would appear to be unsustainable.

I suppose every post on forums such as this has an impact on the way information is processed and an 'audience' reached and l know some of the content we discuss on here is sometimes of value to mainstream media.

PS. Thanks to anyone following 'Tigers at Layer Road'. ( Some very interesting visitors! ).
Interesting comment in Daily Gazette on 08:39 - Feb 6 with 838 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I was not aware that a senior member of staff at The Gazette had left their position a few months ago. Scanning through the list of 'journalists' who are still employed by the paper it becomes obvious that the publication is on life support.

Looking through the list of papers and other periodicals that come under the ownership of Newsquest you get the impression that some of these titles are virtually run by trainees and volunteers.

There are several hundred publications listed, some of which appear to be operated by just a handful of individuals who may also be expected to contribute to other titles listed by Newsquest.

The digital audience outstrips the paper audience by such a factor that it only seems a matter of time before Newsquest's parent company in the US pull the plug on many of the UK regionals.
Interesting comment in Daily Gazette on 10:02 - Feb 6 with 815 viewsburnsieespana

Interesting comment in Daily Gazette on 08:39 - Feb 6 by SparkfilmsTV

I was not aware that a senior member of staff at The Gazette had left their position a few months ago. Scanning through the list of 'journalists' who are still employed by the paper it becomes obvious that the publication is on life support.

Looking through the list of papers and other periodicals that come under the ownership of Newsquest you get the impression that some of these titles are virtually run by trainees and volunteers.

There are several hundred publications listed, some of which appear to be operated by just a handful of individuals who may also be expected to contribute to other titles listed by Newsquest.

The digital audience outstrips the paper audience by such a factor that it only seems a matter of time before Newsquest's parent company in the US pull the plug on many of the UK regionals.

Regional newspapers have been in terminal decline for 15 years.
My son was a journalist on a regional and when he started with them 15 years ago they had 12 journalists and today the same paper has 2.
Newsquest income relies upon subscribers and low cost advertising.
The print industry has over the last 3 or 4 years become a lot more canny with extracting money for reading digitally so.ething they should have realised many years ago but guess they thought advertising would soar due to high on line reading.
Interesting comment in Daily Gazette on 11:34 - Feb 6 with 797 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Forums such as this allow us to discuss multiple topics and media is something that interests me.

I have just written a piece for GB News - to be fair to The Gazette they have published part of this story and the case is due to be heard at The Old Bailey in March.

Colchester has changed beyond recognition over the past 10 years and especially so in the past two years.

What l have supplied GB News with is too sensitive to discuss on here but partly relates to an arrest being made a few doors away from my home recently. We used to hear screaming coming from the property and since the male occupant has been removed and is now subject to a restriction order the screaming has stopped.

Suffice to say, that individual is of a 'certain faith'.
Interesting comment in Daily Gazette on 12:43 - Feb 6 with 772 viewsTheOldOakTree

Interesting comment in Daily Gazette on 11:34 - Feb 6 by SparkfilmsTV

Forums such as this allow us to discuss multiple topics and media is something that interests me.

I have just written a piece for GB News - to be fair to The Gazette they have published part of this story and the case is due to be heard at The Old Bailey in March.

Colchester has changed beyond recognition over the past 10 years and especially so in the past two years.

What l have supplied GB News with is too sensitive to discuss on here but partly relates to an arrest being made a few doors away from my home recently. We used to hear screaming coming from the property and since the male occupant has been removed and is now subject to a restriction order the screaming has stopped.

Suffice to say, that individual is of a 'certain faith'.

I'm with you on this, it’s definitely their religion that makes them bad.

Lucy Letby, Wayne Couzens, Fred and Rose, Ian Huntley, Harold Shipman, Denis Neilson, Michael Ryan, Raoul Moat…….

How much longer are we going to put up with these Chr#sti@ns?

I blame the EU and the ULEZ

Just wait until the Boomers find out that Werther's Originals are made by a German company, Gammon News will go into melt down.

Nurse, Nurse, NURSE.........
[Post edited 6 Feb 14:15]
Interesting comment in Daily Gazette on 13:26 - Mar 26 with 335 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Have just had a guided tour of the former offices of The Gazette and Essex County Standard.

Quite a bit of square footage there now vacant.

It's a fantastic work space for the right kind of business.

The contractors are doing a splendid refurb and there is not the slightest hint that a newspaper head office had occupied the space.

So, the burning question is - Where did they move to?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024